User Reviews for Zonegran

Benign Essential Tremor
5.5

Summary of Zonegran reviews 6.9 48 reviews

Reviews for Zonegran

For Seizures "I've been taking Zonegran for 12 or so years and have had no problems at all-not one seizure for years. I ride Motor cycles fast and not once have I had a problem."

Lots of them (taken for 10 years or more) August 28, 2018

For Seizures "This drug is great for seizures. I literally don’t have any when taking it. The only side effects I see is fatigue, and serious weight loss. I’m down 20 pounds from this drug."

Kay (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2018

For Migraine Prevention "I have been taking zonegran for migraines for about a month. It has helped tremendously. Unfortunately the past few days my eyes have been in so much pain. And that is causing my head to hurt. I am wondering will this side effect go away?"

Anonymous June 9, 2018

For Seizures "I was really hoping Zonegran would be my golden ticket to no more complex partial seizures. Instead, I’m having not only more, but have tinnitus. The screeching in my ear is so loud I’d swear people can hear me coming. I’m sure it’s fine for some, just not in my case."

Tess (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2018

For Migraine Prevention "I just turned 19 and I've seen 3 neurologists, 4 neurosurgeons, and a epileptic specialist all in the last 6 months. None of them can really tell me what’s wrong with me but Zonegran has helped a lot with the hard hitting headaches. I still get dull “I can feel it” headaches almost everyday but nothing compared what I used to get. I don’t get any major side effects, sometimes I slur or jumble worlds but I can recover them quickly, if I take it on an empty stomach my thought process is cloudy but nothing major. Also, I was normal weight before but I’ve lost 15 pounds since I started this medication 3 months ago."

Holly19 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2018

For Seizures "Effective prevention of seizures, but I only had two episodes 16 months apart started at age 57. Started at 25mg twice a day, increased to 50mg. Was prescribed to go up to 100mg but requested to stay on the 50mg as I had no episodes and didn't like the effect it had on me. I am now used to it but it makes me drowsy. Big downside is I have just found out that I have osteoporosis and it appears that zonegran is contributing to accelerated leeching of my bones. Will be discussing with neurologist in a couple of weeks."

Nikinoo (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 20, 2017

For Seizures "I took Zonegran (zonisamide) for approximately 4 weeks. That should tell you something. I knew by the third week that something was wrong with me. This drug ruined my thinking process. I got "brain fog", was unable to concentrate or focus on anything more than 2-3 minutes. I could not remember 50% of more of anything I read or was told. It made me depressed and discouraged and I completely lost interest in nearly everything. It began to effect me emotionally and I became extremely irritable at times. It also made me very sleepy and reduced my appetite tremendously. *Worst of all, it did not stop my seizures. Zonegran must be one of, if not the worst anti-seizure medications I've taken in my life. I don't recommend it."

dwenger86 (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

For Migraine Prevention "The medication worked well to prevent migraines. However after one month of use I developed joint pain/swelling and a rash. It was determined I had drug induced lupus and the medication was discontinued."

Meemfelds (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

For Migraine Prevention "In the past, I had been given all types of medicines for migraine prevention and by far Zonegran has been THE BEST. I've had very few side effects that I can notice. The number of headaches that I normally have are decreased tremendously! I can really tell when I miss doses of the medication because the headaches come back full force but once I get the medicine in my system again, everything is all good! If you haven't tried Zonegran, PLEASE DO!"

HeadacheFree28 February 26, 2017

For Migraine Prevention "Well it all started with dizzy spells that got so bad I couldn't even stand up. I was in the hospital for almost 24hr. They had no idea what was wrong. They suggested I see a neurologest ASAP. After making the appointment to see who they suggested, I wouldn't be able to see them for 4months. So I reached out to my family. They said to see a headache specialist. That sounded crazy to me at first. After meeting this new Doctor the same day I called him. He put me on Topamax I believe it was called, which I had almost every side effect from. So he decided to put me on zonegran small doses and work my way up. This medicine is amazing. I have no side effects at all and no more migraines for about a year now."

Tara h. December 8, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "For Migraine Prevention Ive tried amitriptyline, Imitrex, propranolol ,Fioricet & Topamax and for a while and they worked but the side effects were insane. However, the zonesamide works very well for preventing my migraines. I take 300 mg a day. Word finding and memory, I don't even know what those are anymore. However, I was living in constant pain. Nothing was working for me. This is the only thing that has done anything for me in quite some time, so do I walk around with a child like mind or not be able to get out of bed because of the pounding migraines?!?"

Brittani31 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 29, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I have been taking 100 mg of Zonegran daily for about a month, and have noticed a reduction in the amount and severity of my migraines."

Migrainemiss August 21, 2016

For Seizures "This is one of the worst AEDs I've tried over the past 41+ years since surviving Reyes. It caused hostility, agitation, nervousness, restless legs syndrome, suicidal thoughts, and made me so impulsive that I requested an early retirement from a position paying about $104k per year. I probably would have not gone for retirement if the effects of the med had not been there. To top things off it gave me gingival hyperplasia so my front teeth are ruined, gum overgrowth is worse than it has been while on any of the other 24 meds I've been given. Intractable epilepsy is tough but this med might help persons who haven't had trauma or brain surgery. FDA and the maker FAILED to warn me about this. I got off of it."

stex July 3, 2016

For Seizures "I first took it in 1984 as part of the study. It was so, so, didn't work sufficiently and the epileptologist took me off of it for fear of kidney stones impacting a teenager. When having major problems with Onfi and having tried 25+ meds over the past 41+ years I thought I'd see if Zonegran was improved. A physician at Georgetown University in DC failed, like FDA, to proved information stating that the med can make a person who has had trauma and/or brain surgery go into orbit. It controlled seizures a few months, made me do impulsive things like request retirement from a position paying over $104k/year. It made me hostile, nervous, go nuts, and elevated my Dilantin level, caused gingival hyperplasia so my teeth are painful and ruined."

Bruan June 30, 2016

For Benign Essential Tremor "No help! My hand and head still shake. I have a headache, nausea, and vomiting II never had. My face is red. I have no energy and have to push myself to do things. This is not me!"

Anonymous April 3, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I took 300mg of zonegran for nearly 2 years. It worked really well to prevent my migraines at the start--it was like a dream come true. I did experience appetite reduction and weight loss, but I put it back on after about a year. The negative side effects were extreme for me over time. First, my depression got much worse. That could have been external factors, but the time that I started taking Zonegran and the severe increase in my symptoms match. Also, after some time, I noticed my cognitive function was severely inhibited. I was in graduate school at the time and began failing classes, slurring my words when 100% sober, and unable to remember things. When I went off, my migraines returned severely, especially period and allergy migraines"

BLove01 March 18, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I was taking 6-8 Excedrine Migraine daily to control my headaches. I saw a neurologist and was put on Zonegram. It took 1 month to build up to 100 mg per day. I was headache free after 2 months and have been that way for 3 months now. I will step down from the pills in 6 months. No side affects for me at all ."

James_D (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

For Seizures "I have taken Zonegran ( brand name only) for about 15 years I have been seizure free ALL 15 years. Prior to that I was on Topamax ( brand name only) I was seizure free 4 years I had one seizure in that time due to exposure to mold. Zonegran is the BEST medicine I have ever had. I do have word finding and short term memory issues that are frustrating and sometimes involuntary jerking of my limbs, as I'm trying to go to sleep. In all honesty, I would not use anything else. I don't have to worry about seizures. I just take the meds and live my life. So much so I am finally driving a car which is something I thought I would never do, because I didn't trust my meds!!"

Wildreign (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2016

For Benign Essential Tremor "Since I've started taking Zonegran I have not had ANY flare ups of tremors in my hands. No bad side effects however, one good one... It has helped me lose weight!"

Romauld July 7, 2015

For Seizures "I took the medicine for 17 years after I had A VNS implant for my seizure disorder, the brand name medicine I considered to have the most positive experience in removing them overall, as the generic brand names had all side affects to my body by giving more seizure's & head aces ."

Markus 1 June 26, 2015

For Seizures "I have been on Zonisamide for 5 years. I've tried several other medications to control my seizures but always switched due to side effects (hair loss, depression etc.). Zonisamide works the best so far for me! I love it! I haven't had a seizure in 5 years and I'm very happy with my quality of life! The only setback is my memory, I have word-finding issues big time! It gets very frustrating when I can see the person or the thing and not say the word. I have a Bachelor's degree in English, so you can imagine how annoying that is! But I would choose Zonisamide over anything else for sure! :)"

JBuns April 20, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I have been given many different diagnosis (Hemicrania continua, primary trochlear headache, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia) currently I have migrainous type chronic headache with Atypical Facial Pain. I was on 300 mg Topamax with a bunch of other stuff and this helped, but I couldn't add 2 2. It was like north pole magnets coming together. Now I have been on 200mg Zonisamide (Zonegran) for about 2 years and I have a 50% reduction in pain. As for cognitive impairment, I can live with the loss of spelling and reduced vocabulary. It's not that bad compared to either the pain or Topamax."

Steve_pain November 26, 2014

For Seizures "Zonegran unlike Keppra and other seizure medicines give you a natural feeling closer to a normal feeling. Some seizures still slip by for me but only when it's closer to my menstrual cycle or ovulation time, my seizures seem to be directly linked to fluctionations in my womanly cycles other than that this medicine has been the best one for me and has been a great relief to me."

Seizuregrlll (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 17, 2014

For Seizures "Been on this medicine for a long time. 10 years. It decreased my seizures a lot and my headaches. Also decreased my appetite and I've lost weight which I have no problem with. Out of all seizure medicines I've been on I highly suggest this one!"

Childfree91 (taken for 10 years or more) January 16, 2014

For Migraine Prevention "I took Topamax for a while and it worked wonders but the side effects were insane. However, the zonesamide works very well for preventing my migraines. I take 400 mg a day. Word finding and memory, I don't even know what those are anymore. However, I was living in constant pain. Nothing was working for me. This is the only thing that has done anything for me in years."

What memory January 12, 2014