User Reviews for Zonegran

Zonegran has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 56 ratings on Drugs.com. 57% of those users who reviewed Zonegran reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Migraine Prevention  Off-label 7.6
Seizures   6.9
Benign Essential Tremor  Off-label 5.5
Summary of Zonegran reviews 7.1 56 reviews

Reviews for Zonegran

truth teller · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2021

For Seizures: “RUN DO NOT walk from this medicine. I used this for about a month. It's a useless medicine. More of a get rid of you medicine. Causes a whole load of problem that you don't need”

David · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 16, 2020

For Seizures: “This drug Zonegran made me angry, depressed, and generally uninterested in life. The cognitive effects are pretty severe as well. Almost lost my job due to my performance while on zonegran. When I stopped taking it I felt like someone lifted the fog and turned the lights on again. \”

Letssee · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2020

For Seizures: “This week I've started on 50mg Zonegran at night and over the next few weeks will be increasing to 200mg daily. This is the 9th AED I have tried for my complex partial epilepsy. I am taking this in conjunction with 400mg Tegretol daily and 10-30mg Frisium daily. I experience auras daily and have seizures approx. once a week. Since starting this drug, I have not experienced any auras or seizures...however, it is too early to know if it is actually working. The side effects so far have been rather uncomfortable. This includes headaches, nausea, loss of appetite and feeling more tired/foggy than usual. Hoping the side effects will lessen over the next few weeks!”

betterhelp June 18, 2020

For Seizures: “I have been on 100mg daily of Zonegran for 1 week. Today I will be upping my dose to 200mg daily. Next week I will be upping it to 300mg daily and maxing out there for about a month to see how my body fully reacts to the 300mg daily. Zonegran, so far, is the first medication to help with the seizures. It definitely has lessened the length of my seizures, and how often. The side effects aren’t even close to how bad side effects have been on any other anti-seizure meds. I am definitely very drowsy, a little more irritable, moving slower, and feeling foggy. Have way less of an appetite and not eating early as much. I am having some headaches. Aside from that, I’m happy with this medicine so far. Finding the right medicine can be so frustrating and makes you feel so alone sometimes. Hoping this comment can help others as well! Xo”

wassup · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 23, 2020

For Seizures: “Started taking 300 mg of Zonegran/Zonisamide my freshman year of high school and have been on it for 3 years. The drug is good at what it’s supposed to do- control seizures, however the side effects are getting so extreme that I’m in the process of changing medicine. Lost 60 lbs, hands/feet feeling tingly, slurred speech, getting agitated and more forgetful. Although those were tolerable and pretty mild, I started experiencing cloudy urine that would be incredibly painful and at this point, unbearable. If your thinking about taking this medication make sure to DRINK WATER!”

Sarah · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 3, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I woke up one day with a feeling that I was rocking in a boat, severe head pressure, and nausea. This lasted 3 months until my neurologist prescribed this medication for migraines. It made me feel like I could live my life again. I do get a little forgetful on it but it is worth it to not have my migraines and constant dizziness.”

Keanie · Taken for 10 years or more September 4, 2019

For Seizures: “Taking 800mg of Tegretol, 200mg of Pregabalin, 10mg of Clobazam & 100mg of Zonisamide twice a day plus 125mg of Primidone once at night didn’t work on me. Even after having part of my brain removed didn’t completely stop me from having seizures but increasing Zonisamide to 150mg twice a day thankfully stopped me having seizures in 2010, I’d suffered with them for 9 and a half years. Certainly would never reduce these - I got my life back in my thirties so can do all I used to. Cope with going to soccer matches alone & abroad alone, I didn’t even leave town I lived in alone when suffering with epilepsy. I live in the UK so lucky as do not pay for these.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: “Zonegran works great for my pain but I am so tired ALL THE TIME. I'm getting off of it soon I can't handle it anymore.”

Lots of them · Taken for 10 years or more August 28, 2018

For Seizures: “I've been taking Zonegran for 12 or so years and have had no problems at all-not one seizure for years. I ride Motor cycles fast and not once have I had a problem.”

Kay · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2018

For Seizures: “This drug is great for seizures. I literally don’t have any when taking it. The only side effects I see is fatigue, and serious weight loss. I’m down 20 pounds from this drug.”

Anonymous June 9, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: “I have been taking zonegran for migraines for about a month. It has helped tremendously. Unfortunately the past few days my eyes have been in so much pain. And that is causing my head to hurt. I am wondering will this side effect go away?”

Tess · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 21, 2018

For Seizures: “I was really hoping Zonegran would be my golden ticket to no more complex partial seizures. Instead, I’m having not only more, but have tinnitus. The screeching in my ear is so loud I’d swear people can hear me coming. I’m sure it’s fine for some, just not in my case.”

Holly19 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: “I just turned 19 and I've seen 3 neurologists, 4 neurosurgeons, and a epileptic specialist all in the last 6 months. None of them can really tell me what’s wrong with me but Zonegran has helped a lot with the hard hitting headaches. I still get dull “I can feel it” headaches almost everyday but nothing compared what I used to get. I don’t get any major side effects, sometimes I slur or jumble worlds but I can recover them quickly, if I take it on an empty stomach my thought process is cloudy but nothing major. Also, I was normal weight before but I’ve lost 15 pounds since I started this medication 3 months ago.”

Nikinoo · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 20, 2017

For Seizures: “Effective prevention of seizures, but I only had two episodes 16 months apart started at age 57. Started at 25mg twice a day, increased to 50mg. Was prescribed to go up to 100mg but requested to stay on the 50mg as I had no episodes and didn't like the effect it had on me. I am now used to it but it makes me drowsy. Big downside is I have just found out that I have osteoporosis and it appears that zonegran is contributing to accelerated leeching of my bones. Will be discussing with neurologist in a couple of weeks.”

dwenger86 · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2017

For Seizures: “I took Zonegran (zonisamide) for approximately 4 weeks. That should tell you something. I knew by the third week that something was wrong with me. This drug ruined my thinking process. I got "brain fog", was unable to concentrate or focus on anything more than 2-3 minutes. I could not remember 50% of more of anything I read or was told. It made me depressed and discouraged and I completely lost interest in nearly everything. It began to effect me emotionally and I became extremely irritable at times. It also made me very sleepy and reduced my appetite tremendously. *Worst of all, it did not stop my seizures. Zonegran must be one of, if not the worst anti-seizure medications I've taken in my life. I don't recommend it.”

Meemfelds · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2017

For Migraine Prevention: “The medication worked well to prevent migraines. However after one month of use I developed joint pain/swelling and a rash. It was determined I had drug induced lupus and the medication was discontinued.”

HeadacheFree28 February 26, 2017

For Migraine Prevention: “In the past, I had been given all types of medicines for migraine prevention and by far Zonegran has been THE BEST. I've had very few side effects that I can notice. The number of headaches that I normally have are decreased tremendously! I can really tell when I miss doses of the medication because the headaches come back full force but once I get the medicine in my system again, everything is all good! If you haven't tried Zonegran, PLEASE DO!”

Tara h. December 8, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: “Well it all started with dizzy spells that got so bad I couldn't even stand up. I was in the hospital for almost 24hr. They had no idea what was wrong. They suggested I see a neurologest ASAP. After making the appointment to see who they suggested, I wouldn't be able to see them for 4months. So I reached out to my family. They said to see a headache specialist. That sounded crazy to me at first. After meeting this new Doctor the same day I called him. He put me on Topamax I believe it was called, which I had almost every side effect from. So he decided to put me on zonegran small doses and work my way up. This medicine is amazing. I have no side effects at all and no more migraines for about a year now.”

Brittani31 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 29, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: “For Migraine Prevention Ive tried amitriptyline, Imitrex, propranolol ,Fioricet & Topamax and for a while and they worked but the side effects were insane. However, the zonesamide works very well for preventing my migraines. I take 300 mg a day. Word finding and memory, I don't even know what those are anymore. However, I was living in constant pain. Nothing was working for me. This is the only thing that has done anything for me in quite some time, so do I walk around with a child like mind or not be able to get out of bed because of the pounding migraines?!?”

Migrainemiss August 21, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: “I have been taking 100 mg of Zonegran daily for about a month, and have noticed a reduction in the amount and severity of my migraines.”

stex July 3, 2016

For Seizures: “This is one of the worst AEDs I've tried over the past 41+ years since surviving Reyes. It caused hostility, agitation, nervousness, restless legs syndrome, suicidal thoughts, and made me so impulsive that I requested an early retirement from a position paying about $104k per year. I probably would have not gone for retirement if the effects of the med had not been there. To top things off it gave me gingival hyperplasia so my front teeth are ruined, gum overgrowth is worse than it has been while on any of the other 24 meds I've been given. Intractable epilepsy is tough but this med might help persons who haven't had trauma or brain surgery. FDA and the maker FAILED to warn me about this. I got off of it.”

Bruan June 30, 2016

For Seizures: “I first took it in 1984 as part of the study. It was so, so, didn't work sufficiently and the epileptologist took me off of it for fear of kidney stones impacting a teenager. When having major problems with Onfi and having tried 25+ meds over the past 41+ years I thought I'd see if Zonegran was improved. A physician at Georgetown University in DC failed, like FDA, to proved information stating that the med can make a person who has had trauma and/or brain surgery go into orbit. It controlled seizures a few months, made me do impulsive things like request retirement from a position paying over $104k/year. It made me hostile, nervous, go nuts, and elevated my Dilantin level, caused gingival hyperplasia so my teeth are painful and ruined.”

Anonymous April 3, 2016

For Benign Essential Tremor: “No help! My hand and head still shake. I have a headache, nausea, and vomiting II never had. My face is red. I have no energy and have to push myself to do things. This is not me!”

BLove01 March 18, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: “I took 300mg of zonegran for nearly 2 years. It worked really well to prevent my migraines at the start--it was like a dream come true. I did experience appetite reduction and weight loss, but I put it back on after about a year. The negative side effects were extreme for me over time. First, my depression got much worse. That could have been external factors, but the time that I started taking Zonegran and the severe increase in my symptoms match. Also, after some time, I noticed my cognitive function was severely inhibited. I was in graduate school at the time and began failing classes, slurring my words when 100% sober, and unable to remember things. When I went off, my migraines returned severely, especially period and allergy migraines”

James_D · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: “I was taking 6-8 Excedrine Migraine daily to control my headaches. I saw a neurologist and was put on Zonegram. It took 1 month to build up to 100 mg per day. I was headache free after 2 months and have been that way for 3 months now. I will step down from the pills in 6 months. No side affects for me at all .”