User Reviews for Carbidopa / levodopa

Also known as: Atamet, Duopa, Parcopa, Rytary, Sinemet, Sinemet CR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Carbidopa/levodopa.

Carbidopa/levodopa Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Restless Legs Syndrome.

Reviews for Carbidopa/levodopa to treat Restless Legs Syndrome

"I've had RLS since a child. I began on Carbadopa in the 1990's, but I quickly became used to it, and was switched to Sinemet about 2000. It works well, with no side effects. I'm on a very low dose. Like many others here, timing is everything and there are many other factors to consider: - Take Sinemet at least 1/2 to 1 hour before you eat. - Eat early (so food digests before you go to bed). - Eat a light meal (heavy or spicy foods can amplify the symptoms of RLS). - Refrain from drinking liquids about a hour before bed. - Stress can aggravate RLS symptoms (try yoga or some other stress reduction activity). - Adjust the room temperature to be comfortable. - Maintain a healthy weight. - Exercise!!!"

Kansas Sebastian (taken for 10 years or more) October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"RLS is horrible. My legs were jumping like an acrobat. Sometimes, during the day my legs would give out. My neurologist prescribed 25/100 - 3Xpd. It was a miracle drug. Stopped RLS immediately. But I had other problems. Body hurt all over and was stiff. Muscles were weak. My legs were heavy and it was hard to walk. However, the 25/100 fixed it all. I feel great! Have more energy and getting stronger every day. Cutting down on pain meds and at 68 I have a wonderful and new quality of life. I've only been taking it for 2 weeks and I am so thankful. I now sleep 100 percent better. The dose only works around 7-8 hours. I take it every 8 hours. I take it at 8:00pm and I wake up around 3-4:00am with symptoms starting again. Takes 30 min to work."

Tom Grandy (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa): "I am going on my 5th pregnancy with boy number 5. Around 9 weeks my legs were flopping around like a half-dead fish out of water that is what my legs looked like about every 30-40 seconds all day and night unless I was walking constantly. I begged my doctor to give me something, anything. She refused. I tried every natural remedy I could think of. She finally gave me sinomet at 25/100 mg dose half a pill and it worked wonders but I noticed after a few weeks of taking it wore off faster and then my legs became worse so my doctor has to keep increasing my dosage. I am 30 weeks now and at 2 pills a day. I take in half and quarter increments throughout the day to avoid the onset of the RLS. if taken properly it works great."

Pregnantwithrls July 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa): "I have been taking Sinemet for several years.... it has work great for me. I take one every night before bed. But I have recently stopped taking it and turned to using essential oils instead, I have not taken a Sinemet for the last 10 nights and have had no issues with my RLS! But I would recommend it to any one who is looking for relief from the symptoms! Myself I prefer natural ways to help with my ailments!"

Pamda (taken for 10 years or more) June 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa): "At first I thought Sinemet was the greatest thing ever. I took it for two years and began to suffer all sorts of odd side effects which I didn't at first associate with the drug. But the worst was one that nearly killed me. I didn't even realize it was happening at first because I was having brief periods of blackout. I'd be walking and suddenly feel as though the earth had shifted under my feet. It finally happened while I was driving. I snapped out of it, fortunately without hitting anyone or anything, but didn't know where I was. I stopped taking it and all the symptoms I'd experienced disappeared."

Simbidia (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"for several years I was prescribed Clonizephm? an opiate, had bad side effects and very addictive, a new Doctor took me off that drug and put me on Sinemet and has worked good for my RLS"

Kelso48 October 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had RLS since I was a child and before it had a name. I'm 66 now and have been taking the 25-100, carbidopa for 10 plus years. I started with a 1/4 table, but now up to full tablet and it's barely working. I can't imagine my life without it. After reading posts of others, I realize some of my experiences are also related, such as short term memory loss, (I was afraid I had beginning stages of Altzeimers. I have also found I can not even think about eating anything with sugar or lots of salt near bedtime. I wanted to share, since taking a full pill now, I have the most vivid and wonderful dreams. Bottom line, I couldn't imagine life without it. (Soap has NEVER worked for me)."

HarleyNana June 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking carbidopa/Levidopa (generic for Sinemet) for almost 20 years. No side effects. However, timing is the key. I try to eat dinner very early around 5 o'clock, so the food is totally digested by 11 -12 o'clock midnight. Otherwise it could take a long time to feel results, especially if you've eaten a lot of protein or fatty foods. It even states in the "fine print" of this drug that it's effectiveness is determined by how much protein you eat. I take one 25/100mg Carbidopa/Levidopa(CL) at 9:30 pm PLUS one 25/100 and one 50/200mg of CL after 11:00 pm. My doc also prescribed half of a 10mg Flexeril to take before bed. It's "knocks me out" and I SLEEP!!"

Sanscript2468 April 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa): "I have to take more and more. It wears off fast. I also get constipated and itch like crazy from it!"

lizzann (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa): "I have been using carbi now for several years and it is a great drug. But I have a problem in the summers. When it gets hot I start getting High Uric acid (gout). I would like to know if any one else has this problem. And if so what did you do. What did your Dr do? "

KarenEdgemon August 30, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This combination has kept my restless legs syndrome at bay. Occasionally, I'll feel the symptoms between doses, so I take a 1/2 pill, which seems to take care of the problem. I don't think I have any side effects from it. All in all, I'm very satisfied with this medication."

blond_swede (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on this for going on 15 years now. It has worked so well for me that I haven't even bothered to try the newer things out there. I very rarely have to take more than one even after taking it for this length of time."

Deej416 June 19, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm just beginning to use this medication for restless leg syndrome so far I have noticed this will help me sleep at night."

Alicia R (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine has provided effective relief this past year. Timing is everything. I am finding I need to take earlier in the evening as it may take as long as an hour and a half to kick in. Then effects wear off by 3:30 am or so and another dose is needed to get through the rest of the night."

nras (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 4, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa): "I have been on Sinemet for at least 15 years. I have not had to raise the dosage due to augmentation as of yet. This is the very first medicine I tried for restless legs syndrome and it works so well for me I don't feel the need to try the newer medicines. I have had restless legs syndrome since my teens and am now hitting 60."

deej416 (taken for 10 years or more) August 19, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa): "I worked on my feet for 10 years now and developed restless leg about 2 years ago. No one understands what it is until they've encountered it themselves. I am prescribed Sinemet and I love it. I usually only take it when symptoms start (when those legs start a feeling funny). I am very fortunate because I suffer no side effects. I do not get sleepy and it doesn't bother my stomach. I would highly recommend this medication for anyone who is unfortunate enough to suffer from this."

MasonsMommy May 14, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa): "This has been a God send for me. I have been prescribed carbidopa-levodopa 25/100 for 10 years and am currently 53 (age). While it may affect others differently, I have seen absolutely no side effects. If I am beginning to feel restless legs syndrome, this medicine seems to take about an hour to eliminate the symptoms. Since these symptoms seem to come over me as I relax into the evening, I simply take one in advance and another just before bed. I also take it just before long drives and flights. Works great for me and I hope others may be as fortunate. I tried Requip at one time but it made me groggy."

KevinP504 (taken for 10 years or more) December 13, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa): "I have had restless legs syndrome for years due to iron deficiency. I took Sinemet for about a year and it seemed to work great for me. However, I could not take the full or even half of the dose because it really made me feel drowzy the following day so I would break it up and take a very small piece of the pill. Also, if you don't go to bed after taking it and stay up for a while, it can have the adverse effect on you. Makes you really sleepy, but make your restless legs symptoms worse. Good Luck!"

Amy Darrell February 20, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa): "I suffer from restless legs syndrome since 14 years ago and been taking Sinemet since. The only medication that works for me but only lasts for 2 to 3 hours then need to take again. For about nearly 2 years I came to realize that after eating food or drink contain msg/monosodiom glutamate - 621,627 which will contribute my suffering so if I eat less of this and will be less suffering. "

Kampret January 20, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had restless legs syndrome for over 15 years. It has gotten worse over the years, but with my doctor increasing my medication, my symptoms have been for the most part under control."

Anonymous January 10, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet CR (carbidopa / levodopa): "Watch out for increase in restless legs syndrome (augmentation) at higher doses. Info I found says should NOT be taken every day for RLS, not more than 3 times per week."

John U December 28, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa): "It is working great for me and unlike other medications it is not a controlled drug nor addicting."

Anonymous May 15, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa): "I have Restless legs both at night and during the day. The Sinemet helps some at night, but doesn't last through the night. I can't take it during the day because it makes me sleepy and upsets my stomach. If I take it with food it doesn't work at all. I have a heart condition, so there are some medicines I can't take."

Pat621 October 2, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa): "Sinemet works great for my restless legs syndrome, even better than the drugs more popularly prescribed. It is absolutely the one medication I cannot live without!"

Anonymous August 20, 2010