User Reviews for Bictegravir/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide

Also known as: Biktarvy

HIV Infection 7.3

Reviews for Bictegravir/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide

Mark · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2021

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “Started biktarvy just 28 days ago. I’d previously been on a three tablet combo taken once a day. Up to changing I’d never encountered any side effects but my mood is a lot lower and I’ve got the worst case of sinusitis since I changed.”

Srbport · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2021

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “This is my second post on this website. I'm HIV positive since July'2020. I have been on Biktarvy for 4 months. I had my lab tests done after 2 months and a half. My viral load was undetectable and my CD4 raised from 459 yo 595. Not bad so far. Symptoms? I had headaches por a while. They seem to be better now. Keep strong mates!”

Stuart · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2021

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “I have been HIV+ for 15 years, on Medicare for 10 years. I started with Truvada and Isentress. My doctor switched me to Descovy and Isentress because it was less harmful to liver and kidneys. My new doctor wanted me to switch to Biktarvy. My counts have stayed fine. I have been on it for 1 1/2 months. Nobody has mentioned this, but these two things are driving me crazy. I am experiencing terrible ear and sinus pressure. Caffeine seems to make it worse. Also my feet are either freezing or they are burning up. My doctor says it has nothing to do with the Biktarvy. I didn’t have it before. Plus, now my kidney functions seem to be declining. Up until now, I have done incredibly well. I guess I am an anomaly.... I would like to switch back to Descovy and Isentress to see if these things go away....My doctor is resistant. So frustrated....”

anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “I was diagnosed with HIV infection in Oct. with a CD4 of 240, and a viral load of 80,000. After only 3 weeks, my CD4 is up to 700, and viral load is less than 20. Truly remarkable.”

Jenny B November 17, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “I've had the virus for over 25 years been on many drugs each with its own side effects. Been on biktarvy for 2 months, at first it was ok no side effects apart from sweating badly at night which I don't mind because its painless. Then after 4 weeks started feeling strange headache at the back end of my head near the neck my so much joint pain and my hair started falling out soon after I went on this biktarvy. It falls off in a strange way like circles or ringworm but I don't mind that too because its painless and I wear wigs all the time. But whats scaring me is the sharp headache. So now am giving it 2 weeks to see how it will go if they will be no change then I will switch”

Drew · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 7, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “I started Biktarvy in 2018, and a few weeks later I developed alopecia areata which has continued to worsen since. I have a childhood history of alopecia areata (coin-sized areas of hair loss) which would only last about 3-4 months and then hair would grow back. However, since starting Biktarvy alopecia has actually spread and I’d say I’ve lost 40% of my hair. I saw a few past reviews about hair loss, and I was told it was not the medication but I believe it triggered it because I keep losing hair and it’s been more than 2 years. No other side effects.”

Rbx · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 24, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “I was diagnosed on the 7th of July. My VL and CD4 were 29.000 and 459 respectively. I have been on Biktarvy for almost 7 weeks now. So far, no side effects. I hope to be undetectable on my next check up in about 5 weeks.”

OverIt · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “Newly diagnosed around 07/23/2020... VL-14,000, CD4-24 The doctor prescribed me bktarvy, based on my kidney problems. The first week, I felt GREAT no side effects, I felt stronger, happier, gained some weight, and all of the previous symptoms were gone. THE 2ND WEEK, ALTHOUGH I STILL FELT STRONG, I WAS EXPERIENCING VERY EXCRUCIATING CHRONIC MIGRAINES, EVERY SINGLE DAY(SOMETIMES 2X A DAY). The migraines were so intense and unpredictable, that it felt like I was having a stroke, EVERY SINGLE DAY. I could be feeling fine, then all of a sudden, BAM, the migraine hits out of the blue, my eyes starts fluttering, I get dizzy and confused and can't do anything but lay down in front of a fan, because heat is emitting from head and I can't think at all. It is week 3, the nurse recommended that I find another doctor to help with the migraines but she don't recommend me switching meds, and I should continue taking it or I wont get better... THIS IS HORRIBLE”

Dana · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 4, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “Been on this medication for almost 2 years now and I can say only the worse. I don't even want to take it anymore and considering swithing to Dovato or other medicine.”

Tom · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “I was diagnosed on 10 June 2020 and was put on Biktarvy a month later. I was shocked since the people I had been with all said they were negative. I have no idea how I got it. Anyway, I noticed I started losing my hair after getting on the medication. I also got rashes/zits on my back. Also, my stomach was upset during my 6 weeks on this medication. At my first follow-up, my doctor suggested it might be due to drug allergy so switched me to Triumeq. I had some side-effect of it in the beginning, but now after two weeks I am not having any and I’m not losing any more hair. Biktarvy was effective though. My CD4 count had gone from 425 when first diagnosed to 604 after 6 weeks. My doctor said that the hair loss was probably not because of Biktarvy, but I think it was. I was worried to switching meds since I’ve heard that they other ones are more toxic, but since I’m newly diagnosed maybe I can manage an ‘older’ drug for the time being.”

Daisy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “I was diagnosed with HIV in 2014 and have remained undetectable with 960+ cd4 counts taking Triumeq ever since. On it, I experienced light nausea and occasional insomnia. My doctor suggested I switch to Biktarvy for future kidney benefits. After 3 months on Biktarvy my long hair, eyelashes, and eyebrows have fallen out. It began with a few extra hairs on my brush to now bald patches all over my head. I don’t have a history of alopecia. All labs to rule out other causes came back normal. Dermatologist found no external causes. The only change in my life has been the switch in HIV meds. Regardless, the doctor insisted that it cannot be related to Biktarvy and wanted me to continue on it. I refused and asked to be put back on Triumeq. I know hair loss is not considered a side effect of Biktarvy, but I am posting in case others out there are experiencing it. I will update on any changes made by going back to Triumeq.”

Jai June 9, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “I got infected with HIV in January 2020. I have started treatment on 27th of February. My viral load and CD4 count was 1800 and 416 respectively when I started treatment. Now after three months of treatment my viral load is less than 40 and CD4 count is 430. I don’t have any side effects. Biktarvy is amazing!!”

D1996 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 25, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “I'm positive since February 2018, was just twenty one at the time. I have been taking Biktarrvy about a year and a half now. They changed me over from Stribild, I think it was for financial reasons they never explained why. The main thing with my experience with HIV is the fatigue. I used to be so much stronger and active. My wrists feel brittle. If I do a few push ups & my chest feels like it's going to cave in. I spend at least the first half hour if every morning blowing my nose and coughing up mucus. That being said I'm glad I'm still here thanks to big pharma. It's sad that HIV wasn't sorted out years ago, before I was even born. I just hope people with HIV use their heads and don't pass it on to others. And medical institutions use their heads to rid of it completely.”

Kinakoo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 22, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “Hiv+ since 1995. Since proteasa inhibitors appears the cd4 media has been 900 and virus copies are controlled since 1997 undetectable since Sustiva. Doctors impressed either my cd4 results, sometimes higher than 1300 (atripla times). Then Triumeq for a short time, then genvoya (the best for me) and now Biktarvy. Well, now I am 50 y/o and I know that my health and capabilities are not the same. Being very concerned about that I say that after one year of Biktarvy my cd4 now are lower between 700 and 800. Fortunately still undetectable. And I feel that my immunity system is now weaker. It costs me more to recover from problems like colds and I feel that I am more likely to have small health problems. It is only my feelings and I have talked to my doctor. I relay on my doctor as a father, so I will insist with Biktarvy if he says everything is ok.”

FeverNights · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 18, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “Was diagnosed about 7 years ago. Had 200k copies, CD4 130 which is an immediate AIDS diagnosis. First was Stribild, all good was getting better very fast. Then they switched me to Genvoya, even better, no side effects that I could notice. About a year ago, switched to Stribild. I don't know if I'm having side effects or not, but I do feel a bit less healthy, however -20 copies and CD4 1,344. God bless everyone of you. Please take your meds!”

Garro · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “I just started Biktarvy on April 30th with a CD4 count of 7 and an unknown VL. Also taking bactrim and clindamicin for a tooth infection. I'm starting to feel better, I haven't had any insufferable side effect apart from mild headaches, a bit of rash and maybe one crazy dream. I'm eating healthy and also taking probiotics to protect my stomach. I'm mostly concerned with the tooth infection that haven't stop yet. But I'm keeping positive after reading many good experiences with other patients. Let's be strong!”

Norse · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “Got diagnosed in Feb 2020 and immediately started treatment. Went from cd4 660 and vl 40 000 to cd4 889 and undetectable in just three weeks. Very happy. Only felt a little tingling in feet the first few weeks. This however became worse with time, especially after workouts. More a feeling of numbness and sometimes sharp feeling of pain. Also got the same feeling in my hands. Suspected neuropathy. Waited it out another 3-4 weeks but it didn't subside. My doc then took me off Biktarvy and put me on dovato. Gradually feeling better but we'll see. Fingers crossed.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 12, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “Got assaulted in June of 2019 and didn’t think about it again until December when I got tested positive for HIV. Sucked that I was 18 and had to deal with this. Started medication in January and in February, my viral load was undetectable with my cd4 already at 530. Biktarvy is amazing and I finally feel like my life is back to normal. I can still workout and live healthy for a long time”

Big April 9, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “Hey Team Mates Big here. I’ve been diagnosed Since 2007 A total of 14 years Strong! Started with Atriplet ( Craziest dreams) then stribil , then doctors recommend a change so then switch to genvoya (the best). Now with all these meds I never really had side effects honestly too the point I was so healthy, I would forget I’m HIV+ until I had to take a pill. Man But now with this Biktarvy my side effects are off the charts. My side effects include skin rash on my lips, arms and stomach. Very restless during the day, can’t stay sleep at night, extreme stomach pains in the liver & kidney area, all of a sudden I have a bad knee (major pain). Rash on my penis that I got checked out by 2 different doctors they both said I was perfectly fine, there was no activity (sex) going on so it ruled out STD’s and STI’s. And I’ve noticed how I Recover from things a bit slower.”

PhilWil April 8, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “I was recently placed onto Biktarvy moving off Truvada for liver & kidney safety reason. I have maintained a healthy medical & no low viral copies in blood test. I started noting immediately lipodystrophy fat redistribution around abdomen, Brow (Neanderthal Brow). Shortly after began getting severe pain of the right quadrant abdomen, quite unbearable. The Dr indicates he does not believe it Biktarvy related. I did what I do "Not" suggest other's to do, but stopped and restarted previous regimen and side effects subsided. There are side effects with any medications, & in trial study's subjects present with various ones. However, the more pertinent SF'S are what doctors consider, & not nominal less frequent ones. Some are less common doesn't mean don't exist or are less relevant. Advocate for youself, insist your doctor listen, they are there for you as a patient and should treat patient with respect of being heard.”

Steeler · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “I was diagnosed HIV positive on March 7 2020. First day taking medication, let’s see how this goes. I hope there’s no major side effects.”

NewDay · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 28, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “I was Diagnosed on Oct 1 2019, after being screened for PrEP. Guess I was too late. Started on Biktarvy Oct 30th. Started with a VL 18500 and CD4 269. Only slight side effects, dull headache which was relieved with Tylenol and Vivid dreams. First follow up, Dec 4th. VL undetectable, Doc didn't check CD4 at this time. Headaches are less frequent, hydration helps. Second follow up, Mar 4th 2020. VL still undetectable, CD4 count up to 516.”

Worried · Taken for less than 1 month March 23, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “I was diagnosed 1994 with the virus. I started taking medications 12 years later. Kaletra and Truvada. Because of this coronavirus kaletra isn't available. I pray Biktarvy works for me so many side effects.”

Dutch March 22, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “I notice more gas since on biktarvy. I also gained weight when starting biktarvy. I may sleep slightly better than atripla.”

Dab · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2020

Biktarvy (bictegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide) for HIV Infection: “Got diagnosed February 15th , by a random 20 min test in clinic , shocked to say the least never knew or suspected, and according to doc must have had it for a while , as vl 49,000 and cd4 164 , as I write just had my 2nd tablet and so far so good also on co-trimoxazole until cd4 rises over 200 do fingers crossed , will update progress”