Can you take Xanax if you are on prednisone?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 2, 2020.
Yes, Xanax and prednisone can be taken together. There is only a minor interaction between the two. Minor interactions do not usually cause harm OR require a change in therapy. Your health care provider will determine if adjustments to your medication are needed.
Certain corticosteroids may decrease the plasma concentration of some benzodiazepines. The mechanism is related to induction of hepatic cytochrome P450 enzymes responsible for benzodiazepine metabolism. The clinical significance may depend on the dosage and duration of corticosteroid therapy and be of greater importance with oral administration of benzodiazepines.
Related Medical Questions
- Valium vs Xanax: Which is better?
- How long does Xanax last for / stay in your system?
- Lorazepam vs Xanax: What is the difference?
- Klonopin vs Xanax - How are they different?
- Ativan vs Xanax - What is the difference?
- What does extended release (ER) mean?