User Reviews for Chlorhexidine topical to treat Skin Disinfection, Preoperative

Also known as: Betasept, Biopatch, Calgon Vesta, ChloraPrep One-Step, Dyna-Hex, Hibiclens, Hibistat Towelette, Scrub Care Exidine, Spectrum-4

Chlorhexidine Rating Summary

4.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Skin Disinfection, Preoperative.

Reviews for Chlorhexidine

ChloraPrep One-Step (chlorhexidine): "After awakening from my surgery my mouth was so dry I could hardly speak. Water gave little relive. My mouth was dry, scratched with raw places with an awful coating that won't go away. I week after surgery it isn't much better. The surgery is painful enough. Why put patients through this added discomfort. I will refuse the use of this product next time. If the condition is permanent I will find legal counsel."

Jck (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2018

"I was donating blood at a drive where I work, They swabbed my arm and the draw was a success. Was really light headed but went on with my work day. 24 hours later, specifically where they cleansed, I had a burning, itching, welted rash. Tried Benadryl, Cortizone cream, and ended up at urgent care. Dr. wanted to start me on steroids but then prescribed a topical cream- triamcinolone acetonide cream . In a few days it stopped itching and the burn subsided, but my skin was really dry. I stopped applying the cream and started using vitamin E oil."

B Lee (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2018

Bactoshield (chlorhexidine): "Severe hives over all part of body treated, lasting three weeks after application with only one application."

Hives over all parts of body (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

"I have been suffering from Chronic Skin infections body wide. eczema like rash on arms, Yeast/Heat type rashes in skin folds. All resistant to normal and even aggressive treatment. Using Hibiclens on the areas as directed daily has lead to the rapid clearing and healing of all skin infections. It worked better than even Anhydrous pure lanolin. Using hibiclens has drastically improved my quality of life."

msworldnv (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

Bactoshield (chlorhexidine): "I also had constant reoccurring rashes and itching related to my obesity. I tried a lot of different ointments, creams and prescription antibiotic powders like NyStop. The problems seemed to never go away. I had knee replacement scheduled and knew I'd be in the hospital for several days and wondered how I'd deal with the itching, while in the hospital. As part of the hospitals MRSA control program, I was required to shower the morning before the surgery with BactoShield 2% Shampoo. I didn't have any problems for 4 days while in the hospital. After returning home, a couple of days later, the rashes and itching reappeared. I used my other prior remedies to no avail. Then I got thinking of how I went so long I the hospital without problems. I still had about an ounce of BactoShield left and when showering, begin to use it applying it only to problem areas, especially under my apron And in the groin area, but only after the rash redeveloped. The time between episodes went from being daily or every other day, to a week. I soon used up the ounce of 2% that I had left and found another small bottle available,e for sale on Amazon. I reordered and seemed to be able to keep the reocurrences about a week apart. After using up the small amount of BactoShield 2% up, I found an 8 oz bottle of 4%. After using it weekly for about 2-3 weeks, I found that my problem seemed to go away. I still apply it to the affected areas about every two weeks or so as a preventative or after particularly high sweat days where I can't shower till late In the evening. It's worked wonders for me and a little lasts a long way now. I'm attributing my initial rash problem to a bacterial concentration that could t be "killed" off by the other remedies and prescriptions. The BactoShield appears to have been able to kill of the bacteria that just seemed to reculture itself when using the other remedies."

Kbrack2 June 7, 2015

"After a blood transfusion I developed an allergy to this medicine. Moments after it is used as a topical disinfectant I experience a severe burning sensation much like frozen dripping acid on my skin. SEVERE pain."

Fungrammy November 14, 2014

"As part of my pre-op, I was instructed to use from neck to toes, avoiding mucous membranes & genital area. Three hours later my nose began to really itch. Have seasonal allergies so didn't think too much about it. Through pre- op the itching got worse. When I came out of surgery itching was much worse & upper lip swollen. By the time I got home, itching, swelling worse and everywhere I had used the chlorhexidine wash was red and felt like I had a bad sunburn. Took Benadryl which reduced symptoms. Had to take it for 3 days to stop symptoms from coming back. "

Mrszilch2 (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2014

"By the evening of the neck lymph node biopsy, my neck was red and itchy. By the next morning I had huge welts/hives across the area that had been swabbed. I went back to the hospital to be checked and the nurses confirmed it was a reaction to the chloroprep (after checking in file for medicines used). I now have it listed as an allergy."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2012