User Reviews for Zonisamide

Also known as: Zonegran

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Zonisamide.

Zonisamide Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Zonisamide to treat Migraine Prevention

Zonegran (zonisamide): "The medication worked well to prevent migraines. However after one month of use I developed joint pain/swelling and a rash. It was determined I had drug induced lupus and the medication was discontinued."

Meemfelds (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was diagnosed with Occipital Neuralgia and the pain was excruciating. 25 plus days a month in pain. Now taking 150mg Zonisamide and have been pain free for 21 days straight. First time in 3 years. So far not experienced any side effects."

Kathy K May 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have tried everything in the book preventatively, but this is the 1st thing that's worked with the fewest side effects that I notice (I haven't noticed any of the brain fog or cognitive issues that I know if...but maybe I have them and just don't know, lol); I'm on 300 MG for a few years now- lost weight at first, which I didn't mind at all. But recently, every time there'a going to be rain in the forecast, I wake up with a migraine...I wake up, have a headache - check the weather and sure enough, there's rain today, so I take a concoction and lay back down til it goes away. I'm going back for my regular checkup next month and we're gonna have to discuss options coz I cannot manage life around the weather like this."

Ycatsms (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zonegran (zonisamide): "In the past, I had been given all types of medicines for migraine prevention and by far Zonegran has been THE BEST. I've had very few side effects that I can notice. The number of headaches that I normally have are decreased tremendously! I can really tell when I miss doses of the medication because the headaches come back full force but once I get the medicine in my system again, everything is all good! If you haven't tried Zonegran, PLEASE DO!"

HeadacheFree28 February 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I will be starting Zonisamide today. I've had migraines for over 30 yrs and tried every drug out there. Was on Topamax for many years but the side effects were terrible. I'm a little nervous to start this drug because it's in the same class of meds but I'll give it a try.! My neurologist also wants me to add in Nortriptyline in a month. Has anyone taken this combo??"

Lglo February 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Zonisamide and took it for about 5 weeks before I was diagnosed with DRESS Syndrome (severe drug reaction). I landed in the hospital for a week and later was told to have drug induced Hepatitis after having experienced a rash, itching, fever, high liver enzymes, triple levels of bilirubin, loss of Magnesium and Potassium, and severe upper quadrant pain. The treating physicians sought the assistance of other specialists, being that they were extremely concerned and had never seen such a bad drug reaction. I'm told that my liver will recover, only they are not able to anticipate how long it will take. It's been two weeks since I was taken off this drug and I'm still experiencing the issues mentioned above."

EriR December 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zonegran (zonisamide): "Well it all started with dizzy spells that got so bad I couldn't even stand up. I was in the hospital for almost 24hr. They had no idea what was wrong. They suggested I see a neurologest ASAP. After making the appointment to see who they suggested, I wouldn't be able to see them for 4months. So I reached out to my family. They said to see a headache specialist. That sounded crazy to me at first. After meeting this new Doctor the same day I called him. He put me on Topamax I believe it was called, which I had almost every side effect from. So he decided to put me on zonegran small doses and work my way up. This medicine is amazing. I have no side effects at all and no more migraines for about a year now."

Tara h. December 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zonegran (zonisamide): "For Migraine Prevention Ive tried amitriptyline, Imitrex, propranolol ,Fioricet & Topamax and for a while and they worked but the side effects were insane. However, the zonesamide works very well for preventing my migraines. I take 300 mg a day. Word finding and memory, I don't even know what those are anymore. However, I was living in constant pain. Nothing was working for me. This is the only thing that has done anything for me in quite some time, so do I walk around with a child like mind or not be able to get out of bed because of the pounding migraines?!?"

Brittani31 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I have been taking 100 mg of Zonegran daily for about a month, and have noticed a reduction in the amount and severity of my migraines."

Migrainemiss August 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had migraine since I was 11. No preventative had ever worked. We do control the a symptomatic inter cranial pressure with acetazamide 250 mg 2/day. Recently my imatrix started causing rebounds and my monthly migraine totals shot up from 6-8 shot worthy (where the migraine causes a dark spot in the white matter in my brain) /month to 15-20 and I am living off of excedrine migraine. Neuro put me on this to be preventative. I've noticed little to no difference and am finding I'm gaining weight and am fighting depression and hopelessness when I'm alone. Neuro wants to up dosage to 400 mg /day but I don't think I can handle that. On a side note in order to try to get off meds in going to look into the implants because I can't maintain this"

Jenn C (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I took 300mg of zonegran for nearly 2 years. It worked really well to prevent my migraines at the start--it was like a dream come true. I did experience appetite reduction and weight loss, but I put it back on after about a year. The negative side effects were extreme for me over time. First, my depression got much worse. That could have been external factors, but the time that I started taking Zonegran and the severe increase in my symptoms match. Also, after some time, I noticed my cognitive function was severely inhibited. I was in graduate school at the time and began failing classes, slurring my words when 100% sober, and unable to remember things. When I went off, my migraines returned severely, especially period and allergy migraines"

BLove01 March 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have suffered with headache/migraines for 22 years and have tried many meds. Tried Topamax a couple different times and finally had to get off it for some of the side effects and it really kinda stopped working for me. On dose 200 mg of Zonisamide and seems to have decreased the frequency and the severity of my migraines. Have noticed a bit of a loss of appetite at this current dose and thirsty and dry mouth. All in all happy so far with my current situation."

Alohawally (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started having daily migraines Sept. 2014. Topiramax (can't spell anymore). from primary MD. No improvement. Saw neurologist Dec. 2014. started on Zonisamide. 50mg. built up to 150mg. was having about 28 migraines pre meds. Decreased to about 22. for a few months. Then decreased to 14-18 per mo. summer of 2015. Took Pt. end of summer and headaches increased to upper 20s again. MRI done in summer showed Spinal Stenosis but no severe enough to warrant surgery. Dosage of Zonisamide increased to 250 mg. did not help so Neuro. decreased it back to 150mg. pain became more severe and every day. At present am on 200 mg. and to go up to 250 mg. next week. Still with migraines every day. Getting 2nd set of spinal injections with steroids tomorrow."

sissie67 February 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I was taking 6-8 Excedrine Migraine daily to control my headaches. I saw a neurologist and was put on Zonegram. It took 1 month to build up to 100 mg per day. I was headache free after 2 months and have been that way for 3 months now. I will step down from the pills in 6 months. No side affects for me at all ."

James_D (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It has stopped my migraines for almost a year. I've lost weight and muscle stone, my appetite has gone."

gritsnluvn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 29, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My migraines started suddenly at age 52 have no idea why. I have tried several different medicine including topomax I am now taking 400 mg zanisamide as first preventive and starting another new medicine this next week to see if it will help the head pain. I get daily migraines scale 3 -5 on a average and can increase at anytime through the day to 6-7 at which time I have to take a treximet or wait to see if it passes, sleep, ice quite what ever I can do till it goes away. I have also tried botox that didn't work either"

Bluwillow September 26, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm taking this as a last resort, have tried every med out there. Next stop is a Clinic in September. Have had migraines for more than 50 yrs."

For the sake of headaches July 26, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am up to 200mg a day. The only problems I have is, some loss of appetite; which I definitely don't mind. And I get a little upset tummy every now and then. All in I feel fine, my memory is fine, & I'm just glad I can live a normal life pain free! My last migraine was during my dosage increase @ 175mg. Hopefully its smooth sailing from here."

msqui45 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 23, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I have been given many different diagnosis (Hemicrania continua, primary trochlear headache, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia) currently I have migrainous type chronic headache with Atypical Facial Pain. I was on 300 mg Topamax with a bunch of other stuff and this helped, but I couldn't add 2 2. It was like north pole magnets coming together. Now I have been on 200mg Zonisamide (Zonegran) for about 2 years and I have a 50% reduction in pain. As for cognitive impairment, I can live with the loss of spelling and reduced vocabulary. It's not that bad compared to either the pain or Topamax."

Steve_pain November 26, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Switched from Topamax 15 mg to Zanisamide 50 mg for 1 1/2 month. Had one migraine so far. Very bad upset stomach, acid, and burping sensation. Will hold on a little longer to see. Topamax made me lose hair. Foggy memory from both medicines."

seeking4solution (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I took Topamax for a while and it worked wonders but the side effects were insane. However, the zonesamide works very well for preventing my migraines. I take 400 mg a day. Word finding and memory, I don't even know what those are anymore. However, I was living in constant pain. Nothing was working for me. This is the only thing that has done anything for me in years."

What memory January 12, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started having migraines suddenly two years after the birth of my first and only child. Sought help from a Neurologist eventually when anti-depressants prescribed by my family practice Dr didn't work. My Neuro doctor started me out on Topamax first, which I had terrible side effects from: word recall was awful and I felt paranoid and edgy all the time. Zonisamide has been a game changer. So far limited side effects: some dizziness - not bad, rash on my upper arm - not a big deal. I'll take this in exchange for the life altering migraines that pretty much shut me down any day!"

Migrainemandy (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 29, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I did experience some appetite loss at 1st, which was OK because I wanted to loss about 5 pounds-but I started gaining weight, face was puffy, while eating very little and no decrease in exercise. The worst, however, was the onset of depression and feeling of hopelessness. I was up to 100 mg a day, on it for 2-3 weeks, and stopped cold turkey. Taking Topamax, years ago, did help with headaches and I lost weight (actually too much in beginning but body adjusted) but I also lost word facility. Not good trade off so I had to go off Topamax. Help!"

bobbi28 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I don't notice any side effects compared to some of the other anti-seizure medicines."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have chronic headaches (>15 per month) and tried many treatments that did not help: Botox, Topamax, and others. With zonisamide my headaches are mostly limited to just the week before my period."

Anonymous April 12, 2012