User Reviews for Amantadine

Also known as: Gocovri, Osmolex ER

Amantadine has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 38 ratings on Drugs.com. 64% of those users who reviewed Amantadine reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Parkinson's Disease
Influenza
Summary of Amantadine reviews 7.4 38 reviews

Reviews for Amantadine

Anonymous March 9, 2021

For ADHD: “It has not had any positive effect”

Nonie November 23, 2020

For Parkinson's Disease: “Hair loss and halucinations”

Helpful Hank · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 24, 2020

For Parkinson's Disease: “Works to stop Dyskinesia caused by senement/dopamine pills”

thewayofknowing · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 16, 2020

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “The only med that worked for me was Wellbutrin. But with the anxiety and panic it induced... I just couldn't keep going on with it Amantadine was prescribed off label for the same issue... it worked like magic! I had forgotten what a normal person's day felt like, this drug really has given me my life back. None of the side effects that made me quit Wellbutrin”

Gotchugirl · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 19, 2018

For ADHD: “My sons neurologist put him on this because of behavioral problems, memory issues and lack of self control and not focusing. After 2 weeks on it we saw positive changes in his mood and 3 months dramatic changes that even the teacher commented what an amazing positive change. After a yr on this medication, he went from an C average student to an A avg. and no side effects.”

LKPM · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2016

For Fatigue: “I was on Amantadine several years ago for at least a year or two before I was roped into expensive DMT drugs for MS. Now I have recently requested it from my new doctor since I am no longer on the MS drugs. I feel amazing!! "Normal" like I was as a teenager normal.”

Anonymous November 17, 2010

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “I have been on amantadine intermittently for years to deal with the "viral" component of my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I took 200 mg daily for over 3 years. It helped me when nothing else would. I now take it when I feel a viral episode coming on. Without the drug the viral symptoms (nausea, sick feeling in head and extremities) are much worse. Often times I have difficulty taking drugs, but Amantadine (to my knowledge) has not presented with any prominent side effects. It does seem that when on it for extended periods of time the body gets used to it and it becomes less effective. For that reason, I take it during periods when I need it the most. I am very thankful for this medicine!”

Jason · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2020

For Parkinson's Disease: “I started taking amantadine to help with Dyskinesia caused by taking the drug Sinement for Parkinson's. I saw relief from Dyskinesia on first dose. And I also have had great results with it helping all of my Parkinson's symptoms.”

Tiltonit · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 2, 2016

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “I had CFS for 7 years and when I had an episode of the illness I would be bed ridden for six to nine months. Doctor gave me Amantadine in hospital and I instantly fell much better. Now I take it when the disease starts, I take from one to 3 daily for about a week. It helps me function normally and it always gets me out of the bed. When I way taking it for a longer period it would start to cause symptoms similiar to the dissase so the best way for me is to take is from time to time when I feel I have a relapse.”

Whit · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 28, 2018

For ADHD: “This has helped my son tremendously with ADHD and Hyperactivity. He couldn’t tolerate stimulants and was not able to absorb/focus on schoolwork. He started this and within weeks was doing much better. He had to stop this medicine for a surgery for 2 months and he was right back to not being able to concentrate/learn. Started back and 6 months later is doing REMARKABLY well, I can’t tell you how much of a positive difference this has made.”

Msfatigue · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2020

For Fatigue: “Two weeks ago, I began Amantadine for extreme fatigue from MS. Initially, pain increased all over, but it was explained to me that that was most likely from a return to moderate activity. I continued treatment and have noticed a marked improvement of cognitive functioning, ability to maintain focus and recall events with more ease. Social interactions are improved. Physically, I have been able to cook and do housework as I desire instead of being too tired. Pain is manageable with current regimen. I am cautiously optimistic that this level of energy may continue and my quality of life may be greatly improved.”

Bear · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 15, 2018

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “I was prescribed amandatine in 1990 for post post partum depression I took it for 5 years faithfully and it helped me a lot. I had lost two brothers to muscular dystophy so I was down for the count, my doctor put in his file as chronic fatigue syndrome for insurance purpose because they didn't cover the cost of depression medication much back them. Just shows you how the mental health system is broken even the 90's it was a great med.....”

James in Canada January 13, 2016

For ADHD: “Primary related symptom was mild cognitive impairment: memory in particular, almost entirely episodic memory (autobiographical memory: stuff that's happened to you, including events, names, etc.) & short-term memory. Thought I was developing Alzheimers. Severe enough to derail career, finally lost ability to work. Amantadine effects: built slowly, subtle but noticeable improvement in memory over 6 month period. Huge improvement after 2 yrs. Problems remain in calibrating decline & improvement; I've certainly improved some functionality enormously: can remember day-to-day events, plans, commitments; can remain aware of what I'm doing, keep up focus; can multi-talsk (limited but definite) so I can interrupt & resume interrupted activities...”

lucky sunday December 14, 2011

For ADHD: “I saw amazing results! Happy to report that the phone calls from school stopped! His overall behavior improved in so many ways! Saw positive results with concentration and mood. He was pleasant and easy going. He was on 100 mg per day for the past 8 months, teachers, grandparents and friends saw the positive behavior as well. 3 weeks ago, he decided he does not want to take any medication, needless to say I am sad, for I feel that he will go back to struggling with school work and following rules and back to his oppositional attitude. So far in school things are just okay. His attitude at home is not good. Hope he goes back on Amantadine!”

garylynn · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 22, 2016

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “Chronic fatigue since I was 3 yo. I'm now 55 years old started taking amantadine. Found it hard to tolerate. Went down to one 100mg every two weeks. Went back up until I was at one every day for 5 days. Going strong!”

BadHallucinations · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2019

For Parkinson's Disease: “My husband starting taking Amantadine three weeks ago. After one week of this med he started to hallucinate which wasn't too bad at first. Today was his worst day with constant hallucinations all day long. I was scared he had the beginnings of Dementia or Alzheimer's. Called his neurologist who said to slowly cut back on his Amantadine and then stop it completely. So relieved to find out the problem was his med. Once the med is out of his system he should be okay. Will make sure he never takes Amantadine again!”

perkie parkie · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 22, 2013

Symmetrel (amantadine) for Parkinson's Disease: “I hear that it only works in 50% of people who take it. I must be one of the lucky ones. Taking it along with Sinemet really takes care of me. And, no dosage shifting, plus slows down dyskinesia from Sinemet. You can take a "medication holiday" with this medicine and restart in a few days, to reinvent the good results, or test to see if it is working for you.”

garylynn · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2016

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “I've had chronic fatigue since I was three that was the result of a basal ganglia stroke and that has not been intermediate. I've been taking the drug for about a month and it's been like a dam against the fatigue. I struggle against hypertension because muscle tension does not go the distance and this has not become any easier yet. Over the last week or so the "hard to tolerate thing" has kicked in with the drug. So I stopped taking the drug today and immediately feel better but the positive effect lingers. I expect I will be taking the drug intermittently which I expect is the key. After all, there may be a very small chance of basal ganglia stroke.”

Johnvajon · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2018

For Parkinson's Disease: “Started Amantadine 4 weeks ago 200 mg per day. Noticed immediately occasional dizziness and diarrhea after every 100mg capsule, lost any desire to get up and do anything, Midway through the third week, I cut my dosage down to 100 mg capsule per day, taken every evening at 8 pm before bedtime and that helped me sleep better and as well increased movement in arms and right leg and foot. Happy to say I am very pleased with the results!”

Mcandrews February 13, 2016

For Head Injury: “Didn't realize why I had uncontrollable impulse to gamble my $ away seriously it was bad. I just read all the side effects of this drug I am slowly getting off it now. I am broke and my head injury induced tremors go on without it or maybe they won't return. My message is be careful of impulse control!”

ACOaco · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2016

For Head Injury: “I have a mild Traumatic Brain Injury and after the first week of using it dramatically reduce the brain fog and improved cognitive function. However after several months of use no further improvement have being noticed.”

StanZ · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 5, 2016

Symmetrel (amantadine) for Parkinson's Disease: “I am having nightmares, hallucinations, swollen ankles, legs with spots, falling down, sudden sleep, itchy skin, Also, shock at the fact that the cost went from $7 per 90 tabs to $249 for 180 in just 18 months. Will not continue due to cost. This is what I pay after Humana says they pay. ”

Dentist · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 31, 2019

For Parkinson's Disease: “I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease (PD) more than 6 years ago. The tremors started affecting my left hand at first, 3 years later it affected my left leg causing me to walk funny( jerking movements) every time I taking levodopa/ cabridopa. In April 2017, I had deep brain stimulation (DBS) procedure done. DBS helps me tremendously but I still have to take levodopa/cabridopa 3 times a day, maximum dose: 25 mg/100mg x2 . I try amantadine but no help. Start with Gocorvi (amantadine) was since early 2018 and I begin cut down the levodopa by half about 6 months later. Today October 31, 2019, I have stop taking levodopa completely for several months, at least 2 months now, and still feel great. The tremors will comeback if I forgot to take Gocorvi the night before, and if I take levodopa to control the tremors then my left leg will walk funny.”

msfacts21-spam November 17, 2009

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I was given this for my chronic fatigue associated with Multiple Sclerosis. It did not work. I DO HAVE a cold And/or the flu NOW. THIS WAS ORDERED BY MY DOCTOR BECAUSE PROVIGIL IS NO LONGER COVER BY MEDICARE PART D. TO DATE PROVIGIL IS THE ONLY MEDICINE THAT HAS WORKED TO KEEP ME AWAKE. ”

Jamie · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2018

For Influenza: “This medicine was a literal living nightmare. I was a healthy 24 y.o. with the flu. ER gave it to me. After 5 days, I stopped taking it because of weird dreams. I woke up on the 6th day insane. Actual psychosis. Went back to ER and spent the next week sleeping, only waking up to use the restroom, eat, drink, take a sleeping pill to get back to sleep ASAP because every waking moment was horror. I had flashbacks for a year. I've met doctors who see it on my chart and ask "Did you go crazy?". Yes, how did you know? It happens more than is officially reported. I can't explain just how terrifying it was, nonstop, for a week. I'd never take it again, not even for a million dollars.”

Better · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2019

For Head Injury: “I have a head injury and with any cognitive task I would get blurred vision, headaches, fatigue, fog. After about two weeks on amantadine those symptoms have let up a lot when I do cognitive tasks. Hasn’t helped cognition a bit. But the neuro fatigue it has.”

fishhead November 17, 2009

For Parkinson's Disease: “I have been on amantadine for 2 months and it has worked at times. Although at times the shaking just continues. The shaking is there as a tremble at all times. Increase of dosage with no further effect. Shaking runs right through medication. I guess it is not for me.”

me · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2018

Symmetrel (amantadine) for Parkinson's Disease: “I've only been on Amantadine for six weeks for Dystonia/Dystonic Tremors/probable early onset of Parkinsons and the Symmetrel has helped the tremors tremendously. There are side effects, i.e., dizziness, imbalance, strange dreams, dry mouth.”