User Reviews for Biktarvy

HIV Infection   7.1

Reviews for Biktarvy

Bill · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 2, 2021

For HIV Infection: “I want to warn anyone taking this medication who may have similar genetics to mine. My experience with Biktarvy over the past 6 years was awful and I was not even fully aware, or informed of the details of it once I was until way later. I am someone who loves to workout and build muscle. It caused a lot of issues in the muscle building process which hindered my growth, gave me weak wrists/hands, made me feel fatigued, and it also made me extremely gassy and gave me foul smelling stools (I almost think it gave me a sort of food allergy while taking it). My doctor eventually concluded that I may be having some mitochondrial toxicity from TAF/FTC which is unusual but not impossible. I switched to Juluca which is an NRTI sparing regimen and have not had any of the above symptoms”

Rick · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 21, 2021

For HIV Infection: “HIV + April 2018 my VL was only 980 but the cd4 was 173, this put me in the aids bracket. I started to get thrush on tongue and this is a danger sign. I start AART Tivicay & Descovy.. within 1 month VL 120,cd4 around 300, thrush had gone, so was out of the danger zone. The side effects for me were not sleeping well, tired all the time, in a brain fog. I switched to Biktarvy in Aug 2020. Wow, ACID is really bad, even Losec doesn't stop it, teeth enamel eating away, have to drink warm water or teeth really hurt still tired and brain fog all the time. Now I am 6 months taking it and have nausea in stomach all the time, just feel off - ever since I started AART I haven't been sharp, Normally I was quick to do things or solve things quickly, not any more. The acid and nausea is becoming a big problem, but I am undetectable and cd4 is around 580. So I suppose I should be thankful..”

Anonymous February 18, 2021

For HIV Infection: “Infected in Nov 2020. Diagnosed & started meds in Jan 2021. First bloodwork came back with VL of 25000 & CD4 count of 430. I'm now approaching 2 weeks into the meds. The biggest thing I have noticed is the constant head tension & nausea is now fading. I have more energy as I’m able workout daily. I have a rash on the back of my neck along with small areas on my arm & hand that’s been there before starting the drug. The neck rash still remains. I also have mucus in my stool that has been there since the start of my infection. I started coughing off and on. I was told that for 1st time HIV med users your acute symptoms briefly come back as your immune system is strengthening so I imagine that’s what I’m going through right now. I’m still skeptical in general. I feel some progress but I also feel like that more progress should be happening as I’m almost 2 weeks into the medication. Hopefully I’ll improve more.”

Nick · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 16, 2021

For HIV Infection: “I was diagnosed in June 2020, doctor was sympathetic cause I’m young and was so confused. Still getting use to it. Anyways, I was put on Biktarvy right away and responded more than well to the treatment. No side effects for me. I even feel better with more energy. My levels are really good. Though it would help any support group suggestions. Thanks.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 15, 2021

For HIV Infection: “I have been on Biktarvy since December of 2018. I switched from Atripla that I was on for 12 years, and I never looked back. Although, I did experience initial adjustment side effects such as an upset stomach, headaches for the first month. Now I wake up without a headache that I used to get almost every morning, also have more energy to do things.”

MJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2021

For HIV Infection: “I’ve been on this med for 7 weeks and have not experienced any side effects. First med I’ve been on since being diagnosed. Tested undetectable 4 weeks after starting on Biktarvy”

JZ · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2021

For HIV Infection: “I switched from Triumeq because of extreme tiredness, but Biktarvy made it even worse. I tried Biktarvy for a week, but I had to switch back because it made me feel like a complete zombie. I was so tired and sleepy that I couldn't get out of bed at all and when I did get out of bed, I felt confused and disoriented. I had no choice but to stop taking it.”

JJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2021

For HIV Infection: “The first month on Biktarvy seemed ok but after a month it gave me severe spasms and pain on my calves. The pain was 24 hours a day. Then after 4 months it gave me neck pain and this is when my doc switched my Meds back. Biktarvy also raised my cholesterol. It also gave me lipodystrophy in my legs and arms which is depressing..”

Mark · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2021

For HIV Infection: “Started biktarvy just 28 days ago. I’d previously been on a three tablet combo taken once a day. Up to changing I’d never encountered any side effects but my mood is a lot lower and I’ve got the worst case of sinusitis since I changed.”

Srbport · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2021

For HIV Infection: “This is my second post on this website. I'm HIV positive since July'2020. I have been on Biktarvy for 4 months. I had my lab tests done after 2 months and a half. My viral load was undetectable and my CD4 raised from 459 yo 595. Not bad so far. Symptoms? I had headaches por a while. They seem to be better now. Keep strong mates!”

Stuart · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2021

For HIV Infection: “I have been HIV+ for 15 years, on Medicare for 10 years. I started with Truvada and Isentress. My doctor switched me to Descovy and Isentress because it was less harmful to liver and kidneys. My new doctor wanted me to switch to Biktarvy. My counts have stayed fine. I have been on it for 1 1/2 months. Nobody has mentioned this, but these two things are driving me crazy. I am experiencing terrible ear and sinus pressure. Caffeine seems to make it worse. Also my feet are either freezing or they are burning up. My doctor says it has nothing to do with the Biktarvy. I didn’t have it before. Plus, now my kidney functions seem to be declining. Up until now, I have done incredibly well. I guess I am an anomaly.... I would like to switch back to Descovy and Isentress to see if these things go away....My doctor is resistant. So frustrated....”

anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2020

For HIV Infection: “I was diagnosed with HIV infection in Oct. with a CD4 of 240, and a viral load of 80,000. After only 3 weeks, my CD4 is up to 700, and viral load is less than 20. Truly remarkable.”

Jenny B November 17, 2020

For HIV Infection: “I've had the virus for over 25 years been on many drugs each with its own side effects. Been on biktarvy for 2 months, at first it was ok no side effects apart from sweating badly at night which I don't mind because its painless. Then after 4 weeks started feeling strange headache at the back end of my head near the neck my so much joint pain and my hair started falling out soon after I went on this biktarvy. It falls off in a strange way like circles or ringworm but I don't mind that too because its painless and I wear wigs all the time. But whats scaring me is the sharp headache. So now am giving it 2 weeks to see how it will go if they will be no change then I will switch”

Drew · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 7, 2020

For HIV Infection: “I started Biktarvy in 2018, and a few weeks later I developed alopecia areata which has continued to worsen since. I have a childhood history of alopecia areata (coin-sized areas of hair loss) which would only last about 3-4 months and then hair would grow back. However, since starting Biktarvy alopecia has actually spread and I’d say I’ve lost 40% of my hair. I saw a few past reviews about hair loss, and I was told it was not the medication but I believe it triggered it because I keep losing hair and it’s been more than 2 years. No other side effects.”

Rbx · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 24, 2020

For HIV Infection: “I was diagnosed on the 7th of July. My VL and CD4 were 29.000 and 459 respectively. I have been on Biktarvy for almost 7 weeks now. So far, no side effects. I hope to be undetectable on my next check up in about 5 weeks.”

OverIt · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2020

For HIV Infection: “Newly diagnosed around 07/23/2020... VL-14,000, CD4-24 The doctor prescribed me bktarvy, based on my kidney problems. The first week, I felt GREAT no side effects, I felt stronger, happier, gained some weight, and all of the previous symptoms were gone. THE 2ND WEEK, ALTHOUGH I STILL FELT STRONG, I WAS EXPERIENCING VERY EXCRUCIATING CHRONIC MIGRAINES, EVERY SINGLE DAY(SOMETIMES 2X A DAY). The migraines were so intense and unpredictable, that it felt like I was having a stroke, EVERY SINGLE DAY. I could be feeling fine, then all of a sudden, BAM, the migraine hits out of the blue, my eyes starts fluttering, I get dizzy and confused and can't do anything but lay down in front of a fan, because heat is emitting from head and I can't think at all. It is week 3, the nurse recommended that I find another doctor to help with the migraines but she don't recommend me switching meds, and I should continue taking it or I wont get better... THIS IS HORRIBLE”

Dana · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 4, 2020

For HIV Infection: “Been on this medication for almost 2 years now and I can say only the worse. I don't even want to take it anymore and considering swithing to Dovato or other medicine.”

Tom · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2020

For HIV Infection: “I was diagnosed on 10 June 2020 and was put on Biktarvy a month later. I was shocked since the people I had been with all said they were negative. I have no idea how I got it. Anyway, I noticed I started losing my hair after getting on the medication. I also got rashes/zits on my back. Also, my stomach was upset during my 6 weeks on this medication. At my first follow-up, my doctor suggested it might be due to drug allergy so switched me to Triumeq. I had some side-effect of it in the beginning, but now after two weeks I am not having any and I’m not losing any more hair. Biktarvy was effective though. My CD4 count had gone from 425 when first diagnosed to 604 after 6 weeks. My doctor said that the hair loss was probably not because of Biktarvy, but I think it was. I was worried to switching meds since I’ve heard that they other ones are more toxic, but since I’m newly diagnosed maybe I can manage an ‘older’ drug for the time being.”

Daisy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2020

For HIV Infection: “I was diagnosed with HIV in 2014 and have remained undetectable with 960+ cd4 counts taking Triumeq ever since. On it, I experienced light nausea and occasional insomnia. My doctor suggested I switch to Biktarvy for future kidney benefits. After 3 months on Biktarvy my long hair, eyelashes, and eyebrows have fallen out. It began with a few extra hairs on my brush to now bald patches all over my head. I don’t have a history of alopecia. All labs to rule out other causes came back normal. Dermatologist found no external causes. The only change in my life has been the switch in HIV meds. Regardless, the doctor insisted that it cannot be related to Biktarvy and wanted me to continue on it. I refused and asked to be put back on Triumeq. I know hair loss is not considered a side effect of Biktarvy, but I am posting in case others out there are experiencing it. I will update on any changes made by going back to Triumeq.”

Jai June 9, 2020

For HIV Infection: “I got infected with HIV in January 2020. I have started treatment on 27th of February. My viral load and CD4 count was 1800 and 416 respectively when I started treatment. Now after three months of treatment my viral load is less than 40 and CD4 count is 430. I don’t have any side effects. Biktarvy is amazing!!”

D1996 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 25, 2020

For HIV Infection: “I'm positive since February 2018, was just twenty one at the time. I have been taking Biktarrvy about a year and a half now. They changed me over from Stribild, I think it was for financial reasons they never explained why. The main thing with my experience with HIV is the fatigue. I used to be so much stronger and active. My wrists feel brittle. If I do a few push ups & my chest feels like it's going to cave in. I spend at least the first half hour if every morning blowing my nose and coughing up mucus. That being said I'm glad I'm still here thanks to big pharma. It's sad that HIV wasn't sorted out years ago, before I was even born. I just hope people with HIV use their heads and don't pass it on to others. And medical institutions use their heads to rid of it completely.”

Kinakoo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 22, 2020

For HIV Infection: “Hiv+ since 1995. Since proteasa inhibitors appears the cd4 media has been 900 and virus copies are controlled since 1997 undetectable since Sustiva. Doctors impressed either my cd4 results, sometimes higher than 1300 (atripla times). Then Triumeq for a short time, then genvoya (the best for me) and now Biktarvy. Well, now I am 50 y/o and I know that my health and capabilities are not the same. Being very concerned about that I say that after one year of Biktarvy my cd4 now are lower between 700 and 800. Fortunately still undetectable. And I feel that my immunity system is now weaker. It costs me more to recover from problems like colds and I feel that I am more likely to have small health problems. It is only my feelings and I have talked to my doctor. I relay on my doctor as a father, so I will insist with Biktarvy if he says everything is ok.”

FeverNights · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 18, 2020

For HIV Infection: “Was diagnosed about 7 years ago. Had 200k copies, CD4 130 which is an immediate AIDS diagnosis. First was Stribild, all good was getting better very fast. Then they switched me to Genvoya, even better, no side effects that I could notice. About a year ago, switched to Stribild. I don't know if I'm having side effects or not, but I do feel a bit less healthy, however -20 copies and CD4 1,344. God bless everyone of you. Please take your meds!”

Garro · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2020

For HIV Infection: “I just started Biktarvy on April 30th with a CD4 count of 7 and an unknown VL. Also taking bactrim and clindamicin for a tooth infection. I'm starting to feel better, I haven't had any insufferable side effect apart from mild headaches, a bit of rash and maybe one crazy dream. I'm eating healthy and also taking probiotics to protect my stomach. I'm mostly concerned with the tooth infection that haven't stop yet. But I'm keeping positive after reading many good experiences with other patients. Let's be strong!”

Norse · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2020

For HIV Infection: “Got diagnosed in Feb 2020 and immediately started treatment. Went from cd4 660 and vl 40 000 to cd4 889 and undetectable in just three weeks. Very happy. Only felt a little tingling in feet the first few weeks. This however became worse with time, especially after workouts. More a feeling of numbness and sometimes sharp feeling of pain. Also got the same feeling in my hands. Suspected neuropathy. Waited it out another 3-4 weeks but it didn't subside. My doc then took me off Biktarvy and put me on dovato. Gradually feeling better but we'll see. Fingers crossed.”