Does prednisone cause a rapid heart rate?
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Bradycardia (slowed heart rate)
- Congestive heart failure
- Heart attack
- Cardiac enlargement
- Blood clotting and blood flow problems.
Prednisone may cause elevations of salt, water retention and blood pressure, which results in changes to cardiovascular and renal function. While the exact cause of steroid-induced arrhythmias or irregular heartbeats is not known, it may be due to sudden electrolyte shifts within the body that result in irregular heartbeats.
However, tachycardia is not one of the more common possible adverse effects of the drug. The most common adverse effects reported while taking prednisone were:
- Fluid retention
- Changes in blood glucose tolerance
- Increased blood pressure
- Behavioral and mood changes
- Increased appetite
- Weight gain
Side effects can best be minimized through patient monitoring and using lower potency dosages.
- van der Hooft CS, Heeringa J, Brusselle GG, et al. Corticosteroids and the risk of atrial fibrillation. Arch Intern Med. 2006 May 8;166(9):1016-20. doi: 10.1001/archinte.166.9.1016.
- American Heart Association (AHA). About arrhythmia. September 30, 2016. Available at: https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/arrhythmia/about-arrhythmia. [Accessed January 6, 2022].
- Taylor MR, Gaco D. Symptomatic sinus bradycardia after a treatment course of high-dose oral prednisone. J Emerg Med. 2013 Sep;45(3):e55-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2013.04.020.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Prescribing Information: Rayos (Prednisone). Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2012/202020s000lbl.pdf. [Accessed January 6, 2022].
- Puckett Y, Gabbar A, Bokhari AA. Prednisone. StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK534809/.
Related medical questions
- What is considered a high dose of prednisone?
- Is it OK to drink alcohol with Prednisone?
- How long can you take prednisone safely?
- Prednisone: What are 12 Things You Should Know?
- What's a good prednisone taper schedule?
- How long does it take for prednisone to work?
- Do I take all 6 prednisone pills at once on the first day?
- How long does prednisone stay in your system?
- Can antidepressants be used for arthritis pain?
- Why does prednisone cause weight gain?
- What are the side effects of steroids?
- Prednisone Information for Consumers
- Prednisone prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Prednisone (detailed)
Related support groups
- Prednisone (326 questions, 1,069 members)