User Reviews for Zonisamide

Also known as: Zonegran

Learn more about Zonisamide.

Seizures 37 reviews 49 medications

6.9
Migraine Prevention 29 reviews 29 medications

6.7
Benign Essential Tremor 3 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Zonisamide reviews 69 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Zonisamide

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Migraine Prevention: "The medication worked well to prevent migraines. However after one month of use I developed joint pain/swelling and a rash. It was determined I had drug induced lupus and the medication was discontinued."

Meemfelds (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "Was diagnosed with Occipital Neuralgia and the pain was excruciating. 25 plus days a month in pain. Now taking 150mg Zonisamide and have been pain free for 21 days straight. First time in 3 years. So far not experienced any side effects."

Kathy K May 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures: "Extreme Weight loss, tremors at night, increased seizures, loss of memory, shaking, panic attacks, loss of self-confidence, extreme depression."

RJbates9444 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "I have tried everything in the book preventatively, but this is the 1st thing that's worked with the fewest side effects that I notice (I haven't noticed any of the brain fog or cognitive issues that I know if...but maybe I have them and just don't know, lol); I'm on 300 MG for a few years now- lost weight at first, which I didn't mind at all. But recently, every time there'a going to be rain in the forecast, I wake up with a migraine...I wake up, have a headache - check the weather and sure enough, there's rain today, so I take a concoction and lay back down til it goes away. I'm going back for my regular checkup next month and we're gonna have to discuss options coz I cannot manage life around the weather like this."

Ycatsms (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 30, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Migraine Prevention: "In the past, I had been given all types of medicines for migraine prevention and by far Zonegran has been THE BEST. I've had very few side effects that I can notice. The number of headaches that I normally have are decreased tremendously! I can really tell when I miss doses of the medication because the headaches come back full force but once I get the medicine in my system again, everything is all good! If you haven't tried Zonegran, PLEASE DO!"

HeadacheFree28 February 26, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "I will be starting Zonisamide today. I've had migraines for over 30 yrs and tried every drug out there. Was on Topamax for many years but the side effects were terrible. I'm a little nervous to start this drug because it's in the same class of meds but I'll give it a try.! My neurologist also wants me to add in Nortriptyline in a month. Has anyone taken this combo??"

Lglo February 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "My shaking is well controlled but I don't like the side effects I have. I am positive the problems are drug related. I have facial pain, like a sinus pain, nasal burning, occasional headaches, lips and mouth tingle. I no longer have orgasms. I have low blood pressure so I couldn't take certain other medications. A couple others make me very nauseous. I decided to live with the side effects of zonisamide for now."

Mwagne (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures: "I'm currently on zonisamide (zonegran) I've been on it for years now to the point that it's doing nothing for my seizures and everything for my weight and mood that I don't want it to, I now suffer from not getting an appetite at all, my migraines are ridiculously painful to the point it sometimes makes nauseous or even vomit, I wish there's somethin someone could do to help!!!"

Jamie(Epilepsy Warrior) January 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures: "I've taken this drug approx 23 years. While it was appropriate at the time I began my health has changed making this drug dangerous. Renal failure, kidney stones & osteoarthritis are among the top reasons this isn't appropriate now. I know at the drug leaflet proclaims,"your doctor has decided the benefits outweigh the risk", BUT that's not his decision to make, my body-my decision! New Doctor!"

HoneyGram57 (taken for 10 years or more) December 19, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "I was prescribed Zonisamide and took it for about 5 weeks before I was diagnosed with DRESS Syndrome (severe drug reaction). I landed in the hospital for a week and later was told to have drug induced Hepatitis after having experienced a rash, itching, fever, high liver enzymes, triple levels of bilirubin, loss of Magnesium and Potassium, and severe upper quadrant pain. The treating physicians sought the assistance of other specialists, being that they were extremely concerned and had never seen such a bad drug reaction. I'm told that my liver will recover, only they are not able to anticipate how long it will take. It's been two weeks since I was taken off this drug and I'm still experiencing the issues mentioned above."

EriR December 8, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Migraine Prevention: "Well it all started with dizzy spells that got so bad I couldn't even stand up. I was in the hospital for almost 24hr. They had no idea what was wrong. They suggested I see a neurologest ASAP. After making the appointment to see who they suggested, I wouldn't be able to see them for 4months. So I reached out to my family. They said to see a headache specialist. That sounded crazy to me at first. After meeting this new Doctor the same day I called him. He put me on Topamax I believe it was called, which I had almost every side effect from. So he decided to put me on zonegran small doses and work my way up. This medicine is amazing. I have no side effects at all and no more migraines for about a year now."

Tara h. December 8, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Migraine Prevention: "For Migraine Prevention Ive tried amitriptyline, Imitrex, propranolol ,Fioricet & Topamax and for a while and they worked but the side effects were insane. However, the zonesamide works very well for preventing my migraines. I take 300 mg a day. Word finding and memory, I don't even know what those are anymore. However, I was living in constant pain. Nothing was working for me. This is the only thing that has done anything for me in quite some time, so do I walk around with a child like mind or not be able to get out of bed because of the pounding migraines?!?"

Brittani31 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 29, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Migraine Prevention: "I have been taking 100 mg of Zonegran daily for about a month, and have noticed a reduction in the amount and severity of my migraines."

Migrainemiss August 21, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had migraine since I was 11. No preventative had ever worked. We do control the a symptomatic inter cranial pressure with acetazamide 250 mg 2/day. Recently my imatrix started causing rebounds and my monthly migraine totals shot up from 6-8 shot worthy (where the migraine causes a dark spot in the white matter in my brain) /month to 15-20 and I am living off of excedrine migraine. Neuro put me on this to be preventative. I've noticed little to no difference and am finding I'm gaining weight and am fighting depression and hopelessness when I'm alone. Neuro wants to up dosage to 400 mg /day but I don't think I can handle that. On a side note in order to try to get off meds in going to look into the implants because I can't maintain this"

Jenn C (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "This is one of the worst AEDs I've tried over the past 41+ years since surviving Reyes. It caused hostility, agitation, nervousness, restless legs syndrome, suicidal thoughts, and made me so impulsive that I requested an early retirement from a position paying about $104k per year. I probably would have not gone for retirement if the effects of the med had not been there. To top things off it gave me gingival hyperplasia so my front teeth are ruined, gum overgrowth is worse than it has been while on any of the other 24 meds I've been given. Intractable epilepsy is tough but this med might help persons who haven't had trauma or brain surgery. FDA and the maker FAILED to warn me about this. I got off of it."

stex July 3, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "I first took it in 1984 as part of the study. It was so, so, didn't work sufficiently and the epileptologist took me off of it for fear of kidney stones impacting a teenager. When having major problems with Onfi and having tried 25+ meds over the past 41+ years I thought I'd see if Zonegran was improved. A physician at Georgetown University in DC failed, like FDA, to proved information stating that the med can make a person who has had trauma and/or brain surgery go into orbit. It controlled seizures a few months, made me do impulsive things like request retirement from a position paying over $104k/year. It made me hostile, nervous, go nuts, and elevated my Dilantin level, caused gingival hyperplasia so my teeth are painful and ruined."

Bruan June 30, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures: "Seizure free for over 2 years on Glenmark's Zonisamide. It would be closer to 5 years but the pharmacy switched to another supplier and I had 2 seizures and ended up in the hospital. I do at times have some brief dizziness and notice that I don't sweat as much but these are light side effects given some of the brain numbing comatose side effects of other drugs that I have tried."

Harvest#19 June 13, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures: "I had my first seizure at age 56. Reason still unknown. The doctors had a terrible time getting them under control. My husband and I didn't know what was going on. Zonisamide gave me back my life! I had some side effects at first, but they passed after about a month. The side effects I had were drowsiness and a feeling of confusion....but all of this passed. Then things slowly got back to normal. Now I have been on the Zonisamide for 3 years and have been seizure free...completely....for 2 years. This is a good med. It saved me."

Grandmalemcool April 27, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Benign Essential Tremor: "No help! My hand and head still shake. I have a headache, nausea, and vomiting II never had. My face is red. I have no energy and have to push myself to do things. This is not me!"

Anonymous April 3, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Migraine Prevention: "I took 300mg of zonegran for nearly 2 years. It worked really well to prevent my migraines at the start--it was like a dream come true. I did experience appetite reduction and weight loss, but I put it back on after about a year. The negative side effects were extreme for me over time. First, my depression got much worse. That could have been external factors, but the time that I started taking Zonegran and the severe increase in my symptoms match. Also, after some time, I noticed my cognitive function was severely inhibited. I was in graduate school at the time and began failing classes, slurring my words when 100% sober, and unable to remember things. When I went off, my migraines returned severely, especially period and allergy migraines"

BLove01 March 18, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "Have suffered with headache/migraines for 22 years and have tried many meds. Tried Topamax a couple different times and finally had to get off it for some of the side effects and it really kinda stopped working for me. On dose 200 mg of Zonisamide and seems to have decreased the frequency and the severity of my migraines. Have noticed a bit of a loss of appetite at this current dose and thirsty and dry mouth. All in all happy so far with my current situation."

Alohawally (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "I started having daily migraines Sept. 2014. Topiramax (can't spell anymore). from primary MD. No improvement. Saw neurologist Dec. 2014. started on Zonisamide. 50mg. built up to 150mg. was having about 28 migraines pre meds. Decreased to about 22. for a few months. Then decreased to 14-18 per mo. summer of 2015. Took Pt. end of summer and headaches increased to upper 20s again. MRI done in summer showed Spinal Stenosis but no severe enough to warrant surgery. Dosage of Zonisamide increased to 250 mg. did not help so Neuro. decreased it back to 150mg. pain became more severe and every day. At present am on 200 mg. and to go up to 250 mg. next week. Still with migraines every day. Getting 2nd set of spinal injections with steroids tomorrow."

sissie67 February 17, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures: "I'm currently on Lamictal 350mg. My neurologist, due to the cost is weaning me off this medication to Zonisamide 200mg. I previously had an EEG while on this medication. I had four seizures while in the hospital, and recently weaned myself off this medication. My neurologist is states, "I have never heard of a medication causing the seizures, but nevertheless I want you to stay on them cause they are helping you! I'm torn between a rock and a hard spot! I keep having seizures every month whether on these meds. or not, and my job is at stake. Don't know what to do!"

Waithe February 4, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Migraine Prevention: "I was taking 6-8 Excedrine Migraine daily to control my headaches. I saw a neurologist and was put on Zonegram. It took 1 month to build up to 100 mg per day. I was headache free after 2 months and have been that way for 3 months now. I will step down from the pills in 6 months. No side affects for me at all ."

James_D (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "I have taken Zonegran ( brand name only) for about 15 years I have been seizure free ALL 15 years. Prior to that I was on Topamax ( brand name only) I was seizure free 4 years I had one seizure in that time due to exposure to mold. Zonegran is the BEST medicine I have ever had. I do have word finding and short term memory issues that are frustrating and sometimes involuntary jerking of my limbs, as I'm trying to go to sleep. In all honesty, I would not use anything else. I don't have to worry about seizures. I just take the meds and live my life. So much so I am finally driving a car which is something I thought I would never do, because I didn't trust my meds!!"

Wildreign (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2016