User Reviews for Trihexyphenidyl

Also known as: Trihexy

Trihexyphenidyl has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 19 ratings on Drugs.com. 50% of those users who reviewed Trihexyphenidyl reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Extrapyramidal Reaction
9.5
Summary of Trihexyphenidyl reviews 6.5 19 reviews

Reviews for Trihexyphenidyl

Rocket · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2020

For Cerebral Spasticity: “Moderate reduction in neck muscle spasms and rigidity within a few days with clonazepam and botox injections. Initial dosage of 3mg. Recently increased to 6mg. Fewer side effects than 10+ years ago when I had to go off drug due to cognitive blunting.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2020

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Severe short term memory loss and confusion. Hopefully after discontinued I get back to normal.”

Milt · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2020

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Parkinson's Disease: “When I take Carbidopa/Levodopa, one of the side effects is a strong chemical odor in my nose, and a chemical or bile taste in the mouth. It might not sound like much, but over time, this odor is punishing and demoralizing. Artane/trihexiphenidyl has greatly helped in reducing the odor issue with the Carbidopa and Levodopa. For now, it has helped improve my quality of life.”

Reidy · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 2, 2017

For Cerebral Spasticity: “Life Saver for my Spasmodic Torticollis/Cervical Dystonia ! After about 2 weeks on this medication, I was able to hold my head upright again! I haven't seen many positive reviews on this med for the relief of this condition, so I wanted to let anyone suffering with this, to give this medicine a shot! I take the liquid form of this med, so I do not know if this perhaps makes any difference. I had to abruptly stop taking this a few years ago when I was hospitalized for another condition, and almost immediately, my symptoms reappeared. It was awful! But, within a week of resuming medication, my head returned to normal position. I would HIGHLY recommend this medication. I do not have any major side effects from this medication either. So grateful my Neurologist prescribed it!”

Lucy · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 6, 2018

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I was taking lowest possible dose and after 4 yrs on the (1) daily dose was diagnosed with Short term memory loss-early onset dementia. Mayo Clinic was finally able to determine (after 2 other neurologists) that the cause was this medication. 6 months of being of it now and memory is fine/normal.”

leopardeyes September 26, 2010

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I was prescribed this medication after I started to twitch on the left side of my body from my toes to my face because of Abilify. I was prescribed 5mg a day and it caused extreme short term memory loss and clumsiness. After a few weeks taking it I started to get sick to my stomach and get a horrible headache. Now I take a quarter of a 5 mg tablet as needed and my doctor reduced my Abilify from 15mg to 2mg and I'm doing much better.”

Artane June 3, 2011

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Inexpensive anti-cholinergic superior to benzotropine mesylate for extrapyramidal conditions. Including, but not limited to tremor, akathisia-(inability to sit still or restlessness) upwardly fixed stare, psuedo-parkinsonism, shuffling gait, akinesia. 1 mg usually suffices to start. No serious side effects noted. Some sensitivity to bright light/accommodation to heat related conditions including dry mouth.”

susieratledge November 10, 2011

For Parkinson's Disease: “I was prescribed trihexyphenidyl for "break through" symptoms of Parkinson's Disease. If I am under stress, I have to use it on a daily basis. I have come to a point when I will feel worser symptoms coming on. If I take the medication the symptoms will last a few hours verses days.”

johnleah1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2016

For Parkinson's Disease: “I would sleep walk. Example: once I woke up putting on my tennis shoes to ho some where but I don't remember where. Another time I slept walk to my mother's room tonuse the bathroom though I was just in bed in my room that has a restroom. Talking in my sleep.Example: I sat up in bed as my husband was getting ready for work and asked him about going on our vacation but he said I was very irritated. Other times its just random thoughts or comments.”

jay · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 24, 2019

For Parkinson's Disease: “New doctor told me trihexyphenidyl can cause dementia and to get off of it after 3 years. My tremors seemed to get worse, I'm very uncomfortable. It has been 1 week since I have been totally off of it and I am going to see if I can't get back on it.”

Anonymous April 26, 2009

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Parkinson's Disease: “This is a low level medication. It was the first I received prior to moving upward to the Sinemet Family. It only controlled slight tremor of my hand.”

be2 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 27, 2015

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Relieved neck spasms and akathisia from antipsychotics”

Parkinson's patient October 28, 2013

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Parkinson's Disease: “This drug made me stupid and depressed. Side effects included oral-facial dyskinesis, visual impairment, and weight gain.”

Buderflyz · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2015

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I've started Artane to counteract the extrapyramidal effects of ziprazadone (generic Geodon). It works to relieve the muscle tremors and spasms.”

crw222 · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2013

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Relieved muscle spasms caused by risperidone.”

ew34 October 24, 2014

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Resolved akathisia from antipsychotics and antidepressants”

Eima · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 25, 2020

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “This trihexyphenidyl has been very helpful at 2mg dose to improve the akathisia I get from ziprasidone but it sometimes causes loss of short term memory”

bbwme46 October 11, 2013

“This has been very helpful with the pain I experience with muscle spasms. I do like the relief of stiffness I have everyday.”

yunhee93 May 27, 2016

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “i have athetoid spastic cp and when i was on it, it worked for a few years but it stopped working.”

mjbaz2002 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2017

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Parkinson's Disease: “Didn't help symptoms at all. Side Effects: 1. Really blurry vision 2. Felt dead inside.”