User Reviews for Zonisamide

Also known as: Zonegran

Learn more about Zonisamide.

Seizures 34 reviews 48 medications

7.1
Migraine Prevention 21 reviews 30 medications

6.7
Benign Essential Tremor 2 reviews 3 medications

5.5
Summary of Zonisamide reviews 57 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Zonisamide

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Migraine Prevention: "I have been taking 100 mg of Zonegran daily for about a month, and have noticed a reduction in the amount and severity of my migraines."

Migrainemiss August 21, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had migraine since I was 11. No preventative had ever worked. We do control the a symptomatic inter cranial pressure with acetazamide 250 mg 2/day. Recently my imatrix started causing rebounds and my monthly migraine totals shot up from 6-8 shot worthy (where the migraine causes a dark spot in the white matter in my brain) /month to 15-20 and I am living off of excedrine migraine. Neuro put me on this to be preventative. I've noticed little to no difference and am finding I'm gaining weight and am fighting depression and hopelessness when I'm alone. Neuro wants to up dosage to 400 mg /day but I don't think I can handle that. On a side note in order to try to get off meds in going to look into the implants because I can't maintain this"

Jenn C (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2016

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "This is one of the worst AEDs I've tried over the past 41+ years since surviving Reyes. It caused hostility, agitation, nervousness, restless legs syndrome, suicidal thoughts, and made me so impulsive that I requested an early retirement from a position paying about $104k per year. I probably would have not gone for retirement if the effects of the med had not been there. To top things off it gave me gingival hyperplasia so my front teeth are ruined, gum overgrowth is worse than it has been while on any of the other 24 meds I've been given. Intractable epilepsy is tough but this med might help persons who haven't had trauma or brain surgery. FDA and the maker FAILED to warn me about this. I got off of it."

stex July 3, 2016

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "I first took it in 1984 as part of the study. It was so, so, didn't work sufficiently and the epileptologist took me off of it for fear of kidney stones impacting a teenager. When having major problems with Onfi and having tried 25+ meds over the past 41+ years I thought I'd see if Zonegran was improved. A physician at Georgetown University in DC failed, like FDA, to proved information stating that the med can make a person who has had trauma and/or brain surgery go into orbit. It controlled seizures a few months, made me do impulsive things like request retirement from a position paying over $104k/year. It made me hostile, nervous, go nuts, and elevated my Dilantin level, caused gingival hyperplasia so my teeth are painful and ruined."

Bruan June 30, 2016

For Seizures: "Seizure free for over 2 years on Glenmark's Zonisamide. It would be closer to 5 years but the pharmacy switched to another supplier and I had 2 seizures and ended up in the hospital. I do at times have some brief dizziness and notice that I don't sweat as much but these are light side effects given some of the brain numbing comatose side effects of other drugs that I have tried."

Harvest#19 June 13, 2016

For Seizures: "I had my first seizure at age 56. Reason still unknown. The doctors had a terrible time getting them under control. My husband and I didn't know what was going on. Zonisamide gave me back my life! I had some side effects at first, but they passed after about a month. The side effects I had were drowsiness and a feeling of confusion....but all of this passed. Then things slowly got back to normal. Now I have been on the Zonisamide for 3 years and have been seizure free...completely....for 2 years. This is a good med. It saved me."

Grandmalemcool April 27, 2016

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Benign Essential Tremor: "No help! My hand and head still shake. I have a headache, nausea, and vomiting II never had. My face is red. I have no energy and have to push myself to do things. This is not me!"

Anonymous April 3, 2016

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Migraine Prevention: "I took 300mg of zonegran for nearly 2 years. It worked really well to prevent my migraines at the start--it was like a dream come true. I did experience appetite reduction and weight loss, but I put it back on after about a year. The negative side effects were extreme for me over time. First, my depression got much worse. That could have been external factors, but the time that I started taking Zonegran and the severe increase in my symptoms match. Also, after some time, I noticed my cognitive function was severely inhibited. I was in graduate school at the time and began failing classes, slurring my words when 100% sober, and unable to remember things. When I went off, my migraines returned severely, especially period and allergy migraines"

BLove01 March 18, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Have suffered with headache/migraines for 22 years and have tried many meds. Tried Topamax a couple different times and finally had to get off it for some of the side effects and it really kinda stopped working for me. On dose 200 mg of Zonisamide and seems to have decreased the frequency and the severity of my migraines. Have noticed a bit of a loss of appetite at this current dose and thirsty and dry mouth. All in all happy so far with my current situation."

Alohawally (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I started having daily migraines Sept. 2014. Topiramax (can't spell anymore). from primary MD. No improvement. Saw neurologist Dec. 2014. started on Zonisamide. 50mg. built up to 150mg. was having about 28 migraines pre meds. Decreased to about 22. for a few months. Then decreased to 14-18 per mo. summer of 2015. Took Pt. end of summer and headaches increased to upper 20s again. MRI done in summer showed Spinal Stenosis but no severe enough to warrant surgery. Dosage of Zonisamide increased to 250 mg. did not help so Neuro. decreased it back to 150mg. pain became more severe and every day. At present am on 200 mg. and to go up to 250 mg. next week. Still with migraines every day. Getting 2nd set of spinal injections with steroids tomorrow."

sissie67 February 17, 2016

For Seizures: "I'm currently on Lamictal 350mg. My neurologist, due to the cost is weaning me off this medication to Zonisamide 200mg. I previously had an EEG while on this medication. I had four seizures while in the hospital, and recently weaned myself off this medication. My neurologist is states, "I have never heard of a medication causing the seizures, but nevertheless I want you to stay on them cause they are helping you! I'm torn between a rock and a hard spot! I keep having seizures every month whether on these meds. or not, and my job is at stake. Don't know what to do!"

Waithe February 4, 2016

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Migraine Prevention: "I was taking 6-8 Excedrine Migraine daily to control my headaches. I saw a neurologist and was put on Zonegram. It took 1 month to build up to 100 mg per day. I was headache free after 2 months and have been that way for 3 months now. I will step down from the pills in 6 months. No side affects for me at all ."

James_D (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "I have taken Zonegran ( brand name only) for about 15 years I have been seizure free ALL 15 years. Prior to that I was on Topamax ( brand name only) I was seizure free 4 years I had one seizure in that time due to exposure to mold. Zonegran is the BEST medicine I have ever had. I do have word finding and short term memory issues that are frustrating and sometimes involuntary jerking of my limbs, as I'm trying to go to sleep. In all honesty, I would not use anything else. I don't have to worry about seizures. I just take the meds and live my life. So much so I am finally driving a car which is something I thought I would never do, because I didn't trust my meds!!"

Wildreign (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "It has stopped my migraines for almost a year. I've lost weight and muscle stone, my appetite has gone."

gritsnluvn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 29, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "My migraines started suddenly at age 52 have no idea why. I have tried several different medicine including topomax I am now taking 400 mg zanisamide as first preventive and starting another new medicine this next week to see if it will help the head pain. I get daily migraines scale 3 -5 on a average and can increase at anytime through the day to 6-7 at which time I have to take a treximet or wait to see if it passes, sleep, ice quite what ever I can do till it goes away. I have also tried botox that didn't work either"

Bluwillow September 26, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I'm taking this as a last resort, have tried every med out there. Next stop is a Clinic in September. Have had migraines for more than 50 yrs."

For the sake of headaches July 26, 2015

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Benign Essential Tremor: "Since I've started taking Zonegran I have not had ANY flare ups of tremors in my hands. No bad side effects however, one good one... It has helped me lose weight!"

Romauld July 7, 2015

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "I took the medicine for 17 years after I had A VNS implant for my seizure disorder, the brand name medicine I considered to have the most positive experience in removing them overall, as the generic brand names had all side affects to my body by giving more seizure's & head aces ."

Markus 1 June 26, 2015

For Seizures: "Had a brain tumor removed in 1988 and was on dilantin and phenobarbital for over 20 years. Got rushed to the hospital for what was thought to be a stroke and ended up being a seizure. My new Nuero Dr. put me on Keppra with phenobarbital, this worked great for about 5 years. Just got out of the hospital again because of a seizure and am now on 3,000 mg of keppra and 400 mg of zonisamide daily. At first, I had a hard time sleeping,only about an hour a day, my fault, as I read the prescription bottle wrong. I was suppose to take the Zonisamide once in the morning and here I was taking 200 mg in the morning and 200 mg at night. So far everything is fine as I am only on week 1 of my new dosage. My Dr. also wants me to lose weight, so this is it."

John G. June 22, 2015

For Seizures: "If looking like a meth user is your thing, while trying to become 'seizure free', then this is your drug. Horrible drug. Not sure how this drug even passed the FDA. Even my grandma thought I was doing street drugs. Yeah. Not cool. Good luck to all my bro's and sis's living with epilepsy out there."

My_Life June 20, 2015

For Seizures: "Have been seizure free for over 10 years now. Ever since my doc put me on zonegran. BUT there was a short time I was having bad migraines so he put me on Topamax (evil drug) caused me to have short term memory loss to the point that I was forgetting I was forgetting. Changed Doctors and back on Zonisamide and all is good. As for side effects I have daily fatigue and less of an appetite but who cares compared to one or more seizures daily."

livinnow (taken for 10 years or more) May 18, 2015

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "I have been on Zonisamide for 5 years. I've tried several other medications to control my seizures but always switched due to side effects (hair loss, depression etc.). Zonisamide works the best so far for me! I love it! I haven't had a seizure in 5 years and I'm very happy with my quality of life! The only setback is my memory, I have word-finding issues big time! It gets very frustrating when I can see the person or the thing and not say the word. I have a Bachelor's degree in English, so you can imagine how annoying that is! But I would choose Zonisamide over anything else for sure! :)"

JBuns April 20, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I am up to 200mg a day. The only problems I have is, some loss of appetite; which I definitely don't mind. And I get a little upset tummy every now and then. All in I feel fine, my memory is fine, & I'm just glad I can live a normal life pain free! My last migraine was during my dosage increase @ 175mg. Hopefully its smooth sailing from here."

msqui45 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 23, 2015

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Migraine Prevention: "I have been given many different diagnosis (Hemicrania continua, primary trochlear headache, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia) currently I have migrainous type chronic headache with Atypical Facial Pain. I was on 300 mg Topamax with a bunch of other stuff and this helped, but I couldn't add 2 2. It was like north pole magnets coming together. Now I have been on 200mg Zonisamide (Zonegran) for about 2 years and I have a 50% reduction in pain. As for cognitive impairment, I can live with the loss of spelling and reduced vocabulary. It's not that bad compared to either the pain or Topamax."

Steve_pain November 26, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "Switched from Topamax 15 mg to Zanisamide 50 mg for 1 1/2 month. Had one migraine so far. Very bad upset stomach, acid, and burping sensation. Will hold on a little longer to see. Topamax made me lose hair. Foggy memory from both medicines."

seeking4solution (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2014