User Reviews for Zonegran to treat Seizures

Zonegran Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 86 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Zonegran

betterhelp June 18, 2020

“I have been on 100mg daily of Zonegran for 1 week. Today I will be upping my dose to 200mg daily. Next week I will be upping it to 300mg daily and maxing out there for about a month to see how my body fully reacts to the 300mg daily. Zonegran, so far, is the first medication to help with the seizures. It definitely has lessened the length of my seizures, and how often. The side effects aren’t even close to how bad side effects have been on any other anti-seizure meds. I am definitely very drowsy, a little more irritable, moving slower, and feeling foggy. Have way less of an appetite and not eating early as much. I am having some headaches. Aside from that, I’m happy with this medicine so far. Finding the right medicine can be so frustrating and makes you feel so alone sometimes. Hoping this comment can help others as well! Xo”

wassup · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 23, 2020

“Started taking 300 mg of Zonegran/Zonisamide my freshman year of high school and have been on it for 3 years. The drug is good at what it’s supposed to do- control seizures, however the side effects are getting so extreme that I’m in the process of changing medicine. Lost 60 lbs, hands/feet feeling tingly, slurred speech, getting agitated and more forgetful. Although those were tolerable and pretty mild, I started experiencing cloudy urine that would be incredibly painful and at this point, unbearable. If your thinking about taking this medication make sure to DRINK WATER!”

Keanie · Taken for 10 years or more September 4, 2019

“Taking 800mg of Tegretol, 200mg of Pregabalin, 10mg of Clobazam & 100mg of Zonisamide twice a day plus 125mg of Primidone once at night didn’t work on me. Even after having part of my brain removed didn’t completely stop me from having seizures but increasing Zonisamide to 150mg twice a day thankfully stopped me having seizures in 2010, I’d suffered with them for 9 and a half years. Certainly would never reduce these - I got my life back in my thirties so can do all I used to. Cope with going to soccer matches alone & abroad alone, I didn’t even leave town I lived in alone when suffering with epilepsy. I live in the UK so lucky as do not pay for these.”

Lots of them · Taken for 10 years or more August 28, 2018

“I've been taking Zonegran for 12 or so years and have had no problems at all-not one seizure for years. I ride Motor cycles fast and not once have I had a problem.”

Kay · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2018

“This drug is great for seizures. I literally don’t have any when taking it. The only side effects I see is fatigue, and serious weight loss. I’m down 20 pounds from this drug.”

Tess · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 21, 2018

“I was really hoping Zonegran would be my golden ticket to no more complex partial seizures. Instead, I’m having not only more, but have tinnitus. The screeching in my ear is so loud I’d swear people can hear me coming. I’m sure it’s fine for some, just not in my case.”

Nikinoo · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 20, 2017

“Effective prevention of seizures, but I only had two episodes 16 months apart started at age 57. Started at 25mg twice a day, increased to 50mg. Was prescribed to go up to 100mg but requested to stay on the 50mg as I had no episodes and didn't like the effect it had on me. I am now used to it but it makes me drowsy. Big downside is I have just found out that I have osteoporosis and it appears that zonegran is contributing to accelerated leeching of my bones. Will be discussing with neurologist in a couple of weeks.”

dwenger86 · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2017

“I took Zonegran (zonisamide) for approximately 4 weeks. That should tell you something. I knew by the third week that something was wrong with me. This drug ruined my thinking process. I got "brain fog", was unable to concentrate or focus on anything more than 2-3 minutes. I could not remember 50% of more of anything I read or was told. It made me depressed and discouraged and I completely lost interest in nearly everything. It began to effect me emotionally and I became extremely irritable at times. It also made me very sleepy and reduced my appetite tremendously. *Worst of all, it did not stop my seizures. Zonegran must be one of, if not the worst anti-seizure medications I've taken in my life. I don't recommend it.”

stex July 3, 2016

“This is one of the worst AEDs I've tried over the past 41+ years since surviving Reyes. It caused hostility, agitation, nervousness, restless legs syndrome, suicidal thoughts, and made me so impulsive that I requested an early retirement from a position paying about $104k per year. I probably would have not gone for retirement if the effects of the med had not been there. To top things off it gave me gingival hyperplasia so my front teeth are ruined, gum overgrowth is worse than it has been while on any of the other 24 meds I've been given. Intractable epilepsy is tough but this med might help persons who haven't had trauma or brain surgery. FDA and the maker FAILED to warn me about this. I got off of it.”

Bruan June 30, 2016

“I first took it in 1984 as part of the study. It was so, so, didn't work sufficiently and the epileptologist took me off of it for fear of kidney stones impacting a teenager. When having major problems with Onfi and having tried 25+ meds over the past 41+ years I thought I'd see if Zonegran was improved. A physician at Georgetown University in DC failed, like FDA, to proved information stating that the med can make a person who has had trauma and/or brain surgery go into orbit. It controlled seizures a few months, made me do impulsive things like request retirement from a position paying over $104k/year. It made me hostile, nervous, go nuts, and elevated my Dilantin level, caused gingival hyperplasia so my teeth are painful and ruined.”

Wildreign · Taken for 10 years or more January 4, 2016

“I have taken Zonegran ( brand name only) for about 15 years I have been seizure free ALL 15 years. Prior to that I was on Topamax ( brand name only) I was seizure free 4 years I had one seizure in that time due to exposure to mold. Zonegran is the BEST medicine I have ever had. I do have word finding and short term memory issues that are frustrating and sometimes involuntary jerking of my limbs, as I'm trying to go to sleep. In all honesty, I would not use anything else. I don't have to worry about seizures. I just take the meds and live my life. So much so I am finally driving a car which is something I thought I would never do, because I didn't trust my meds!!”

Markus 1 June 26, 2015

“I took the medicine for 17 years after I had A VNS implant for my seizure disorder, the brand name medicine I considered to have the most positive experience in removing them overall, as the generic brand names had all side affects to my body by giving more seizure's & head aces .”

JBuns April 20, 2015

“I have been on Zonisamide for 5 years. I've tried several other medications to control my seizures but always switched due to side effects (hair loss, depression etc.). Zonisamide works the best so far for me! I love it! I haven't had a seizure in 5 years and I'm very happy with my quality of life! The only setback is my memory, I have word-finding issues big time! It gets very frustrating when I can see the person or the thing and not say the word. I have a Bachelor's degree in English, so you can imagine how annoying that is! But I would choose Zonisamide over anything else for sure! :)”

Seizuregrlll · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 17, 2014

“Zonegran unlike Keppra and other seizure medicines give you a natural feeling closer to a normal feeling. Some seizures still slip by for me but only when it's closer to my menstrual cycle or ovulation time, my seizures seem to be directly linked to fluctionations in my womanly cycles other than that this medicine has been the best one for me and has been a great relief to me.”

Childfree91 · Taken for 10 years or more January 16, 2014

“Been on this medicine for a long time. 10 years. It decreased my seizures a lot and my headaches. Also decreased my appetite and I've lost weight which I have no problem with. Out of all seizure medicines I've been on I highly suggest this one!”

goldilocks46 November 25, 2013

“I have been taking Topirimate for complex partial seizures following my second sub arachnoid bleed in 2005 but started to lose my hair so I am now taking Zonegran and since changing over I feel very well, and the hair loss seems to be much improved and I am feeling great !”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 29, 2013

“Our daughter is 5 years old and is on Zonegran for epilepsy along with other AED'S she has problems since about a week after starting Zonegran lack of memory and information processing. She is very slow now and has a hard time finding the correct words. She is also very sleepy. at this point we have actually seen a increase in seizure activity.”

ringa · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 21, 2013

“Seizures decreased in frequecy. Partial seizures. But there was one day of uncontrollable,uncomfortable side effects or a seizure of a different type. I had trouble organizing thoughts,couldn't come up with certain words,and felt extremely hostile at times. Never want to have those feelings again. They were very strong and uncontronablle.”

Emily G. October 9, 2013

“I have been taking Zonegran, 300mg/daily for 8 years. I have complex partial seizures that generalize about 90% of the time. I have tried just about every other medication out there and this is the only one that has kept my epilepsy under control. I do have side effects: some depression, anorexia (defined as loss of appetite). I started this medication weighing around 125lbs and now after three children weigh 105lbs and can't remember the last time I was hungry, and I have noticed that it is harder for me to retain information and I sometimes have to read things twice to understand them where before Zonegran I easily understood and retained information. Despite these side effects, I won't ever try a different medication. Totally worth it.”

Ridiculousness April 13, 2013

“I was on this medicine at first 200mg a day then 400mg. I turned into a completely different person. I'm normally a happy, positive & outgoing young woman. On Zonisamide I became extremely irritable & depressed. I flipped out over the littlest thing. I also lost a lot of weight because my appetite essentially disappeared. I weighed about 135lbs when I started and dropped to 113lbs. I finally had enough when the depression kicked in. I would have suicidal thoughts multiple times a day. It was scary and debilitating! I cried a lot, for no good reason. My performance at work and my relationships were suffering so I called my Dr. and switched to Lamictal.”

DGIII · Taken for less than 1 month March 23, 2013

“Diagnosed- generalized juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. Completely stopped my sons seizures, he is only 14 years old.”

Candler December 10, 2011

“Been using this a short while and it apparently works for me. ”

Sulleninspire July 26, 2011

“On maximum dose with Keppra, and still having some break through seizures. Still less then I was having before. No side effects. Had a full term pregnancy while on medication. Baby is very healthy.”

steph1010 July 4, 2011

“I have recently been on Topamax and Keppra..both maxed out. My headaches were worst and my seizures were still happening. My doctor finally switched me to Zonagran 3 months ago. I am seizure free, headaches have been much better and I feel a lot more normal. I do have a low appetite but not to where I can't eat. I love it!”

Anonymous July 12, 2010

“The medication wasn't helpful in controlling my seizures. It's been about five months and I have had painful migraines just about every day! One day we'll find one that works!”