What is the difference between prednisone and prednisolone?
Medically reviewed by C. Fookes, BPharm Last updated on Aug 26, 2019.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
- In people with severe liver disease, prednisolone is usually preferred.
- Prednisone is known as a prodrug which is defined as a biologically inactive compound that is metabolized in the body to produce a drug. In this case, prednisone is metabolized by 11-β-HSD liver enzymes to prednisolone.
- Price-wise, prednisone is usually cheaper than prednisolone.
- Brand names for prednisone include Rayos, and for prednisolone, Millipred.
Both prednisone and prednisolone are man-made glucocorticoids. They are used to treat similar conditions and are generally considered equally effective. Other similarities include:
- Similar indications. For example, both prednisone and prednisolone may be used to treat allergies, arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, lung conditions, or skin problems
- The same side effects, including acne, stomach irritation, weight gain, insomnia, fluid retention, facial hair growth, mood changes, high blood pressure, and, if taken for long periods of time, bone loss, osteoporosis, skin thinning, and a withdrawal syndrome on discontinuation if not tapered slowly enough. Both prednisone and prednisolone may suppress growth and development in children
- Dosing schedules for prednisone and prednisolone are usually similar and range from 5mg to 60mg per day
- The same interactions. Common interactions include NSAIDs, anti-infectives (such as ciprofloxacin, some HIV medicines), immune suppressants, diuretics ("water” pills), and anticoagulants (blood thinners), and others
- If you are taking either prednisone or prednisolone long-term it is a good idea to wear a medical alert tag or carry a Steroid Card.
Related Medical Questions
- Can you take Xanax if you are on prednisone?
- Is sunburn a side effect of prednisone? Should I avoid being in the sun while taking prednisone?
- Are there any drug interactions between prednisone and Viagra?
- How long does it take prednisone to get out of your system?
- Prednisone - if my prescription says take 6 pills on the first day do I take all 6 at once?
- Is prednisone a steroid drug?
- How long does prednisone stay in the body after a course has been completed?
Related Support Groups
- Prednisone (480 questions, 944 members)
- Prednisolone (34 questions, 94 members)
- Asthma (157 questions, 423 members)
- Allergic Reactions (279 questions, 410 members)
- Multiple Sclerosis (64 questions, 506 members)
- Fibromyalgia (459 questions, 2689 members)
- Inflammatory Conditions (78 questions, 120 members)
- Skin Rash (214 questions, 420 members)
- Allergic Rhinitis (45 questions, 82 members)
- Eczema (32 questions, 114 members)
- Polymyalgia Rheumatica (26 questions, 204 members)
- Dermatitis (24 questions, 53 members)
- Immunosuppression (12 questions, 43 members)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (13 questions, 51 members)
- Asthma - Acute (12 questions, 37 members)
- Crohn's Disease - Acute