User Reviews for Chlorhexidine topical to treat Skin Disinfection, Preoperative

Also known as: Peridex, Hibiclens, Tegaderm CHG Dressing, Paroex, Hibistat, Bactoshield, Periogard, Chlorostat, Spectrum-4, ChloraPrep One-Step, Acclean, Betasept, Biopatch, Scrub Care Exidine, Calgon Vesta, Chlorostat 4, Dyna-Hex, Hibistat Towelette, PerioChip, Sky Oral Rinse, Denti-Rinse, Exidine Scrub Care …show all brand names

Chlorhexidine topical has an average rating of 4.4 out of 10 from a total of 14 ratings for the treatment of Skin Disinfection, Preoperative. 36% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 50% reported a negative effect.

Chlorhexidine topical Rating Summary

4.4/10 average rating

Compare all 9 medications used in the treatment of Skin Disinfection, Preoperative.

Reviews for Chlorhexidine topical

Fitnschic June 10, 2019

“I used the Chlorhexidine wipes head to toe in preparation for a surgery. My skin was on fire. It caused the worst itching and burning I’ve ever felt in my life. I have a rash and feels like I have poison ivy all over my body. I will not be letting the hospital staff put this on me before surgery. There must be an alternative.”

fossiljen · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2019

“First off, was given the wrong instructions on using it, was told to use it instead of warm salt water, so for 4 days I swished it 4 to 6 times a day. My tongue had a thick, pink granular coating that even a brush wouldn't remove and yesterday, I woke up to find that half of my lower lip has become an oozing blister/ulcer. Lip is twice it's normal size and makes drinking VERY messy and since the surgeon turned the entire inside of my mouth into raw hamburger, I'm still on liquid only diet. Never again.”

Jck · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2018

ChloraPrep One-Step (chlorhexidine): “After awakening from my surgery my mouth was so dry I could hardly speak. Water gave little relive. My mouth was dry, scratched with raw places with an awful coating that won't go away. I week after surgery it isn't much better. The surgery is painful enough. Why put patients through this added discomfort. I will refuse the use of this product next time. If the condition is permanent I will find legal counsel.”

Mrszilch2 · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2014

“As part of my pre-op, I was instructed to use from neck to toes, avoiding mucous membranes & genital area. Three hours later my nose began to really itch. Have seasonal allergies so didn't think too much about it. Through pre- op the itching got worse. When I came out of surgery itching was much worse & upper lip swollen. By the time I got home, itching, swelling worse and everywhere I had used the chlorhexidine wash was red and felt like I had a bad sunburn. Took Benadryl which reduced symptoms. Had to take it for 3 days to stop symptoms from coming back. ”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2012

“By the evening of the neck lymph node biopsy, my neck was red and itchy. By the next morning I had huge welts/hives across the area that had been swabbed. I went back to the hospital to be checked and the nurses confirmed it was a reaction to the chloroprep (after checking in file for medicines used). I now have it listed as an allergy.”

msworldnv · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2015

“I have been suffering from Chronic Skin infections body wide. eczema like rash on arms, Yeast/Heat type rashes in skin folds. All resistant to normal and even aggressive treatment. Using Hibiclens on the areas as directed daily has lead to the rapid clearing and healing of all skin infections. It worked better than even Anhydrous pure lanolin. Using hibiclens has drastically improved my quality of life.”

Kbrack2 June 7, 2015

Bactoshield (chlorhexidine): “I also had constant reoccurring rashes and itching related to my obesity. I tried a lot of different ointments, creams and prescription antibiotic powders like NyStop. The problems seemed to never go away. I had knee replacement scheduled and knew I'd be in the hospital for several days and wondered how I'd deal with the itching, while in the hospital. As part of the hospitals MRSA control program, I was required to shower the morning before the surgery with BactoShield 2% Shampoo. I didn't have any problems for 4 days while in the hospital. After returning home, a couple of days later, the rashes and itching reappeared. I used my other prior remedies to no avail. Then I got thinking of how I went so long I the hospital without problems. I still had about an ounce of BactoShield left and when showering, begin to use it applying it only to problem areas, especially under my apron And in the groin area, but only after the rash redeveloped. The time between episodes went from being daily or every other day, to a week. I soon used up the ounce of 2% that I had left and found another small bottle available,e for sale on Amazon. I reordered and seemed to be able to keep the reocurrences about a week apart. After using up the small amount of BactoShield 2% up, I found an 8 oz bottle of 4%. After using it weekly for about 2-3 weeks, I found that my problem seemed to go away. I still apply it to the affected areas about every two weeks or so as a preventative or after particularly high sweat days where I can't shower till late In the evening. It's worked wonders for me and a little lasts a long way now. I'm attributing my initial rash problem to a bacterial concentration that could t be "killed" off by the other remedies and prescriptions. The BactoShield appears to have been able to kill of the bacteria that just seemed to reculture itself when using the other remedies.”

Fungrammy November 14, 2014

“After a blood transfusion I developed an allergy to this medicine. Moments after it is used as a topical disinfectant I experience a severe burning sensation much like frozen dripping acid on my skin. SEVERE pain.”

B Lee · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2018

“I was donating blood at a drive where I work, They swabbed my arm and the draw was a success. Was really light headed but went on with my work day. 24 hours later, specifically where they cleansed, I had a burning, itching, welted rash. Tried Benadryl, Cortizone cream, and ended up at urgent care. Dr. wanted to start me on steroids but then prescribed a topical cream- triamcinolone acetonide cream . In a few days it stopped itching and the burn subsided, but my skin was really dry. I stopped applying the cream and started using vitamin E oil.”

Lizzylady · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2020

“chlorhexidine was used on my arm and shoulder for surgery prep. I assume it was effective for disinfecting but it was awful what it did to my skin. Within hours to days after my skin developed a rash with tiny red bumps and became very warm to the touch. It got worse over time even though I washed it. After a week of oral steroid treatments the rash is finally subsiding. Allergic reaction?”

Jda · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2020

Tegaderm CHG Dressing (chlorhexidine): “Applied Tegaderm dressing to a scraped knee 24 hours after injury. Wound was clean, dry and beginning to heal. There was no open would or oozing. As I applied the dressing, it began to sting. We thought it was from pressure. Within 10 min the area was becoming reddened and burning so we removed the dressing and washed area with water and replaced with normal Non stick gauze That did not irritate.”

Mike · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2020

“I was given this product by my cardiologist after my surgery to aid in my recovery. The surgical incisions healed and my skin cleared up nicely. This product appears to have functioned nicely with no side effects. The area around the wound had a number of warts and skin tags that completely disappeared during the use of the product. A nice side effect that accompanied its use.”

Lizzylou · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 6, 2020

Hibiclens (chlorhexidine): “I used to work for a Dermatologists, and he would always use Hibiclens if our patients were allergic to Iodine for minor surgeries. Love the stuff.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 9, 2020

Hibiclens (chlorhexidine): “I have been using Hibiclens for over a year for a skin condition & I find that it can cause skin irritations (rash, itchiness, dry skin, peeling or blistering of skin.”

Hives over all parts of body · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2018

Bactoshield (chlorhexidine): “Severe hives over all part of body treated, lasting three weeks after application with only one application.”

Pusa · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2021

Hibiclens (chlorhexidine): “Was recommended to use pre-operation. Tried it once and immediately reacted to it. Hard to breath and tight chest.”