User Reviews for Kenalog-40

Kenalog-40 has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 52 ratings on Drugs.com. 60% of those users who reviewed Kenalog-40 reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

Osteoarthritis
Asthma
Summary of Kenalog-40 reviews 6.7 52 reviews

Reviews for Kenalog-40

Bella5416 · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2021

For Allergic Reactions: “The night I had my first and only injection, I had horrible night sweats. For the next week, my face has felt hot and I've been hotter than normal when sleeping. My menstrual cycle is also completely screwed up. I'm 37, not pregnant and am now dealing with what I would imagine hot flashes and night sweats to be and the erratic periods I had as a teenager. If I would have known the sides effects, I wouldn't have allowed my doctor to inject me with this drug. I can only hope this gets out of my system ASAP.”

Cat · Taken for less than 1 month December 19, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Cleared my sinus inflammation. A side effect unfortunately is I’m left with a hard lump on my buttock at injection site 7 months later still present.”

Tonya · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 24, 2020

For Psoriasis: “My menstruation is totally out of control while on Kenalog injections (for psoriasis). It’s heavy as last 7-10 days vs 4-5 light days when I’m not on Kenalog. I was on it for a 6 mo period having injections every 4 weeks. Til I couldn’t take the heavy cycle and my hemoglobin dropped to 7. Last month I got back on the Kenalog because of the psoriasis was so bad and inflamed. Now the second set of injections this month my cycle is heavy already. Not sure what to do I’m very disappointed.”

Lost May 17, 2018

For Bursitis: “Since getting Kenalog-40 injection for hip bursitis a little under 2 months ago I've had worsening symptoms and they are awful. First I developed terrible acid reflux that left a constant burning in my throat then I developed gastritis. I had no appetite and couldn't eat, also diarrhea for weeks and lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks. Anxiety started shortly after the throat burning and hot and cold sweats, racing heart, lightheaded, it's all gotten worse as the weeks have gone by. I have horrible insomnia, racing heart sometimes palpitations my vision is blurred I have terrible anxiety and now some depression. I can't even drive now I feel so out if it most of the time. And it is affecting me cognitively, I have trouble focusing and making decisions. Oh and my hair is falling out in clumps. I've had every test possible by my dr and everything is normal. Kenalog-40 injection has ruined my life. And I have no idea how long it will last. I'm terrified.”

Katy · Taken for less than 1 month October 27, 2020

For Osteoarthritis: “This is the first and last time using this injection, I'm 8 weeks in and still having panic attacks, insomnia, increased hunger, anxiety, How long does this last Please avoid at all costs you will regret it”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month October 28, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was suffering with rheumatoid arthritis and my quality of life was non existent. I was hopeless. My thigh area and my groin area would burn and feel as if it would snap. I couldn't do anything. Pain management could care less about a person's pain anymore. I was in pain management for 8 years. An orthopedic surgeon checked me out suggested the injection of kenalog-40 and I have a life now. It's as different as night and day. I had a reaction right after the injection. Felt faint. Broke out in a sweat. It passed. I took some water. I was fine. I have such relief FINALLY. I hope my pain doesn't return. I'm worried about that because it pained me so much. But right now 3 weeks later, I'm way good!!!”

gingerlucy · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 27, 2019

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I had a shot of Kenalog put in each SI joint. He said he put a total of 30 on 8/6/19. They never told me about any side effects and I've been miserable ever since. Severe fatigue, shortness of breath, very bad anxiety, weak, depressed and it hasn't got any better. It also messed up my thyroid medicaiton. I have no thyroid and now its very low which is making things worse. I wish someone could tell me how long these side effects last. It will be 2 months on the 6th of October and I'm not better. These shots have ruined my life and now they told to never get another one which I would never. I just want my life back. Could someone tell me how long it will take these side effects to go away. Thank you.”

Jayden2015 March 9, 2015

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I've had spring allergies as far back as I can remember. I get severe sinus pressure, loose focus, lose energy, etc. The inflammation in my body makes my blood feel like it's on fire. I get a Kenalog shot 1-2 times every spring and it has been more effective than anything I've every used in my life. The world comes into focus and my body feels like it comes back to life throughout the course of the day that I get it. Usually lasts 3-4 months for me and works wonders in my life.”

Michelle · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2019

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “Horrible injection, side effects worse than prednisone except you can't make it stop because it lasts at least 3 to 4 weeks after injection. My dermatologist pressured me to get this shot for my inflamed skin but he did not tell me it would make me so sick with nausea, vomiting and vertigo that I would not be able to function. Almost a month has gone by and I am still sick as anything from Kenalog. I will never let a doctor do this to me again! This drug is awful!!! It makes me thankful for the Lupus!!!”

Cher · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Worse drug I have ever had. I was given a Kenalog injection for arthritis and fibromyalgia. I immediately had my blood pressure go off the chart and developed a rash and rapid heartbeat. I also had trouble breathing and problems with my eyesight. I now have a permanent heart problem. I do NOT recommend this drug for anyone!”

H-Marie · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2019

For Frozen Shoulder: “If I could give this zero stars I would. I have been dealing with shoulder pain for 5 years. And I have been to as many different doctors. This past week I visited an orthopedist and he told me I have shoulder impingement syndrome. He told me I could have Kenalog shots every 3 months or have a surgical procedure. So I took the initial injection and I have regretted ever allowing this in my body. The next day my face was red, hot and burning. I started crying for no reason and having hysterical thoughts. Dizzy, confused, elevated blood pressure, anger. My pain level skyrocketed within the first two days and is now at the level it was before the shot. Was NOT worth it. I wasn’t informed of the side effects and when I called the dr they basically told me that this happens to less than 10 percent of patients but I have read so many stories like mine. DON’T allow your dr to give you this if you haven’t already. Just awful stuff.”

Scared · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2018

For Osteoarthritis: “Do not get this injection!!!! I got mine about 6 1/2 weeks ago. The first week was ok no side effects but no pain relief either. Side effects for me started at week 2 and still going. Burning mouth/throat. Worse anxiety then I already had. Extreme nausea, no appetite, I’ve lost 8 lbs and I can not afford to lose weight. I’m terrified how long this will go on.”

Sally1289 · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2019

For Bursitis: “Have had sciatica/spinal stenosis and herniated discs on MRI. Constant pain, felt like lightning in my left leg, tingling all the time and felt like hot liquid running down my leg. Seen Ortho doctor and he suggested kenalog injections to treat what he thought was bursisis in the hip and also sciatica. Went on a Tuesday and got 2 injections in the hip/butt area. Was pain free since the injections. Have small amounts of tingling below the knee if I overdue things. Friday was the first time in years that I could actually walk through the grocery store and not have to leave due to unbearable pain. This drug is just amazing to me. I have had no side effects from the injection. Only been 5 days but hopefully it will last for awhile and that I can avoid surgery. I feel so thankful. I highly recommend anyone trying Kenalog, it seems like a blessing for me.”

Jimjames July 11, 2013

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have had rheumatoid arthritis now for about 4 years, mainly in my neck and shoulders. I'm a school teacher and it would be excruciating to raise my arms to write on the board. I'm also a musician with allergies. A year ago last spring I decided to get an allergy shot to reduce my allergy symptoms before a performance and was astonished to experience that my rheumatoid arthritis pain literally left my body. I didn't attribute the regression to the Kenalog but while talking to my doctor she made the relationship. The Kenalog shot for allergies was suppose to be good for a year. A year later my arthritis started to seep back into my neck and shoulders. I went back to the same allergy doctor and got exactly the same shot and my rheumatoid arthritis symptoms left again. My life has changed tremendously.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2016

For Osteoarthritis: “ i have fibro, chronic pain around neck ,relieved pain very fast.. side effects still here- into 2nd week. rapid heart rate, feels like can't catch my breath, sweats, coughing, bouncing off the walls..”

Nonblonde10 · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2019

For Asthma: “Really helps for lung constriction, but the side effects are staggering. Within forty eight hours I was shaking uncontrollably, face red, felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest, face turned into steroid "moon pie", sweating and cannot sleep. Breathing is more important, but this is a ride I wish I could get off of.”

sailen4love · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I went to doctor and told her my left arm was starting to freeze up like the right one did. I have R A for 15 yrs. The next morning I thought a miracle had taken place. Never felt so good for so many years. Went to Costa Rica and after about two months it returned. Came home and after searching for the drug. They had it at the hospital. Took it to my doctor and he gave it to me in right hip. Didn't last but about one month. Next time he gave it to me in my left hip and it maybe lasted 3 weeks. The next time I ask him to give it were my other doctor in Panama city beach,fl gave it to me. In my left arm and it is still lasting. Also noticed how my complexion cleared up. I have rosacea. Once it got in my eyes. You need to get it from a hospital drug store.”

Bellecoach December 7, 2015

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I had strained pretty much my entire body making changes in an old chest. My whole body seemed to hurt constantly and my hands were essentially unmoving and stiff. With an on and off Dx of SLE, I went to a rheumatologist. He injected once in the hip with Kenelog 40. By the next day I felt as though I were a good 20 years younger, with no pain to speak of anywhere in my body. My hands and feet were no longer swollen: ring size went from 9 to 8 and had to take up all shoe buckles at least one hole. My hands had more flexibility and strength than I had had in years. There were no negative side effects. It's been 6 months and I continue with the flexibility, etc. that I had from the beginning. This Kenalog 40 is great stuff!!”

Fox7 August 29, 2019

“Have terrible problems with boils and cysts on my armpits (Hidradenitis Supperativa). Went to a dermatologist who gave me an injection under my left arm. It's been 3 days, and I have been having trouble with heart palpitations, strong beats, and also sometimes feels like a slow heart rate. It's making me feel like something is wrong with my heart! It's actually quite scary. I'm also having issues with nausea, and increased anxiety. How long does this stuff last in your system??? I don't like this at all!”

poseidon_92 October 31, 2019

For Allergic Reactions: “Worst drug EVER! I got the shot yesterday to help with a severe sinus infection I fought for 2 weeks. I expected jitters, BUT was never warned about dizziness; the muscles in each of my arms ache, I can't even put one arm above my shoulder; my throat is tight (I could still breathe, but swallowing was difficult). I woke up at 3 am with my chest having full convulsions--like upper body was on a paint shaker. Lasted 30 seconds. I almost went to the ER, BUT I knew they wouldn't be able to do anything. I called Dr this morning...and she said take some benadryl today & let them know tomorrow if it helped. I'm not sure what the course of action will be if it doesn't. I'm tempted to take some activated charcoal, but that will lessen the effects of my antibiotic; so i just don't know what to do. They said it's a slow release one so it'll be in my system for WEEKS! Weeks on benadryl is no way to live. I can't take the throat & chest tightness for weeks. So fingers crossed benadryl does the job.”

Onion April 24, 2019

“I’m 53 years old and do resistance training 5 days a week to keep my genetic cholesterol in check. My shoulder was hurting for a few years and getting worse. It was so painful when I finally went to the doctor I could hardly lift my arm to put a shirt on. I received this shot on a Friday. By Monday morning I felt like I was only 20 years old. I went from dealing with constant pain to zero pain in three days. I went from struggling with 25 lb. dumbbells to easily using 40 lb. dumbbells. I went from doing 4 sets of 25 pushups to 4 sets of 50 pushups. I almost doubled all the weight I had been struggling to lift before this medication and I felt like Superman. It was amazing for me! I had no side effects. The negative thing is I was 100% pain free for only three weeks and then the pain started slowly coming back. It’s still tolerable after two months. Now it only hurts when I resistance train even though I’m back to using lighter weights. At least I can still lift my arm pain free when I put on a shirt.”

Lovey · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2019

For Osteoarthritis: “I am 74 years young, active person. Had pain in my jaw for about three weeks, could hardly talk or eat. Thinking it was something awful, I went to the E.R. and the MD there ordered a CAT Scan of the mandible, etc. Finally, the report came in as Osteo-Arthritis of the jaw area and inflammation, etc. Well, I was given 2 injections: one of Toradol for pain and Kenalog for the inflammation. Amazingly, after about one hour, I felt much better. Hardly any pain. The doctor told me to see my own MD for follow up and to take Aleve for pain until then. I will be making an appt. ASAP since I was good for three whole weeks but now the pain is starting again. I don't want to take Aleve too much as it irritates the stomach and could be harmful if taken consistently. No side effects from either drug.”

HelenBee · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2017

For Osteoarthritis: “Had an injection into my knee due to osteoarthritis. I am scheduled for knee replacement but there is 1 year wait for surgery. Before injection I could not sleep due to throbbing pain and after injection this is gone. My overall pain is significantly reduced. I had no adverse reaction to the drug.”

Sargent Rock February 17, 2009

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have suffered excrutiating back, hip and knee pain for 15 years. I had my first injection and felt thirty years old again. I was able to walk normally and without pain. The second shot had no noticeable effect and the euphoria from the first faded away. The first was given very close to the spinal nerve involved. The second one not so close and today's shot was very close to the nerve. I would recommend this if medically cleared by all your specialists. It will change your life, at least for a while.”

Relief · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 11, 2020

For Osteoarthritis: “Had Kenalog-40 injections shoulder, knees and base thumb joints. No side affects. Was able to get a full nights sleep finally. Experience aching only when it’s weather change. Too bad it doesn’t last longer”

Benjamin C. September 29, 2011

For Allergic Rhinitis: “After years of suffering through allergies (year round, anything in bloom, grass, trees, etc.), my doctor gave me a shot of Kenalog-40. The shot lasts for 6-10 weeks and has relieved all symptoms. I want to make sure that I don't over use it (as all other allergy medicine I build a tolerance to, and then it fails to work).”

PETRA · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “In 2013, I got a kenalog 40 injection in left glute to treat severe chronic hay fever. I just got one shot. One month later my hair started falling out excessively. I have lost 90 percent of my hair and my eyebrows are practically gone. I had super thick healthy hair and 'brooke shield" thick eyebrows. This is scariest most depressing situation. Menstrual cycle is erratic excessive bleeding. I have spent thousands of dollars on endocrinologists and hormone specialists to treat this sudden hair shedding/loss caused by this drug. It has ruined my life.”

Lifeisruined · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 23, 2019

For Inflammatory Conditions: “To all the people who have had 1 injection and love being pain free, BEWARE. I have permanent damage from the injections and will take the pain over the awful side effects. It’s a roller coaster. The more injections the more permanent damage. I have permanent indentions in both buttocks that affect my sitting, injection site burns, itches, hurts & it’s been 6 months since last one, sweat constantly, sleep is rare, NEVER AGAIN. They hook you on the feel good for a while and damage you more over time.”