User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Wellbutrin XL Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL to treat Major Depressive Disorder

"I have been quite depressed with extreme anxiety, obsessive and compulsive behaviors, Extremely hard addiction to nicotine and some dissociative-psychotic features since 2016 and tried a whole different variety of SSRIS, SNRIS, Mood Stabilizers, but this one at 225mg XL 7 Day is like a custom-made pill for me! 0 desire to smoke, 100 desire to live, socialise, feel empathy and have healthy relationships, the anxiety I can't say for sure it's completely away but i can say for sure that it has lowered at least 65% I feel like I had gone to sleep in 2015 and waked up in december 2017, no side effects so far."

Guerra Dávila (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

"I’m hypersensitive to everything so I was very nervous to start this medication knowing that it would probably cause anxiety symptoms and I already have an anxiety and panic disorder. But I was very happy to find out that it did not affect me that way at all. I have not felt the jitters that I heard about or anxiety. I have not been on it long; I just started it within the last few days. I’m on 150mg/1X a day for now. I’m just very happy to find out that I am not suffering from a bunch of side effects (knock on wood)."

MzCat (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

"Dealing with PTSD for 20+ years has been a blurry nightmare with very few gasps of air. My anger had gotten uncontrollable even though I thought it was. I have been on haldol, lexapro, and a couple of others . I have to admit welbutrin saved my marriage and more. The first few weeks were pretty rough but after that I can actually end an argument or conversation that's not going well without blowing up .."

77survivor November 29, 2017

"I was taking this for about 6 years. From 13-18. I had a few spotty teen years where I would barely take the meds and I ended up in the hospital many times. I had a very weird and high sex drive and right when I got off it went away. I had intense night terrors and would start yelling in my sleep, I would sweat so much it looked like I wet myself. The nightmares got so vivid and intense I was confusing reality with my dreams, I would constantly have to ask people if something had happened or not. I lost weight when I was taking this regularly. I've been off for almost two years, and all that being said I think I may start it up again. It was one of the only depression meds that kept my emotions but kept the bad ones away for the most part"

Willowd677 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 2, 2017

"I'm on 150 mg Wellbutrin XL's, and since I've started taking them, I've noticed my dreams are extremely vivid and disturbing, I'm getting confused easily, major insomnia, which isn't normal for me by any means. Was on Prozac, then Lexapro, switched to celexa after 3 doses, and now I'm stuck with Wellbutrin. I was told to push through and keep taking it, but all of my experiences with stimulants with an amphetemine base have been unpleasant. Im probably going to discontinue it, I'd rather be unmedicated than lose days of sleep and have horrible dreams whenever I can sleep. Not a great experience imo"

TedB (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2017

"In the last 6 years I have taken a few meds for my depression. Started with Lexapro which helped but caused very quick weight gain. Switched to Cymbalta which caused rash. Switched quickly to Prozac which caused horrible dreams and sexual issues!! Was then put on Wellbutrin by a psych NPR because of my issues with weight gain and sexual side effects. Drug was a miracle for me!!! Lost 45lbs in 2 years after starting it and sexual side effects disappeared!! Started out on 150mg a day but upped to 300mg a day when I had a depressive episode!! Since upping dose have had no issues other than unusual dreams, but can live with that!! Nothings perfect!!!"

hackgolfpro September 13, 2017

"I had to stop the drug after 5 doses as it gave me tinnitus. I was not prepared to possibly risk hearing damage."

BJ1097 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

"So I was on Lexapro 20mg for 3 months and it helped somewhat with my very SEVERE depression that I was suffering from with severe anxiety, It was HELL! So my next appointment with the nurse practitioner I was prescribed bupropionXL and she told me to add it to my lexapro and too take both together, but as soon as I started too take them both I got very emotionally sad and numb, so my sister told me to stop taking the lexapro to give the bupropion a chance to work on its own and that has helped so much because now I feel a lot better then before and I'm only taking 150mg XL. Just wanted to share my experience with anyone."

James1738 (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2017

"I've been taking this medication for under 6months now and I have gained 10lbs while taking this drug. I don't feel like I have increased energy than before like some other people described. I feel more irritable & anxious at times, still can't sleep at night. I get the dry mouth side effects and occasional constipation. I'm taking 300mg XL once a day. I am getting more depressed with gaining weight on this drug! I was taking Lexapro before & didn't find it help me feeling less depressed & experience alot of nightmare or weird dreams while taking Lexapro!"

Cheshyrecat (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2017

"I am currently using wellbutrin xl (150mg) a day as an add on to trintellix. I have been on every medication under the sun & always seem to have negative side effects. My biggest struggle with my depression is fatigue & no energy. I've only been on wellbutrin 5 days & I feel a tremendous difference. I am awake in the morning & don't feel like I am going to fall asleep at random times during the day. I also haven't taken a nap in 5 days either which is huge considering I always nap. I am a little anxious sometimes & am also dealing with sleeping issues so I may talk to my Dr about switching to the SR. I am also dealing with a lot of muscle spams but this always happens when I adjust a dose or try a new medication. Wish I tried this sooner!"

Lo Marie x June 12, 2017

"Suffered three mental breakdowns, hospitalised three times & off work each time four months each. I am on Wellbutrin XL 300mg once daily in a.m. and find I can function fully during each day; also take 'Adco-Alzam' 0.5mg twice daily to suppress panic attacks. Been on this for >8 years; and have got my confidence back!! Symptoms UNDER CONTROL!!! At last confidence and quality of life, not going off these again.... NEVER!"

Cocoo-Land (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2017

"I live with depression and anxiety. Generic Wellbutrin has given me none of the sexual side effects I experienced with SSRIs like Zoloft. Seems to help me get out of the house. I'm on 150mg every morning and I'm trying 200mg soon. 300mg was too much for me."

Mandy87 May 9, 2017

"MY person experience may differ for others, but BEST combo for me so far, has included Wellbutin XL 300mg. Many years receiving mental health services (27 years). Had to stop SSRI's. Wellbutrin however helped increase my motivation, had none. Was so bad I laid in bed months from severe depression, so long immobile that both legs filled with blood clots and near death!! Survived on blood thinners and hospital over a week. With Wellbutrin had no weight gain, lost the 50lb other meds helped put on me! Lower cholest., quit smoking as a nice bonus and no sexual issues, in fact helped imho."

HorrorActress1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2017

"I was on the 75mg SR formulation for a week before taking two a day. Went to 150 XL the next month and 300 XL after that. Been on it for about 3 months now. I love this medication. It's changed my life. I don't feel depressed very often anymore and combined with therapy, my life is substantially better. No side effects at all! Much better than Lexapro, which gave me bad sexual side effects."

KMDM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

"This did nothing for me, as far as I'm concerned, I think its a placebo.. I was very depressed because I felt awful everyday, I could barely get out of bed, I felt exhausted, foggy mind, body ached, and long list of other debilitating symptoms.. I knew I wasn't just feeling these things physically for no reason. I'm only 30yrs old and when I started having memory problems I knew that it wasn't just Depression!! My primary doc did blood work and found I had some severe vitamin deficiencies! I got some prescription vitamins and changed my diet.. I feel better physically and mentally!! This may not help everyone but I encourage you to make sure your doc does a lot of tests tests to rule out others health issues before before blaming depression"

Justice feels good January 25, 2017

"I've only been on this medication since the 18th of this month, but one thing that I have noticed with this medication is that it is helping me to not have a constant appetite. I was not only needing help with depression, but I was also needing help with weight loss and at this point I don't know how the weight-loss will/will not work with med, but I do know that I do not have an appetite like before taking this. And for that I am very grateful. I also understand that it could take 3 to 4 weeks before I notice the effects for the depression. I am hopeful!"

Butterfli January 24, 2017

"I have been on and off different SSRI's and none of them have helped e.g. slept my life away, foggy mind, couldn't concentrate, no feelings, constant ringing in my ears, low libido. I started on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for 1 month and my doc upped my dose to 300mg. My experience has been super wonderful, from sleeping too much I am now going to bed later at night and getting up earlier & feel refreshed. I cry when I need to which to me is a good release. I am always busy. I have redone my whole home & garden, I go out more (use to be a total recluse). I sit & have my coffee out on the patio & watch the bird life and find so much joy in every day life. I have found an inner peace with Wellbutrin XL that I have never felt before. Big thumbs up :)"

Lin-Lu January 10, 2017

"I've been taking 15mg remron at night for sleep and also to help out with the depression when I wake up in the morn! I recently started the wellbutrin xl for about 5 weeks now and I think its a good mix for me. Before the wellbutrin I was always tired and not into anything! Feeling down yet once I started wellbutrin it brought me back to life! I can finally do things and be happy about doing stuff. So far so good! I'll keep ya posted..."

Johnnie85 January 9, 2017

"Increasing dose from 150mg to 300mg daily stopped suicidal ideation, but did not improve anhedonia. Increased dose associated with onset of hemidyskinesia, which diminished on lowered dosage and resolved completely when drug stopped."

Kelly-Anne Bryan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 1, 2017

"Wellbutrin XL (Buproprion) has helped me kick cravings for alcohol and other drugs. It's really amazing. My doctor prescribed it for major depressive disorder/ptsd and I can feel it helping me get through the winter. I started out on 150mg for 2 months which was fine, then one month on 300mg which was too much (every day stomach-aches, shakes, too much energy, very speedy) so doctor put me back on 150mg XL which is again working nicely and all the shaky/speedy feeling I had on 300mg is gone. My first 2-3 months on this drug I didn't have much of an appetite but it came back after that so now I still eat normally even though I'm on the drug. So yeah, It takes some getting used to. Don't expect immediate results."

Amir_02151 December 25, 2016

"I was 26 years old and taking Wellbutrin for about 5 months. Within those 5 months I became increasingly unmotivated, less energetic, and my depression worsened. I had terrible mood swings and was generally unpleasant to be around. My thoughts were not my own anymore, as I had horrific thoughts that were scary and confusing to me. Then came the night that I swallowed an entire prescription bottle of it. My thoughts were that either it would finally work and make me happy or it would just kill me so I wouldn't suffer anymore. I am obviously still here and I am so grateful for that! I stopped it and was put on Paxil. So much better for me! I'm a happy girl again!"

Sunnydazey (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2016

"Wellbutrin XL has been great for me. I have been on it for a few months and have completely noticed the difference in my lifestyle and my libido. My doctor was giving me samples of the brand name but she ran out and my insurance wouldn't cover the brand. My Copay for the brand was $1300.00 I could NOT afford that so she reluctantly put me on the generic. It was HORRIBLE. Worst experience of my life. Worst side effects ever. Luckily I came across another Pharmacy and they fill your Wellbutrin brand name for $50 a month. It's been great! Back on Wellbutrin and feeling amazing!!"

eyedepressed (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2016

"Brand name Wellbutrin XL 450, severe Gain weight, severe anger, severe stomach pain, severe constipation, severe vivid nightmares, Made me from social normal person, to an unreal horror human, scare to the world .... More than 90 days I can't even get out of my room....severe Panic attacks!!!"

Blewett (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2016

"Worse medication every. Dry mouth,headaches,nauseous, rashes on the skin.. I'm still dealing with the rashes on my skin,they come and go...."

Hey gurl (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2016

"I have been taking this medication since August 2015, and it has been the best one for me yet. I started with Celexa then went to Zoloft, and Zoloft worked for a bit but once things began to get difficult again I had to switch to another one, which was Wellburtin. It helped with some minor ADD problems, and overall my energy and positivity went up. I also began going to therapy again, and I 100% recommend that you do go to therapy in conjunction with antidepressants. Understand that if you don't like your therapist go to another one. You have to trust them and be able to open up to them to allow them to help. Medication only lifts the fog from your mind, but therapy is what allows you to move on with your life and not feel like a zombie."

Rachram711 February 28, 2016