Pirnuo Side Effects
Generic name: mupirocin topical
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 29, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about mupirocin topical. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Pirnuo.
Applies to mupirocin topical: topical cream, topical ointment. Other dosage forms:
Serious side effects of Pirnuo
Along with its needed effects, mupirocin topical (the active ingredient contained in Pirnuo) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking mupirocin topical:
- Burning, stinging, or pain on the application site
- Blistering, crusting, irritation, itching, or reddening of the skin
- canker sores
- cracked, dry, scaly skin
- pain, swelling, tenderness, warmth on the skin
- sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or tongue or inside the mouth
Incidence not known
- Abdominal or stomach tenderness
- difficulty with swallowing
- fast heartbeat
- hives or welts, itching, or skin rash
- large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- redness of the skin
- severe abdominal or stomach cramps and pain
- tightness in the chest
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- watery and severe diarrhea, which may also be bloody
Other side effects of Pirnuo
Some side effects of mupirocin topical may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to mupirocin topical: compounding powder, nasal ointment, topical cream, topical kit, topical ointment.
Nasal Ointment: Cutaneous hypersensitivity reactions have been reported very rarely during postmarketing experience.
Topical Ointment: Cutaneous sensitization reactions to the active component or ointment base have been reported.[Ref]
-Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Pruritus/itching
-Frequency not reported: Rash
-Postmarketing reports: Cutaneous hypersensitivity reactions
-Common (1% to 10%): Rash, pruritus, cutaneous hypersensitivity reactions
-Common (1% to 10%): Pruritus/itching, erythema, dry skin/dryness
Frequency not reported: Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea
-Frequency not reported: Diarrhea, dry mouth, nausea
-Common (1% to 10%): Diarrhea, nausea
-Frequency not reported: Nausea[Ref]
-Common (1% to 10%): Burning, irritation, tingling, itching, stinging, soreness, facial pain over maxillae
-Common (1% to 10%): Application site reactions, application site burning, application site hypersensitivity reactions (including urticaria, pruritus, erythema, burning sensation, contact dermatitis, rash)
-Common (1% to 10%): Burning, stinging, pain/swelling at application site, dryness, itching, erythema
-Frequency not reported: Increased exudate, application site reactions[Ref]
-Common (1% to 10%): Taste perversion, headache
-Common (1% to 10%): Headache
-Frequency not reported: Dizziness[Ref]
-Common (1% to 10%): Conjunctivitis
-Common (1% to 10%): Burning/stinging
-Frequency not reported: Ear pain
-Common (1% to 10%): Burning/stinging/pain
-Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Systemic reactions (not otherwise specified)
-Frequency not reported: Tenderness, swelling, increased exudate[Ref]
-Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Nasal mucosa reactions
-Frequency not reported: Epistaxis[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- Can I use mupirocin ointment for diaper rash?
- Can mupirocin heal or help with eczema?
- Can mupirocin be used for athletes foot?
- Can mupirocin cream be used for bed sores?
More about Pirnuo (mupirocin topical)
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Bactroban (mupirocin topical)." Apothecon Inc (2022):
2. "Product Information. Bactroban Nasal (mupirocin topical)." SmithKline Beecham (2001):
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
4. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.