User Reviews for Prednisolone

Also known as: Millipred PediaPred Orapred ODT Millipred DP

Prednisolone has an average rating of 6.3 out of 10 from a total of 40 ratings on Drugs.com. 40% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

Inflammatory Conditions
Bullous Pemphigoid
Summary of Prednisolone reviews 6.3 40 reviews

Reviews for Prednisolone

helicoptor January 5, 2013

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I have a long history of osteoarthritis, it frequently becomes inflamed causing a lot of pain, my Dr will only prescribe prednisone 3 times per year, apparently prednisone over time quickens and makes the arthritis worse! When I take it I could jump through hoops they are fantastic! Take 6 x 5mgs tablets per day for 5 days.”

MK · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2019

For Immunosuppression: “I took prednisone when I went to the doctor for flu like symptoms (body aches etc) and was put on it for 5 days -60 mg. I had had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic I was taking so thats also why I was on it. By day 5, I was starting to get very anxious and from there it just went downhill. I was crying every hour of the day for a week and a half after my last dose. I have anxiety normally but this was next level, I have never felt that way in my life. And it wasn't like a teary cry it was literally like someone had murdered my family member cry. I just don't think the anxiety is worth it. I can genuinely say I will never try this drug again. I'd rather die than take it and I'm not being dramatic. To this day, I'm still trying to get back on track.. If you have anxiety/depression, do not take this drug.”

Enny8 March 2, 2020

For Immunosuppression: “I have been taking prednisolone for 14 years now. As I was diagnosed with autoimmune liver disease at 14, I was on a high doses and had moon face and was completely yellow, through school years its not so nice. I had a liver transplant at the age of 18, and continued on a high dose for quite some time. I am now currently on 5 mgs a day and no moon face! But I have experienced every side effect on the list. It is horrible to take long term, but it's also saved my life. I am covered in bruises all the time, my bones are quite weak and have had falls resulting in fractures, the moods are up and down all the time, I have fluid in my feet and legs that do effect my day to day. Overall its not very nice, but pushing through all the side effects, it's good to still be alive at 27.”

hapster July 6, 2008

For Asthma, acute: “Due to my asthma, I have also lost my sense of smell and taste, Prednisolone treatment for 5 days(30mg/day) helps restore my smell & taste for upto 3 weeks.During this time I normally do not need to take my inhaler for the asthma”

sally44 September 18, 2019

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I have ankylosing spondylitis that started in my middle 20s, and have suffered chronic back pain most of my life, this disease was never pick up by doctors until I asked for blood test for this disease, which I had done in my early 50s. My spine is totally wrecked with disk's worn out, most disk's are bulged and have even slipped, been on so many pain killers but they do nothing but just take the edge of pain in mornings. I have been on this course of Prednisolone just over a year ago for about 2 weeks and it was very good for pain. Well I have just started another course as my pain is very bad, this medication is fantastic for the pain I'm in and I will keep taking them for longer than I have before. I take 5 pills ( 25 mg total ) in mornings and with no food, the only down fall I have with Prednisolones is they make me very sad, I can cry at anything? But that's all, much better to be sad than be in the pain I was going through, I'm now in my 70s”

Anonymous July 23, 2009

For Inflammatory Conditions: “Prescribed to help with rheumatoid arthritis symptoms. Takes some of the joint swelling down, but only after sleeping (i.e. not doing ANYTHING with my body). Doesn't help with pain management unless taken with an opiate analgesic. So far, only side effects experienced are moderate headache (especially if I don't eat), insomnia (only 4-5 hours sleep instead of 7-8) and excruciating shoulder pain about 5 hours after dose. Ironic, considering I'm trying to stop the joint pain. Still, much better.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2020

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I took prednisone as prescribed from my doctor as I had inflammation in my liver, I had been given 8 x 5 mg tablets a day. I took 8 tablets and my side effects were that I had blurred vision, my heart started racing at really fast pace so I ended up in A&E thought I was having a heart attack .These tablets are very strong. The doctor told me to take them 4 at a time now. I did but I nearly passed out for 4 hours after taking them. I have to go back to my doctor as I don't think I can take them but I do want to get well again.”

Anonymous June 13, 2008

Orapred (prednisolone) for Dermatitis: “My 4 year old was prescribed this for a rash covering his entire body. It was determined to be contact dermatitis (or an allergic reaction to something he had either eaten or touched). The medicine cleared up the rash in just a few days. ”

Domestic Goddess March 21, 2011

For Asthma, acute: “This medication is my magic bullet, my asthma has been under control for nearly five years after being introduced to prednisolone. It is fantastic. I only take it between 7-9 am as my Doctor informed me that it would affect the natural Cortisol production and possibly lead to problems sleeping. Love it.”

Anonymous July 25, 2011

For Dermatitis: “I have severe and I mean severe heat rash. This medicine clears it up every time within days. Would be suicidal by now otherwise. Noticed water retention/weight gain though but worth it for the few days a year I need to take it.”

Ziggy2000 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 7, 2016

For Inflammatory Conditions: “First time taking pred and was on 40mg for Ulcerative Colitis. Had the expected side effects: -Moonface -Weight gain -Swelling and joint pain -Bad headaches -Brain fog and confusion -Dizziness -Increased appetite -Irritability and mood swings Overall it did control my symptoms effectively for a while but I do believe the side effects from this medication are worse than the actual condition..”

Wombat · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 12, 2018

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I had suspected Temporal Arteritis, had biopsy, came back negative but as a precaution was prescribed 60mgs per day for 1 month then decrease to 50mg, 40mg,30mg and so on right down to 1mg per day over 1 year. Am now on 5 weeks and decreasing myself weekly. Can I do this safely and on what regime. the side effects are horrendous and outweigh the 'cure' and it is not sure that I have the problem anyway. ”

Robertoz222222 · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2017

For Asthma, acute: “I suffered severe side effects & seemingly withdrawal symptoms after only 9 days of use for pneumonia. Main symptoms experienced: Hypertension Headache Nausea Abdominal discomfort Rapid pounding heartbeat/pulse Lethargy Mental confusion - trouble thinking, foggy brain Bad taste in mouth General feeling of unwell - felt like I was being poisoned. Day 1: 2x 25mg Day 2-5: 1x25mg Day 6-9: 1/2 25mg”

Jeni May 4, 2020

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I was put on prednisolone for an inner ear problem caused by a hormonal imbalance. I'm very sensitive to medication and I knew this when taking the full dose prescribed. I took 20 mg's 3 times the first day and found that I could not sleep that night and had anxiety and a headache. I dropped down to 40 mg's at 8 am and 12 pm the next day and slept very good. No anxiety and no headache. I do take the pills with food. It has greatly decreased the inflammation I felt in the back of my head near my ear. I'm feeling better. Although, I'm on an antibiotic too. I was scared to take this after reading many poor reviews but, I'm so glad I did. I suffered for a long time before knowing it was my ear causing the problem and I'm so glad I was prescribed this medication. I'm only taking them for 5 days though.”

Anonymous January 29, 2012

For Inflammatory Conditions: “Broncholitis: I gave to my 8 month old prescribed by his Pediatrician for wheezing cough. It did help but he WILL NOT sleep when he takes it. So I only gave to him in the morning and for only a few days. I'd say it's worth it.”

TDEvans21 March 26, 2017

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I have had a very stubborn sinus infection that just won't clear (6 months +). The doctor prescribed 7 days - 30mg of Prednisolone. The first three days I felt great. A lot of energy, clearer breathing, better sleep however after then it went downhill fast. My anxiety and panic sky rocketed after a year of being fine. I was shaking, weak legged, dizzy constantly, my heart rate was through the roof (felt like I had drunk 10 coffee's). I had worst sinus pressure and headaches as well. About day 5 it made my sinus problems worse as well, congestion, mucus production was in overdrive! Three days off them now and still haven't not calmed down. Back to the GP we go :(”

William Tan September 29, 2009

For Dermatitis: “To me prednisolone is a wonderful drug. It helps me to solve several of my illnesses. First, it strangely resolves my finger dermatitis problem on my hands. Before my skin got cracked and bloody, I would feel my fingers have rashes that were swollen, painful and itchy at the same time. I took prednisolone tablets regularly for about six months, starting with 3 X 5mg daily down to 3mg daily. Then after that just take 3 to 4 mg as and when needed now. It has stopped 99% of the problem.”

DM08 · Taken for less than 1 month July 5, 2015

For Inflammatory Conditions: “ENT prescribed me 1 x 25mg daily for 10 days to treat tinnitus, in case it was caused by a blocked Eustachian tube. I had a very bad reaction to steroid. I suffered from severe insomnia, depression and anxiety. Psychologically, it caused me a lot of pain. I started tapering off the Prednisolone after 7 days. My ENT advised to just stop and not taper which concerned me as I was told to definitely taper so I tapered on my own by going down from 25mg -> 12.5mg -> 6.25mg. I still suffered from the same psychological issues for 10 days afterwards. Eventually my GP prescribed me Valium. After taking 1 x 10mg valium, I found I returned to a normal psychological state (no anxiety, no depression and sleeping fine). Tinnitus was not helped.”

Joy · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2020

For Asthma, acute: “I take prednisolone for acute asthma. Usually a few times a year 40 mg for 5 days. It works the best for me and it works quickly. I got hot flashes the first night and some irritability for a day or two after my last dose. So worth it for me. I wish I could take it long term.”

Nene · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2020

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis on the skin have really bad skin lumps and rashes just started taking prednisone it seems to be working. The lumps seems to be going down although my appetite has increased a lot and I have gained a few pounds while taking the medications”

Mom of Evan March 17, 2008

Orapred (prednisolone): “My toddler son uses this to help with his asthama symptoms. This helps, but is not a right away medicine to use. If it a emergency he has to use a inhaler for the quick fix. This medicine takes about 20-min to hour to work.”

Anonymous September 25, 2017

For Dermatitis: “Had itching, redness and rashes between fingers which was named as contact dermatitis from dish wash liquids. The Dr gave me isolone for 7 days. Even within the first 2 days itching disappeared and rashes faded. Very affective.”

Dee Dee · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2019

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I was prescribed this medication for a tooth that needed a root canal. My dentist was unable to finish my initial visit because even after 12 shots of Novocaine, I could still feel it when he hit that nerve. So he prescribed this. I took the first 6 tablets in 2 doses since I received it late in the day. Day 2 was great! I had no tooth pain, and I felt 15 years younger! No knee pain, neck pain, or back pain either. I did notice a couple of incidents of heart palpitations that evening, but I sometimes get those anyway, so I wasn't too concerned. I did notice that I was extremely thirsty while on this medication. By day three I noticed my tooth throbbing an hour or so before I was due for the next dose, but I toughed it out. Day four was the same but since the doses were further apart, it was hard to ignore the pain. By day 5 I was supplementing with Advil every 6 hours. Day 6 I had a little vertigo, but not too terrible.”

Anonymous May 17, 2010

For Inflammatory Conditions: “Took Millipred for 2 months for an inflammed liver. The pills have a nasty after taste unlike the liquid form. Caused me to wake up several times per night. Not sure if that contributed to my irritability. It also caused dizziness. You should be careful if taking it with sleep aids.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more September 17, 2019

For Nephrotic Syndrome: “It helps with the uncomfortable symptoms of inflammation, increases appetite, and gives more spontanity. The bad side to this medicine is that it somehow alters hormones, not only cortisol, but also sex hormones. If you are a child on this medicine, then you might experience altered development and life long changes to your hormonal algorithms.”