User Reviews for Ozempic to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Ozempic has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 438 ratings for the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2. 42% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 34% reported a negative effect.

Ozempic Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 158 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Ozempic

Zell · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 29, 2021

“I started ozempic 9 months ago. At the time I was a little over 200 lbs and was taking 1000 mg of metformin daily. Metformin had worked for me for almost 20 yrs so I didn't expect that is had suddenly stopped working. For 3 years I gained weight even though I worked out, and I thought it was just my appetite out of control. One random day I realized my metformin was the problem. I saw a new dr who prescribed ozempic. What a miracle! 9 months later and I’m down 40 lbs, my a1c dropped from 8.1 to 5.6, and I have virtually no symptoms from the drug other than fullness. The symptoms in the beginning did not last long either. Nausea, headache, fatigue...all cleared up within a week or 2 each time my dose was increased. It can cause what feels like constipation but for me it’s just that I simply haven’t eaten enough. This drug feels too good to be true. I’m so pleased with my experience so far!”

Teresa September 6, 2020

“I’ve been Ozempic for 4 weeks. I am so glad that my doctor sat me down and told me what to expect. She also asked if I could handle it. She said that if you can make it through the 4th week I promise it will get better. She was right. I was pretty sick the first two weeks. I learned that it had a lot to do with me trying to eat my normal intake of food. Once I started to catch a clue and making my portions smaller, I learned it would make me feel better. I could guarantee if I ate too much, I’d feel like crap. People aren’t kidding about the side effects. It’s real. But I made it and am now starting to feel better with each day. I’ve lost 18 pounds now and I’m amazed. Yes it makes you sick but if you keep trying to eat like you did it will be worse. You have to start listening to your body You can’t keep eating your same amounts and expect to lose weight.”

Stingie · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2021

“I did one injection and have been ill since. Have had acid reflux, burping, vomiting, constipation, headache and dizziness. I tried to eat small meals and drink plenty of water as directed by my physician, but I have been unable to hold anything down. 5 days after my first injection, I'm off work drinking pedialyte trying to get my strength back and avoid being hospitalized. This is the worst that I have ever felt in my life.”

MzGormo · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2021

“Started on Ozempic Sept 2020, starting weight 312 lbs (5’ 4”). I am type 2 diabetic and take 2550mg of Metformin daily. HbA1c was 79, sugar cravings and blood sugar out of control. Started on 0.25 dose, for a month. Quite bad stomach cramps and nausea for the first month. Went up to 0.5 on month 2, then 1.0 dose for month 3 and since. No 1 tip - inject into your leg rather than around your belly. Once I changed to injecting in my leg, nausea and cramps disappeared overnight & never came back. To maximise effectiveness, you can’t eat like you did before. I re-joined Weight Watchers in Sept. I have lost 80lbs in 5 months, HBA1c dropped from 79 to 51 which is normal type 2 level although the doc feels with more weight loss, it could go to normal levels. In Ireland, diabetes is classed as a long term illness so all medications are covered by the government so I don’t have to pay for this. Otherwise costs €195.”

Kitkat · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2021

“I'm a 54 year old female who's a1c was 8.3 at the end of March. So after 4 months on Ozempic, my a1c is now 6.3! and I've lost 34 lbs. Definitely curbs my appetite and I have been logging my food. My side effects have been minimal, a little nausea in the beginning and constipation. This med has been a game changer for me. My hope I that many others will have the same results I have.”

Doubtful January 19, 2021

“I took one Ozempic injection at .25 and ended up at ER 2 days later. I had horrible bloating. Burping smelled like eggs. Unstoppable vomiting and diarrhea. I ONLY TOOK ONE INJECTION and stopped the medicine. It has been 2 weeks and the medicine still making me sick. I'm just wondering how long it takes to fully leave your system? I just want to feel human again. I was tested for pancreatitis but was ok but dr said will repeat labs soon. I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS MEDICATION TO ANYONE. PLEASE BE SAFE TAKING THIS MEDICATION.”

Concerned · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2021

“I started Ozempic in late December at .25 injection. I also take 500mg metformin per day. Soon after I started Ozempic I had decreased apetitite and my sugars improved, but I had reflux, gas, bloating, nausea and diarrhea. After 4 weeks I started .50. 2 weeks in I have bouts of painful constipation then diarrhea, nausea, bloating, gas, reflux and cramping. I've almost vomited a few times. When I eat it feels like the food just sits and sits, barely moving through my gut. My doctor wants me to stick with it, saying that these side effects usually improve, but It's been pretty miserable. I'm thinking I'm going to stop taking it. While Ozempic has been effective in regulating my sugars and losing weight, I don't think it's worth the suffering that I've been enduring on this medication. I understand that studies showed it causing thyroid cancer in mice, but no one knows if it causes thyroid cancer in humans. I don't want to be the guinea pig the drug makers use to find out it does.”

Mac October 18, 2020

“Ozempic has caused me so much constipation !!! I know a side effect is diarrhea but it does the complete OPPOSITE for me . A day or two after I take my injection I have no bowel movements at all !! Every week I am forced to take a laxative . It has caused so many problems for me . Anyone else experienced severe constipation . So frustrated”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2020

“I was terrified to take this after reading some of the reviews online, but I have to say I am so happy I started this drug. I've followed others suggestions about injecting the drug into my upper thigh and not my abdomen. I was on a .25 dose for 4 weeks then moved to .5 and that's what I currently take. My appetite has decreased SIGNIFICANTLY. I was addicted to eating junk foods, and I simply cannot eat them anymore, my stomach cannot handle them. I get full after eating one proper sized meal, and it keeps me going for most of the day, only having a snack like 1 apple in the evening. Side effects were mild for me, had some constipation but I started taking fiber supplements to help with that. I have been on the medication for 7 weeks now and I'm down 10lbs and I feel great. Make sure your doctor gets you to increase the dose slowly, inject into your thigh and be ready to make better dietary choices when starting this drug. I truly believe it saved me from morbid obesity.”

Saucy December 3, 2020

“Been on Ozempic since mid April 2020. All side effects listed with the worst being chronic diarrhea. Nausea has been significant, but has settled to occasionally. Trying to follow a more plant based diet I have lost today an official 60 pounds. I find the less meat I eat, the more energy I have, the better my blood sugars are as well. I am 53, so weight loss isn't impossible for us older ladies...”

Will · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2021

“Did the first 4 weeks o Ozempic @ .25 had mild stomach issues. Nausea was come and go really not consistent. Helped control my eating. Dr said if you over eat or eat like you used to you will throw up. There is no place for the over eating but up. Didn't over eat didn't have much issue. Took stool softener to keep things moving. At the .5 dose ate less but less side effects than my first dose. Glad I have started the med it works.”

jamison42 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2021

“I have been on 0.5 Ozempic for 2 months now. The nausea is no better. I vomit almost every day. Driving down the road and I begin to vomit. Almost caused me to wreck my car twice now. I've lost 30 pounds and feel terrible. My stomach hurts all the time and now my back. I do not urinate much at all even though I've increased water. Calling today and going off it. Losing weight is great, but not at the cost of feeling horrible every day.”

Maria B · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 1, 2021

“I started taking Ozempic in June 2020, initially lost 20 pounds by August. Total of 30 pounds so far, last 10 have been a lot slower. I went from 186 pounds to 156 pounds. A1c went from 6.5 to 5.6. Minimal side effects include occasional nausea and constipation. Started using miralax which has helped. Side effects I have experienced are worth the benefits. I consistently wake up with glucose levels in 80-90 range, never out of green zone on glucometer. I cannot over eat. If I do I feel ill or get heartburn so I have learned my lesson. I am really happy with this medication.”

Chris · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 11, 2021

“I suffered from -Loss of appetite -Exhaustion -Nausea -Vomiting (once a week usually 2 days after my injection) -Low blood sugar events (probably caused because just had no appetite) When I spoke to my pharmacist she encouraged me to try to hang in there telling me it would get better and it finally has. I was not expecting it to take over 3 months though. My readings are all good and I've lost 28lbs so there were benefits to sticking it out but it was hard. I had decided that I would continue to take the medication until my next appointment and if things were still bad I would tell the Dr that I no longer wanted to use it. Things are better and my appointment is next week.”

JE · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2020

“I have been taking Ozempic for 4 months to reduce insulin resistance (caused by polycystic ovary syndrome). The medication has significantly reduced my appetite. I have had a few minor side effects - a stomach cramp here, an episode of diarrhea there...but nothing at all significant. My weight went from 151 (BMI 25.9) to 133 three months later (BMI 22.8). I honestly could not be happier.”

Momo · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 30, 2020

“I have been taking Ozempic for 16 months and have lost 80Lbs! I started at .25 and have moved up to 1. At first I was terribly sick but I took my time to adjust bit by bit while the dose was slowly raised and now I don't feel sick at all from it now! If you can hold on and push through ( the push was hard, REALLY sick some days) it does get better. It has saved my life”

Sane One March 13, 2020

“After reading this, that junk in the fridge will go in the garbage. Do NOT put yourselves through this for weight loss and even diabetes. I mean seriously, which is worse? Pancreatitis? Thyroid cancer? Horrible gastro conditions? Injecting ourselves with this lizard juice can't be good for us. And, it’s beyond expensive to say the least. Pharmaceutical companies should be ashamed of themselves but that’s nothing new. This is totally off the charts. Just say no to drugs these drugs. Please be fair and unbiased and publish this comment, if you’re fair and unbiased!”

Margie September 27, 2020

“I was put on Ozempic after taking Gliperide for several years. I started on 0.25mg then on to 1mg. I started having the nastiest burps ever, then diarrhea 3 to 4 times a day. After 3 months I went to a gastroenterologist and was diagnosed with gastroparesis, a side effect of Ozempic. I have all the side effects nasty ,offensive smelling burps, eye floaters in both eyes, bad diarrhea, stomach pain, now this disease that has caused pre cancer cells. Yes, my appetite has decreased, I have lost 15 lbs in 3 months, my numbers are good. But not worth being sick every day. Just found out my daughter is going thru the same exact thing. So take it at your own risk.”

leilanibz May 19, 2021

“I've been on it for 7 weeks. I have had the runs as others have noted and the sour stomach, but what I also noted is that those symptoms are worse if you've eaten too much, or a heavier meal before bedtime. Small snacks are ok. I don't drink any sugar laden beverages, and I eat lots of fiber already. My diet is mostly vegetarian, but not for any reason other than my stomach just feels better on it. I think that has helped keep the side effects in check. So far I've lost 8 lbs, which TBH is kind of shocking. I never thought my body would give up this weight, but I'm heading in the right direction. Sugars are dropping nicely, especially my fasting sugar. I have that hypo drop and spike when you wake up, and that seems to be levelling off, which is great. So I'm going to keep going. Oh and I didn't jump in with dosing, I started with .25 and kept on that for six weeks and only just now moving to .5. Slow gradual is the right way. Too much at once will make you sick.”

Nw2723092 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2021

“Started April 1. 2021 on Ozempic low dose. 3 weeks intervals it was increased. Side effects were constipation ( went on laxatives to help), pain in my back (severe), bloating. Week 11 increased to 1mg the side effects were major bloating, diarrhea, sounds in my stomach (crazy), nauseous, feeling under the weather. My appetite has decreased to the point that I only eat 2 meals a day that are small. My sugar levels have decreased from 7.1-5.2 A1C. I’ve noticed that I have been kept awake some nights like I’m nervous for some reason.? In the first 3 weeks I’ve lost 15 pounds. Haven’t checked since I want to wait but can feel difference . The pains in the stomach are really uncomfortable and the bloating I will try gas-x, for relief. When I try to eat more than I should my body tells me that I’m full if I go beyond that point I get severe pains in the stomach for hours. But depends on what I eat. Going to stay with smaller portions/healthier foods.”

Dnw2308 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 30, 2020

“I’ve been on Ozempic 6 months. I had gestational diabetes with both children so know I have an increased risk of type 2. I had bloodwork done and unsurprisingly my fasting sugar was high but my a1c was high normal. My doctor prescribed Ozempic and I am currently at 1mg/ week. Results: blood sugar in perfect range, lost 20 pounds (15% body weight), loss of sense of taste for tons of foods, alcohol aversion. All in all I’m far healthier but I do miss enjoying food. I wonder if this is sustainable long term. Time will tell.”

Lynn December 22, 2020

“I took 1 dose of Ozempic and I have been sick ever since, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, stomach cramps and a little dizziness. This is terrible, will never use again. Can someone tell me how long these symptoms last?”

Lem · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2021

“Honestly am so impressed so far with these meds. My weight had been creeping up due to insulin resistance (which itself makes it harder to lose weight) and PCOS. My doctor recommended I try this in conjunction with a very low carb and calorie diet. I started with a half dose of 0.25mg once a week injection and then after 2 weeks up to 0.5mg a week and so far in 6 weeks I’ve lost 15cm from my waist and 9cm off my hips, 5cm off my bust. I have been eating lite and easy roughly 1000 calories a day. Haven’t weighed myself yet as I’d prefer to see the difference in cm. This medication makes me feel a little nauseous the first day or two after my shot but after that I never feel hungry. I can quite easily eat a super small portion and feel full! I drink about 2L of water a day and do about 8000 steps at my job. It really has been great and sooooo much cheaper than Saxenda which was another one I was considering. Hopefully I continue to lose weight!”

Shebee · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2020

“I've been on Ozempic for 8 weeks. At first it I had side effects of a lot of nausea. Now I wake up cold and clammy the last week and very anxious. Overall feeling unwell. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this?”

dsgrey · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 24, 2020

“I've been using Ozempic for 18 months. A1c has dropped from 8.1 to 6.0. Weight dropped from 195lbs to 157lbs. Minor side effects for the 1st two weeks, I dropped most of the weight within 4 months and my A1c went down to 6.3 in those 4 months. My doctor decide to take me off Ozempic after 6 months to see if I'd stabilized but within 4 weeks my A1c was back in the upper 7s. I'm staying on Ozempic for now. Great medication but a ridiculous price.”