User Reviews for Zonisamide

Also known as: Zonegran

Zonisamide Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Zonisamide to treat Migraine Prevention

"I was put on Zonegran for Back issues, I was in so much pain with discs out of place in my upper and lower back that I honestly thought I had cancer, I am a Breast Cancer Survivor and when this pain hit I started looking for answers and started seeing doctors, the doctors including my oncologist ran tests and they came out normal. I was referred to a neurologist and he ran tests only to find out the problem was my back and my options were surgery or meds, this medication, causes brain fog and hair loss and sometimes I can’t find my words, It can also cause UTI’s if you don’t drink enough water, for the hair loss add vitamin b6 100mg a day it helped me! I take 400 mg a day and 200 mg of topiramate for the last 3 years and have lost over 100 pounds so then there’s that"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 13, 2018

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I just turned 19 and I've seen 3 neurologists, 4 neurosurgeons, and a epileptic specialist all in the last 6 months. None of them can really tell me what’s wrong with me but Zonegran has helped a lot with the hard hitting headaches. I still get dull “I can feel it” headaches almost everyday but nothing compared what I used to get. I don’t get any major side effects, sometimes I slur or jumble worlds but I can recover them quickly, if I take it on an empty stomach my thought process is cloudy but nothing major. Also, I was normal weight before but I’ve lost 15 pounds since I started this medication 3 months ago."

Holly19 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2018

"No effect on my migraines. First I got a blotchy rash on neck, then reg rash under my breasts and on bilat sides of my groin. If I don't use vaginal cream every 1-2 days, I touch cant hardly touch it with a washclboth. There is a clear drainage here. The rest of my body, especially my back itches like crazy. The ends of a lot of my fingers are split and they are painful. They have been like this for almost 2 months. My appetite is suppressed and I've lost some weight."

Goatie7219 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2018

"Migraines started after my hysterectomy in 2010. They have worsened since to the point now they are at least 3 times a week and debilitating. Was on several maintenance meds including topamax which worked for a while but always stopped working over time. The topamax worked over a year but caused horrible buzzing in my head, which neuro prescribed amitryptilline for. That did nothing lol. Eventually I began seeing an awesome neuro P.A. who started me on zonisamide 100 mg, then upped to 200 mg after a month cause headaches were creeping back. Just this week I had to call him again for the same reason plus the buzzing has started again....sigh. still, zonisamide does seem to work well. I just need the right dose."

FeverishDrmr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2017

"I feel ill on this drug. Headache, muscle aches, nausea, constipation, gait problems."

Lucyhipp (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2017

Zonegran (zonisamide): "The medication worked well to prevent migraines. However after one month of use I developed joint pain/swelling and a rash. It was determined I had drug induced lupus and the medication was discontinued."

Meemfelds (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

"Was diagnosed with Occipital Neuralgia and the pain was excruciating. 25 plus days a month in pain. Now taking 150mg Zonisamide and have been pain free for 21 days straight. First time in 3 years. So far not experienced any side effects."

Kathy K May 13, 2017

"I have tried everything in the book preventatively, but this is the 1st thing that's worked with the fewest side effects that I notice (I haven't noticed any of the brain fog or cognitive issues that I know if...but maybe I have them and just don't know, lol); I'm on 300 MG for a few years now- lost weight at first, which I didn't mind at all. But recently, every time there'a going to be rain in the forecast, I wake up with a migraine...I wake up, have a headache - check the weather and sure enough, there's rain today, so I take a concoction and lay back down til it goes away. I'm going back for my regular checkup next month and we're gonna have to discuss options coz I cannot manage life around the weather like this."

Ycatsms (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 30, 2017

Zonegran (zonisamide): "In the past, I had been given all types of medicines for migraine prevention and by far Zonegran has been THE BEST. I've had very few side effects that I can notice. The number of headaches that I normally have are decreased tremendously! I can really tell when I miss doses of the medication because the headaches come back full force but once I get the medicine in my system again, everything is all good! If you haven't tried Zonegran, PLEASE DO!"

HeadacheFree28 February 26, 2017

"I will be starting Zonisamide today. I've had migraines for over 30 yrs and tried every drug out there. Was on Topamax for many years but the side effects were terrible. I'm a little nervous to start this drug because it's in the same class of meds but I'll give it a try.! My neurologist also wants me to add in Nortriptyline in a month. Has anyone taken this combo??"

Lglo February 7, 2017

"I was prescribed Zonisamide and took it for about 5 weeks before I was diagnosed with DRESS Syndrome (severe drug reaction). I landed in the hospital for a week and later was told to have drug induced Hepatitis after having experienced a rash, itching, fever, high liver enzymes, triple levels of bilirubin, loss of Magnesium and Potassium, and severe upper quadrant pain. The treating physicians sought the assistance of other specialists, being that they were extremely concerned and had never seen such a bad drug reaction. I'm told that my liver will recover, only they are not able to anticipate how long it will take. It's been two weeks since I was taken off this drug and I'm still experiencing the issues mentioned above."

EriR December 8, 2016

Zonegran (zonisamide): "Well it all started with dizzy spells that got so bad I couldn't even stand up. I was in the hospital for almost 24hr. They had no idea what was wrong. They suggested I see a neurologest ASAP. After making the appointment to see who they suggested, I wouldn't be able to see them for 4months. So I reached out to my family. They said to see a headache specialist. That sounded crazy to me at first. After meeting this new Doctor the same day I called him. He put me on Topamax I believe it was called, which I had almost every side effect from. So he decided to put me on zonegran small doses and work my way up. This medicine is amazing. I have no side effects at all and no more migraines for about a year now."

Tara h. December 8, 2016

Zonegran (zonisamide): "For Migraine Prevention Ive tried amitriptyline, Imitrex, propranolol ,Fioricet & Topamax and for a while and they worked but the side effects were insane. However, the zonesamide works very well for preventing my migraines. I take 300 mg a day. Word finding and memory, I don't even know what those are anymore. However, I was living in constant pain. Nothing was working for me. This is the only thing that has done anything for me in quite some time, so do I walk around with a child like mind or not be able to get out of bed because of the pounding migraines?!?"

Brittani31 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 29, 2016

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I have been taking 100 mg of Zonegran daily for about a month, and have noticed a reduction in the amount and severity of my migraines."

Migrainemiss August 21, 2016

"I've had migraine since I was 11. No preventative had ever worked. We do control the a symptomatic inter cranial pressure with acetazamide 250 mg 2/day. Recently my imatrix started causing rebounds and my monthly migraine totals shot up from 6-8 shot worthy (where the migraine causes a dark spot in the white matter in my brain) /month to 15-20 and I am living off of excedrine migraine. Neuro put me on this to be preventative. I've noticed little to no difference and am finding I'm gaining weight and am fighting depression and hopelessness when I'm alone. Neuro wants to up dosage to 400 mg /day but I don't think I can handle that. On a side note in order to try to get off meds in going to look into the implants because I can't maintain this"

Jenn C (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2016

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I took 300mg of zonegran for nearly 2 years. It worked really well to prevent my migraines at the start--it was like a dream come true. I did experience appetite reduction and weight loss, but I put it back on after about a year. The negative side effects were extreme for me over time. First, my depression got much worse. That could have been external factors, but the time that I started taking Zonegran and the severe increase in my symptoms match. Also, after some time, I noticed my cognitive function was severely inhibited. I was in graduate school at the time and began failing classes, slurring my words when 100% sober, and unable to remember things. When I went off, my migraines returned severely, especially period and allergy migraines"

BLove01 March 18, 2016

"Have suffered with headache/migraines for 22 years and have tried many meds. Tried Topamax a couple different times and finally had to get off it for some of the side effects and it really kinda stopped working for me. On dose 200 mg of Zonisamide and seems to have decreased the frequency and the severity of my migraines. Have noticed a bit of a loss of appetite at this current dose and thirsty and dry mouth. All in all happy so far with my current situation."

Alohawally (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

"I started having daily migraines Sept. 2014. Topiramax (can't spell anymore). from primary MD. No improvement. Saw neurologist Dec. 2014. started on Zonisamide. 50mg. built up to 150mg. was having about 28 migraines pre meds. Decreased to about 22. for a few months. Then decreased to 14-18 per mo. summer of 2015. Took Pt. end of summer and headaches increased to upper 20s again. MRI done in summer showed Spinal Stenosis but no severe enough to warrant surgery. Dosage of Zonisamide increased to 250 mg. did not help so Neuro. decreased it back to 150mg. pain became more severe and every day. At present am on 200 mg. and to go up to 250 mg. next week. Still with migraines every day. Getting 2nd set of spinal injections with steroids tomorrow."

sissie67 February 17, 2016

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I was taking 6-8 Excedrine Migraine daily to control my headaches. I saw a neurologist and was put on Zonegram. It took 1 month to build up to 100 mg per day. I was headache free after 2 months and have been that way for 3 months now. I will step down from the pills in 6 months. No side affects for me at all ."

James_D (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

"It has stopped my migraines for almost a year. I've lost weight and muscle stone, my appetite has gone."

gritsnluvn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 29, 2015

"My migraines started suddenly at age 52 have no idea why. I have tried several different medicine including topomax I am now taking 400 mg zanisamide as first preventive and starting another new medicine this next week to see if it will help the head pain. I get daily migraines scale 3 -5 on a average and can increase at anytime through the day to 6-7 at which time I have to take a treximet or wait to see if it passes, sleep, ice quite what ever I can do till it goes away. I have also tried botox that didn't work either"

Bluwillow September 26, 2015

"I'm taking this as a last resort, have tried every med out there. Next stop is a Clinic in September. Have had migraines for more than 50 yrs."

For the sake of headaches July 26, 2015

"I am up to 200mg a day. The only problems I have is, some loss of appetite; which I definitely don't mind. And I get a little upset tummy every now and then. All in I feel fine, my memory is fine, & I'm just glad I can live a normal life pain free! My last migraine was during my dosage increase @ 175mg. Hopefully its smooth sailing from here."

msqui45 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 23, 2015

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I have been given many different diagnosis (Hemicrania continua, primary trochlear headache, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia) currently I have migrainous type chronic headache with Atypical Facial Pain. I was on 300 mg Topamax with a bunch of other stuff and this helped, but I couldn't add 2 2. It was like north pole magnets coming together. Now I have been on 200mg Zonisamide (Zonegran) for about 2 years and I have a 50% reduction in pain. As for cognitive impairment, I can live with the loss of spelling and reduced vocabulary. It's not that bad compared to either the pain or Topamax."

Steve_pain November 26, 2014

"Switched from Topamax 15 mg to Zanisamide 50 mg for 1 1/2 month. Had one migraine so far. Very bad upset stomach, acid, and burping sensation. Will hold on a little longer to see. Topamax made me lose hair. Foggy memory from both medicines."

seeking4solution (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2014