User Reviews for Chlorhexidine topical

Also known as: Acclean, Bactoshield, Betasept, Biopatch, Calgon Vesta, ChloraPrep One-Step, Chlorostat, Chlorostat 4, Denti-Rinse, Dyna-Hex, Exidine, Hibiclens, Hibistat, Hibistat Towelette, Paroex, Peridex, PerioChip, Periogard, Perisol, Scrub Care, Scrub Care Exidine, Spectrum-4, Tegaderm CHG Dressing …show all brand names

Mucositis

Skin Disinfection, Preoperative
5.2

Summary of Chlorhexidine reviews 6.9 34 reviews

Reviews for Chlorhexidine

For Gingivitis: "My dentist prescribed this oral rinse after I had to see him after my first seizure. I guess I was biting down so hard I actually had blood around my mouth. I used this product as I was told. Nothing great happened. I was on it for 2 weeks. About 5 months later I was brushing my teeth and glanced in the mirror. My teeth now were brown/black. No more pearly whites. Went back to dentist and he said it was from the oral rinse. I told him "I could just slap you'. So now I have to see the dental hygienist for extensive teeth cleaning. Also purchased a whitening pen, use of an electric toothbrush works wonders. It helps a great deal."

TMC (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2018

For Gingivitis: "It has taken less than a week since brushing my teeth with it 3 times a day as prescribed by the dentist. In that time the major bleeding in my mouth that resulted in spitting red blood has become a barely visible pink. This is as a result of Canadian dentists blaming the victim and not taking you seriously. I had to go to Mexico to a military trained dentist to get a diagnosis and treatment."

wilmetta (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2018

Peridex (chlorhexidine) for Gingivitis: "All my teeth has to be pulled or surgically removed I did 6 teeth few weeks ago and 8 removed few days ago this rinse has been the best thing for my swollen gums, breath & and irritation. I recommend it 100%"

MissGale (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2018

For Periodontitis: "After using it only twice I've been unable to taste anything for the last 10 hours! Plus my tongue feels like its been sandpapered. Not worth it."

Ava November 2, 2018

For Gingivitis: "I've had ever-deepening gum pockets for several years. My gums would hurt (rarely bleeding) when I flossed and used a waterpik. Nothing stopped the gum recession -- not professional cleaning every 3 months, not brushing/flossing 3 times daily -- nothing. My dentist and periodontist both recommended using Periogard, so I gave it a try. In about 2 weeks all gum pain completely stopped. I can now use a waterpik (on high), aim the water stream with impunity right into any of the deep gum pockets, and for the first time in years zero pain results. So far, no tooth staining and no change in how food tastes has occurred. My gums feel the best they've been in years. I wish I'd started using this medication at least a decade ago (assuming it existed)."

wlp325 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2018

For Periodontitis: "I have spent $20000 restoring my teeth over the last 10 years. I recently had gum graft surgery and this product has stained all my teeth and all my veneers brown. I am so angry. I can’t believe this product is on the market and that dentists are even using it."

Kim (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2018

For Periodontitis: "I had wisdom teeth removed. I started rinsing about 12 hours later and it's day 3. My gums are healing fast. Also I have braces so it's soothing. I didn't like the after taste but to have healthy teeth, gums and bones. I'll stick with it. I can always pop a tic tac in or chew dental chewing gum."

Peaches (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 28, 2018

For Periodontitis: "Had my teeth and gums deep cleaned for $1000. Afterwards, I was told to use this oral rinse. My tongue turned brown and then my teeth started turning brown and were stained brown. Asked the dentist about the brown and she had no idea why. I would not ever use this again."

B March 26, 2018

For Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: "I was donating blood at a drive where I work, They swabbed my arm and the draw was a success. Was really light headed but went on with my work day. 24 hours later, specifically where they cleansed, I had a burning, itching, welted rash. Tried Benadryl, Cortizone cream, and ended up at urgent care. Dr. wanted to start me on steroids but then prescribed a topical cream- triamcinolone acetonide cream . In a few days it stopped itching and the burn subsided, but my skin was really dry. I stopped applying the cream and started using vitamin E oil."

B Lee (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2018

For Gingivitis: "My dentist just prescribed me Peridex for gingivitis - 2x / daily for 2 weeks. I noticed a positive difference in my gums just after a couple of uses. Slight inflammation decreased and my gums became pinker and tighter. There is a negative side effect for me though: I constantly have a strong bitter taste on the back of my tongue which decreases or alters the taste of most foods. It's awful, so I'm looking forward to the end of the 2 week regimen. I just hope I don't get any staining on my teeth that some people complain about (but it is able to be cleaned off)"

grininbearit (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2018

Bactoshield (chlorhexidine) for Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: "Severe hives over all part of body treated, lasting three weeks after application with only one application."

Hives over all parts of body (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

Acclean (chlorhexidine) for Gingivitis: "After hygienist cleaned all four quadrants he stated that I must use a mouthwash RX grade called Acclean for 2 weeks after brushing my teeth to rinse and then spit out. I did as he requested and it stained my teeth brownish very badly especially the bottom half of the tooth closer to the gums. Tried everything to clean them to no avail. Went back to the hygienist he did a cleaning but stains still remain in the back teeth especially and some of the teeth have spotting. The top portion of each tooth seems to have turned slightly transparent as compared to the bottom half of the tooth which is darker and not transparent. NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!!!"

DETRIMENTAL TO YOUR TEETH (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2017

For Periodontitis: "Skin rash!!!! Omg! Apparently I'm one of the rare people that is allergic and I couldn't figure out why my face felt as though I've been standing in front of a 500 degree oven!!! Plus the tarter build up on my teeth! I just paid $300.00 cash to have my teeth deep cleaned and now I have all this extra tarter build-up. Wow I am not a happy camper this stuff sucks"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Peridex (chlorhexidine) for Periodontitis: "Chlorhexidine gluconate 0.12% oral rinse should also be dispensed in half pint bottles as a pint bottle is way too much for patients to use after many dental surgeries. After having dental surgery above an implant of tooth #30 due to an infection & deep pockets, I was instructed to apply 1/2 once twice a day for two weeks to the surgical site with dental sponges provided by my dentist. Following the directions I used 14 ounces out of 32 ounces leaving 28 ounces that I cannot use. Dispensing more than a half pint was: ~ wasteful, ~ costs twice as what is needed, ~ & using or disposing of what is left Is harmful to myself & our environment Dispensing 2x of what is needed is irresponsible & adds to our countries ever rising medical costs"

Good Gosh June 25, 2017

For Gingivitis: "I used the after getting grafts on my front lower gums from the roof of my mouth."

FrankS4 April 8, 2017

For Gingivitis: "Dentist lasered my gum line to get impressions for a bridge I do not know why the dentist thought lazering my gum would make a better impression but I was left with raw irritated and inflamed gums. This product gave me instant relief."

Lay123la (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2016

For Periodontitis: "I had a tooth pulled that broke down and abcessed and needed to be pulled. My gum around it after extraction and antibiotics was still bothering me week and a half later all the way down to my neck. I decided to use this mouth rince twice a day. My neck doesn't hurt anymore or the gum around the extraction site. I truly am surprised how much better I feel and highly recommend this product."

Julie7402 (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

For Gingivitis: "from last few months I have suffered from serious mouth problems like, problem in tongue raising, problem in right corner of tongue ,throat problem, gum and teeth problem, white and red patches in mouth, thick white film on tongue, sore throat, hard to chew and swallow, jaw locked etc.. Today, my friend give me this chlorhexadine (sorry for my poor English)__in only one time use it gives me magical relief, before it, I used several medicines like Colgate plex, betadine gargle, coconut oil etc. but,after 5 minutes of use,my white film on tongue starts melting, now I raise my tongue 50% more (feeling happy) Thank You.."

harshalvani (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2016

For Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: "I have been suffering from Chronic Skin infections body wide. eczema like rash on arms, Yeast/Heat type rashes in skin folds. All resistant to normal and even aggressive treatment. Using Hibiclens on the areas as directed daily has lead to the rapid clearing and healing of all skin infections. It worked better than even Anhydrous pure lanolin. Using hibiclens has drastically improved my quality of life."

msworldnv (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

Bactoshield (chlorhexidine) for Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: "I also had constant reoccurring rashes and itching related to my obesity. I tried a lot of different ointments, creams and prescription antibiotic powders like NyStop. The problems seemed to never go away. I had knee replacement scheduled and knew I'd be in the hospital for several days and wondered how I'd deal with the itching, while in the hospital. As part of the hospitals MRSA control program, I was required to shower the morning before the surgery with BactoShield 2% Shampoo. I didn't have any problems for 4 days while in the hospital. After returning home, a couple of days later, the rashes and itching reappeared. I used my other prior remedies to no avail. Then I got thinking of how I went so long I the hospital without problems. I still had about an ounce of BactoShield left and when showering, begin to use it applying it only to problem areas, especially under my apron And in the groin area, but only after the rash redeveloped. The time between episodes went from being daily or every other day, to a week. I soon used up the ounce of 2% that I had left and found another small bottle available,e for sale on Amazon. I reordered and seemed to be able to keep the reocurrences about a week apart. After using up the small amount of BactoShield 2% up, I found an 8 oz bottle of 4%. After using it weekly for about 2-3 weeks, I found that my problem seemed to go away. I still apply it to the affected areas about every two weeks or so as a preventative or after particularly high sweat days where I can't shower till late In the evening. It's worked wonders for me and a little lasts a long way now. I'm attributing my initial rash problem to a bacterial concentration that could t be "killed" off by the other remedies and prescriptions. The BactoShield appears to have been able to kill of the bacteria that just seemed to reculture itself when using the other remedies."

Kbrack2 June 7, 2015

For Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: "After a blood transfusion I developed an allergy to this medicine. Moments after it is used as a topical disinfectant I experience a severe burning sensation much like frozen dripping acid on my skin. SEVERE pain."

Fungrammy November 14, 2014

For Mucositis: "Every time I bite my cheeks -- which happens fairly often as I am a clumsy chewer -- the injury turns into a painful ulcer lasting a week. I would typically spend about half of my month with them. Aggressive rinsing with other forms of mouthwash could sometimes help a bit. Chlorhexidine gluconate is extremely effective at preventing and healing these ulcers. I can simply use one dose after an injury and never have a problem. If I ignore one long enough to form a small ulcer, two doses a day apart will immediately reverse its course toward healing. Now I never have to live with that mouth pain. I have experienced no side effects."

Aaron Ritter (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2014

For Gingivitis: "I had gingivitis it did cure it. I noticed every time I rinsed my mouth with Chlorhexidine my eyes would turn red. It also raised my blood pressure from 140/90 right arm and 130/85 left arm, to 190/96 on the right arm and 173/110 on the left arm. This happened not to long after I rinsed with it. It took 2 days for my pressure to go back to normal. Caution for people with hypertension."

Diana 5000 August 7, 2014

For Gingivitis: "I have had bad breath for 3 years now. I've tried mouth washes and brushing 4 or more times a day. I've been using this product for 2 days and my breath is smelling better."

cureing my bad breath... (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2014

For Periodontitis: "I tried the oral rinse chlorhexidine because I was going in for a first appointment with my (now) periodontist. I wanted to look healthy, and not have as many problems with aging, since I'm getting up to retirement age. The rinse made me feel like I was doing something good for myself. I didn't see any results at first but after several treatments my gums and tongue turned pinker and a cracked tooth that was causing pain fell out on its own."

Stac1 June 1, 2014