User Reviews for Carbidopa / levodopa

Also known as: Atamet, Duopa, Parcopa, Rytary, Sinemet, Sinemet CR

Learn more about Carbidopa/levodopa.

Restless Legs Syndrome 22 reviews 14 medications

8.4
Parkinson's Disease 21 reviews 49 medications

6.4
Summary of Carbidopa/levodopa reviews 43 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Carbidopa/levodopa

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) for Restless Legs Syndrome: "I am going on my 5th pregnancy with boy number 5. Around 9 weeks my legs were flopping around like a half-dead fish out of water that is what my legs looked like about every 30-40 seconds all day and night unless I was walking constantly. I begged my doctor to give me something, anything. She refused. I tried every natural remedy I could think of. She finally gave me sinomet at 25/100 mg dose half a pill and it worked wonders but I noticed after a few weeks of taking it wore off faster and then my legs became worse so my doctor has to keep increasing my dosage. I am 30 weeks now and at 2 pills a day. I take in half and quarter increments throughout the day to avoid the onset of the RLS. if taken properly it works great."

Pregnantwithrls July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) for Restless Legs Syndrome: "I have been taking Sinemet for several years.... it has work great for me. I take one every night before bed. But I have recently stopped taking it and turned to using essential oils instead, I have not taken a Sinemet for the last 10 nights and have had no issues with my RLS! But I would recommend it to any one who is looking for relief from the symptoms! Myself I prefer natural ways to help with my ailments!"

Pamda (taken for 10 years or more) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Parkinson's Disease: "Diag 2010 at 46yo. Currently on year 6-7 of taking this combination of drugs. Still doing good but have noticed more off time as the years/months go by. I know the 10 year time window of losing its effectiveness is fast approaching for me. Generics are not all created equal. You need to try every mfg for a few months to see which one works for you. For me the only brand that works is mfg by Mayne Pharma (formerly Teva). The other mfg: on one I can never get stabalized (to much/too little in a pill) the other one gives me night terrors."

mjbaz2002 June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Parkinson's Disease: "After every dose have 30 to 45 minutes of extreme tiredness and difficulty thinking. As time goes on seems to be getting worse. Have not been able to get any answers."

Charlie6 June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "terrible depression, mood swings, not helping tremors seems same as before I was taking them, might ask doctor to stop giving it one more week, I have been taking for 6 weeks"

mark 1234 June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "I've been taking Rytary since Feb 2016, I settled in on taking 3 capsules of Rytary 48.75mg/195mg 4 times a day & 1 capsule of Rytary 61.25 mg / 245 mg at bedtime initially this dosing combination allowed me to achieve virtually no down time until, I experienced some serious stress which eventually led to 4 to 6 hours of off time a day as well as significant dyskinesia between doses, especially as the day wore on. Next I was favorably evaluated and underwent DBS surgery in Feb 2017 with stimulation I'm still on the same day dose, but have stopped taking 2 capsules Rytary 48.75mg/195mg at bedtime with virtually no down time and no noticeable dyskinesia. Rytary has work very well for me during this time. With DBS hope to reduce daily Rytary"

Anonymous June 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) for Restless Legs Syndrome: "At first I thought Sinemet was the greatest thing ever. I took it for two years and began to suffer all sorts of odd side effects which I didn't at first associate with the drug. But the worst was one that nearly killed me. I didn't even realize it was happening at first because I was having brief periods of blackout. I'd be walking and suddenly feel as though the earth had shifted under my feet. It finally happened while I was driving. I snapped out of it, fortunately without hitting anyone or anything, but didn't know where I was. I stopped taking it and all the symptoms I'd experienced disappeared."

Simbidia (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "I took Rytary for approximately 1 month in 2016. The worst experience in the 14 years I have had Parkinson's disease. My Neuro tried different doses at different times of the day, it would only work with Sinemet to help kickstart at first, after about a week it was no longer predictable. Several times I had to crawl because I could not walk, once I got up to go the bathroom but could not cross the threshold and had to urinate on the floor. The last day my Neuro asked me to try 4 capsules at once as a last resort, It was 2 hours before I could get out of bed! I still feel the effects to this day."

gar wootton (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "The initial results seemed to improve on times, compared with Sinemet, however the side effects had a devastating impact on my family relationships. Out of nowhere I became a compulsive gambler. Other issues of sleeplessness, hypersexaulity ,anxiety, just to name a few. The minute I stopped using Rytary all these issues went away. To be fair, impulse control issues were a concern with the regular Sinemet product but I was always able to stop the above negative behaviors. Rytary warning label spells out these side effects so anyone with impulse control problems should be on guard when trying this product."

nurhan (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "I have been taking Sinemet for more than 6 months. I started with 1 pill every meal (3 times a day) and then I went to two pills with every Meal. I feel Okay, except that I am having problems with my eyes. I see double sometimes. Furthermore, I have been afflicted with Steven-Johnston Syndrome, since the age of 19 years old. This causes Dry Eyes plus I have eye lashes going In ward, which does not help matters. I rated Sinemet as 8 but I am sure Sinemet is good for me since I no longer have the symptoms associated with Parkinson disease. My problems seem to be associated more with eyes"

R. Rab. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "I have been on Rytary for 10 months. At first it worked well: 2 pills (23.75mg,95mg) 3 times a day with one at bedtime. Since the 6th month I have had INCREASING DYSKINESIA and muscle cramps. In November they were unstoppable and I had to go to the hospital for a relaxant IV. (The ER did not know what the heck to do). I was screaming with pain. I am trying different doses and times but I believe the delivery is defective and uneven. I have no control over the delivery. I do not think my PD disease could have progressed tha t fast in 4 months. I was "stable" and in control on Sinemet. :1/2 S. 25/100 every two hours for a total of 450 to 500 mg a day. I was sleeping well. Now I am bent over, in PAIN, never know how I will be."

GrrrBear (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "for several years I was prescribed Clonizephm? an opiate, had bad side effects and very addictive, a new Doctor took me off that drug and put me on Sinemet and has worked good for my RLS"

Kelso48 October 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "My mom was switched to Rytary to decrease off periods. She used to be able to walk one mile. At first the Rytary seemed great, but then her neurologist couldn't get a dose that worked consistently. The manufacturer says absorption is 70%, her Neuro says 50%, but sometimes it was 0% and when we would add some immediate release levodopa, she would get horrible dyskinesia. She could barely walk and we've switched back to old meds with little improvement. I regret ever switching!!"

Kbsdaughter (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I have had RLS since I was a child and before it had a name. I'm 66 now and have been taking the 25-100, carbidopa for 10 plus years. I started with a 1/4 table, but now up to full tablet and it's barely working. I can't imagine my life without it. After reading posts of others, I realize some of my experiences are also related, such as short term memory loss, (I was afraid I had beginning stages of Altzeimers. I have also found I can not even think about eating anything with sugar or lots of salt near bedtime. I wanted to share, since taking a full pill now, I have the most vivid and wonderful dreams. Bottom line, I couldn't imagine life without it. (Soap has NEVER worked for me)."

HarleyNana June 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I've been taking carbidopa/Levidopa (generic for Sinemet) for almost 20 years. No side effects. However, timing is the key. I try to eat dinner very early around 5 o'clock, so the food is totally digested by 11 -12 o'clock midnight. Otherwise it could take a long time to feel results, especially if you've eaten a lot of protein or fatty foods. It even states in the "fine print" of this drug that it's effectiveness is determined by how much protein you eat. I take one 25/100mg Carbidopa/Levidopa(CL) at 9:30 pm PLUS one 25/100 and one 50/200mg of CL after 11:00 pm. My doc also prescribed half of a 10mg Flexeril to take before bed. It's "knocks me out" and I SLEEP!!"

Sanscript2468 April 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) for Restless Legs Syndrome: "I have to take more and more. It wears off fast. I also get constipated and itch like crazy from it!"

lizzann (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "I am a 63 year old female and have had Parkinson's for 3 years. Sinemet worked well for me but I was beginning to have down time between doses. My neurologist started me on Rytary and I took it for 2 months. Rytary gave me more energy and less downtime between doses but had horrible side effects. I tried adjusting my dosages but no improvement. I was unable to sleep, had nausea and vomiting, lost significant weight, had chills and Ivey hands but sweat ran from my face. My temp after the last dose of the day ran 96.9. Then, I started having chest pains. I take Azilect so that may have caused the Rytary to have a stronger effect. I was in bed most of the day. Switched back to Sinement with doses every 3 hrs and feel great!"

MissLadyToo September 18, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) for Restless Legs Syndrome: "I have been using carbi now for several years and it is a great drug. But I have a problem in the summers. When it gets hot I start getting High Uric acid (gout). I would like to know if any one else has this problem. And if so what did you do. What did your Dr do? "

KarenEdgemon August 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "Been taking Rytary for 5 months. First was on 3 pills 3 times a day and did really well. The last 2 months it has been 3 pills 4 times a day. I have been feeling agitated, nervous, seeing things that are not there and thinking my home is the place I used to work. I am afraid of hurting my wife and have terrible night dreams. I feel I have no where to turn for help. I only see a PA when I go to the doctor and she just gives me more medicine some of which has very serious side effects and has recommended DBS. These symptoms are a daily occurrence and I hope it is not the drug."

David age 65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "I've been on Rytary for 6 weeks. I take it 3 times a day, 3 pills at each dose. It is unpredictable at times. There are days that I get a full 6 hour benefit without wearing off. But food creates a problem with its effectiveness. There are other times that I'm on an empty stomach, but it does not allow me to have mobility until it kicks in. Other times it kicks in right away, then there's a period not working so well , and then it works again at the 5th hour. I'm really studying all the variables such as my sleep, food intake and stress levels. If I have stress, Rytary ceases to work. Perhaps I need to increase my dose. I'll discuss with my doc this week. But overall it has been much better than Sinemet which gave me 2 1/2 hours."

54 yr old (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rytary (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "I have been taking Rytary for the last 9 days, and it worked great at night since I was sleep. But it worked about 30%-40% for me as soon as I put something in my mouth. I had a small apple yesterday and took my pills 2 1/2 hours later, and I was stiff, with almost no movement for the next 2 hours. Today I had a very light vegii lunch at noon, took Rytary at 3pm which worked about 30%, and I finally decided to take my Parcopaat 6pm on top of Rytary! I would vote for Rytary at night only."

Banoojun (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "This combination has kept my restless legs syndrome at bay. Occasionally, I'll feel the symptoms between doses, so I take a 1/2 pill, which seems to take care of the problem. I don't think I have any side effects from it. All in all, I'm very satisfied with this medication."

blond_swede (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "Been on this for going on 15 years now. It has worked so well for me that I haven't even bothered to try the newer things out there. I very rarely have to take more than one even after taking it for this length of time."

Deej416 June 19, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) for Parkinson's Disease: "My mom just celebrated her 1 year anniversary on Sinemet so I wanted to share an update to give anyone newly diagnosed hope. Her dose is now 4 tablets a day (25/100), which she takes at 9:00am, 1:00pm, 5:00pm and 9:00pm. We increased from 3 tablets a day probably around month six, and she's been really doing well since then. No tremors, no obvious rigidity (or any Parkinson's symptoms at all), good appetite. Zero side effects from the Sinemet, which is why I say "celebrated." This is a remarkably effective and very affordable medication. Mom will turn 88 in May. Wishing everyone the success that we have had. God bless."

Dottie's daughter (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 2, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I'm just beginning to use this medication for restless leg syndrome so far I have noticed this will help me sleep at night."

Alicia R (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2013