Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 2, 2023.
Applies to the following strengths: 10 mg; 20 mg; 40 mg
Usual Adult Dose for:
Additional dosage information:
Usual Adult Dose for Depression
Initial dose: 10 mg orally once a day for 7 days, followed by 20 mg orally once a day for an additional 7 days
Maintenance dose: 40 mg orally once a day
Comment: This drug should be taken with food.
Use: Treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD)
Renal Dose Adjustments
No adjustment recommended
Liver Dose Adjustments
No adjustment recommended
Switching to/from MAOI Antidepressants:
- At least 14 days must elapse between the discontinuation of the MAOI and initiation of this drug OR after stopping this drug and starting an MAOI antidepressant.
Concomitant Strong CYP450 3A4 Inhibitors (e.g., itraconazole, clarithromycin, voriconazole):
- The daily dose should not exceed 20 mg.
- The recommended dose may be resumed when the inhibitor is discontinued.
Concomitant Strong CYP450 3A4 Inducers (e.g., carbamazepine, phenytoin, rifampin):
- Healthcare providers should consider increasing the dose (up to 80 mg once a day) over 1 to 2 weeks in patients taking strong CYP450 3A4 inducers for longer than 14 days.
- The recommended dose may be resumed over 1 to 2 weeks when the inducer is discontinued.
- Patients should take the dose as soon as remembered UNLESS it is almost time for the next dose. If it is time for the next dose, the patient should skip the missed dose and take the next dose at the regular time.
- Patients should avoid taking 2 doses at the same time.
- Patients receiving the 40 mg/day dose: Taper to 20 mg orally for 4 days, then 10 mg daily once a day for 3 days before discontinuing treatment.
- Patients receiving the 20 mg/day dose: Taper to 10 mg orally for 7 days before discontinuing treatment.
US BOXED WARNINGS:
SUICIDAL THOUGHTS AND BEHAVIORS:
- Antidepressants increased the risk of suicidal thoughts and behaviors in patients aged 24 years and younger in short-term studies.
- Monitor closely for clinical worsening and for emergence of suicidal thoughts and behaviors.
- The safety and efficacy of this drug have not been established in pediatric patients.
Safety and efficacy have not been established in patients younger than 18 years.
Consult WARNINGS section for additional precautions.
Data not available
- Patients should be reassessed periodically to determine the need for maintenance treatment and the appropriate dose for treatment.
- Patients and their caregivers should be advised about the benefits and risks associated with treatment with vilazodone and should be counseled in its appropriate use.
- Patients should avoid alcohol while taking this drug.
- Patients should be advised to notify their healthcare provider if they develop an allergic reaction such as rash, hives, swelling, or difficulty breathing.
- Patients should use caution about operating hazardous machinery, including automobiles, until they are reasonably certain that vilazodone does not adversely affect their ability to engage in such activities.
Frequently asked questions
More about vilazodone
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (965)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: miscellaneous antidepressants
- En español
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.