Generic name: Desloratadine Syrup (des lor AT a deen)
Brand name: Clarinex
Drug class: Antihistamines
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 6, 2021.
Uses of Desloratadine Syrup:
- It is used to ease allergy signs.
- It is used to treat hives.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Desloratadine Syrup?
- If you have an allergy to desloratadine, loratadine, or any other part of desloratadine syrup.
- If you are allergic to desloratadine syrup; any part of desloratadine syrup; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take desloratadine syrup with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Desloratadine Syrup?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take desloratadine syrup. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- Do not take desloratadine syrup for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how desloratadine syrup affects you.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking desloratadine syrup.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- This medicine may affect allergy skin tests. Be sure your doctor and lab workers know you take desloratadine syrup.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using desloratadine syrup while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Desloratadine Syrup) best taken?
Use desloratadine syrup as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with desloratadine syrup. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure desloratadine syrup.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take desloratadine syrup on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times desloratadine syrup is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Shortness of breath.
- Feeling irritable.
What are some other side effects of Desloratadine Syrup?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Desloratadine Syrup?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about desloratadine syrup, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about desloratadine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 28 Reviews
- Drug class: antihistamines
- Drug Information
- Desloratadine (Advanced Reading)
- Desloratadine Orally Disintegrating Tablets
- Desloratadine Tablets
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.