Amantadine use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Amantadine: Symmetrel
Amantadine Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
It is probably best to avoid amantadine during breastfeeding because of its potential negative effect on lactation.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Amantadine is a dopamine agonist. Clinical studies using amantadine dosages of 100 mg 2 or 3 times daily have demonstrated a decrease in serum prolactin and decreased galactorrhea in patients taking dopaminergic neuroleptic drugs such as phenothiazines, haloperidol and loxapine. No studies have been reported on the effects of amantadine on the milk supply in nursing mothers. The maternal prolactin level in a mother with established lactation may not affect her ability to breastfeed.
1. Correa N, Opler LA, Kay SR et al. Amantadine in the treatment of neuroendocrine side effects of neuroleptics. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1987;7(2):91-5. PMID: 2884239
2. Siever LJ. The effect of amantadine on prolactin levels and galactorrhea on neuroleptic-treated patients. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1981;1(1):2-7. PMID: 6117579
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about amantadine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 26 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: adamantane antivirals
Other brands: Symmetrel