User Reviews for Zonisamide to treat Migraine Prevention

Also known as: Zonegran

Zonisamide has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 39 ratings for the treatment of Migraine Prevention. 36% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Zonisamide Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 59 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Zonisamide

Still Looking January 4, 2012

Zonegran (zonisamide): “I've been taking Zonegran for a few years now at 300mg per day. It had really gotten my headaches under control to where I would only have a headache periodically. Weight loss has been a side effect that I haven't minded. The problem is I've had significant memory and focus issues. I hardly felt competent most of the time. I have slowly weened myself down to 100mgs per day (I notified my neurologist of this because its an anti-seizure medicine so you shouldn't stop it cold turkey or it could cause a seizure). My memory has improved significantly, but the headaches have returned with a vengeance. I'm back to taking narcotics to address each debilitating headache. I used to take Topamax. It too worked beautifully, but also wiped out the memory.”

Tara h. December 8, 2016

Zonegran (zonisamide): “Well it all started with dizzy spells that got so bad I couldn't even stand up. I was in the hospital for almost 24hr. They had no idea what was wrong. They suggested I see a neurologest ASAP. After making the appointment to see who they suggested, I wouldn't be able to see them for 4months. So I reached out to my family. They said to see a headache specialist. That sounded crazy to me at first. After meeting this new Doctor the same day I called him. He put me on Topamax I believe it was called, which I had almost every side effect from. So he decided to put me on zonegran small doses and work my way up. This medicine is amazing. I have no side effects at all and no more migraines for about a year now.”

What memory January 12, 2014

Zonegran (zonisamide): “I took Topamax for a while and it worked wonders but the side effects were insane. However, the zonesamide works very well for preventing my migraines. I take 400 mg a day. Word finding and memory, I don't even know what those are anymore. However, I was living in constant pain. Nothing was working for me. This is the only thing that has done anything for me in years.”

Zonegran User March 30, 2011

Zonegran (zonisamide): “I have used Zonegran for headaches only. It is the only thing that seems to have lessened them somewhat, but I still have headaches and they affect me cognitively. I'm mentally slower, have word-finding problems, my memory is bad, and my attention is terrible. I've tried to go off it on occasion, but my headaches get absolutely awful, so I stay on it.”

James_D · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2016

Zonegran (zonisamide): “I was taking 6-8 Excedrine Migraine daily to control my headaches. I saw a neurologist and was put on Zonegram. It took 1 month to build up to 100 mg per day. I was headache free after 2 months and have been that way for 3 months now. I will step down from the pills in 6 months. No side affects for me at all .”

Steve_pain November 26, 2014

Zonegran (zonisamide): “I have been given many different diagnosis (Hemicrania continua, primary trochlear headache, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia) currently I have migrainous type chronic headache with Atypical Facial Pain. I was on 300 mg Topamax with a bunch of other stuff and this helped, but I couldn't add 2 2. It was like north pole magnets coming together. Now I have been on 200mg Zonisamide (Zonegran) for about 2 years and I have a 50% reduction in pain. As for cognitive impairment, I can live with the loss of spelling and reduced vocabulary. It's not that bad compared to either the pain or Topamax.”

BLove01 March 18, 2016

Zonegran (zonisamide): “I took 300mg of zonegran for nearly 2 years. It worked really well to prevent my migraines at the start--it was like a dream come true. I did experience appetite reduction and weight loss, but I put it back on after about a year. The negative side effects were extreme for me over time. First, my depression got much worse. That could have been external factors, but the time that I started taking Zonegran and the severe increase in my symptoms match. Also, after some time, I noticed my cognitive function was severely inhibited. I was in graduate school at the time and began failing classes, slurring my words when 100% sober, and unable to remember things. When I went off, my migraines returned severely, especially period and allergy migraines”

HeadacheFree28 February 26, 2017

Zonegran (zonisamide): “In the past, I had been given all types of medicines for migraine prevention and by far Zonegran has been THE BEST. I've had very few side effects that I can notice. The number of headaches that I normally have are decreased tremendously! I can really tell when I miss doses of the medication because the headaches come back full force but once I get the medicine in my system again, everything is all good! If you haven't tried Zonegran, PLEASE DO!”

Brittani31 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 29, 2016

Zonegran (zonisamide): “For Migraine Prevention Ive tried amitriptyline, Imitrex, propranolol ,Fioricet & Topamax and for a while and they worked but the side effects were insane. However, the zonesamide works very well for preventing my migraines. I take 300 mg a day. Word finding and memory, I don't even know what those are anymore. However, I was living in constant pain. Nothing was working for me. This is the only thing that has done anything for me in quite some time, so do I walk around with a child like mind or not be able to get out of bed because of the pounding migraines?!?”

Migrainemandy · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 29, 2013

“I started having migraines suddenly two years after the birth of my first and only child. Sought help from a Neurologist eventually when anti-depressants prescribed by my family practice Dr didn't work. My Neuro doctor started me out on Topamax first, which I had terrible side effects from: word recall was awful and I felt paranoid and edgy all the time. Zonisamide has been a game changer. So far limited side effects: some dizziness - not bad, rash on my upper arm - not a big deal. I'll take this in exchange for the life altering migraines that pretty much shut me down any day!”

msqui45 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 23, 2015

“I am up to 200mg a day. The only problems I have is, some loss of appetite; which I definitely don't mind. And I get a little upset tummy every now and then. All in I feel fine, my memory is fine, & I'm just glad I can live a normal life pain free! My last migraine was during my dosage increase @ 175mg. Hopefully its smooth sailing from here.”

Peggy8161 · Taken for 10 years or more April 16, 2019

“I have been on zonisamide for years in combination with an antidepressant and betablocker (propranolol). Before this I was having 20 or more migraines a month with trouble word finding, memory, and focus- concentration. The first neurologist took me as far as he could on the AEDs and migraine rescues as he could. I took Topamax, depakote, Elavil, dilantin, fromig, maxault, imitrex, you name it. Either they were no help, just a few times, or some unacceptable side effects. I had a total of 50 lbs weight gain over ten years that I couldn't lose. Zonisamide was the first drug I felt I could really be a human being!”

Chris · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2021

Zonegran (zonisamide): “Zonegran (zonisamide) did ease my chronic migraine but about 10 days after starting 100mg/day, I developed 'acute myopia,' which means I essentially lost my vision over the course of about 24 hours. Thankfully my vision returned a few days after stopping the drug. An ophthalmologist examined me and there is no long-term damage. If you try Zonegran, please watch for changes to your vision and call your doctor immediately should you notice any changes at all.”

EriR December 8, 2016

“I was prescribed Zonisamide and took it for about 5 weeks before I was diagnosed with DRESS Syndrome (severe drug reaction). I landed in the hospital for a week and later was told to have drug induced Hepatitis after having experienced a rash, itching, fever, high liver enzymes, triple levels of bilirubin, loss of Magnesium and Potassium, and severe upper quadrant pain. The treating physicians sought the assistance of other specialists, being that they were extremely concerned and had never seen such a bad drug reaction. I'm told that my liver will recover, only they are not able to anticipate how long it will take. It's been two weeks since I was taken off this drug and I'm still experiencing the issues mentioned above.”

Kathy K May 13, 2017

“Was diagnosed with Occipital Neuralgia and the pain was excruciating. 25 plus days a month in pain. Now taking 150mg Zonisamide and have been pain free for 21 days straight. First time in 3 years. So far not experienced any side effects.”

bobbi28 · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2013

“I did experience some appetite loss at 1st, which was OK because I wanted to loss about 5 pounds-but I started gaining weight, face was puffy, while eating very little and no decrease in exercise. The worst, however, was the onset of depression and feeling of hopelessness. I was up to 100 mg a day, on it for 2-3 weeks, and stopped cold turkey. Taking Topamax, years ago, did help with headaches and I lost weight (actually too much in beginning but body adjusted) but I also lost word facility. Not good trade off so I had to go off Topamax. Help!”

Meemfelds · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2017

Zonegran (zonisamide): “The medication worked well to prevent migraines. However after one month of use I developed joint pain/swelling and a rash. It was determined I had drug induced lupus and the medication was discontinued.”

Alohawally · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2016

“Have suffered with headache/migraines for 22 years and have tried many meds. Tried Topamax a couple different times and finally had to get off it for some of the side effects and it really kinda stopped working for me. On dose 200 mg of Zonisamide and seems to have decreased the frequency and the severity of my migraines. Have noticed a bit of a loss of appetite at this current dose and thirsty and dry mouth. All in all happy so far with my current situation.”

seeking4solution · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2014

“Switched from Topamax 15 mg to Zanisamide 50 mg for 1 1/2 month. Had one migraine so far. Very bad upset stomach, acid, and burping sensation. Will hold on a little longer to see. Topamax made me lose hair. Foggy memory from both medicines.”

Sarah · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 3, 2020

Zonegran (zonisamide): “I woke up one day with a feeling that I was rocking in a boat, severe head pressure, and nausea. This lasted 3 months until my neurologist prescribed this medication for migraines. It made me feel like I could live my life again. I do get a little forgetful on it but it is worth it to not have my migraines and constant dizziness.”

TBrowne · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2019

“I took this medication after numerous failed attempts to control my chronic daily migraines with other medications. I started at 25 mg and was eventually suppose to be on 200 mg. I never went beyond 100 mg. By week three (at 75 mg) I was so nauseous that I could rarely eat more than a bite of food. I was also an emotional wreck. I would go from being irritable to crying uncontrollably in minutes. The night I took the first 100 mg dose, I began vomiting within 30 mins. After an hour of constant vomiting, I fell asleep for 12 hours. It took days to feel better - exhausted, nauseous, depressed. My family called it “ the medicine that makes you sick”. This is NOT the medication for me.”

Holly19 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2018

Zonegran (zonisamide): “I just turned 19 and I've seen 3 neurologists, 4 neurosurgeons, and a epileptic specialist all in the last 6 months. None of them can really tell me what’s wrong with me but Zonegran has helped a lot with the hard hitting headaches. I still get dull “I can feel it” headaches almost everyday but nothing compared what I used to get. I don’t get any major side effects, sometimes I slur or jumble worlds but I can recover them quickly, if I take it on an empty stomach my thought process is cloudy but nothing major. Also, I was normal weight before but I’ve lost 15 pounds since I started this medication 3 months ago.”

Rob · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 30, 2020

“I've had severe chronic migraines for the last 11 years, age 62 now. I've tried just about everything, Imitrex with Naproxen worked best and had the least side effects. My Neurologist took my off Levetiracetam because it wasn't working as a prophylaxis and put me on Zonisamide. He's starting me at 50 mg and I have noticed a decrease in severity and duration of the migraines, but not a decrease in quantity so far. I don't have any motor side effects, but I've lost 12 lbs. so far and I can't really afford to lose any weight. If it continues, I'll have to stop as I am now at 157 lbs as a 5'11'' man.”

Ycatsms · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 30, 2017

“I have tried everything in the book preventatively, but this is the 1st thing that's worked with the fewest side effects that I notice (I haven't noticed any of the brain fog or cognitive issues that I know if...but maybe I have them and just don't know, lol); I'm on 300 MG for a few years now- lost weight at first, which I didn't mind at all. But recently, every time there'a going to be rain in the forecast, I wake up with a migraine...I wake up, have a headache - check the weather and sure enough, there's rain today, so I take a concoction and lay back down til it goes away. I'm going back for my regular checkup next month and we're gonna have to discuss options coz I cannot manage life around the weather like this.”

Charly · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2021

“Took zonisamide 50mg/day for 30 days, for vestibular migraine. Took away my appetite. Went from 118 to 107lbs, and counting. I also had side effects of insomnia, agitation, anxiety, full blown panic attacks. I do not feel like myself! Told my doc and she said to stop the zonisamide. 5 days off, and praying my body will recover. This stuff is awful.”