What if I miss a dose of Biktarvy?
If you miss one dose of Biktarvy (bictegravir, tenofovir, and emtricitabine), take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, just skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the regular time. Do not use two doses at one time to make up for a missed dose. Missing your dose of HIV medicine is not something you should do on a regular basis, and here's why.
- Missing your HIV medicine may put you at risk for drug resistance, which can reduce the effectiveness of your medicine.
- The amount of virus in your blood may increase if the medicine is stopped, even for a short period of time.
- The HIV virus can develop resistance to Biktarvy and become harder to treat.
The recommended dosage of Biktarvy is one tablet once daily with or without food. Biktarvy can be used in adults and children weighing at least 14 kg (31 lbs). Biktarvy is not a cure for HIV or AIDS.
There may be certain times when you might have to alter your dose schedule. For example:
- If you take antacids that contain aluminum or magnesium, you should take your Biktarvy at least 2 hours before or 6 hours after you take these antacids.
- If you take supplements or antacids that contain iron or calcium, take Biktarvy with food at the same time that you take these supplements or antacids.
What if I run out of Biktarvy?
Always get your Biktarvy prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely. Your pharmacy may be able to set up a special monthly refill reminder for you by call or text, or even ship it to you. It is very important that you do not miss any doses of Biktary.
If you regularly miss doses of your HIV medication, this will increase your risk for drug resistance. Talk with your pharmacist or doctor about ways to help you remember your daily dose. For example:
- you could use an app on your phone to set a daily reminder or alarm
- you can get into a routine of taking it at the same time each day (your daily dose at breakfast, dinner, or bedtime)
- you can use a pill box that may help you organize your medicines better.
What if I take too much Biktarvy?
If you take too much Biktarvy, contact your doctor or the poison control center (1-800-222-1222) immediately, call 911, or go to the nearest emergency room.
- If you miss one dose of Biktarvy (bictegravir, tenofovir, and emtricitabine), take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. If it is almost time for your next dose, just skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the regular time.
- Try not to miss doses. Taking your medicine as prescribed will help you to keep your HIV under control and help prevent drug resistance.
- If you have trouble remembering your daily dose, you can use an app to set a daily reminder, take it at the same time each day to get into a routine, or keep an organized pill box that might be helpful if you take several different medications in one day.
This is not all the information you need to know about Biktarvy for safe and effective use. Review the full Biktarvy product information here, and discuss this information with your health care provider.
- Biktarvy [package insert]. Foster City, CA. Gilead. June 2019 Accessed July 9, 2020 at https://www.gilead.com/~/media/files/pdfs/medicines/hiv/biktarvy/biktarvy_pi.pdf
Related medical questions
- Which medicines should not be taken with Biktarvy?
- Can Biktarvy be used for PrEP or PEP?
- Does Biktarvy cause weight gain?
- Who are the actors in the Biktarvy commercials?
- What is Biktarvy used for?
- Is Biktarvy an immunosuppressant?
- How fast or how long does it take Biktarvy to work?
- Can I drink alcohol while taking Biktarvy?
- Is Biktarvy covered by insurance?
- What is the difference between Biktarvy and Descovy?
- Can you crush Biktarvy tablets?
- Does Biktarvy cause hair loss?
- What is the generic name for Biktarvy?
- Does Biktarvy increase cholesterol?
- Does Biktarvy cause acne?