User Reviews for Benztropine

Also known as: Cogentin

Benztropine has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 24 ratings on Drugs.com. 48% of those users who reviewed Benztropine reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Extrapyramidal Reaction   6.1
Parkinson's Disease   1.0
Summary of Benztropine reviews 5.9 24 reviews

Reviews for Benztropine

Carolinetruuu February 28, 2021

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I was on this medication for about a week but found that it didn’t help with my jaw clenching it all. It really dried out all parts of me. My throat was always dry, my eyes would become super dry and red and I would have pain behind my eyes. My lips were also incredibly chapped during the time I was on this. Wasn’t ideal”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2021

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I was given benztropine for Parkinsonism and akasthesia from abilify, works basically perfect besides some dry mouth and brain fog. Also puts you to sleep almost instantaneously, which is nice”

MissLeopard83 · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2021

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I've used this medication benztropine for two different occasions of Extrapyramidal Reaction (EPR's). One was involving Geodon - which was horrific and caused acute cervical dystonia (neck spasms involving horrible cramping and locking up of the muscles where I couldn't move) - and the other was involving Abilify - which was minor and involved restless legs (akathisia). Cogentin worked well in helping the dystonia from Geodon but it did not stop the akathisia from Abilify.”

coconuts · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2019

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Took this for Extrapyramidal side effects (EPS) caused by a very small dose of abilify (1 mg) that had me jumping out of my skin and gave me horrible tremors. It helps with the akathesia, but the side effects from the cogentin are just as unbearable. My vision is completely blurred, My mouth is so dry that my throat hurts, I'm getting migraines and I cant remember ANYTHING I did five minutes ago. I don't feel safe driving. I have flushed my abilify down the toilet and the cogentin is about to receive the same fate. Dosage is 0.5 mg twice a day. I only took my nighttime dose last night before bed and fell asleep immediately, it sedated me. I'm so angry about these meds. Done with feeling like a pharmaceutical experiment. I refuse to take them anymore. Hopefully they wear off quickly.”

BipolarGrrl · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2014

Cogentin (benztropine) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Absolutely the ONLY way I can take Latuda (life saving me for me) is by taking three small doses of Cogentin a day. I had excruciating muscle pain, a strange kind of dizziness, brain fog, and restlessness. I thought it could be some presentation of akasthisia. It was unbearable until I started Cogentin. Wonder if those with side effects are prescribed too high of a dose. I'm taking half of the .5 pill three times a day.”

Jes · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2019

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I recently started taking Benztropine because my Seroquel was adjusted to a higher dosage. For several nights of crying because I was so sleepy but couldn't sleep because I had developedRestless leg syndrome after my dose adjustment. After a week of doing this I called my psych and she prescribed benztropine to me. It took a few days but each night the RLS wasnt as severe as the night before and now I don't have it all. It has been a blessing but one thing I don't like its giving me blurry vision, brain fog, and just making me loopy lol which I hope will go away soon.”

Martin · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2020

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I took this new medication with haldol and it freaked me out! I couldn't sit still and had about 4mgs or 2 pills I think but they could have been 1mg pills. Nevertheless within hours of taking it with haldol, I experienced extreme agitation and was literally crawling out of my skin. Everytime I lied down I had to get back up. Couldn't sleep and kept walking around with lying down breaks in between. That's how bad it was. Felt like I was going to go into cardiac arrest with respiratory depression. At least that's what it felt like. Use precaution! Not taking ever again!”

amay88 · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2016

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I was prescribed 1mg 2 days ago to help with side effects I was having since increasing my Abilify to 10mg a day. The first day I could tell my restlessness and agitation had decreased by about 90%. Today is the 2nd day and I feel even better! Now I feel like the Abilify is actually working. I did not give 10 stars because I've had two side effects; dry mouth and blurry vision. I'm hoping as my body gets used to this medicine those side effects will dissipate.”

BBP007 · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2018

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I literally took Cogentin for one day (0.5mgs twice a day) and I'm done with it. Was prescribed to help the restlessness and stiff muscles from Rexulti. My anxiety went through the roof along with throwing me into an awful, scary rage. I felt like I had turned into the female Hulk. Also caused my heart to pound like crazy and, I was shaking from head to toe. Had to take 5mg Zyprexa and 1mg Xanax together to calm me down just enough so I wasn't afraid of really going insane. Was an all around scary experience for me. Of course, this won't happen to everyone...just be careful.”

K-Man-Money · Taken for less than 1 month August 10, 2018

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I was on this medication for about 1 week and stopped taking it myself. It gave me more anxiety than I had anticipated. I was on a few other psychotropic meds at the time and couldn't deal with adding another one. I can't attest to whether or not this drug is good for what it is intended for, as I didn't use it for my full prescription.”

veha · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2016

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I use to tacke morphine and I was addictit of it I went to the emergency the Dr precribe me this medication help me soooooooo much only 3 pills thats all I was perfect but now I try to withdraw the depression medicament I took 1mg I feel Super. I don't know in the future for now I am a young man again thank”

MJPeta · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2018

Cogentin (benztropine) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Currently taking 1mg two times a day, but considering taking 1mg at bedtime since I have side effects like brain fog. Hopefully it will stop the restlessness that is caused by Risperdal.”

Anonymous August 24, 2009

Cogentin (benztropine) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “It helped me a lot with akathisia.”

leopardeyes September 26, 2010

Cogentin (benztropine) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “After 2 days of taking this I got blurred vision.”

Eric3871 June 2, 2013

Cogentin (benztropine) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “This medicine worked. Took my akathesia away the moment I took it.”

Terry · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2019

“Took for 2 days for the benztropine to work and it is great for relieving restlessness. On 1mg cogentin”

Anonymous January 12, 2010

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Totally works every time. Gets rid of almost all restlessness and agitation.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2017

Cogentin (benztropine) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I took this for the side effects from seroquel This drug made me disoriented, confused, and forgetful. It also didn't help with my side effects.”

SusieJones · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2014

Cogentin (benztropine) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I have just started this medicine, 100mg, to help my tremors. (head to toe). I take 2 a day. So far, it is working. Even with the increase of mgs.”

rubyredd December 8, 2015

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “The medication did take care of restlessness, and mild tremors caused by my bipolar and depression medication.”

King27 August 8, 2013

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Made withdrawals lots more tolerable. Took away my leg shakes almost instantly.”

DA · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2020

Cogentin (benztropine) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “After taking Cogentin for 2 to 3 weeks I've been having a hard time urinating. Abdominal pain.”

Anonymous July 21, 2017

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “First day taking it (2mg) and it helped amazingly with my akinesia. I can now take my Latuda without any fear. Should eat with food though, it will give you upset stomach if you don't.”

Chiliandrina May 22, 2016

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Using zyprexa (Schizo-affected) psychologist wanted to enhance effect, ordered abilify. Resuting in scanty urination & 24/7 tremors which were mistaken for epilepsy. Cogentin corrected all symptoms.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2017

For Parkinson's Disease: “Reduced my tremors but affected my ability to think, concentrate and speak.”