User Reviews for Carbidopa / levodopa

Also known as: Atamet, Duopa, Parcopa, Rytary, Sinemet, Sinemet CR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Carbidopa/levodopa.

Restless Legs Syndrome
8.5

Parkinson's Disease
6.2

Summary of Carbidopa/levodopa reviews 7.3 51 reviews

Reviews for Carbidopa/levodopa

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "Since cutting my dosage of mirapexin which was causing me to sleep excessively and using sinemet I feel a lot better. I had also gained 12kilos while taking mirapexin which seemed to give me a sugar craving. I am not up to the full dose of sinemet yet but I am optimistic that I will lose the weight I have gained. Motor skills that I was told should return haven't as yet. Paul, 57, Sports Teacher. Brighton England"

Paul Hubby (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2018

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) for Restless Legs Syndrome: "I've been taking 50mg of Sinemet for RLS every night, just before bed. While it reduces RLS, my wife still says I twitch. Side effects: cold feet, I have to wear socks at night and even during normal activities around the house. Lately, I've noticed forgetfulness, a listed side effect. Am thinking about switching medications. However, all RLS meds seem to have the same side effects. I may go to Gabapentin Enacarbil, or Horizant."

Zigpa (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 15, 2018

For Parkinson's Disease: "Do not take this if you have a history of depression. My brother was on for 4 days and became more depressed and suicidal. He is only 55 and never has been suicidal in the past."

Anonymous February 15, 2018

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I've taken Sinemet for 15 years now for RLS. I've experienced no side effects. I actually take Mirapex at night which works well but find it wears off by the next afternoon. I take the Sinemet around lunchtime in order to carry me over until I take the Mirapex in the evening. The timing and combo work very well."

PIEVANS February 8, 2018

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "I've been on Rytary since 2015 and at times was on 5 pills 4 x a day of the 48.75-195 dosage. Partial neuroleptic seizures were a result, mild psychosis, paranoia, anxiety, mood swings, depression, dyskenisia dystonia, impulse control, sleeplesness, among others, all things I've dealt with at some point along the way. I'm now on 3 pills 5 times a day. With a small dose of 2mg artane in between 4 x a day. I have not been able to really lock down whatever makes it work. It is wildly inconsistent but when it's on it's on, and I get some normal time. Certain strains of medical marijuana help increase the efficacy of this drug. Kicks in sooner and can give me up to 6-7 hours of normal time. Instead of 1hr to kick in and 1-2 hrs normal time."

Your Nickname (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 13, 2017

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "My wife was placed on Rytary and was doing fine. We switched doctors, and she was taken off Rytary and was give Sinemet and she went down hill to the point we had to cancel a vacation. We switched her back to Rytary, and will not go back. If you have Parkinson's, try Rytary, you may do much better."

No way Sinemet (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 31, 2017

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I've had RLS since a child. I began on Carbadopa in the 1990's, but I quickly became used to it, and was switched to Sinemet about 2000. It works well, with no side effects. I'm on a very low dose. Like many others here, timing is everything and there are many other factors to consider: - Take Sinemet at least 1/2 to 1 hour before you eat. - Eat early (so food digests before you go to bed). - Eat a light meal (heavy or spicy foods can amplify the symptoms of RLS). - Refrain from drinking liquids about a hour before bed. - Stress can aggravate RLS symptoms (try yoga or some other stress reduction activity). - Adjust the room temperature to be comfortable. - Maintain a healthy weight. - Exercise!!!"

Kansas Sebastian (taken for 10 years or more) October 10, 2017

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "RLS is horrible. My legs were jumping like an acrobat. Sometimes, during the day my legs would give out. My neurologist prescribed 25/100 - 3Xpd. It was a miracle drug. Stopped RLS immediately. But I had other problems. Body hurt all over and was stiff. Muscles were weak. My legs were heavy and it was hard to walk. However, the 25/100 fixed it all. I feel great! Have more energy and getting stronger every day. Cutting down on pain meds and at 68 I have a wonderful and new quality of life. I've only been taking it for 2 weeks and I am so thankful. I now sleep 100 percent better. The dose only works around 7-8 hours. I take it every 8 hours. I take it at 8:00pm and I wake up around 3-4:00am with symptoms starting again. Takes 30 min to work."

Tom Grandy (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) for Restless Legs Syndrome: "I am going on my 5th pregnancy with boy number 5. Around 9 weeks my legs were flopping around like a half-dead fish out of water that is what my legs looked like about every 30-40 seconds all day and night unless I was walking constantly. I begged my doctor to give me something, anything. She refused. I tried every natural remedy I could think of. She finally gave me sinomet at 25/100 mg dose half a pill and it worked wonders but I noticed after a few weeks of taking it wore off faster and then my legs became worse so my doctor has to keep increasing my dosage. I am 30 weeks now and at 2 pills a day. I take in half and quarter increments throughout the day to avoid the onset of the RLS. if taken properly it works great."

Pregnantwithrls July 7, 2017

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) for Restless Legs Syndrome: "I have been taking Sinemet for several years.... it has work great for me. I take one every night before bed. But I have recently stopped taking it and turned to using essential oils instead, I have not taken a Sinemet for the last 10 nights and have had no issues with my RLS! But I would recommend it to any one who is looking for relief from the symptoms! Myself I prefer natural ways to help with my ailments!"

Pamda (taken for 10 years or more) June 25, 2017

For Parkinson's Disease: "Diag 2010 at 46yo. Currently on year 6-7 of taking this combination of drugs. Still doing good but have noticed more off time as the years/months go by. I know the 10 year time window of losing its effectiveness is fast approaching for me. Generics are not all created equal. You need to try every mfg for a few months to see which one works for you. For me the only brand that works is mfg by Mayne Pharma (formerly Teva). The other mfg: on one I can never get stabalized (to much/too little in a pill) the other one gives me night terrors."

mjbaz2002 June 17, 2017

For Parkinson's Disease: "After every dose have 30 to 45 minutes of extreme tiredness and difficulty thinking. As time goes on seems to be getting worse. Have not been able to get any answers."

Charlie6 June 14, 2017

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "terrible depression, mood swings, not helping tremors seems same as before I was taking them, might ask doctor to stop giving it one more week, I have been taking for 6 weeks"

mark 1234 June 5, 2017

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "I've been taking Rytary since Feb 2016, I settled in on taking 3 capsules of Rytary 48.75mg/195mg 4 times a day & 1 capsule of Rytary 61.25 mg / 245 mg at bedtime initially this dosing combination allowed me to achieve virtually no down time until, I experienced some serious stress which eventually led to 4 to 6 hours of off time a day as well as significant dyskinesia between doses, especially as the day wore on. Next I was favorably evaluated and underwent DBS surgery in Feb 2017 with stimulation I'm still on the same day dose, but have stopped taking 2 capsules Rytary 48.75mg/195mg at bedtime with virtually no down time and no noticeable dyskinesia. Rytary has work very well for me during this time. With DBS hope to reduce daily Rytary"

Anonymous June 3, 2017

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) for Restless Legs Syndrome: "At first I thought Sinemet was the greatest thing ever. I took it for two years and began to suffer all sorts of odd side effects which I didn't at first associate with the drug. But the worst was one that nearly killed me. I didn't even realize it was happening at first because I was having brief periods of blackout. I'd be walking and suddenly feel as though the earth had shifted under my feet. It finally happened while I was driving. I snapped out of it, fortunately without hitting anyone or anything, but didn't know where I was. I stopped taking it and all the symptoms I'd experienced disappeared."

Simbidia (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2017

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "I took Rytary for approximately 1 month in 2016. The worst experience in the 14 years I have had Parkinson's disease. My Neuro tried different doses at different times of the day, it would only work with Sinemet to help kickstart at first, after about a week it was no longer predictable. Several times I had to crawl because I could not walk, once I got up to go the bathroom but could not cross the threshold and had to urinate on the floor. The last day my Neuro asked me to try 4 capsules at once as a last resort, It was 2 hours before I could get out of bed! I still feel the effects to this day."

gar wootton (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2017

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "The initial results seemed to improve on times, compared with Sinemet, however the side effects had a devastating impact on my family relationships. Out of nowhere I became a compulsive gambler. Other issues of sleeplessness, hypersexaulity ,anxiety, just to name a few. The minute I stopped using Rytary all these issues went away. To be fair, impulse control issues were a concern with the regular Sinemet product but I was always able to stop the above negative behaviors. Rytary warning label spells out these side effects so anyone with impulse control problems should be on guard when trying this product."

nurhan (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "I have been taking Sinemet for more than 6 months. I started with 1 pill every meal (3 times a day) and then I went to two pills with every Meal. I feel Okay, except that I am having problems with my eyes. I see double sometimes. Furthermore, I have been afflicted with Steven-Johnston Syndrome, since the age of 19 years old. This causes Dry Eyes plus I have eye lashes going In ward, which does not help matters. I rated Sinemet as 8 but I am sure Sinemet is good for me since I no longer have the symptoms associated with Parkinson disease. My problems seem to be associated more with eyes"

R. Rab. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 20, 2017

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "I have been on Rytary for 10 months. At first it worked well: 2 pills (23.75mg,95mg) 3 times a day with one at bedtime. Since the 6th month I have had INCREASING DYSKINESIA and muscle cramps. In November they were unstoppable and I had to go to the hospital for a relaxant IV. (The ER did not know what the heck to do). I was screaming with pain. I am trying different doses and times but I believe the delivery is defective and uneven. I have no control over the delivery. I do not think my PD disease could have progressed tha t fast in 4 months. I was "stable" and in control on Sinemet. :1/2 S. 25/100 every two hours for a total of 450 to 500 mg a day. I was sleeping well. Now I am bent over, in PAIN, never know how I will be."

GrrrBear (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2016

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "for several years I was prescribed Clonizephm? an opiate, had bad side effects and very addictive, a new Doctor took me off that drug and put me on Sinemet and has worked good for my RLS"

Kelso48 October 16, 2016

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "My mom was switched to Rytary to decrease off periods. She used to be able to walk one mile. At first the Rytary seemed great, but then her neurologist couldn't get a dose that worked consistently. The manufacturer says absorption is 70%, her Neuro says 50%, but sometimes it was 0% and when we would add some immediate release levodopa, she would get horrible dyskinesia. She could barely walk and we've switched back to old meds with little improvement. I regret ever switching!!"

Kbsdaughter (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2016

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I have had RLS since I was a child and before it had a name. I'm 66 now and have been taking the 25-100, carbidopa for 10 plus years. I started with a 1/4 table, but now up to full tablet and it's barely working. I can't imagine my life without it. After reading posts of others, I realize some of my experiences are also related, such as short term memory loss, (I was afraid I had beginning stages of Altzeimers. I have also found I can not even think about eating anything with sugar or lots of salt near bedtime. I wanted to share, since taking a full pill now, I have the most vivid and wonderful dreams. Bottom line, I couldn't imagine life without it. (Soap has NEVER worked for me)."

HarleyNana June 23, 2016

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I've been taking carbidopa/Levidopa (generic for Sinemet) for almost 20 years. No side effects. However, timing is the key. I try to eat dinner very early around 5 o'clock, so the food is totally digested by 11 -12 o'clock midnight. Otherwise it could take a long time to feel results, especially if you've eaten a lot of protein or fatty foods. It even states in the "fine print" of this drug that it's effectiveness is determined by how much protein you eat. I take one 25/100mg Carbidopa/Levidopa(CL) at 9:30 pm PLUS one 25/100 and one 50/200mg of CL after 11:00 pm. My doc also prescribed half of a 10mg Flexeril to take before bed. It's "knocks me out" and I SLEEP!!"

Sanscript2468 April 18, 2016

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) for Restless Legs Syndrome: "I have to take more and more. It wears off fast. I also get constipated and itch like crazy from it!"

lizzann (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2015

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "I am a 63 year old female and have had Parkinson's for 3 years. Sinemet worked well for me but I was beginning to have down time between doses. My neurologist started me on Rytary and I took it for 2 months. Rytary gave me more energy and less downtime between doses but had horrible side effects. I tried adjusting my dosages but no improvement. I was unable to sleep, had nausea and vomiting, lost significant weight, had chills and Ivey hands but sweat ran from my face. My temp after the last dose of the day ran 96.9. Then, I started having chest pains. I take Azilect so that may have caused the Rytary to have a stronger effect. I was in bed most of the day. Switched back to Sinement with doses every 3 hrs and feel great!"

MissLadyToo September 18, 2015