User Reviews for Carafate

Learn more about Carafate.

Carafate Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Carafate to treat GERD

"the most frustrating experience of my life trying to buy this medicine one month supply of pills $4.00 one month of suspension $526.99 Amazing right! The Dr. recommended the suspension but simply cannot afford it. I have been told so many things it is a nightmare. I have gerd but unable to afford suspension and no one offers any help. I had to take pills financially and will continue taking with hope they will work. I make a suspension 4 times a day and drink it"

triple R October 28, 2015

"I had a serious problems with GERD. Chest pain, jaw pain, abdominal pain, and back pain caused from GERD makes me feel like I am dying, literally. I've been in the ER well over 4 times for this alone. I've been prescribed everything you can think of. I tried anything I could try to help this problem to no avail. The ONLY thing that helps with the chest pain is milk but it doesn't stop it completely it doesn't even touch the abdominal pain at all though and it's so excruciating that it is dibilitating. I'm 8 months pregnant now and I went in to labor and delivery with the worst abdominal pain I've ever felt in my life, prescribed carafate and works in 20 mins. Miracle drug for me."

Miracle drug September 20, 2015

"GERD, Esophagitis, and a Hiatal Hernia. Take both Cimetidine and Prilosec daily and was still having heartburn. The emergency room gave me Carafate and it's wonderful. Not only does it stop heartburn in it's tracks, but it also prevents future bouts of heartburn. There are some rules on taking this medication, and those rules can be a bit of a pain if you are not used to them. You cannot take this medication within a half hour of taking any antacids. You also need to take it one hour before or two hours after eating. Swallowing the Carafate pill can be a little bit intimidating as when you swallow it, you get a choking sensation. Make sure to take it with plenty of ice water. Try to numb your throat with cold water prior to taking."

tellitlikeitis (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2015

"I can almost eat/drink normally now that I'm on Carafate Suspension 4x per day. I only have a flare up 1-2x per month now, mainly when I've been eating poorly or have come into contact with bacteria, etc. I take it in conjunction with Nexium & Librax because I have acid reflux, bile reflux, irritable bowel syndrome and GERD."

B040289 February 9, 2015

"I had terrible stomach/esophagial and mid back pain. After a endoscopic procedure, I was found to have GERD, Barrett's esophagus & a small hiatial hernia. The Carafate & Dexilant worked well to calm down the esophagitis pain/spasms/inflammation. The Barrett's esophagus was detected using pathology and even though it was a very mild case, it is a serious disease and I will need a EGD performed yearly. The Dexilant has worked wonders also. The two medicines are working well together. I have not had any side effects from the Carafate. I take 1/2 to 1 tablet, as needed, up to 4 times/day. I chew it up and swallow with a small sip of water or you can dissolve it in water and drink it. Coats the stomach quicker. I have used it for 6 months."

SmokyMtnLady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 10, 2013

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Face swelled, became red, peeled, and caused intense pain and itching simultaneously; eyes reddened and swelled to the point of almost closing; throat became sore; prednisone pack prescribed."

Anonymous February 13, 2012

"I have Barrett's Disease. This helps the pain somewhat but doesn't make me feel well or have an appetite. Maybe not compatible with other medicines. "

mfirebrand1 January 28, 2010

"I have intense pain along bottom of ribs and this is the second round of Carafate. It has not helped at all. Still in pain. No side effects from taking it though."

pattyrabbit May 6, 2009