Generic Name: Fluoxetine Capsules and Tablets (floo OKS e teen)
Brand Name: Prozac
Medically reviewed on Sep 5, 2018
- Drugs like this one have raised the chance of suicidal thoughts or actions in children and young adults. The risk may be greater in people who have had these thoughts or actions in the past. All people who take Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets) need to be watched closely. Call the doctor right away if signs like low mood (depression), nervousness, restlessness, grouchiness, panic attacks, or changes in mood or actions are new or worse. Call the doctor right away if any thoughts or actions of suicide occur.
- This medicine is not approved for use in all children. Talk with the doctor to be sure that Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets) is right for your child.
Uses of Prozac:
- It is used to treat low mood (depression).
- It is used to treat obsessive-compulsive problems.
- It is used to treat eating problems.
- It is used to treat panic attacks.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Prozac?
- If you have an allergy to fluoxetine or any other part of Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Linezolid, methylene blue, pimozide, or thioridazine.
- If you have taken certain drugs used for low mood (depression) like isocarboxazid, phenelzine, or tranylcypromine or drugs used for Parkinson's disease like selegiline or rasagiline in the last 14 days. Taking Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets) within 14 days of those drugs can cause very bad high blood pressure.
- If you are taking any drugs that can cause a certain type of heartbeat that is not normal (prolonged QT interval). There are many drugs that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Prozac?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets) affects you.
- Do not stop taking Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets) all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of side effects. If you need to stop Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets), you will want to slowly stop it as ordered by your doctor.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets).
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- It may take several weeks to see the full effects.
- This medicine may affect how much of some other drugs are in your body. If you are taking other drugs, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while taking Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets) with your other drugs.
- This medicine may raise the chance of bleeding. Sometimes, bleeding can be life-threatening. Talk with the doctor.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly reactions along with a rash have rarely happened with Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets). Lung, kidney, or liver problems have also happened. Call your doctor right away if you have a change in the amount of urine passed, dark urine, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, yellow skin or eyes, or shortness of breath.
- Some people may have a higher chance of eye problems with Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets). Your doctor may want you to have an eye exam to see if you have a higher chance of these eye problems. Call your doctor right away if you have eye pain, change in eyesight, or swelling or redness in or around the eye.
- This medicine can cause low sodium levels. Very low sodium levels can be life-threatening, leading to seizures, passing out, trouble breathing, or death. Talk with the doctor.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may affect growth in children and teens in some cases. They may need regular growth checks. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets) while you are pregnant.
- Taking Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets) in the third trimester of pregnancy may lead to some health problems in the newborn. Talk with the doctor.
How is this medicine (Prozac) best taken?
Use Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of low sodium levels like headache, trouble focusing, memory problems, feeling confused, weakness, seizures, or change in balance.
- A big weight gain or loss.
- Sex problems like lowered interest in sex or ejaculation problems.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Very nervous and excitable.
- A very bad and sometimes deadly health problem called serotonin syndrome may happen. The risk may be greater if you take Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets) with drugs for depression, migraines, or certain other drugs. Call your doctor right away if you have agitation; change in balance; confusion; hallucinations; fever; fast or abnormal heartbeat; flushing; muscle twitching or stiffness; seizures; shivering or shaking; sweating a lot; very bad diarrhea, upset stomach, or throwing up; or very bad headache.
- A type of abnormal heartbeat (prolonged QT interval) has happened with Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets). Sometimes, this has led to another type of unsafe abnormal heartbeat (torsades de pointes). Call your doctor right away if you have a fast or abnormal heartbeat, or if you pass out.
- Call your doctor right away if you have a painful erection (hard penis) or an erection that lasts for longer than 4 hours. This may happen even when you are not having sex. If this is not treated right away, it may lead to lasting sex problems and you may not be able to have sex.
What are some other side effects of Prozac?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Not hungry.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Dry mouth.
- Feeling sleepy.
- Strange or odd dreams.
- Not able to sleep.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Flu-like signs.
- Hot flashes.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Sweating a lot.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Prozac?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Protect from light.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets) is refilled. If you have any questions about Prozac (fluoxetine capsules and tablets), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Prozac (fluoxetine)
- Prozac Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 731 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors