User Reviews for Rivastigmine

Lewy Body Dementia 1.0
Summary of Rivastigmine reviews 5.3 29 reviews

Reviews for Rivastigmine

Forester · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 20, 2020

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My mom was put on the smaller dosage patch of rivastigmine for a few weeks and after little improvement with her Alzheimer's disease was upped to a larger patch. She has been on it for 7 months and has seen wonderful improvement. She has so many good days compared to before the patch! Recently she even started reading again, which used to be her passion. We are so grateful for this medication.”

Sarah · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

For Alzheimer's Disease: “Mom started the rivastigmine at a dose 4.6 and in 24hrs she had improved significantly. She napped less, laughed and actually recalled my brother's phone number. However, after 4 weeks she went up to 9 mg patch and in a few days I noticed she wasn't as sprite. Bit agitated, napping more, unsteady its like she reverted to no treatment at all. See what doc suggests”

Julie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

For Parkinson's Disease: “The neurologist started my husband on this pill rivastigmine 6 weeks ago, starting with one 1.5 mg pill at night , two weeks later two pills and then three pills after 4 weeks. He never got to the three pill level. After he started taking them he progressively got worse and worse, agitation, hallucinations (which he never had before) not sleeping..crazy dreams and talking all night...I didn’t connect this with the new pills immediately, I should have, after 5 weeks and him getting more and more intimidating I finally thought of these pills. Called the dr. and we went back to one pill for one night and then off completely. It took two days, but finally he stared to settle down. Now he is fine...10 days later. My suggestion? Never take this pill!!!!!”

Caregiver82 · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “I gave my 82 year old mother 1 Rivastigmine 6mg capsule and I almost lost her. It started out with profuse sweating, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. Rushed to hospital, she could not speak, arm spasms, confusion, hypothermia, sepsis, altered mental status, hypertension and atrial fibrillation. This medication almost was the end for my mother. It is poison!!!! It took a week for this medication to get out of her system. All I have to say..DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION/POISON!!!!”

Spicy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 22, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “rivastigmine medication is very expensive and I could not tell that it was helping my wife, I had such high expectations that I got 3 month supply and now had to take her off because she has trouble breathing and sweating problems.”

Warmdays · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 8, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My aunt was prescribed Exelon patch after being on Aricept for two years. Her mmse scores dropped 10 points within one year(out of total score 30)! This patch did not stop her decline, and might even promote the decline! Be careful!!”

Sue · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2019

For Lewy Body Dementia: “I have been taking 1.5 mg rivastigmine for five days, I feel numb all over headache, no appetite and hard to function”

ELLE February 26, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “75yr old mom was put on the Exelon patch initial dose Feb 2018. Cognitively she remained stable with some decline starting 7 months later & agitation. No doc had mentioned her dose should be increased to the next level until the end of Oct 2018. At this time she was declining cognitively & more & more aggressive towards my father. This aggression & agitation became worse after increasing the dose. But Doc felt it was best to continue. Finally my Dad had reached the end of his wire last week (Feb 22nd 2019) Her behavior so difficult to deal with. Spitting, swearing, punching, uncontrollable at the stores i.e. Wanting to buy so much. He stopped applying the patch 4 days ago & wow she is calmer, easier to direct & foul language has stopped. I'm hoping this lasts & isn't temporary. Not sure at this point if she should go back to the lower dose patch or try Aricept or just leave her as is now with 12.5 Seroquel twice a day & respirodone 0.25mg twice a day”

Ron · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2018

For Alzheimer's Disease: “Side effects and risks make this a dangerous drug to try. Have your pharmacist check for interactions with other drugs taken. Bad choice for patients with heart problems, or if on heart medications. Bad choice if on antipsychotics. Exelon can cause hypertension and slow the heart and other very bad side effects like tremor and dizziness. Doctors may not monitor the effects of this medication adequately. Read about its side effects very carefully.”

maitlandgirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2018

For Parkinson's Disease: “My mother was given these patches and steadily become aggressive, paranoid, depressed, confused, tired but not sleeping properly and most worrying constant visual hallucinations. She was hospitalised for over two months and recovered to her old self. We believe there is some kind of build up which results in these side effects. She is now off of the patches and we are already seeing a significant improvement”

Dusty's mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2017

Exelon (rivastigmine) for Alzheimer's Disease: “I used one month's worth of the 4.6 patches without any problems. I stepped up to the next level (I think 9.5) and immediately had headaches, nausea and tardive dyskinesia. I went back down to the 4.6 level and now have constant headaches, nausea and ringing in my ears.”

63 yowf patient · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2017

For Alzheimer's Disease: “The patch seemed to make me more clear in my thought process, more aware of my surroundings, and I was able to be more active. HOWEVER, the serious burning on the skin caused me to stop the drug. For the first 10 days, I did not have skin irritation from the patches; on the 11th day, a patch SERIOUSLY burned my skin, then all the other sites became serious wounds. Drainage, severe itching, infections, and probable permanent scarring.”

1939 GIRL September 19, 2016

For Alzheimer's Disease: “The patches dont stay on very well. Have no problem with patch made by sandoz. For the price paid you would expect more sticking power.”

Hey Brown · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2016

For Alzheimer's Disease: “Took 3mg before bed. Woke up wet from sweat, extremely weak and with severe stomache pain.”

not number 8 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 2, 2016

Exelon (rivastigmine) for Alzheimer's Disease: “I have 7 Immediate Family members that had Alzheimer's and died except my younger sister, Debra Age 61. She resides in a Nursing Home and was admitted 1/13/13. My Dr. put me on the Exelon Patch around that time. I have enjoyed extra energy. I have been diagnosed with mild cognitive loss. I am 63. No adverse side effects from the Exelon Patch. Don't like black gummy circle it leaves on skin. 9/20/2015, I went to my Pharmacy for my Exelon Patch. The script they gave me was for Rivastigmine, with bright RED sticker: A GENERIC EQUIVALENT DRUG has been dispensed of the same QUALITY and at a LOWER PRICE. UNTRUE. It falls off and sticks to clothes. 1st script at generic price, 2nd and on full price of EXELON. Ins won't pay”

coffeeeee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 24, 2015

Exelon (rivastigmine) for Alzheimer's Disease: “this med does nothing but empty my wallet and make me nuts. You are really crazy if you take------it does nothing except screw with your mind”

JoanieP July 14, 2015

Exelon (rivastigmine) for Alzheimer's Disease: “My mother was put on the patch several years ago. It is difficult to measure it's effectiveness with a degenerative disease, but I think she has declined a little slower than others I have seen. However, the cost is TERRIBLE even after Medicare Part D pays.”

Relieved and Happy · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 5, 2015

Exelon (rivastigmine) for Alzheimer's Disease: “Mom, 85, started using the Exelon Patch (13.9) about one year ago and it has made such a wonderful improvement in her mood, quality of life and cognitive ability. It has given her back a life and provided the family quality time to enjoy her. Before the patch, her memory was poor, she was agitated and continually negative, suspicious and lashing out at everyone. Thanks to the Exelon patch, she's able to have a normal, peaceful life, without any type of side effects. We feel very Blessed to have been told about the patch and I try to inform people with similar situations of the impact it has had on my mom.”

Wife of Bob February 16, 2015

Exelon (rivastigmine) for Alzheimer's Disease: “My husband has advanced Alzheimer's and has been on 3 weeks of the 4.6 patch. He has become sexually active after months of no sex, but now wants it every night. I'm afraid to get him to the next level.”

Anonymous January 24, 2015

Exelon (rivastigmine) for Alzheimer's Disease: “My mother has been on the patch with no side effects at all. She only been taking it for a few weeks but I can tell a huge change in her confusion and she's not as aggressive. The only problem is how expensive it is.”

normasims · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2014

Exelon (rivastigmine) for Parkinson's Disease: “My husband has Parkinson's dementia and was put on Exelon patch 4 months ago. He has psoriasis and the patch (we think) may have triggered it to be worse. He does not want to stop the patch because of the good mental alertness he receives from it but the rash has become more widespread on his upper torso. Doctor does not believe it is Exelon but I have begun to remove the patch after 12 hours and the rash has improved. I believe the dose may be too high and causes the dermatitis. Overall it is a good medicine.”

xeon June 5, 2013

Exelon (rivastigmine) for Alzheimer's Disease: “My father has been on the patch now about 2 1/2 months for Alzheimer's dementia. He stepped up to the 13.3 mg about 2 weeks ago and the patches don't want to stay on. Nurse asked if they could use skin prep before the application; but Novartis helpline didn't answer that question. They are going to check out the lot the patches came from to be sure it's not a manufacturer issue. ”

THEcondor April 17, 2012

Exelon (rivastigmine) for Alzheimer's Disease: “I am 71 and my mom died at 91 after a long decline into total dementia, though not Alzheimer's. When she was given Exelon, she became quite difficult and insulting, so we took her off. I was experiencing initial stages of decline at the time and so I tried her remaining patches for 10 days, at 4mg strength. I immediately felt an improvement in clarity and motivation, but I am under heavy blood pressure medicines and so still did not have the ability to do all I wanted. After 10 days I stopped the patches and quickly went back to my somewhat confused and listless situation. Three months later I got a prescription and began using the patches again with the significant improvement. But a 9.5 dose makes me aggressive. Problem is the price.”

Anonymous December 31, 2011

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My husband has had seven months of extra added quality of life following the Rivastigmine patch was prescribed back in March. Unfortunately the effect appears to have been lost over the past six weeks. I am now waiting for advice on how to discontinue the use of the patch and fear the return of confusion, restlessness, agitation due to awareness of the memory problem.”

Anonymous January 12, 2011

Exelon (rivastigmine) for Parkinson's Disease: “My mother has been on this medication for 2 1/2 weeks. With each day she has become more and more agitated, confused, confrontational, and delusional. I am taking her off of it. It may be that this medicine is better suited for Alzheimer's patients than Parkinson's patients.”