Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 17, 2021.
Generic name: BICTEGRAVIR SODIUM 50mg, EMTRICITABINE 200mg, TENOFOVIR ALAFENAMIDE FUMARATE 25mg
Dosage form: tablet
Testing When Initiating and During Treatment with BIKTARVY
Prior to or when initiating BIKTARVY, test patients for hepatitis B virus infection [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
Prior to or when initiating BIKTARVY, and during treatment with BIKTARVY, assess serum creatinine, estimated creatinine clearance, urine glucose and urine protein in all patients as clinically appropriate. In patients with chronic kidney disease, also assess serum phosphorus [see Warnings and Precautions (5.4)].
BIKTARVY is a three-drug fixed dose combination product containing 50 mg of bictegravir (BIC), 200 mg of emtricitabine (FTC), and 25 mg of tenofovir alafenamide (TAF). The recommended dosage of BIKTARVY is one tablet taken orally once daily with or without food in:
- adults and pediatric patients weighing at least 25 kg and estimated creatinine clearance greater than or equal to 30 mL per minute; or
- virologically-suppressed adults with estimated creatinine clearance below 15 mL per minute who are receiving chronic hemodialysis. On days of hemodialysis, administer the daily dose of BIKTARVY after completion of hemodialysis treatment [see Use in Specific Populations (8.6) and Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)].
Not Recommended in Patients with Severe Renal Impairment
BIKTARVY is not recommended in patients with:
- severe renal impairment (estimated creatinine clearance of 15 to below 30 mL per minute); or
- end stage renal disease (ESRD; estimated creatine clearance below 15 mL per minute) who are not receiving chronic hemodialysis; or
- no antiretroviral treatment history and ESRD who are receiving chronic hemodialysis [see Dosage and Administration (2.2) and Use in Specific Populations (8.6)].
Frequently asked questions
- Which medicines should not be taken with Biktarvy?
- Can Biktarvy be used for PrEP or PEP?
- Does Biktarvy cause weight gain?
- What is Biktarvy used for?
- What if I miss a dose of Biktarvy?
- How fast or how long does it take Biktarvy to work?
- What is the generic name for Biktarvy?
- Does Biktarvy increase cholesterol?
- What is the difference between Biktarvy and Descovy?
More about Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 125 Reviews
- Drug class: antiviral combinations
- FDA Approval History
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.