Chlorhexidine topical Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to chlorhexidine topical: topical application cream, topical application dressing, topical application gel/jelly, topical application liquid, topical application lotion, topical application pad, topical application solution, topical application sponge
Other dosage forms:
Along with its needed effects, chlorhexidine topical may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking chlorhexidine topical:
Incidence not known
- Blistering, burning, itching, peeling, skin rash, redness, swelling, or other signs of irritation on the skin
- swelling of the face, hands, or feet
- trouble breathing
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to chlorhexidine topical: compounding liquid, mucous membrane insert, mucous membrane liquid, topical dressing, topical liquid, topical pad, topical soap, topical solution, topical sponge
Very common (10% or more): Toothache (up to 50.7%)
Common (1% to 10%): Dry mouth, glossodynia, oral paresthesia, dyspepsia, ulcerative stomatitis, gum hyperplasia
Frequency not reported: Mouth irritation, coated tongue, desquamation/superficial desquamation/oral mucosa swelling, parotid gland swelling, burning sensation of the tongue, increased dental calculus formation, aphthous ulcer, gingivitis/grossly obvious gingivitis, geographic tongue, tooth disorder, dental/gingival/mouth pain, broken/cracked/fractured teeth, mobile teeth, lost bridges/crowns/fillings, discoloration of the teeth, gums, and dorsum of the tongue
Postmarketing reports: Stomatitis, glossitis, ulcer, glossal edema, sialadenitis/inflammation of the salivary glands[Ref]
Toothache occurred most often in patients receiving the periodontal chip, and included dental/gingival/mouth pain, tenderness, aching, throbbing, soreness, discomfort, or sensitivity.
Tooth disorder occurred most often in patients receiving the periodontal chip, and included broken/cracked/fractured teeth, mobile teeth, and lost bridges/crowns/fillings.[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Upper respiratory tract infection (up to 28.4%), sinusitis (up to 13.8%)
Common (1% to 10%): Bronchitis, pharyngitis
Frequency not reported: Bronchospasm, rhinitis, coughing, dyspnea[Ref]
Bronchospasm occurred with hypersensitivity reactions.
Upper respiratory tract infection and sinusitis have occurred most commonly in patients receiving the periodontal chip.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Ulceration, desquamation, keratinization, mucocele, short frenum, pain, tenderness, aching, throbbing, soreness, discomfort, sensitivity
Postmarketing reports: Minor irritation[Ref]
Rash, erythema, and urticaria occurred with hypersensitivity reactions.
Dermatitis, pruritus, erythema, eczema, rash, urticaria, skin irritation, and blisters occurred with allergic skin reactions.[Ref]
Cardiac arrest, circulatory collapse, hypotension, and tachycardia occurred as hypersensitivity reactions.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Irreversible corneal damage, irritation to the conjunctiva[Ref]
Exposure of the eye to chlorhexidine cleanser, generally during preparation for facial surgery, has resulted in eye pain, edema of the epithelium, keratitis, inflammation of the conjunctiva, corneal epithelial cell loss, chronic corneal ulcers, and opacification. Corneal transplantation to correct permanent damage has been required in some patients.
Allergic conjunctivitis is rarely associated with the use of contact lens solutions which contain low concentrations of chlorhexidine as a preservative.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Dysmenorrhea, hematuria[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Allergy[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Chlorhexidine Gluconate (chlorhexidine topical)." A-S Medication Solutions, Chicago, IL.
2. "Product Information. Peridex (chlorhexidine)." Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Cincinnati, OH.
3. "Product Information. Biopatch (chlorhexidine topical)." Johnson and Johnson Medical Inc, Arlington, TX.
4. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
5. "Product Information. Hibiclens (chlorhexidine topical)." Astra-Zeneca Pharmaceuticals, Wilmington, DE.
6. "Product Information. Periochip (chlorhexidine topical)." Astra USA, Westborough, MA.
7. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about chlorhexidine topical
- Chlorhexidine topical Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 27 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antiseptic and germicides
- Chlorhexidine gluconate oral rinse
- Chlorhexidine topical
- Chlorhexidine Gluconate (Oral)
- Chlorhexidine Gluconate (Topical)
- Chlorhexidine (Advanced Reading)
- ... +2 more