User Reviews for Amantadine

Also known as: Symmetrel

Learn more about Amantadine.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 3 reviews 2 medications

Extrapyramidal Reaction 2 reviews 67 medications

Parkinson's Disease 8 reviews 48 medications

Summary of Amantadine reviews 20 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Amantadine

For Parkinson's Disease: "My first dose was perfection, but it soon stopped working. Dr. upped the ante...2 to 3 pills a day, but I'm not reaching that 1st dose perfection. =( I'll give it more time."

MinkFink (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2016

For Parkinson's Disease: "Works better for stiffness and rigidity than tremors. I do see some minor leg swelling bu the benefits far outweigh any side effects."

parkinsonsbaer (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 31, 2016

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I had CFS for 7 years and when I had an episode of the illness I would be bed ridden for six to nine months. Doctor gave me Amantadine in hospital and I instantly fell much better. Now I take it when the disease starts, I take from one to 3 daily for about a week. It helps me function normally and it always gets me out of the bed. When I way taking it for a longer period it would start to cause symptoms similiar to the dissase so the best way for me is to take is from time to time when I feel I have a relapse."

Tiltonit (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2016

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I've had chronic fatigue since I was three that was the result of a basal ganglia stroke and that has not been intermediate. I've been taking the drug for about a month and it's been like a dam against the fatigue. I struggle against hypertension because muscle tension does not go the distance and this has not become any easier yet. Over the last week or so the "hard to tolerate thing" has kicked in with the drug. So I stopped taking the drug today and immediately feel better but the positive effect lingers. I expect I will be taking the drug intermittently which I expect is the key. After all, there may be a very small chance of basal ganglia stroke."

garylynn (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2016

Symmetrel (amantadine) for Parkinson's Disease: "I am having nightmares, hallucinations, swollen ankles, legs with spots, falling down, sudden sleep, itchy skin, Also, shock at the fact that the cost went from $7 per 90 tabs to $249 for 180 in just 18 months. Will not continue due to cost. This is what I pay after Humana says they pay. "

StanZ (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2016

For Head Injury: "I have a mild Traumatic Brain Injury and after the first week of using it dramatically reduce the brain fog and improved cognitive function. However after several months of use no further improvement have being noticed."

ACOaco (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2016

For Head Injury: "Didn't realize why I had uncontrollable impulse to gamble my $ away seriously it was bad. I just read all the side effects of this drug I am slowly getting off it now. I am broke and my head injury induced tremors go on without it or maybe they won't return. My message is be careful of impulse control!"

Mcandrews February 13, 2016

For Fatigue: "I was on Amantadine several years ago for at least a year or two before I was roped into expensive DMT drugs for MS. Now I have recently requested it from my new doctor since I am no longer on the MS drugs. I feel amazing!! "Normal" like I was as a teenager normal."

LKPM (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2016

For ADHD: "Primary related symptom was mild cognitive impairment: memory in particular, almost entirely episodic memory (autobiographical memory: stuff that's happened to you, including events, names, etc.) & short-term memory. Thought I was developing Alzheimers. Severe enough to derail career, finally lost ability to work. Amantadine effects: built slowly, subtle but noticeable improvement in memory over 6 month period. Huge improvement after 2 yrs. Problems remain in calibrating decline & improvement; I've certainly improved some functionality enormously: can remember day-to-day events, plans, commitments; can remain aware of what I'm doing, keep up focus; can multi-talsk (limited but definite) so I can interrupt & resume interrupted activities..."

James in Canada January 13, 2016

For Head Injury: "Improved cognitive function....less confusion"

Anonymous September 30, 2015

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: "So far so good...helping with the restlessness and unwanted movements."

Sideffects2 January 30, 2014

For Parkinson's Disease: "I have to say I noticed the wiggles disappeared after the first dose - I hope this continues to work. I did get a brief dizzy spell after the second dose but it quickly passed."

MagicMom (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2014

For ADHD: "Caused tiredness and constipation."

Freecirle November 26, 2013

Symmetrel (amantadine) for Parkinson's Disease: "I hear that it only works in 50% of people who take it. I must be one of the lucky ones. Taking it along with Sinemet really takes care of me. And, no dosage shifting, plus slows down dyskinesia from Sinemet. You can take a "medication holiday" with this medicine and restart in a few days, to reinvent the good results, or test to see if it is working for you."

perkie parkie (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 22, 2013

For ADHD: "I saw amazing results! Happy to report that the phone calls from school stopped! His overall behavior improved in so many ways! Saw positive results with concentration and mood. He was pleasant and easy going. He was on 100 mg per day for the past 8 months, teachers, grandparents and friends saw the positive behavior as well. 3 weeks ago, he decided he does not want to take any medication, needless to say I am sad, for I feel that he will go back to struggling with school work and following rules and back to his oppositional attitude. So far in school things are just okay. His attitude at home is not good. Hope he goes back on Amantadine!"

lucky sunday December 14, 2011

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: "My son was given Abilify which caused tarkive dyskinesia. He was then given amantadine for the movements. It seems to be working well but he is now having other problems; peeling on his hands intermittent redness and rashes."

D. Wright November 2, 2011

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I have been on amantadine intermittently for years to deal with the "viral" component of my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I took 200 mg daily for over 3 years. It helped me when nothing else would. I now take it when I feel a viral episode coming on. Without the drug the viral symptoms (nausea, sick feeling in head and extremities) are much worse. Often times I have difficulty taking drugs, but Amantadine (to my knowledge) has not presented with any prominent side effects. It does seem that when on it for extended periods of time the body gets used to it and it becomes less effective. For that reason, I take it during periods when I need it the most. I am very thankful for this medicine!"

Anonymous November 17, 2010

For Multiple Sclerosis: "I was given this for my chronic fatigue associated with Multiple Sclerosis. It did not work. I DO HAVE a cold And/or the flu NOW. THIS WAS ORDERED BY MY DOCTOR BECAUSE PROVIGIL IS NO LONGER COVER BY MEDICARE PART D. TO DATE PROVIGIL IS THE ONLY MEDICINE THAT HAS WORKED TO KEEP ME AWAKE. "

msfacts21-spam November 17, 2009

For Parkinson's Disease: "I have been on amantadine for 2 months and it has worked at times. Although at times the shaking just continues. The shaking is there as a tremble at all times. Increase of dosage with no further effect. Shaking runs right through medication. I guess it is not for me."

fishhead November 17, 2009

For Multiple Sclerosis: "I've had Multiple Sclerosis for ten years and I'm 31 years old. I've been taking this for about 8 months and have noticed good improvements in my concentration and alertness since taken it."

DLedge August 8, 2009

For Multiple Sclerosis: "I was given this medicine to take for fatigue and it only slowed me down, got dry mouth, and a bit of confusion. I will stop this and contact the doctor."

cherriess4good August 8, 2009

For Multiple Sclerosis: "I was given this for my chronic fatigue at the time only associated with Multiple Sclerosis. It didn't work. I didn't get a cold or the flu during that time though :)"

Emmaann March 14, 2009

For Parkinson's Disease: "Amantadine produced immediate positive results in me, specifically in my ability to move, increased facial expression, and sense of well being."

neuromuser July 13, 2008

For Parkinson's Disease: "Stops the "wiggles" associated with Parkinson's."

Anonymous April 9, 2008