User Reviews for Kenalog-40

Kenalog-40 has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 68 ratings on Drugs.com. 51% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 42% reported a negative experience.

Osteoarthritis
Sarcoidosis
Summary of Kenalog-40 reviews 5.9 68 reviews

Reviews for Kenalog-40

Lost · May 17, 2018

For Bursitis: “Since getting Kenalog-40 injection for hip bursitis a little under 2 months ago I've had worsening symptoms and they are awful. First I developed terrible acid reflux that left a constant burning in my throat then I developed gastritis. I had no appetite and couldn't eat, also diarrhea for weeks and lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks. Anxiety started shortly after the throat burning and hot and cold sweats, racing heart, lightheaded, it's all gotten worse as the weeks have gone by. I have horrible insomnia, racing heart sometimes palpitations my vision is blurred I have terrible anxiety and now some depression. I can't even drive now I feel so out if it most of the time. And it is affecting me cognitively, I have trouble focusing and making decisions. Oh and my hair is falling out in clumps. I've had every test possible by my dr and everything is normal. Kenalog-40 injection has ruined my life. And I have no idea how long it will last. I'm terrified.”

Katy · Taken for less than 1 month · October 27, 2020

For Osteoarthritis: “This is the first and last time using this injection, I'm 8 weeks in and still having panic attacks, insomnia, increased hunger, anxiety, How long does this last Please avoid at all costs you will regret it”

David Pack · February 16, 2022

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I would NEVER recommend this Kenalog steroid to anyone under any circumstances. I was given it for Fluid in shoulder. Within 1 minute I felt like I could fall down, the left side of my face was Red Hot!! And the Hot flashes persistently happens to this day 7 months later! For 5 months they were horrible. My blood pressure went from 120/80 which is perfect to 164/104 and I almost had a stroke. My pain in my shoulder at no point was better an my Doctor at the Medical center never went over the side effects with me . I even asked and all he said was I have never heard of anything bad happening with the steroid. Which was a BOLD face lie. After hundreds of horror stories I’ve read there is NO way doctors should ever use this steroid! Very very dangerous people. My left eye gets blurry also and it is weird how it feels. Almost a foggy feeling. This drug is banned in the UK for a reason. They should stop doctors from using this anymore. I have prayed for this many times. STAY clear of Kenalog!!!!! It’s a life threatening drug”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month · October 28, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was suffering with rheumatoid arthritis and my quality of life was non existent. I was hopeless. My thigh area and my groin area would burn and feel as if it would snap. I couldn't do anything. Pain management could care less about a person's pain anymore. I was in pain management for 8 years. An orthopedic surgeon checked me out suggested the injection of kenalog-40 and I have a life now. It's as different as night and day. I had a reaction right after the injection. Felt faint. Broke out in a sweat. It passed. I took some water. I was fine. I have such relief FINALLY. I hope my pain doesn't return. I'm worried about that because it pained me so much. But right now 3 weeks later, I'm way good!!!”

gingerlucy · Taken for 1 to 6 months · September 27, 2019

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I had a shot of Kenalog put in each SI joint. He said he put a total of 30 on 8/6/19. They never told me about any side effects and I've been miserable ever since. Severe fatigue, shortness of breath, very bad anxiety, weak, depressed and it hasn't got any better. It also messed up my thyroid medicaiton. I have no thyroid and now its very low which is making things worse. I wish someone could tell me how long these side effects last. It will be 2 months on the 6th of October and I'm not better. These shots have ruined my life and now they told to never get another one which I would never. I just want my life back. Could someone tell me how long it will take these side effects to go away. Thank you.”

Jayden2015 · March 9, 2015

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I've had spring allergies as far back as I can remember. I get severe sinus pressure, loose focus, lose energy, etc. The inflammation in my body makes my blood feel like it's on fire. I get a Kenalog shot 1-2 times every spring and it has been more effective than anything I've every used in my life. The world comes into focus and my body feels like it comes back to life throughout the course of the day that I get it. Usually lasts 3-4 months for me and works wonders in my life.”

Cher · Taken for less than 1 month · May 3, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Worse drug I have ever had. I was given a Kenalog injection for arthritis and fibromyalgia. I immediately had my blood pressure go off the chart and developed a rash and rapid heartbeat. I also had trouble breathing and problems with my eyesight. I now have a permanent heart problem. I do NOT recommend this drug for anyone!”

WORST EVER · Taken for less than 1 month · November 2, 2021

For Osteoarthritis: “I should have read the reviews before getting an injection of Kenalog in my knee. Almost immediately I started feeling dizzy and I was the day and night went on my heart started racing I haven’t slept in one minute. I have extreme anxiety and my blood pressure shot up to 159/95 and pulse 95 and that is even on my blood pressure medicine. I had the worst heartburn and just feel dread. I am hoping these side effects subside over the next few days but the reviews say not. Also, it has made my asthma a lot worse over the last 24 hours. This is the second injection I have gotten and I said I would never do it again but this time I mean it. It never did help my pain what a waste.”

Scared · Taken for 1 to 6 months · December 9, 2018

For Osteoarthritis: “Do not get this injection!!!! I got mine about 6 1/2 weeks ago. The first week was ok no side effects but no pain relief either. Side effects for me started at week 2 and still going. Burning mouth/throat. Worse anxiety then I already had. Extreme nausea, no appetite, I’ve lost 8 lbs and I can not afford to lose weight. I’m terrified how long this will go on.”

MT, female · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · January 12, 2022

For Frozen Shoulder: “Excellent at getting rid of the pain and restoring range of motion in my frozen shoulder, but HORRIBLE systemic side effects in the rest of my body. The first immediate side effect was an adrenaline rush that kept me on edge and wide awake for three nights after the injection. After a week my sleep returned to normal however then the hormonal side effects began. I would have strings of unusual rapid-fire hot flashes one after the other. Those lasted about two months and then tapered off. I also stopped getting a period for 6 months. There is plenty of research online showing that Kenalog-40 injections can mess with your “HPA Axis” which are your Hormone, Pituitary, and Adrenal systems. Unfortunately I had to learn that on my own after the side effects started. Absolutely none of this was mentioned by the (male) doctor who recommended and did the injection. People should be forewarned and the possible side effects explained in advance. I will never take this drug again.”

H-Marie · Taken for less than 1 month · July 25, 2019

For Frozen Shoulder: “If I could give this zero stars I would. I have been dealing with shoulder pain for 5 years. And I have been to as many different doctors. This past week I visited an orthopedist and he told me I have shoulder impingement syndrome. He told me I could have Kenalog shots every 3 months or have a surgical procedure. So I took the initial injection and I have regretted ever allowing this in my body. The next day my face was red, hot and burning. I started crying for no reason and having hysterical thoughts. Dizzy, confused, elevated blood pressure, anger. My pain level skyrocketed within the first two days and is now at the level it was before the shot. Was NOT worth it. I wasn’t informed of the side effects and when I called the dr they basically told me that this happens to less than 10 percent of patients but I have read so many stories like mine. DON’T allow your dr to give you this if you haven’t already. Just awful stuff.”

Sally1289 · Taken for less than 1 month · September 1, 2019

For Bursitis: “Have had sciatica/spinal stenosis and herniated discs on MRI. Constant pain, felt like lightning in my left leg, tingling all the time and felt like hot liquid running down my leg. Seen Ortho doctor and he suggested kenalog injections to treat what he thought was bursisis in the hip and also sciatica. Went on a Tuesday and got 2 injections in the hip/butt area. Was pain free since the injections. Have small amounts of tingling below the knee if I overdue things. Friday was the first time in years that I could actually walk through the grocery store and not have to leave due to unbearable pain. This drug is just amazing to me. I have had no side effects from the injection. Only been 5 days but hopefully it will last for awhile and that I can avoid surgery. I feel so thankful. I highly recommend anyone trying Kenalog, it seems like a blessing for me.”

Michelle · Taken for less than 1 month · April 21, 2019

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “Horrible injection, side effects worse than prednisone except you can't make it stop because it lasts at least 3 to 4 weeks after injection. My dermatologist pressured me to get this shot for my inflamed skin but he did not tell me it would make me so sick with nausea, vomiting and vertigo that I would not be able to function. Almost a month has gone by and I am still sick as anything from Kenalog. I will never let a doctor do this to me again! This drug is awful!!! It makes me thankful for the Lupus!!!”

Messed with Tex · August 30, 2021

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I wish I had never let the NP give me this injection ! It messed with my hormones and gave me terrible anxiety and I felt like I had a bad UTI!!! I went it to see my doctor because I was tired of suffering from sinus pain and hay fever. It was discovered that I didn’t have a sinus infection so I was recommended to get the Kenalog 40 mg. I started to feel better from the sinus and hay fever but boy I am paying the price for that temporary relief!! About a week after the injection I have had post menopausal vaginal bleeding, and cystitis, and gastritis. I was sent over to get a pelvic ultrasound. Those results determined that my cervix was a little thick, and now I’m going to see my gynecologist. I should have been warned of the side effects of this. It was a bad call for them to recommend this to me being that I already have high blood pressure and Osteopenia. I know that some side effects are rare but you still should have a choice to be told before you take the shot.”

Jimjames · July 11, 2013

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have had rheumatoid arthritis now for about 4 years, mainly in my neck and shoulders. I'm a school teacher and it would be excruciating to raise my arms to write on the board. I'm also a musician with allergies. A year ago last spring I decided to get an allergy shot to reduce my allergy symptoms before a performance and was astonished to experience that my rheumatoid arthritis pain literally left my body. I didn't attribute the regression to the Kenalog but while talking to my doctor she made the relationship. The Kenalog shot for allergies was suppose to be good for a year. A year later my arthritis started to seep back into my neck and shoulders. I went back to the same allergy doctor and got exactly the same shot and my rheumatoid arthritis symptoms left again. My life has changed tremendously.”

HelenBee · Taken for less than 1 month · September 16, 2017

For Osteoarthritis: “Had an injection into my knee due to osteoarthritis. I am scheduled for knee replacement but there is 1 year wait for surgery. Before injection I could not sleep due to throbbing pain and after injection this is gone. My overall pain is significantly reduced. I had no adverse reaction to the drug.”

Fox7 · August 29, 2019

“Have terrible problems with boils and cysts on my armpits (Hidradenitis Supperativa). Went to a dermatologist who gave me an injection under my left arm. It's been 3 days, and I have been having trouble with heart palpitations, strong beats, and also sometimes feels like a slow heart rate. It's making me feel like something is wrong with my heart! It's actually quite scary. I'm also having issues with nausea, and increased anxiety. How long does this stuff last in your system??? I don't like this at all!”

PETRA · Taken for less than 1 month · February 25, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “In 2013, I got a kenalog 40 injection in left glute to treat severe chronic hay fever. I just got one shot. One month later my hair started falling out excessively. I have lost 90 percent of my hair and my eyebrows are practically gone. I had super thick healthy hair and 'brooke shield" thick eyebrows. This is scariest most depressing situation. Menstrual cycle is erratic excessive bleeding. I have spent thousands of dollars on endocrinologists and hormone specialists to treat this sudden hair shedding/loss caused by this drug. It has ruined my life.”

Bellecoach · December 7, 2015

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I had strained pretty much my entire body making changes in an old chest. My whole body seemed to hurt constantly and my hands were essentially unmoving and stiff. With an on and off Dx of SLE, I went to a rheumatologist. He injected once in the hip with Kenelog 40. By the next day I felt as though I were a good 20 years younger, with no pain to speak of anywhere in my body. My hands and feet were no longer swollen: ring size went from 9 to 8 and had to take up all shoe buckles at least one hole. My hands had more flexibility and strength than I had had in years. There were no negative side effects. It's been 6 months and I continue with the flexibility, etc. that I had from the beginning. This Kenalog 40 is great stuff!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month · September 24, 2016

For Osteoarthritis: “ i have fibro, chronic pain around neck ,relieved pain very fast.. side effects still here- into 2nd week. rapid heart rate, feels like can't catch my breath, sweats, coughing, bouncing off the walls..”

sailen4love · Taken for less than 1 month · October 15, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I went to doctor and told her my left arm was starting to freeze up like the right one did. I have R A for 15 yrs. The next morning I thought a miracle had taken place. Never felt so good for so many years. Went to Costa Rica and after about two months it returned. Came home and after searching for the drug. They had it at the hospital. Took it to my doctor and he gave it to me in right hip. Didn't last but about one month. Next time he gave it to me in my left hip and it maybe lasted 3 weeks. The next time I ask him to give it were my other doctor in Panama city beach,fl gave it to me. In my left arm and it is still lasting. Also noticed how my complexion cleared up. I have rosacea. Once it got in my eyes. You need to get it from a hospital drug store.”

Benjamin C. · September 29, 2011

For Allergic Rhinitis: “After years of suffering through allergies (year round, anything in bloom, grass, trees, etc.), my doctor gave me a shot of Kenalog-40. The shot lasts for 6-10 weeks and has relieved all symptoms. I want to make sure that I don't over use it (as all other allergy medicine I build a tolerance to, and then it fails to work).”

Bella5416 · Taken for less than 1 month · February 23, 2021

For Allergic Reactions: “The night I had my first and only injection, I had horrible night sweats. For the next week, my face has felt hot and I've been hotter than normal when sleeping. My menstrual cycle is also completely screwed up. I'm 37, not pregnant and am now dealing with what I would imagine hot flashes and night sweats to be and the erratic periods I had as a teenager. If I would have known the sides effects, I wouldn't have allowed my doctor to inject me with this drug. I can only hope this gets out of my system ASAP.”

Lovey · Taken for less than 1 month · January 10, 2019

For Osteoarthritis: “I am 74 years young, active person. Had pain in my jaw for about three weeks, could hardly talk or eat. Thinking it was something awful, I went to the E.R. and the MD there ordered a CAT Scan of the mandible, etc. Finally, the report came in as Osteo-Arthritis of the jaw area and inflammation, etc. Well, I was given 2 injections: one of Toradol for pain and Kenalog for the inflammation. Amazingly, after about one hour, I felt much better. Hardly any pain. The doctor told me to see my own MD for follow up and to take Aleve for pain until then. I will be making an appt. ASAP since I was good for three whole weeks but now the pain is starting again. I don't want to take Aleve too much as it irritates the stomach and could be harmful if taken consistently. No side effects from either drug.”

Sargent Rock · February 17, 2009

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have suffered excrutiating back, hip and knee pain for 15 years. I had my first injection and felt thirty years old again. I was able to walk normally and without pain. The second shot had no noticeable effect and the euphoria from the first faded away. The first was given very close to the spinal nerve involved. The second one not so close and today's shot was very close to the nerve. I would recommend this if medically cleared by all your specialists. It will change your life, at least for a while.”