Can you take Xanax if you are on prednisone?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 24, 2022.
Yes, Xanax and prednisone can be taken together. There is only a minor interaction between the two. Minor interactions do not usually cause harm OR require a change in therapy. Your health care provider will determine if adjustments to your medication are needed.
Certain corticosteroids may decrease the plasma concentration of some benzodiazepines. The mechanism is related to induction of hepatic cytochrome P450 enzymes responsible for benzodiazepine metabolism. The clinical significance may depend on the dosage and duration of corticosteroid therapy and be of greater importance with oral administration of benzodiazepines.
Related medical questions
- Valium vs Xanax: Which is better?
- Lorazepam vs Xanax: What is the difference?
- How long does Xanax last for / stay in your system?
- Klonopin vs Xanax - How are they different?
- How does Xanax make you feel?
- Is Xanax a narcotic (opioid) drug / controlled substance?
- Can I take Xanax while on Vivitrol?
- Ativan vs Xanax - What is the difference?
- What is Farmapram called in the US?
- What is Ksalol used for?
- What is the half-life of a drug?
Related support groups
- Xanax (569 questions, 3,293 members)
- Prednisone (320 questions, 1,056 members)