Generic name: AZITHROMYCIN DIHYDRATE 600mg
Dosage form: tablet, film coated; oral suspension
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 29, 2019.
ZITHROMAX for oral suspension (single dose 1 g packet) can be taken with or without food after constitution. However, increased tolerability has been observed when tablets are taken with food.
Zithromax for oral suspension (single dose 1 g packet) is not for pediatric use. For pediatric suspension see the prescribing information for ZITHROMAX (azithromycin for oral suspension) 100 mg/5 mL and 200 mg/5 mL bottles.
Directions for administration of ZITHROMAX for oral suspension in the single dose packet (1 g): The entire contents of the packet should be mixed thoroughly with two ounces (approximately 60 mL) of water. Drink the entire contents immediately; add an additional two ounces of water, mix, and drink to ensure complete consumption of dosage. The single dose packet should not be used to administer doses other than 1000 mg of azithromycin.
Sexually Transmitted Diseases
The recommended dose of ZITHROMAX for the treatment of non-gonococcal urethritis and cervicitis due to C. trachomatis is a single 1 gram (1000 mg) dose of ZITHROMAX. This dose can be administered as one single dose packet (1 g).
Prevention of Disseminated MAC Infections
The recommended dose of ZITHROMAX for the prevention of disseminated Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) disease is: 1200 mg taken once weekly. This dose of ZITHROMAX may be combined with the approved dosage regimen of rifabutin.
Treatment of Disseminated MAC Infections
ZITHROMAX should be taken at a daily dose of 600 mg, in combination with ethambutol at the recommended daily dose of 15 mg/kg. Other antimycobacterial drugs that have shown in vitro activity against MAC may be added to the regimen of azithromycin plus ethambutol at the discretion of the physician or health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
- Can you drink alcohol with Z-Pak?
- Zithromax Z-Pak - can Tums (antacids) be taken with Z-Pak?
- Azithromycin - Can I drink a glass of wine at night if I have taken the medicine in the day?
- Azithromycin - can you cut the pill in half?
- Taking azithromycin for chlamydia, how long to clear infection?
- Is azithromycin OK for men with chlamydia?
- What is the recommended treatment and dose for chlamydia?
- Was azithromycin in my system long enough to treat chlamydia after throwing up?
- How long does azithromycin stay in your system after you finish taking it?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat strep throat?
- What antibiotics are used to treat chlamydia and gonorrhea?
- What antibiotics are used to treat pneumonia?
- How long does Zithromax stay in your system?
More about Zithromax (azithromycin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 115 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: macrolides
- FDA Alerts (3)
- Zithromax IV
- Zithromax Z-Pak
- Zithromax (Azithromycin Injection)
- Zithromax (Azithromycin Oral Suspension)
- ... +6 more