User Reviews for Rivastigmine to treat Alzheimer's Disease

Also known as: Exelon

Rivastigmine has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 24 ratings for the treatment of Alzheimer's Disease. 42% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Rivastigmine Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Alzheimer's Disease.

Reviews for Rivastigmine

Relieved and Happy · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 5, 2015

Exelon (rivastigmine): “Mom, 85, started using the Exelon Patch (13.9) about one year ago and it has made such a wonderful improvement in her mood, quality of life and cognitive ability. It has given her back a life and provided the family quality time to enjoy her. Before the patch, her memory was poor, she was agitated and continually negative, suspicious and lashing out at everyone. Thanks to the Exelon patch, she's able to have a normal, peaceful life, without any type of side effects. We feel very Blessed to have been told about the patch and I try to inform people with similar situations of the impact it has had on my mom.”

THEcondor April 17, 2012

Exelon (rivastigmine): “I am 71 and my mom died at 91 after a long decline into total dementia, though not Alzheimer's. When she was given Exelon, she became quite difficult and insulting, so we took her off. I was experiencing initial stages of decline at the time and so I tried her remaining patches for 10 days, at 4mg strength. I immediately felt an improvement in clarity and motivation, but I am under heavy blood pressure medicines and so still did not have the ability to do all I wanted. After 10 days I stopped the patches and quickly went back to my somewhat confused and listless situation. Three months later I got a prescription and began using the patches again with the significant improvement. But a 9.5 dose makes me aggressive. Problem is the price.”

Wife of Bob February 16, 2015

Exelon (rivastigmine): “My husband has advanced Alzheimer's and has been on 3 weeks of the 4.6 patch. He has become sexually active after months of no sex, but now wants it every night. I'm afraid to get him to the next level.”

not number 8 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 2, 2016

Exelon (rivastigmine): “I have 7 Immediate Family members that had Alzheimer's and died except my younger sister, Debra Age 61. She resides in a Nursing Home and was admitted 1/13/13. My Dr. put me on the Exelon Patch around that time. I have enjoyed extra energy. I have been diagnosed with mild cognitive loss. I am 63. No adverse side effects from the Exelon Patch. Don't like black gummy circle it leaves on skin. 9/20/2015, I went to my Pharmacy for my Exelon Patch. The script they gave me was for Rivastigmine, with bright RED sticker: A GENERIC EQUIVALENT DRUG has been dispensed of the same QUALITY and at a LOWER PRICE. UNTRUE. It falls off and sticks to clothes. 1st script at generic price, 2nd and on full price of EXELON. Ins won't pay”

Anonymous January 24, 2015

Exelon (rivastigmine): “My mother has been on the patch with no side effects at all. She only been taking it for a few weeks but I can tell a huge change in her confusion and she's not as aggressive. The only problem is how expensive it is.”

Forester · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 20, 2020

“My mom was put on the smaller dosage patch of rivastigmine for a few weeks and after little improvement with her Alzheimer's disease was upped to a larger patch. She has been on it for 7 months and has seen wonderful improvement. She has so many good days compared to before the patch! Recently she even started reading again, which used to be her passion. We are so grateful for this medication.”

Dusty's mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2017

Exelon (rivastigmine): “I used one month's worth of the 4.6 patches without any problems. I stepped up to the next level (I think 9.5) and immediately had headaches, nausea and tardive dyskinesia. I went back down to the 4.6 level and now have constant headaches, nausea and ringing in my ears.”

JoanieP July 14, 2015

Exelon (rivastigmine): “My mother was put on the patch several years ago. It is difficult to measure it's effectiveness with a degenerative disease, but I think she has declined a little slower than others I have seen. However, the cost is TERRIBLE even after Medicare Part D pays.”

Caregiver82 · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2019

“I gave my 82 year old mother 1 Rivastigmine 6mg capsule and I almost lost her. It started out with profuse sweating, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. Rushed to hospital, she could not speak, arm spasms, confusion, hypothermia, sepsis, altered mental status, hypertension and atrial fibrillation. This medication almost was the end for my mother. It is poison!!!! It took a week for this medication to get out of her system. All I have to say..DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION/POISON!!!!”

xeon June 5, 2013

Exelon (rivastigmine): “My father has been on the patch now about 2 1/2 months for Alzheimer's dementia. He stepped up to the 13.3 mg about 2 weeks ago and the patches don't want to stay on. Nurse asked if they could use skin prep before the application; but Novartis helpline didn't answer that question. They are going to check out the lot the patches came from to be sure it's not a manufacturer issue. ”

Warmdays · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 8, 2019

“My aunt was prescribed Exelon patch after being on Aricept for two years. Her mmse scores dropped 10 points within one year(out of total score 30)! This patch did not stop her decline, and might even promote the decline! Be careful!!”

Sarah · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

“Mom started the rivastigmine at a dose 4.6 and in 24hrs she had improved significantly. She napped less, laughed and actually recalled my brother's phone number. However, after 4 weeks she went up to 9 mg patch and in a few days I noticed she wasn't as sprite. Bit agitated, napping more, unsteady its like she reverted to no treatment at all. See what doc suggests”

63 yowf patient · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2017

“The patch seemed to make me more clear in my thought process, more aware of my surroundings, and I was able to be more active. HOWEVER, the serious burning on the skin caused me to stop the drug. For the first 10 days, I did not have skin irritation from the patches; on the 11th day, a patch SERIOUSLY burned my skin, then all the other sites became serious wounds. Drainage, severe itching, infections, and probable permanent scarring.”

ELLE February 26, 2019

“75yr old mom was put on the Exelon patch initial dose Feb 2018. Cognitively she remained stable with some decline starting 7 months later & agitation. No doc had mentioned her dose should be increased to the next level until the end of Oct 2018. At this time she was declining cognitively & more & more aggressive towards my father. This aggression & agitation became worse after increasing the dose. But Doc felt it was best to continue. Finally my Dad had reached the end of his wire last week (Feb 22nd 2019) Her behavior so difficult to deal with. Spitting, swearing, punching, uncontrollable at the stores i.e. Wanting to buy so much. He stopped applying the patch 4 days ago & wow she is calmer, easier to direct & foul language has stopped. I'm hoping this lasts & isn't temporary. Not sure at this point if she should go back to the lower dose patch or try Aricept or just leave her as is now with 12.5 Seroquel twice a day & respirodone 0.25mg twice a day”

Ron · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2018

“Side effects and risks make this a dangerous drug to try. Have your pharmacist check for interactions with other drugs taken. Bad choice for patients with heart problems, or if on heart medications. Bad choice if on antipsychotics. Exelon can cause hypertension and slow the heart and other very bad side effects like tremor and dizziness. Doctors may not monitor the effects of this medication adequately. Read about its side effects very carefully.”

Spicy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 22, 2019

“rivastigmine medication is very expensive and I could not tell that it was helping my wife, I had such high expectations that I got 3 month supply and now had to take her off because she has trouble breathing and sweating problems.”

Anonymous December 31, 2011

“My husband has had seven months of extra added quality of life following the Rivastigmine patch was prescribed back in March. Unfortunately the effect appears to have been lost over the past six weeks. I am now waiting for advice on how to discontinue the use of the patch and fear the return of confusion, restlessness, agitation due to awareness of the memory problem.”

Anonymous October 9, 2008

Exelon (rivastigmine): “I've only been using this medication (patch) for a month but the positive effects it has had on me are spectacular.It has eased my discomfort and confusion. I have experienced no side effects at all.”

Anonymous February 21, 2010

Exelon (rivastigmine): “Helped my dad with this patch. He was less agitated, better behaved and was able to do more for himself.”

Anonymous November 21, 2008

Exelon (rivastigmine): “My mum had quite a few side effects.”

coffeeeee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 24, 2015

Exelon (rivastigmine): “this med does nothing but empty my wallet and make me nuts. You are really crazy if you take------it does nothing except screw with your mind”

Hey Brown · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2016

“Took 3mg before bed. Woke up wet from sweat, extremely weak and with severe stomache pain.”

alicas September 17, 2009

“Besides nausea this has improved my mothers life 500 percent..overall improvement wonderful.”

1939 GIRL September 19, 2016

“The patches dont stay on very well. Have no problem with patch made by sandoz. For the price paid you would expect more sticking power.”

Dave · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 30, 2021

“Some patches stick and some fall off. I hold the patch on with a bandaid. Works ! I have a red spot, the size of the patch on my chest after removing the patch... clears up after a week..”

Learn more about Alzheimer's Disease