Desloratadine Side Effects
More frequently reported side effects include: fatigue, pharyngitis, and nausea. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to desloratadine: oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet disintegrating
Along with its needed effects, desloratadine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking desloratadine:
- Anaphylaxis, such as, cough, difficulty swallowing, dizziness, fast heartbeat, hives, itching, puffiness or swelling of eyelids or around the eyes or face or lips or tongue, shortness of breath, skin rash, tightness in chest, unusual tiredness or weakness, wheezing
- dyspnea, such as, shortness of breath, difficult or labored breathing, tightness in chest, wheezing
- edema, such as, swelling
- pruritus, such as, itching skin
- tachycardia, such as, fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
- urticaria, such as, hives or welts, itching, redness of skin, skin rash.
Some side effects of desloratadine may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- dry mouth
- dysmenorrhea, such as, difficult or painful menstruation
- dyspepsia, such as, acid or sour stomach, belching, heartburn, indigestion, stomach discomfort , upset or pain,
- fatigue, such as, unusual tiredness or weakness
- myalgia, such as, joint pain, swollen joints, muscle aching or cramping, muscle pains or stiffness, difficulty in moving
- pharyngitis, such as, body aches or pain, congestion, cough, dryness or soreness of throat, fever, hoarseness, runny nose, tender swollen glands in neck, trouble in swallowing, voice changes.
- somnolence, such as, sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to desloratadine: oral solution, oral tablet, oral tablet disintegrating
Hypersensitivity side effects of spontaneous nature reported during the marketing of desloratadine have included rash, pruritus, urticaria, edema, dyspnea, and anaphylaxis.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects have included dry mouth, dry throat, nausea, and pharyngitis.[Ref]
An increase in the incidence of somnolence has been reported in clinical trials (n=1838) at doses of 10 mg/day and 20 mg/day (5.2% and 7.6%, respectively), compared to placebo (2.3%).[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Clarinex (desloratadine)." Schering Corporation, Kenilworth, NJ.
2. Layton D, Wilton L, Boshier A, Cornelius V, Harris S, Shakir SA "Comparison of the risk of drowsiness and sedation between levocetirizine and desloratadine: a prescription-event monitoring study in England." Drug Saf 29 (2006): 897-909
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about desloratadine
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 17 Reviews
- Drug class: antihistamines
- Desloratadine Orally Disintegrating Tablets
- Desloratadine Syrup
- Desloratadine Tablets
- Desloratadine (Advanced Reading)