User Reviews for Amantadine to treat Parkinson's Disease

Also known as: Gocovri Osmolex ER

Amantadine has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 15 ratings for the treatment of Parkinson's Disease. 67% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Amantadine Rating Summary

7.1/10 average rating

Compare all 67 medications used in the treatment of Parkinson's Disease.

Reviews for Amantadine

Jason · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2020

“I started taking amantadine to help with Dyskinesia caused by taking the drug Sinement for Parkinson's. I saw relief from Dyskinesia on first dose. And I also have had great results with it helping all of my Parkinson's symptoms.”

perkie parkie · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 22, 2013

Symmetrel (amantadine): “I hear that it only works in 50% of people who take it. I must be one of the lucky ones. Taking it along with Sinemet really takes care of me. And, no dosage shifting, plus slows down dyskinesia from Sinemet. You can take a "medication holiday" with this medicine and restart in a few days, to reinvent the good results, or test to see if it is working for you.”

BadHallucinations · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2019

“My husband starting taking Amantadine three weeks ago. After one week of this med he started to hallucinate which wasn't too bad at first. Today was his worst day with constant hallucinations all day long. I was scared he had the beginnings of Dementia or Alzheimer's. Called his neurologist who said to slowly cut back on his Amantadine and then stop it completely. So relieved to find out the problem was his med. Once the med is out of his system he should be okay. Will make sure he never takes Amantadine again!”

Johnvajon · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2018

“Started Amantadine 4 weeks ago 200 mg per day. Noticed immediately occasional dizziness and diarrhea after every 100mg capsule, lost any desire to get up and do anything, Midway through the third week, I cut my dosage down to 100 mg capsule per day, taken every evening at 8 pm before bedtime and that helped me sleep better and as well increased movement in arms and right leg and foot. Happy to say I am very pleased with the results!”

StanZ · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 5, 2016

Symmetrel (amantadine): “I am having nightmares, hallucinations, swollen ankles, legs with spots, falling down, sudden sleep, itchy skin, Also, shock at the fact that the cost went from $7 per 90 tabs to $249 for 180 in just 18 months. Will not continue due to cost. This is what I pay after Humana says they pay. ”

Dentist · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 31, 2019

“I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease (PD) more than 6 years ago. The tremors started affecting my left hand at first, 3 years later it affected my left leg causing me to walk funny( jerking movements) every time I taking levodopa/ cabridopa. In April 2017, I had deep brain stimulation (DBS) procedure done. DBS helps me tremendously but I still have to take levodopa/cabridopa 3 times a day, maximum dose: 25 mg/100mg x2 . I try amantadine but no help. Start with Gocorvi (amantadine) was since early 2018 and I begin cut down the levodopa by half about 6 months later. Today October 31, 2019, I have stop taking levodopa completely for several months, at least 2 months now, and still feel great. The tremors will comeback if I forgot to take Gocorvi the night before, and if I take levodopa to control the tremors then my left leg will walk funny.”

me · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2018

Symmetrel (amantadine): “I've only been on Amantadine for six weeks for Dystonia/Dystonic Tremors/probable early onset of Parkinsons and the Symmetrel has helped the tremors tremendously. There are side effects, i.e., dizziness, imbalance, strange dreams, dry mouth.”

fishhead November 17, 2009

“I have been on amantadine for 2 months and it has worked at times. Although at times the shaking just continues. The shaking is there as a tremble at all times. Increase of dosage with no further effect. Shaking runs right through medication. I guess it is not for me.”

neuromuser July 13, 2008

“Amantadine produced immediate positive results in me, specifically in my ability to move, increased facial expression, and sense of well being.”

MagicMom · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2014

“I have to say I noticed the wiggles disappeared after the first dose - I hope this continues to work. I did get a brief dizzy spell after the second dose but it quickly passed.”

Anonymous April 9, 2008

“Stops the "wiggles" associated with Parkinson's.”

Nonie November 23, 2020

“Hair loss and halucinations”

Helpful Hank · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 24, 2020

“Works to stop Dyskinesia caused by senement/dopamine pills”

parkinsonsbaer · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 31, 2016

“Works better for stiffness and rigidity than tremors. I do see some minor leg swelling bu the benefits far outweigh any side effects.”

MinkFink · Taken for less than 1 month July 1, 2016

“My first dose was perfection, but it soon stopped working. Dr. upped the ante...2 to 3 pills a day, but I'm not reaching that 1st dose perfection. =( I'll give it more time.”

Learn more about Parkinson's Disease