User Reviews for Benztropine to treat Extrapyramidal Reaction

Also known as: Cogentin

Benztropine has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 23 ratings for the treatment of Extrapyramidal Reaction. 52% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 35% reported a negative effect.

Benztropine Rating Summary

6.4/10 average rating

Compare all 43 medications used in the treatment of Extrapyramidal Reaction.

Reviews for Benztropine

BipolarGrrl · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2014

Cogentin (benztropine): “Absolutely the ONLY way I can take Latuda (life saving me for me) is by taking three small doses of Cogentin a day. I had excruciating muscle pain, a strange kind of dizziness, brain fog, and restlessness. I thought it could be some presentation of akasthisia. It was unbearable until I started Cogentin. Wonder if those with side effects are prescribed too high of a dose. I'm taking half of the .5 pill three times a day.”

coconuts · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2019

“Took this for Extrapyramidal side effects (EPS) caused by a very small dose of abilify (1 mg) that had me jumping out of my skin and gave me horrible tremors. It helps with the akathesia, but the side effects from the cogentin are just as unbearable. My vision is completely blurred, My mouth is so dry that my throat hurts, I'm getting migraines and I cant remember ANYTHING I did five minutes ago. I don't feel safe driving. I have flushed my abilify down the toilet and the cogentin is about to receive the same fate. Dosage is 0.5 mg twice a day. I only took my nighttime dose last night before bed and fell asleep immediately, it sedated me. I'm so angry about these meds. Done with feeling like a pharmaceutical experiment. I refuse to take them anymore. Hopefully they wear off quickly.”

Jes · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2019

“I recently started taking Benztropine because my Seroquel was adjusted to a higher dosage. For several nights of crying because I was so sleepy but couldn't sleep because I had developedRestless leg syndrome after my dose adjustment. After a week of doing this I called my psych and she prescribed benztropine to me. It took a few days but each night the RLS wasnt as severe as the night before and now I don't have it all. It has been a blessing but one thing I don't like its giving me blurry vision, brain fog, and just making me loopy lol which I hope will go away soon.”

BBP007 · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2018

“I literally took Cogentin for one day (0.5mgs twice a day) and I'm done with it. Was prescribed to help the restlessness and stiff muscles from Rexulti. My anxiety went through the roof along with throwing me into an awful, scary rage. I felt like I had turned into the female Hulk. Also caused my heart to pound like crazy and, I was shaking from head to toe. Had to take 5mg Zyprexa and 1mg Xanax together to calm me down just enough so I wasn't afraid of really going insane. Was an all around scary experience for me. Of course, this won't happen to everyone...just be careful.”

amay88 · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2016

“I was prescribed 1mg 2 days ago to help with side effects I was having since increasing my Abilify to 10mg a day. The first day I could tell my restlessness and agitation had decreased by about 90%. Today is the 2nd day and I feel even better! Now I feel like the Abilify is actually working. I did not give 10 stars because I've had two side effects; dry mouth and blurry vision. I'm hoping as my body gets used to this medicine those side effects will dissipate.”

Martin · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2020

“I took this new medication with haldol and it freaked me out! I couldn't sit still and had about 4mgs or 2 pills I think but they could have been 1mg pills. Nevertheless within hours of taking it with haldol, I experienced extreme agitation and was literally crawling out of my skin. Everytime I lied down I had to get back up. Couldn't sleep and kept walking around with lying down breaks in between. That's how bad it was. Felt like I was going to go into cardiac arrest with respiratory depression. At least that's what it felt like. Use precaution! Not taking ever again!”

veha · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2016

“I use to tacke morphine and I was addictit of it I went to the emergency the Dr precribe me this medication help me soooooooo much only 3 pills thats all I was perfect but now I try to withdraw the depression medicament I took 1mg I feel Super. I don't know in the future for now I am a young man again thank”

K-Man-Money · Taken for less than 1 month August 10, 2018

“I was on this medication for about 1 week and stopped taking it myself. It gave me more anxiety than I had anticipated. I was on a few other psychotropic meds at the time and couldn't deal with adding another one. I can't attest to whether or not this drug is good for what it is intended for, as I didn't use it for my full prescription.”

Sunguppy · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 1, 2021

“Been taking this med benztropine at 1mg for about three years for EPS - started when I got restless on Abilify, kept it when I switched to Latuda and Prolixin. Honestly, it has been a life saver for extrapyramidal movements. I also have Tardive Dyskinesia which I feel is also helped by the benztropine. No more jutting tongue, spasms, or restlessness. I’m able to take all my meds as directed with this little pill.”

MissLeopard83 · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2021

“I've used this medication benztropine for two different occasions of Extrapyramidal Reaction (EPR's). One was involving Geodon - which was horrific and caused acute cervical dystonia (neck spasms involving horrible cramping and locking up of the muscles where I couldn't move) - and the other was involving Abilify - which was minor and involved restless legs (akathisia). Cogentin worked well in helping the dystonia from Geodon but it did not stop the akathisia from Abilify.”

Carolinetruuu February 28, 2021

“I was on this medication for about a week but found that it didn’t help with my jaw clenching it all. It really dried out all parts of me. My throat was always dry, my eyes would become super dry and red and I would have pain behind my eyes. My lips were also incredibly chapped during the time I was on this. Wasn’t ideal”

Anonymous August 24, 2009

Cogentin (benztropine): “It helped me a lot with akathisia.”

MJPeta · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2018

Cogentin (benztropine): “Currently taking 1mg two times a day, but considering taking 1mg at bedtime since I have side effects like brain fog. Hopefully it will stop the restlessness that is caused by Risperdal.”

leopardeyes September 26, 2010

Cogentin (benztropine): “After 2 days of taking this I got blurred vision.”

Eric3871 June 2, 2013

Cogentin (benztropine): “This medicine worked. Took my akathesia away the moment I took it.”

Anonymous January 12, 2010

“Totally works every time. Gets rid of almost all restlessness and agitation.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2017

Cogentin (benztropine): “I took this for the side effects from seroquel This drug made me disoriented, confused, and forgetful. It also didn't help with my side effects.”

rubyredd December 8, 2015

“The medication did take care of restlessness, and mild tremors caused by my bipolar and depression medication.”

SusieJones · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2014

Cogentin (benztropine): “I have just started this medicine, 100mg, to help my tremors. (head to toe). I take 2 a day. So far, it is working. Even with the increase of mgs.”

DA · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2020

Cogentin (benztropine): “After taking Cogentin for 2 to 3 weeks I've been having a hard time urinating. Abdominal pain.”

King27 August 8, 2013

“Made withdrawals lots more tolerable. Took away my leg shakes almost instantly.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2021

“I was given benztropine for Parkinsonism and akasthesia from abilify, works basically perfect besides some dry mouth and brain fog. Also puts you to sleep almost instantaneously, which is nice”

Adrianmichael · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2021

“This medication relieved my akathisia and even helped my anxiety and depression.”

Chiliandrina May 22, 2016

“Using zyprexa (Schizo-affected) psychologist wanted to enhance effect, ordered abilify. Resuting in scanty urination & 24/7 tremors which were mistaken for epilepsy. Cogentin corrected all symptoms.”

Anonymous July 21, 2017

“First day taking it (2mg) and it helped amazingly with my akinesia. I can now take my Latuda without any fear. Should eat with food though, it will give you upset stomach if you don't.”