User Reviews for Chlorhexidine topical

Also known as: Peridex, Hibiclens, Betasept, Paroex, Periogard, Tegaderm CHG Dressing, ChloraPrep One-Step, Dyna-Hex, Bactoshield, Scrub Care Exidine, Calgon Vesta, Chlorostat, Chlorostat 4, Hibistat, Hibistat Towelette, Spectrum-4, PerioChip, Acclean, Biopatch, Sky Oral Rinse, Denti-Rinse, Exidine Scrub Care …show all brand names

Chlorhexidine topical has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 52 ratings on Drugs.com. 48% of those users who reviewed Chlorhexidine topical reported a positive effect, while 35% reported a negative effect.

Mucositis   7.8
Gingivitis   6.6
Periodontitis   5.6
Skin Disinfection, Preoperative   4.7
Summary of Chlorhexidine topical reviews 6.0 52 reviews

Reviews for Chlorhexidine topical

Hoppimike · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 6, 2021

For Gingivitis: “I just had the beginnings of gum disease I think. Weird taste and the dentist said it looked very early-stage. It's fine now though. Chlorhexidine is great but what also works great is tea tree oil in alcohol mouthwash. Take care all :)”

Bubbles February 21, 2021

For Gingivitis: “Terrible experience. I got mouth ulcers, even creating such an issue into my ears. I was placed on amoxicillin the first time I went. For they thought it was an ear ache. The next morning it hurt, so I looked in my mouth....it was a pus and white ulcer. I ended up at the emergency room because of the pain. I was given lidocaine. Then prescribed a lidocaine mouthwash w a benadryl and mylanta base. This is crazy stuff. Next day found out it gets rust off of metal real good.”

Patsy February 16, 2021

Peridex (chlorhexidine) for Mucositis: “I had my teeth pulled and dentures put in right away in December. They are taking their time healing and hurt. Peridex helped me tremendously. My dentist prescribed it. I still have a little an I'm going to call them and get some more prescribed. I tell everyone Peridex and Benzodent are my best friends right now. Lol”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 9, 2020

Hibiclens (chlorhexidine) for Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: “I have been using Hibiclens for over a year for a skin condition & I find that it can cause skin irritations (rash, itchiness, dry skin, peeling or blistering of skin.”

Ma Tess · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2020

For Gingivitis: “I had a gum infection and later a molar extraction. The dentist gave me Perio -Aid mouthwash to rinse after brushing for 2 weeks. Just noticed my teeth are browning, not a few but all my teeth. I am not happy.”

Cj · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2020

For Gingivitis: “I was told to use this 4 times a day for 2-3 weeks after getting 2 wisdom teeth removed. My tongue feels like it’s been rubbed by sandpaper, my gums hurt now, and there is strong awful taste on the back of my tongue. I hate this stuff”

Mike · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2020

For Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: “I was given this product by my cardiologist after my surgery to aid in my recovery. The surgical incisions healed and my skin cleared up nicely. This product appears to have functioned nicely with no side effects. The area around the wound had a number of warts and skin tags that completely disappeared during the use of the product. A nice side effect that accompanied its use.”

Lizzylady · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2020

For Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: “chlorhexidine was used on my arm and shoulder for surgery prep. I assume it was effective for disinfecting but it was awful what it did to my skin. Within hours to days after my skin developed a rash with tiny red bumps and became very warm to the touch. It got worse over time even though I washed it. After a week of oral steroid treatments the rash is finally subsiding. Allergic reaction?”

Nada · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2020

Periogard (chlorhexidine) for Gingivitis: “If you have a ton of this left over after you are told to discontinue use- works great on athletes foot. Not even kidding. Pour a bit on the affected area before showering and rinse off. Gone in a day.”

Lp · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2020

For Periodontitis: “Unfortunately I am having the worst side effects with this rinse. Trouble breathing is the big one. Needless to say, I will not be continuing with this product ”

Jda · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2020

Tegaderm CHG Dressing (chlorhexidine) for Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: “Applied Tegaderm dressing to a scraped knee 24 hours after injury. Wound was clean, dry and beginning to heal. There was no open would or oozing. As I applied the dressing, it began to sting. We thought it was from pressure. Within 10 min the area was becoming reddened and burning so we removed the dressing and washed area with water and replaced with normal Non stick gauze That did not irritate.”

Lizzylou · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 6, 2020

Hibiclens (chlorhexidine) for Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: “I used to work for a Dermatologists, and he would always use Hibiclens if our patients were allergic to Iodine for minor surgeries. Love the stuff.”

Ophelia · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2019

Periogard (chlorhexidine) for Gingivitis: “Unfortunately after three uses I realized I wasn’t tasting my dinner. I am not willing to give up my sense of taste and will seek an alternative solution.”

Floss · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2019

For Mucositis: “All these mouthwashes give me painful mouth ulcers”

fossiljen · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2019

For Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: “First off, was given the wrong instructions on using it, was told to use it instead of warm salt water, so for 4 days I swished it 4 to 6 times a day. My tongue had a thick, pink granular coating that even a brush wouldn't remove and yesterday, I woke up to find that half of my lower lip has become an oozing blister/ulcer. Lip is twice it's normal size and makes drinking VERY messy and since the surgeon turned the entire inside of my mouth into raw hamburger, I'm still on liquid only diet. Never again.”

Fitnschic June 10, 2019

For Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: “I used the Chlorhexidine wipes head to toe in preparation for a surgery. My skin was on fire. It caused the worst itching and burning I’ve ever felt in my life. I have a rash and feels like I have poison ivy all over my body. I will not be letting the hospital staff put this on me before surgery. There must be an alternative.”

SilverB33 · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2019

For Gingivitis: “My experience hasn't been so hot with this. Although it works as intended unfortunately I have a reaction to it, causing my mouth to get irritated and white spots to appear at the back. I'll most likely just shy away from this and stick the usual mouth washes that won't cause this.”

Jck · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2018

ChloraPrep One-Step (chlorhexidine) for Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: “After awakening from my surgery my mouth was so dry I could hardly speak. Water gave little relive. My mouth was dry, scratched with raw places with an awful coating that won't go away. I week after surgery it isn't much better. The surgery is painful enough. Why put patients through this added discomfort. I will refuse the use of this product next time. If the condition is permanent I will find legal counsel.”

TMC · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2018

For Gingivitis: “My dentist prescribed this oral rinse after I had to see him after my first seizure. I guess I was biting down so hard I actually had blood around my mouth. I used this product as I was told. Nothing great happened. I was on it for 2 weeks. About 5 months later I was brushing my teeth and glanced in the mirror. My teeth now were brown/black. No more pearly whites. Went back to dentist and he said it was from the oral rinse. I told him "I could just slap you'. So now I have to see the dental hygienist for extensive teeth cleaning. Also purchased a whitening pen, use of an electric toothbrush works wonders. It helps a great deal.”

wilmetta · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2018

For Gingivitis: “It has taken less than a week since brushing my teeth with it 3 times a day as prescribed by the dentist. In that time the major bleeding in my mouth that resulted in spitting red blood has become a barely visible pink. This is as a result of Canadian dentists blaming the victim and not taking you seriously. I had to go to Mexico to a military trained dentist to get a diagnosis and treatment.”

MissGale · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2018

Peridex (chlorhexidine) for Gingivitis: “All my teeth has to be pulled or surgically removed I did 6 teeth few weeks ago and 8 removed few days ago this rinse has been the best thing for my swollen gums, breath & and irritation. I recommend it 100%”

Ava November 2, 2018

For Periodontitis: “After using it only twice I've been unable to taste anything for the last 10 hours! Plus my tongue feels like its been sandpapered. Not worth it.”

wlp325 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 2, 2018

For Gingivitis: “I've had ever-deepening gum pockets for several years. My gums would hurt (rarely bleeding) when I flossed and used a waterpik. Nothing stopped the gum recession -- not professional cleaning every 3 months, not brushing/flossing 3 times daily -- nothing. My dentist and periodontist both recommended using Periogard, so I gave it a try. In about 2 weeks all gum pain completely stopped. I can now use a waterpik (on high), aim the water stream with impunity right into any of the deep gum pockets, and for the first time in years zero pain results. So far, no tooth staining and no change in how food tastes has occurred. My gums feel the best they've been in years. I wish I'd started using this medication at least a decade ago (assuming it existed).”

Kim · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2018

For Periodontitis: “I have spent $20000 restoring my teeth over the last 10 years. I recently had gum graft surgery and this product has stained all my teeth and all my veneers brown. I am so angry. I can’t believe this product is on the market and that dentists are even using it.”

Peaches · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 28, 2018

For Periodontitis: “I had wisdom teeth removed. I started rinsing about 12 hours later and it's day 3. My gums are healing fast. Also I have braces so it's soothing. I didn't like the after taste but to have healthy teeth, gums and bones. I'll stick with it. I can always pop a tic tac in or chew dental chewing gum.”