What is the difference between Biktarvy and Descovy?
The difference between Biktarvy (bictegravir, emtricitabine and tenofovir alafenamide) and Descovy (emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide) is that Biktarvy contains an extra active ingredient called bictegravir. Both Biktarvy and Descovy are used in the treatment of HIV-1 infection. Descovy is also used for HIV-1 Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP).
Bictegravir is classified as an integrase strand transfer inhibitor and works by blocking the action of integrase, a human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) enzyme that promotes viral replication. Emtricitabine and tenofovir alafenamide are nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs) that block the action of reverse transcriptase, an enzyme that promotes the formation of DNA from RNA.
|February 7, 2018
|April 4, 2016
Each tablet contains:
Each tablet contains:
HIV-1 Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP)
Biktarvy is indicated as a complete regimen for the treatment of HIV-1 infection in adults and pediatric patients weighing at least 14 kg:
- who have no antiretroviral treatment history
- to replace the current antiretroviral regimen in those who are virologically suppressed (HIV-1 RNA less than 50 copies per mL) on a stable antiretroviral regimen with no known or suspected substitutions associated with resistance to bictegravir or tenofovir.
Descovy is indicated:
- in combination with other antiretroviral agents for the treatment of HIV-1 infection in adults and pediatric patients weighing at least 35 kg.
- in combination with other antiretroviral agents other than protease inhibitors that require a CYP3A inhibitor for the treatment of HIV-1 infection in pediatric patients weighing at least 14 kg and less than 35 kg.
Descovy is also indicated in at-risk adults and adolescents weighing at least 35 kg for pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) to reduce the risk of HIV-1 infection from sexual acquisition, excluding individuals at risk from receptive vaginal sex (effectiveness in this population has not been evaluated).
Biktarvy and Descovy are both manufactured by Gilead Sciences Inc.
- Food and Drug Administration. BIKTARVY® Product Label. Available at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2021/208215s020lbl.pdf [Accessed February 27, 2024]
- Food and Drug Administration. DESCOVY Product Label. Available at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2021/208215s020lbl.pdf [Accessed February 27, 2024]
Related medical questions
- Which medicines should not be taken with Biktarvy?
- Can Biktarvy be used for PrEP or PEP?
- Who are the actors in the Biktarvy commercials?
- Does Dovato cause weight gain?
- Does Biktarvy cause weight gain?
- Is Biktarvy an immunosuppressant?
- What if I miss a dose of Biktarvy?
- Can I drink alcohol while taking Biktarvy?
- Is Biktarvy covered by insurance?
- What is Biktarvy used for?
- Does Biktarvy cause hair loss?
- Bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir Alafenamide
- Emtricitabine / tenofovir Alafenamide