What is the difference between HIV treatments Odefsey and Complera?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 8, 2019.
Odefsey and Complera are both three-drug antiviral combinations containing emtricitabine, rilpivirine and tenofovir for the treatment of HIV-1 infection. The difference between Odefsey and Complera is in the form of tenofovir contained in each product. Odefsey contains a newer form of tenofovir called tenofovir alafenamide (TAF) and Complera contains the original form of tenofovir as tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF).
Tenofovir alafenamide is a prodrug of tenofovir and is inactive when it is first taken. After it enters the body, it is changed to its active form in the HIV-infected cell much more efficiently than TDF, which results in much lower levels of drug in the blood, but higher levels within the cells where HIV-1 replicates. Therefore, TAF can be given at roughly one-tenth the dose of TDF. Due to smaller doses and lower levels of tenofovir in the blood, kidney toxicity and decreased bone mineral density may be less of a concern with TAF, as noted by laboratory values in studies.
|FDA Approved||March 1, 2016||August 10, 2011|
Each tablet contains:
Each tablet contains:
Odefsey and Complera are both manufactured by Gilead Sciences Inc.
Related Medical Questions
- Truvada vs Descovy: How do they compare for HIV and PrEP?
- Genvoya vs Stribild for HIV - How do they compare?
- What is the difference between HIV treatments Symfi and Symfi Lo?
- How much does HIV treatment Cimduo cost?
- What drugs are contained in the HIV treatment Delstrigo?
- What drugs are contained in the HIV treatment Cimduo?
- What drugs are contained in the HIV treatment Symfi Lo?
Related Support Groups
- Tenofovir (8 questions, 14 members)
- Tenofovir Alafenamide (6 questions, 3 members)
- Emtricitabine (4 questions, 5 members)
- Rilpivirine (2 questions, 3 members)
- Odefsey (1 questions, 3 members)
- Emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir (1 questions, 3 members)
- Complera (1 questions, 19 members)
- Emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir Alafenamide (1 questions, 3 members)
- HIV Infection (42 questions, 227 members)