User Reviews for Trihexyphenidyl

Also known as: Trihexy

Trihexyphenidyl has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 21 ratings on Drugs.com. 48% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 29% reported a negative experience.

Extrapyramidal Reaction
7.6
Parkinson's Disease
Cerebral Spasticity
9.5
Summary of Trihexyphenidyl reviews 6.5 21 reviews

Reviews for Trihexyphenidyl

Reidy · Taken for 2 to 5 years · February 2, 2017

For Cerebral Spasticity: “Life Saver for my Spasmodic Torticollis/Cervical Dystonia ! After about 2 weeks on this medication, I was able to hold my head upright again! I haven't seen many positive reviews on this med for the relief of this condition, so I wanted to let anyone suffering with this, to give this medicine a shot! I take the liquid form of this med, so I do not know if this perhaps makes any difference. I had to abruptly stop taking this a few years ago when I was hospitalized for another condition, and almost immediately, my symptoms reappeared. It was awful! But, within a week of resuming medication, my head returned to normal position. I would HIGHLY recommend this medication. I do not have any major side effects from this medication either. So grateful my Neurologist prescribed it!”

Milt · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 19, 2020

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Parkinson's Disease: “When I take Carbidopa/Levodopa, one of the side effects is a strong chemical odor in my nose, and a chemical or bile taste in the mouth. It might not sound like much, but over time, this odor is punishing and demoralizing. Artane/trihexiphenidyl has greatly helped in reducing the odor issue with the Carbidopa and Levodopa. For now, it has helped improve my quality of life.”

Matthew · Taken for less than 1 month · July 7, 2022

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Been on high dose antipsychotics which gave me tremors overtime. Artane significantly improved my symptoms arising from antipsychotics and relaxed both internal (stomach and intestine) which was greatly slowing my food transit and relaxing external muscles ie tremors. Safer than Benzos and non-habit forming. Would recommend”

Lucy · Taken for 2 to 5 years · July 6, 2018

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I was taking lowest possible dose and after 4 yrs on the (1) daily dose was diagnosed with Short term memory loss-early onset dementia. Mayo Clinic was finally able to determine (after 2 other neurologists) that the cause was this medication. 6 months of being of it now and memory is fine/normal.”

leopardeyes · September 26, 2010

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I was prescribed this medication after I started to twitch on the left side of my body from my toes to my face because of Abilify. I was prescribed 5mg a day and it caused extreme short term memory loss and clumsiness. After a few weeks taking it I started to get sick to my stomach and get a horrible headache. Now I take a quarter of a 5 mg tablet as needed and my doctor reduced my Abilify from 15mg to 2mg and I'm doing much better.”

Don · Taken for less than 1 month · April 10, 2022

For Parkinson's Disease: “I was taking this for essential tremors This RX caused impotence and did not reduce tremors. It also caused mental fog. I don't trust it for the summer months as it reduces sweating and may lead to heat stroke. I will stop this RX and get my happy life back. With the addiction risk the potential for harm is greater than potential for good.”

susieratledge · November 10, 2011

For Parkinson's Disease: “I was prescribed trihexyphenidyl for "break through" symptoms of Parkinson's Disease. If I am under stress, I have to use it on a daily basis. I have come to a point when I will feel worser symptoms coming on. If I take the medication the symptoms will last a few hours verses days.”

Artane · June 3, 2011

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Inexpensive anti-cholinergic superior to benzotropine mesylate for extrapyramidal conditions. Including, but not limited to tremor, akathisia-(inability to sit still or restlessness) upwardly fixed stare, psuedo-parkinsonism, shuffling gait, akinesia. 1 mg usually suffices to start. No serious side effects noted. Some sensitivity to bright light/accommodation to heat related conditions including dry mouth.”

Rocket · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 9, 2020

For Cerebral Spasticity: “Moderate reduction in neck muscle spasms and rigidity within a few days with clonazepam and botox injections. Initial dosage of 3mg. Recently increased to 6mg. Fewer side effects than 10+ years ago when I had to go off drug due to cognitive blunting.”

johnleah1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 18, 2016

For Parkinson's Disease: “I would sleep walk. Example: once I woke up putting on my tennis shoes to ho some where but I don't remember where. Another time I slept walk to my mother's room tonuse the bathroom though I was just in bed in my room that has a restroom. Talking in my sleep.Example: I sat up in bed as my husband was getting ready for work and asked him about going on our vacation but he said I was very irritated. Other times its just random thoughts or comments.”

jay · Taken for 2 to 5 years · April 24, 2019

For Parkinson's Disease: “New doctor told me trihexyphenidyl can cause dementia and to get off of it after 3 years. My tremors seemed to get worse, I'm very uncomfortable. It has been 1 week since I have been totally off of it and I am going to see if I can't get back on it.”

be2 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 27, 2015

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Relieved neck spasms and akathisia from antipsychotics”

Waka · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · January 31, 2022

Artane (trihexyphenidyl): “I became addicted to it and it caused me memory loss, I failed all my semester exams.”

Buderflyz · Taken for less than 1 month · June 24, 2015

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “I've started Artane to counteract the extrapyramidal effects of ziprazadone (generic Geodon). It works to relieve the muscle tremors and spasms.”

Anonymous · April 26, 2009

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Parkinson's Disease: “This is a low level medication. It was the first I received prior to moving upward to the Sinemet Family. It only controlled slight tremor of my hand.”

Parkinson's patient · October 28, 2013

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Parkinson's Disease: “This drug made me stupid and depressed. Side effects included oral-facial dyskinesis, visual impairment, and weight gain.”

crw222 · Taken for less than 1 month · November 13, 2013

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Relieved muscle spasms caused by risperidone.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 30, 2020

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Severe short term memory loss and confusion. Hopefully after discontinued I get back to normal.”

Eima · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · February 25, 2020

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “This trihexyphenidyl has been very helpful at 2mg dose to improve the akathisia I get from ziprasidone but it sometimes causes loss of short term memory”

ew34 · October 24, 2014

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: “Resolved akathisia from antipsychotics and antidepressants”

bbwme46 · October 11, 2013

“This has been very helpful with the pain I experience with muscle spasms. I do like the relief of stiffness I have everyday.”

yunhee93 · May 27, 2016

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: “i have athetoid spastic cp and when i was on it, it worked for a few years but it stopped working.”

mjbaz2002 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 17, 2017

Artane (trihexyphenidyl) for Parkinson's Disease: “Didn't help symptoms at all. Side Effects: 1. Really blurry vision 2. Felt dead inside.”