User Reviews for Vilazodone

Also known as: Viibryd

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Vilazodone.

Depression

5.7

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Summary of Vilazodone reviews 5.5 586 reviews

Reviews for Vilazodone

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "I am 21 and have been on Viibryd for 4 years. It is a miracle for me. No drug is not gonna come with out side effects, you gotta figure out what drug is worth the side effects. My favorite thing is the energy it gives me. NO other medicine has given me the right amount of energy, not too much, but enough to feel it kick in. However, if on a high dose, DON'T miss a day. Horrible brain shocks and tremors. I'm on 40mg daily. No other medicines with it."

edasgfl (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Had been using Sertraline for almost 8 years, no major problems 75mg dose. Switched to Viibryd when I wanted something that would allow me to be a little more energetic and increase libido. Things were fine the first 2 weeks, no side effects but no increase in energy really. Then I started having problems grinding my teeth and couldn't relax my jaw, anxiety increased even w/ taking Clonazepam. Not to mention sleep was hard to come by and wouldn't be refreshing. Be careful with this"

C User 1212 November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "I had tried everything. Other drugs affected my sex life, made me gain weight, made me slow. Viibryd has been a life saver. The only thing that bothers me is that there won't be a generic for 3-5 years and without an HMO or Healthcare plan it is about $270 a month. I am lucky to have been employed continuously the time I have been on it. A tip - ask your doctor for sample packs and hoard them. A second tip - always google for coupons on any prescription. Viibryd has some "first year" discounts"

jtwrevo (taken for 10 years or more) October 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "If you don’t like to sleep this is the medication for you. After being on 40 mg for 14 months I am decreasing my dosage to 20 mg. I have had the worst 14 months of my life with difficulties falling asleep and staying asleep. The drug works for depression but does affect my sleep patterns and that is not ok. Here’s hoping the lower dose lets me sleep!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I have tried all other SSRIs available in the US, all have had undesirable side effects. I started taking Viibryd about four years ago, been very pleased. No sexual side effects, even as I increased dosage last year. The only part I find super tricky is it's half life. If I forget to take my dose the next morning I start getting an itchy face. Seriously itchy like allergies! As I have ADHD too this is very helpful but annoying. If I am without my pills and have to wait until later in the day to take them some of the worst anger feelings I've ever had come out. It's like the hulk! Itchy hulk! So as long as I always keep a back up supply in my purse I am good."

Itchyface October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "The first week of taking 10mg of Viibryd I did okay with the exception of diarrhea; then the anxiety began to wane. I still had "anger issues" so the doctor upped the dose to 20mg a day. That was okay for a couple weeks until all of a sudden, I have terrible anxiety, very bad nightmares, bruxism (clenching teeth) and bad headaches. I try to not to clench my teeth, but I go right back to clenching without realizing it. I dropped the dosage down to 10mg a day and I'm still not doing well. I'm about to call the doctor and tell him what the side effects are and to choose something else...or nothing at all."

Ferrari312P October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was prescribed this drug for my anxiety. I was having severe panic attacks and generalized anxiety. This medicine made everything 10x worse. I could barely get out of bed in the morning and I could barely function. I was on 20mg and it was horrible. It made me feel super sick every time after I would take it. I would get very nauseous and dizzy. This drug made me feel crazy and I luckily got off of it but I am still recovering from the horrid side effects. Do no recommend at all. The side effects were too much to handle and made my life horrible."

anxiety10112 October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been taking Viibryd for years now. It was extremely successful at taking away suicidal depression and and a extreme social anxiety, due to mild aspergers. It also gave me a tremendous amount of energy. After a good amount of time with 40mg a day dose, I started experiencing side effects. The first side effect was upset stomach, with diarrhea. Next I started noticing mental exhaustion, and slight dry mouth. Then the side effects went to severe Temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ) issues, and tension headaches, sometimes accompanied by neck region night sweats. Then my doctor and I decided to cut the Viibryd down to 20 mg a day. I have been on the 20 mg for a while now, the TMJ is gone, all other side effects have been reduced. Over all happy still."

RicHM1980 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "Been on Viibryd for 6 years @ 40mg/day. Although it was great for the anger management and depression, I gained 65 pounds despite working out and started losing my hair in huge clumps. I still couldn't sleep through the night and noticed that I couldn't focus anymore for even short periods of time. My new doctor told me yesterday that all of the side effects that Viibryd WASN"T supposed to have, it ended up having anyway (listed above). Glad to be going off and see what changes happen. Be cautious if/when you do go off, must step down and it takes about a month. Headaches are horrible but do go away. Good luck!"

BellaRosesmom October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "This worked really well for depression, in combination with wellbutrin and lamictal. I see a lot of people complaining about sleep troubles, sleep paralysis, vivid dreams, etc. had all those side effects, started taking it both morning and night, and all the side effects went away. Try that, and give it a chance to work."

davow October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been on & off antidepresants most my adult life & have tried many. Was just switched from celexa to viibryd about 1 month ago & it has been a living nightmare. This has by far been the worst med I have ever been on. I have been an emotional wreck & sick as hell. Nausea, dizzy, shaky, jittery, heart racing, weight gain, headaches, anger, crying & several more. I have actually had to pull my car off the road & sit because I was so sick. I can't think straight at all. Tried tapering down from 20mg to 15mg for a week & I felt like I was dying, so went back to 20mg. I feel like I belong in the mental ward. I see my Dr in a few days. Horrible drug, I do not recommend at all! Rather be depressed"

Shelly mcaleer September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "I have taken many antidepressants over the past 20 years (Lexapro, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Remeron) and Viibryd is the best I have taken. I loved Lexapro and took it for 15 years before it finally lost its effectiveness and I didn't think I'd find anything better, but Viibryd is as good as Lexapro for me without the negative side sexual effects. The one caveat is that unlike the previous SSRI's I have to take Viibryd in the morning rather than at night or I get terrible insomnia. With my dose in the morning I now have literally no noticible side effects and my mood, motivation, and motivation for things are all elevated. Like any antidepressant there are negative side effects the first 2-4 weeks but those go away so hang in there!"

James47 September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Could not judge benefits because of side effects of diarrhea and nausea."

Ljmc (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "Started on 10mg of Viibryd and have been taking it for over 6 weeks. First week I experienced being "spacey", diarrhea and no appetite. After the first week, I started to feel better and have improved quite a bit. Anxiety is gone but still have "anger" issues, although not as bad prior to Viibryd. Asking the doctor to up the dosage to 20mg to possible help with anger issues. Otherwise, Viibryd is about the best anti-depressant I've ever taken. Much better than Wellbutrin/Zoloft/Prozac/Celexa/etc."

Ferrari312P August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT TAKING THIS! I took it back it 2014 for a few months and took my dose about 4 hrs late. Let me tell you, I thought I was going to have to be put in a psych ward. I laid down to go to sleep and had brain zaps (loud bang and pops in your ears that aren't really there). I saw birds dying at my face, I felt a demon trying to smother me into my bed and saw children burning in a house! All because my dose was late. My Dr told me to wean off immediately. I was terrified to lay down at night because this continued to happen while I was trying to get off it. NEVER BEEN SO THANKFUL IN MY LIFE TO BE RID OF SOMETHING! After my experience and reading about others' experiences, I can't believe it's still available to ruin lives!"

Tennessegirl August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've tried quite a few antidepressant meds over the last 20 or so years and this one is the worst. I've had nausea, bad abdominal pains, bloating, diarrhea, and intensified anger and rage. After the first week I contacted my Physician's office because I was feeling worse. The nurse contacted me back and said the doctor wanted me to continue the medication because I hadn't been on it long enough. I've been out on it for almost a month now and I'm getting off of this trash. This stuff shouldn't even be on the market."

Osbert77 (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've tried numerous anti depressants with varying degrees of success and failures. I transitioned to Viibryd from Trentellix. I started out on 10mgs per day and titrated up to 40 mgs. Within the first week my mood and demeanor became more positive. I stopped thinking about suicide. I did experience some side effects such as vivid nightmares and the inability to sleep. Major trouble sleeping at anytime. I told my doctor and she added Zyprexa 10mgs at night. Finally I could sleep. I'm going to see if she'll increase it a little more. This combination works wonders for me. If Viibryd alone isn't working for you try adding an anti psychotic or mood stabilizer. I feel really good on both of these medications. Finally, something worked."

Srolen (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I tried this medication between Cymbalta and Trintellix. Cymbalta did not eliminate my anxiety and caused stomach issues for me. Viibryd's half life is short. For whatever reason, I would have discontinuation effects late in the cycle. Taking in half 2x/day helped, but seemed to weaken the effect of the drug. Bottom line for me was that while it worked at 40mg part of the day, the end of the day would be very difficult, with brain zaps and lethargy. If you have this experience like I did you simply may metabolize the drug too fast to take advantage of it properly. It is unfortunate because other effects of the drug -- digestive, libido, etc -- were quite good."

AF100 August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I've decided to try taking it at night, as my first 2 days of going up to 20mg have been awful. Blurry vision is awful as I'm a nurse with a 35-50 minute commute, then the flushing, vivid dreams, and overall malaise. I described it as feeling worse than the worst hangover you've ever had to my husband. I'll update after I switch to bedtime dose, I trust my doctor and pharmacist and they are hopeful."

Rubywha83? August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Less than a week ago I reviewed Viibryd. Called my Dr as I am so confused about this med. She says give it a least 6 was. to work, which is ridiculous. This med has SOME good effects, doesn't cause sexual problems, I'm getting a lot done around the house , energetic, excellent concentration BUT I'm a nervous wreck, sleep 2hours at a time, horrible nightmares now about people ganging up on me and I'm swearing at them in anger. Ruined my relationship with adult daughter and she cut me out of her life and my grandchildrens. I'm perfectly fine until I'm NOT, uncontrollable rage, suicidal feelings ( won't act on them I hope) , cry , sob uncontrollably. Sopping wet with sweats/chills during my sleep, nasty to my husband. Stop or stay on???"

DbLH (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "After working my way up to 40 mg a day, the vivid horrible dreams stopped.. Mood wasn't much different. After I think 4 days on the 40 mg, I had a black out rage that landed me in in the psych ward for 2 weeks and now doing a partial program. One Dr thinks it might be due to the fact that I had gastric bypass. Don't know but I will NEVER use that again."

Celnik August 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "I was on viibryd for just about a year the first 8 months were wonderful with issues of exhaustion here and there. Then the last few months I was on it my anxiety became so unmanageable after stopping viibryd I had little withdrawals thank the good lord because I have missed a dose of viibryd before and the nightmares are god awful. I'm really hoping to find a happy medium with medication its been an on going battle of finding something that works for almost 5 years now."

Southernbelle42392 August 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "nausea, diarrhea, vivid dreams,Two days on starter pack, stopped taking it and it took a couple days to get rid of the side effects."

smiley2 (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I started taking this a little over a week ago. I tapered off of Zoloft , and started with 5.mg of the vibryd, and then up to 10mg a day about ten days ago. I can honestly say that I'm pretty sureI feel out of control , and cry at the same time. I'm filled with utter contempt , and rage at everyone and anyone in my vicinity. I'm not a rage filled person. I want to cry at the same time. I'm just plain angry all the time. My depression has worsened, and the rage and crying is all the time. My doc is not available , so I contacted the pharmacist, and said to continue to take the vibyrd as directed and go to the ER if it continues , or gets worse. Well I'm not waiting. I've taken myself off of it starting today."

Atholsusan (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "This medication was a life saver. I had obsessive thoughts about how I was feeling and would drive myself crazy constantly analyzing my feelings. This drug stopped it cold!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017