User Reviews for Amantadine

Influenza 1.0
Summary of Amantadine reviews 7.5 33 reviews

Reviews for Amantadine

Msfatigue · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2020

For Fatigue: “Two weeks ago, I began Amantadine for extreme fatigue from MS. Initially, pain increased all over, but it was explained to me that that was most likely from a return to moderate activity. I continued treatment and have noticed a marked improvement of cognitive functioning, ability to maintain focus and recall events with more ease. Social interactions are improved. Physically, I have been able to cook and do housework as I desire instead of being too tired. Pain is manageable with current regimen. I am cautiously optimistic that this level of energy may continue and my quality of life may be greatly improved.”

Dentist · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 31, 2019

For Parkinson's Disease: “I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease (PD) more than 6 years ago. The tremors started affecting my left hand at first, 3 years later it affected my left leg causing me to walk funny( jerking movements) every time I taking levodopa/ cabridopa. In April 2017, I had deep brain stimulation (DBS) procedure done. DBS helps me tremendously but I still have to take levodopa/cabridopa 3 times a day, maximum dose: 25 mg/100mg x2 . I try amantadine but no help. Start with Gocorvi (amantadine) was since early 2018 and I begin cut down the levodopa by half about 6 months later. Today October 31, 2019, I have stop taking levodopa completely for several months, at least 2 months now, and still feel great. The tremors will comeback if I forgot to take Gocorvi the night before, and if I take levodopa to control the tremors then my left leg will walk funny.”

Better · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2019

For Head Injury: “I have a head injury and with any cognitive task I would get blurred vision, headaches, fatigue, fog. After about two weeks on amantadine those symptoms have let up a lot when I do cognitive tasks. Hasn’t helped cognition a bit. But the neuro fatigue it has.”

BadHallucinations · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2019

For Parkinson's Disease: “My husband starting taking Amantadine three weeks ago. After one week of this med he started to hallucinate which wasn't too bad at first. Today was his worst day with constant hallucinations all day long. I was scared he had the beginnings of Dementia or Alzheimer's. Called his neurologist who said to slowly cut back on his Amantadine and then stop it completely. So relieved to find out the problem was his med. Once the med is out of his system he should be okay. Will make sure he never takes Amantadine again!”

me · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2018

Symmetrel (amantadine) for Parkinson's Disease: “I've only been on Amantadine for six weeks for Dystonia/Dystonic Tremors/probable early onset of Parkinsons and the Symmetrel has helped the tremors tremendously. There are side effects, i.e., dizziness, imbalance, strange dreams, dry mouth.”

Jamie · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2018

For Influenza: “This medicine was a literal living nightmare. I was a healthy 24 y.o. with the flu. ER gave it to me. After 5 days, I stopped taking it because of weird dreams. I woke up on the 6th day insane. Actual psychosis. Went back to ER and spent the next week sleeping, only waking up to use the restroom, eat, drink, take a sleeping pill to get back to sleep ASAP because every waking moment was horror. I had flashbacks for a year. I've met doctors who see it on my chart and ask "Did you go crazy?". Yes, how did you know? It happens more than is officially reported. I can't explain just how terrifying it was, nonstop, for a week. I'd never take it again, not even for a million dollars.”

Gotchugirl · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 19, 2018

For ADHD: “My sons neurologist put him on this because of behavioral problems, memory issues and lack of self control and not focusing. After 2 weeks on it we saw positive changes in his mood and 3 months dramatic changes that even the teacher commented what an amazing positive change. After a yr on this medication, he went from an C average student to an A avg. and no side effects.”

Whit · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 28, 2018

For ADHD: “This has helped my son tremendously with ADHD and Hyperactivity. He couldn’t tolerate stimulants and was not able to absorb/focus on schoolwork. He started this and within weeks was doing much better. He had to stop this medicine for a surgery for 2 months and he was right back to not being able to concentrate/learn. Started back and 6 months later is doing REMARKABLY well, I can’t tell you how much of a positive difference this has made.”

Johnvajon · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2018

For Parkinson's Disease: “Started Amantadine 4 weeks ago 200 mg per day. Noticed immediately occasional dizziness and diarrhea after every 100mg capsule, lost any desire to get up and do anything, Midway through the third week, I cut my dosage down to 100 mg capsule per day, taken every evening at 8 pm before bedtime and that helped me sleep better and as well increased movement in arms and right leg and foot. Happy to say I am very pleased with the results!”

Bear · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 15, 2018

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “I was prescribed amandatine in 1990 for post post partum depression I took it for 5 years faithfully and it helped me a lot. I had lost two brothers to muscular dystophy so I was down for the count, my doctor put in his file as chronic fatigue syndrome for insurance purpose because they didn't cover the cost of depression medication much back them. Just shows you how the mental health system is broken even the 90's it was a great med.....”

Lingillie · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2017

For Fatigue: “I have been on Amantadine for 2 weeks now for MS fatigue. Had absolutely no change in my symptoms, and I certainly have not had insomnia which I was warned about. Quite the opposite,”

alynno123 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 10, 2017

For Fatigue: “Can't tell if it really helped my MS fatigue or not, since I'm still exhausted.”

garylynn · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 22, 2016

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “Chronic fatigue since I was 3 yo. I'm now 55 years old started taking amantadine. Found it hard to tolerate. Went down to one 100mg every two weeks. Went back up until I was at one every day for 5 days. Going strong!”

MinkFink · Taken for less than 1 month July 1, 2016

For Parkinson's Disease: “My first dose was perfection, but it soon stopped working. Dr. upped the ante...2 to 3 pills a day, but I'm not reaching that 1st dose perfection. =( I'll give it more time.”

parkinsonsbaer · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 31, 2016

For Parkinson's Disease: “Works better for stiffness and rigidity than tremors. I do see some minor leg swelling bu the benefits far outweigh any side effects.”

Tiltonit · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 2, 2016

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “I had CFS for 7 years and when I had an episode of the illness I would be bed ridden for six to nine months. Doctor gave me Amantadine in hospital and I instantly fell much better. Now I take it when the disease starts, I take from one to 3 daily for about a week. It helps me function normally and it always gets me out of the bed. When I way taking it for a longer period it would start to cause symptoms similiar to the dissase so the best way for me is to take is from time to time when I feel I have a relapse.”

garylynn · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2016

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “I've had chronic fatigue since I was three that was the result of a basal ganglia stroke and that has not been intermediate. I've been taking the drug for about a month and it's been like a dam against the fatigue. I struggle against hypertension because muscle tension does not go the distance and this has not become any easier yet. Over the last week or so the "hard to tolerate thing" has kicked in with the drug. So I stopped taking the drug today and immediately feel better but the positive effect lingers. I expect I will be taking the drug intermittently which I expect is the key. After all, there may be a very small chance of basal ganglia stroke.”

StanZ · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 5, 2016

Symmetrel (amantadine) for Parkinson's Disease: “I am having nightmares, hallucinations, swollen ankles, legs with spots, falling down, sudden sleep, itchy skin, Also, shock at the fact that the cost went from $7 per 90 tabs to $249 for 180 in just 18 months. Will not continue due to cost. This is what I pay after Humana says they pay. ”

ACOaco · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2016

For Head Injury: “I have a mild Traumatic Brain Injury and after the first week of using it dramatically reduce the brain fog and improved cognitive function. However after several months of use no further improvement have being noticed.”

Mcandrews February 13, 2016

For Head Injury: “Didn't realize why I had uncontrollable impulse to gamble my $ away seriously it was bad. I just read all the side effects of this drug I am slowly getting off it now. I am broke and my head injury induced tremors go on without it or maybe they won't return. My message is be careful of impulse control!”

LKPM · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2016

For Fatigue: “I was on Amantadine several years ago for at least a year or two before I was roped into expensive DMT drugs for MS. Now I have recently requested it from my new doctor since I am no longer on the MS drugs. I feel amazing!! "Normal" like I was as a teenager normal.”

James in Canada January 13, 2016

For ADHD: “Primary related symptom was mild cognitive impairment: memory in particular, almost entirely episodic memory (autobiographical memory: stuff that's happened to you, including events, names, etc.) & short-term memory. Thought I was developing Alzheimers. Severe enough to derail career, finally lost ability to work. Amantadine effects: built slowly, subtle but noticeable improvement in memory over 6 month period. Huge improvement after 2 yrs. Problems remain in calibrating decline & improvement; I've certainly improved some functionality enormously: can remember day-to-day events, plans, commitments; can remain aware of what I'm doing, keep up focus; can multi-talsk (limited but definite) so I can interrupt & resume interrupted activities...”

Anonymous September 30, 2015

For Head Injury: “Improved cognitive function....less confusion”

Sideffects2 January 30, 2014

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “So far so good...helping with the restlessness and unwanted movements.”

MagicMom · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2014

For Parkinson's Disease: “I have to say I noticed the wiggles disappeared after the first dose - I hope this continues to work. I did get a brief dizzy spell after the second dose but it quickly passed.”