User Reviews for Vilazodone

Also known as: Viibryd

Learn more about Vilazodone.

Depression 429 reviews 79 medications

5.7
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 4 reviews 11 medications

Summary of Vilazodone reviews 576 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Vilazodone

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been on & off antidepresants most my adult life & have tried many. Was just switched from celexa to viibryd about 1 month ago & it has been a living nightmare. This has by far been the worst med I have ever been on. I have been an emotional wreck & sick as hell. Nausea, dizzy, shaky, jittery, heart racing, weight gain, headaches, anger, crying & several more. I have actually had to pull my car off the road & sit because I was so sick. I can't think straight at all. Tried tapering down from 20mg to 15mg for a week & I felt like I was dying, so went back to 20mg. I feel like I belong in the mental ward. I see my Dr in a few days. Horrible drug, I do not recommend at all! Rather be depressed"

Shelly mcaleer September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "I have taken many antidepressants over the past 20 years (Lexapro, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Remeron) and Viibryd is the best I have taken. I loved Lexapro and took it for 15 years before it finally lost its effectiveness and I didn't think I'd find anything better, but Viibryd is as good as Lexapro for me without the negative side sexual effects. The one caveat is that unlike the previous SSRI's I have to take Viibryd in the morning rather than at night or I get terrible insomnia. With my dose in the morning I now have literally no noticible side effects and my mood, motivation, and motivation for things are all elevated. Like any antidepressant there are negative side effects the first 2-4 weeks but those go away so hang in there!"

James47 September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Could not judge benefits because of side effects of diarrhea and nausea."

Ljmc (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "Started on 10mg of Viibryd and have been taking it for over 6 weeks. First week I experienced being "spacey", diarrhea and no appetite. After the first week, I started to feel better and have improved quite a bit. Anxiety is gone but still have "anger" issues, although not as bad prior to Viibryd. Asking the doctor to up the dosage to 20mg to possible help with anger issues. Otherwise, Viibryd is about the best anti-depressant I've ever taken. Much better than Wellbutrin/Zoloft/Prozac/Celexa/etc."

Ferrari312P August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT TAKING THIS! I took it back it 2014 for a few months and took my dose about 4 hrs late. Let me tell you, I thought I was going to have to be put in a psych ward. I laid down to go to sleep and had brain zaps (loud bang and pops in your ears that aren't really there). I saw birds dying at my face, I felt a demon trying to smother me into my bed and saw children burning in a house! All because my dose was late. My Dr told me to wean off immediately. I was terrified to lay down at night because this continued to happen while I was trying to get off it. NEVER BEEN SO THANKFUL IN MY LIFE TO BE RID OF SOMETHING! After my experience and reading about others' experiences, I can't believe it's still available to ruin lives!"

Tennessegirl August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've tried quite a few antidepressant meds over the last 20 or so years and this one is the worst. I've had nausea, bad abdominal pains, bloating, diarrhea, and intensified anger and rage. After the first week I contacted my Physician's office because I was feeling worse. The nurse contacted me back and said the doctor wanted me to continue the medication because I hadn't been on it long enough. I've been out on it for almost a month now and I'm getting off of this trash. This stuff shouldn't even be on the market."

Osbert77 (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've tried numerous anti depressants with varying degrees of success and failures. I transitioned to Viibryd from Trentellix. I started out on 10mgs per day and titrated up to 40 mgs. Within the first week my mood and demeanor became more positive. I stopped thinking about suicide. I did experience some side effects such as vivid nightmares and the inability to sleep. Major trouble sleeping at anytime. I told my doctor and she added Zyprexa 10mgs at night. Finally I could sleep. I'm going to see if she'll increase it a little more. This combination works wonders for me. If Viibryd alone isn't working for you try adding an anti psychotic or mood stabilizer. I feel really good on both of these medications. Finally, something worked."

Srolen (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I tried this medication between Cymbalta and Trintellix. Cymbalta did not eliminate my anxiety and caused stomach issues for me. Viibryd's half life is short. For whatever reason, I would have discontinuation effects late in the cycle. Taking in half 2x/day helped, but seemed to weaken the effect of the drug. Bottom line for me was that while it worked at 40mg part of the day, the end of the day would be very difficult, with brain zaps and lethargy. If you have this experience like I did you simply may metabolize the drug too fast to take advantage of it properly. It is unfortunate because other effects of the drug -- digestive, libido, etc -- were quite good."

AF100 August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I've decided to try taking it at night, as my first 2 days of going up to 20mg have been awful. Blurry vision is awful as I'm a nurse with a 35-50 minute commute, then the flushing, vivid dreams, and overall malaise. I described it as feeling worse than the worst hangover you've ever had to my husband. I'll update after I switch to bedtime dose, I trust my doctor and pharmacist and they are hopeful."

Rubywha83? August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Less than a week ago I reviewed Viibryd. Called my Dr as I am so confused about this med. She says give it a least 6 was. to work, which is ridiculous. This med has SOME good effects, doesn't cause sexual problems, I'm getting a lot done around the house , energetic, excellent concentration BUT I'm a nervous wreck, sleep 2hours at a time, horrible nightmares now about people ganging up on me and I'm swearing at them in anger. Ruined my relationship with adult daughter and she cut me out of her life and my grandchildrens. I'm perfectly fine until I'm NOT, uncontrollable rage, suicidal feelings ( won't act on them I hope) , cry , sob uncontrollably. Sopping wet with sweats/chills during my sleep, nasty to my husband. Stop or stay on???"

DbLH (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "After working my way up to 40 mg a day, the vivid horrible dreams stopped.. Mood wasn't much different. After I think 4 days on the 40 mg, I had a black out rage that landed me in in the psych ward for 2 weeks and now doing a partial program. One Dr thinks it might be due to the fact that I had gastric bypass. Don't know but I will NEVER use that again."

Celnik August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "I was on viibryd for just about a year the first 8 months were wonderful with issues of exhaustion here and there. Then the last few months I was on it my anxiety became so unmanageable after stopping viibryd I had little withdrawals thank the good lord because I have missed a dose of viibryd before and the nightmares are god awful. I'm really hoping to find a happy medium with medication its been an on going battle of finding something that works for almost 5 years now."

Southernbelle42392 August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "nausea, diarrhea, vivid dreams,Two days on starter pack, stopped taking it and it took a couple days to get rid of the side effects."

smiley2 (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I started taking this a little over a week ago. I tapered off of Zoloft , and started with 5.mg of the vibryd, and then up to 10mg a day about ten days ago. I can honestly say that I'm pretty sureI feel out of control , and cry at the same time. I'm filled with utter contempt , and rage at everyone and anyone in my vicinity. I'm not a rage filled person. I want to cry at the same time. I'm just plain angry all the time. My depression has worsened, and the rage and crying is all the time. My doc is not available , so I contacted the pharmacist, and said to continue to take the vibyrd as directed and go to the ER if it continues , or gets worse. Well I'm not waiting. I've taken myself off of it starting today."

Atholsusan (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "This medication was a life saver. I had obsessive thoughts about how I was feeling and would drive myself crazy constantly analyzing my feelings. This drug stopped it cold!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "The first 3 weeks on Viibryd has little to no side effects. Starting on the 4th week, all the side effects came in all at once. Insomnia, swelling, joint pain, diarrhea, dizziness, dark thoughts, nightmares, and mood swings. Saw my doctor and she told me to stop taking it immediately. This medication is definitely not for me."

joeswife July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "After having poor results with several antidepressants, I started Viibryd. I only need 5-10 mg to feel a profound result. I eat really clean and exercise every day, so that may be part of why I need less. My doctor actually became emotional when he said he thought this was the right drug. I was suicidal and getting up in the morning was a monumental task. I couldn't focus on my family and social anxiety was high. I prayed that my body could adjust and it has. When I occasionally up my dose I have severe diarrhea but I just take an OTC to treat it. Insomnia was a problem at first but no longer is. I don't feel totally like myself, a little drugged, and my short term memory is very challenged. But it's worth it. I can function fully now."

Ellie1077 July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I was on Viibryd for 2-3 months before I stopped taking it (it's a problem for me, always thinking I don't need them or meds don't work Etc etc). After a few weeks without them, my therapist sat me down and told me she saw an improvement in my overall mood when I was on it and she was right. It's been about 4 months with me consistently taking 40mg and I'm not gonna lie- the lower GI problems and discomfort do happen sometimes. But my (mild) anxiety is better, my sex drive doesn't suck, and for MOST of the the time on MOST days I realize I actually may be ok. It's not a wonder drug, but it helps me do my ADL's, live more independently and even plan for a future existence sometimes. Would recommend to those who've tried the typical meds."

Functional SPANCH queen (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "I have been suffering with grief and loss. I started with the 10 mg starter dose in AM then 20mg is most effective, 40mg is to strong a dose. Have some dry mouth. It is nice there is no Fluorine, Chlorine in the chemical monogram. I have taken many type of these drug class: Zoloft, Paxil, amityptamine, Latuda, Effexor, Seroquel, Invega, Zyprexa, Buspar, prozac, Abilify. This one Viibryd has least side effects, with proper taper of the dose. And provide some relief to me, but not much. And that is better than most of this drug class. Cheers."

Runs with Scissors July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "Have been on most antidepressants since 1996, Prozac worked but then wears off (just discontinued 3 weeks ago). Viibryd at 10 mg first week helped, increased to 20mg as instructed. Have weakness overall, heart palpitations, dilated pupils, annoyed easily , unable to achieve the big O, gut feels awful and bloated, Cervical Dystonia is aggravated. I have not had diarrhea but cramping. Jittery feeling , thoughts of being better off dead for a few days now. Have only been on this med for 3 weeks... not sure what to do..."

DbLH (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "I was on this med for about 2 months. During that time I started losing my hair and ended up losing quite a bit of it especially on the frontal part. It did give me more energy but I also had a hard time keeping my anxiety in check. I don't remember having the customary side effects and my body seemed to tolerate it quite well. If it hadn't been for the hair loss and anxiety issues, I probably would have stayed on it. I decided to go back on Paxil again a couple of days ago because I really had few problems with that except for weight gain if I don't watch myself."

Terrylsquier 2 July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "This medicine helped for depression. The problem is, the first time I went up to 40mg, (within 2 hours), I started sweating profusely and was super nauseous. After 5 days of this, I am going to switch medicines. The sad thing is it does help with depression but I can't handle feeling nauseous all the time."

Helpful145 July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Have been taking this wonderful medication for several years first through a sponsored program by the manufacturer. The low sexual side effects are a big reason I like it. Life isn't life with out a functioning libido. I am now finding the same as one other reviewer, I have some anxieties, money, bills, money, car repairs, money, you get the idea, and I am hoping for an anxiety medication to accompany this medication. Any suggestions would be helpful. God I hate not sleeping for three days at a time and sweating profusely in the grocery store because I'm anxious even about the money I have to spend on food. Is buspar a possible match for viibryd?"

Mandrake (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I'm a health care professional myself and was prescribed Viibryd for depression and anxiety. This medication is by far the worst medication I've taken. I started taking the recommended dosage with the starter pack. I experienced all the side effects ( nausea, diarrhea, vivid dreams, zaps to the brain). The worst is I ended up in the ER with a panic attack and these panic attacks have continued. Of course I'm off this medication immediately recommended by the ER physician and my personal MD. There are too many negative personal experiences with this medication. Even though everyone reacts differently, there is a correlation."

take this med off the market June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Was on this for a few months, it's newer to the market. It didn't work at all for me. Prozac is the only successful antidepressant I've taken."

NopeNope (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2017