Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 26, 2021.
Generic name: BICTEGRAVIR SODIUM 50mg, EMTRICITABINE 200mg, TENOFOVIR ALAFENAMIDE FUMARATE 25mg
Dosage form: tablet
Testing When Initiating and During Treatment with BIKTARVY
Prior to or when initiating BIKTARVY, test patients for hepatitis B virus infection [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
Prior to or when initiating BIKTARVY, and during treatment with BIKTARVY, assess serum creatinine, estimated creatinine clearance, urine glucose and urine protein in all patients as clinically appropriate. In patients with chronic kidney disease, also assess serum phosphorus [see Warnings and Precautions (5.4)].
Recommended Dosage in Adults and Pediatric Patients Weighing at Least 25 kg
BIKTARVY is a three-drug fixed dose combination product containing bictegravir (BIC), emtricitabine (FTC), and tenofovir alafenamide (TAF). The recommended dosage of BIKTARVY is one tablet containing 50 mg of BIC, 200 mg of FTC, and 25 mg of TAF taken orally once daily with or without food in:
- adults and pediatric patients weighing at least 25 kg with an estimated creatinine clearance greater than or equal to 30 mL/min; or
- virologically-suppressed adults with an estimated creatinine clearance below 15 mL/min who are receiving chronic hemodialysis. On days of hemodialysis, administer the daily dose of BIKTARVY after completion of hemodialysis treatment [see Use in Specific Populations (8.4, 8.6) and Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)].
Recommended Dosage in Pediatric Patients Weighing at Least 14 kg to Less than 25 kg
The recommended dosage of BIKTARVY is one tablet containing 30 mg of BIC, 120 mg of FTC, and 15 mg of TAF taken orally once daily with or without food in:
- pediatric patients weighing at least 14 kg to less than 25 kg with an estimated creatinine clearance greater than or equal to 30 mL/min [see Use in Specific Populations (8.4, 8.6) and Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)].
For children unable to swallow a whole tablet, the tablet can be split and each part taken separately as long as all parts are ingested within approximately 10 minutes.
Not Recommended in Patients with Severe Renal Impairment
- severe renal impairment (estimated creatinine clearance of 15 to below 30 mL/min); or
- end stage renal disease (ESRD; estimated creatinine clearance below 15 mL/min who are not receiving chronic hemodialysis; or
- no antiretroviral treatment history and ESRD who are receiving chronic hemodialysis.
Frequently asked questions
- Which medicines should not be taken with Biktarvy?
- Can Biktarvy be used for PrEP or PEP?
- Does Biktarvy cause weight gain?
- What is Biktarvy used for?
- What if I miss a dose of Biktarvy?
- How fast or how long does it take Biktarvy to work?
- Can I drink alcohol while taking Biktarvy?
- Is Biktarvy covered by insurance?
- Can you crush Biktarvy tablets?
- What is the difference between Biktarvy and Descovy?
- Does Biktarvy cause hair loss?
- Does Biktarvy increase cholesterol?
- What is the generic name for Biktarvy?
- Does Biktarvy cause acne?
- Is Biktarvy a protease inhibitor?
More about Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide)
- Side effects
- Drug interactions
- During pregnancy
- Reviews (160)
- Patient tips
- Drug images
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- En español
- Drug class: antiviral combinations
- FDA approval history
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.