User Reviews for Contrave

Learn more about Contrave.

Obesity 896 reviews 62 medications

6.9
Weight Loss 312 reviews 44 medications

6.3
Summary of Contrave reviews 1208 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Contrave

For Obesity "I started Contrave & during the 2nd week became so nauseated that I had to stop taking it. About 4 weeks ago I started to take it again, and have stuck with just the ONE morning pill and have been doing great...I've lost 12 pounds. BUT and here is the biggest thing for those complaining they are "NOT LOSING WEIGHT" I'm also doing this with the Weight Watchers program, meaning I am taking accountability for the food I am putting into my mouth, I'm eating more fruits & veggies, I am not going to the drive through of McDonalds or eating medium size pizza's expecting this medication to help me lose weight. YOU have to change your habits or the medication won't do anything for you. I suggest taking this with a 'diet plan' or 'eating program'"

blondsungoddess (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss "I am on week 5, have lost 9 lbs total. Some might say this is achievable with diet/ exercise & they'd be right. For me, I haven't had time to exercise. My Dr prescribed the following: week 1: 1 pill mid a.m. / food, week 2: add in 2nd pill mid p.m. week 3: 1 mid a.m. & 2 mid p.m. & week 4 & all following: 2 am & 2 pm. Here's the difference: My Dr knew that nausea was a common side effect & also prescribed a nausea medicine for the first month, once daily about 30 min. before my first dose, to help me build a tolerance. I am on week 5 & have run out of the nausea medicine. I'm not feeling nausea but the headaches some speak of are present. I've up my water, add Tylenol as needed & hope it will pass. Let's see. I want to continue."

NCWEDDINGPLANNER July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss "I took Contrave recommended by a friend for seven days. I lost 10lbs as my appetite was supressed completely. My mood stay the same for the 7 days. Upon the 7th day at exactly 8:15pm I had a sudden attack of the brain where my body shifted to the left while driving, my heart begin to increase in rate and I was blacking out as if I was dying. The Dr declared a panic attack. After that my mental state was tampered, my vision was cloudy even in the day time, I cried a lot, my heart was hurting, my eye and face began to twitch. I was losing myself every minute. I would hear voices, this medication disrupts your brain functionality even when you discontinue it. It is dangerous and surely not safe."

New ORLEANS User (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss "Been taking Contrave for 3 weeks. Excellent experience so far. Down about 12 lbs in 5 weeks with the last 3 of those weeks on Contrave. Was very drowsy the first day, other than that the only side effect I've experienced is mild constipation. I take one pill in the morning and one at night, I will stay at the lower dose for as long as it works for me. It took about 2 weeks for me to really notice the effect, but now I am never famished, rarely hungry between meals, no longer obsess about food, get full quicker and find it easy to turn down my normal trigger foods and to stop eating while there is still food on my plate. I should point out that I am very motivated to lose weight which is probably contributing to my success so far."

Levman (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obesity "I am taking contrave for 3 months have not lost anything. I am paying the $300 a bottle for nothing, because my medical insurance won't cover it, the only thing I noticed is my nerves are over whelming , I am so angry more then usually, my question is I am taking zoloft as well - is this changing the effects of the contrave ,if so why didn't any one say something. Like my doctor. At times I feel like ripping someones head off"

Danita326482 July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obesity "Update: Starting weight 221.6lbs on April 8, 2017 today I am 193.4lbs. Seemed to have reached a plateau. Also had a point there over the weekend that I was starting to have cravings and worried that the medication wasn't working as well as it did in the beginning. Chocolate cravings....Hmmmmm....but now I am back on track and I didn't give in to the cravings other than my Carbsmart ice cream bars, and I will add time on my recumbent bike which I have not been doing to help push past this number on the scale. Good luck with your journey!"

HeathsMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss "I am 2 days into week 3. I have had zero side effects but I've had 0 weight-loss and no loss of appetite. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?"

dsb08 (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss "I have been on Contrave since August, 2016. To date I have lost 45 pounds and have not experienced negative side effects. I am able to say no to second helpings and often decline completely foods that I would have readily consumed in excess a year ago. I follow my doctor's instruction to take this medication with a lean protein and I have found this to be effective for tolerance of Contrave. The two times I took Contrave on an empty stomach I felt nauseous, so I simply don't take it on an empty stomach. For me this has helped me tremendously. I can walk and run farther and faster and my blood pressure is stable for the first time in about 6 years."

sanddp (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obesity "I have been on Contrave for 9 months and have lost 80.1 pounds. I still have to do the work (eat right and exercise). For me it has been a tool to help me make better decisions. I still have a ways to go, but am confident I can continue to be successful."

Kellyoke72 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss "I have been on Contrave for 1 month and have not lost an ounce. I am taking it two times a day. It is not curbing my appetite at all. I am active and walk at least 4 or more miles a day and do extensive yard work in the FL heat. Any ideas?"

smcd July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obesity "The headaches were bad. I've been off this medicine for months and can still vividly imagine the awful taste it leaves in your mouth. Like a gagging thirst. The headaches alone make it unbearable but the truly worst part is irritability. "

Crqzy July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obesity "12 weeks and no change. The most expensive weight loss medication I have taken even with the card. Constipation and frequent need to urinate."

RueAnn (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss "I have been taking Contrave for 3 months. As of yesterday, I have lost 1 pounds. I have never had a weight problem, but had to take large amounts of steroids during my chemo for brain cancer. I have not been able to lose any of the weight I have gained until I tried Contrave. I have not experienced any side effects."

BlondeKelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss "Have been on this med for 3 months and down 20 lbs!! I have NEVER been able to loose weight, not even when working with a personal trainer 4 days a week. No side effects or jitters. It is not a magic pill. I find I do not think about food from one meal to the next like idid on weight watchers. If I start a meal with just half of what I have and walk away, I find that I do not even want the rest 10 min later. I eat to live and not live to eat. The weight I lost took me 10 years (of severe stressful times) when emotional eating was the only way to get through the day. I can't wait to continue and get rid of the next 20 and then 20 more to go! Ps, my ins didn't cover so I got the coupon. Thank you Contrave!!"

Nurse Kate (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss "Just started 2nd week... no side effects... not losing weight yet... stay tuned"

Lovefood (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obesity "I started Contrave June 1, 2017. I followed up to the third week because of the dizziness and sickness. I continued the third week and switched the times (two at night, one in the morning). I went back to the doctor on June 30, 2017 and gained 1 pound. It felt like I was doing good. Apparently not. I felt so discouraged. My doctor encouraged me to continue and also added B12 injections. We will see in another 2 months. Hopefully, I'll see results by then."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss "Update: A very happy overweightgrammy here. Drum roll please..... DOWN 24lbs. !!!!!! I am so very happy. This is truly working for me. I have lost 5 inches off my hips and 3 inches off my waist. I have only been taking this for about 3 month and I am thrilled. I have 52 lbs to goal. I'm excited."

overwieghtgrammy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obesity "Female, 26, SW: 209 Currently on week 3 of Contrave. I've experienced all of the bad side effects (dry mouth, insane nausea, trouble sleeping at night, drowsiness during the day, vomiting, mental fogginess, severe dizziness, some anxiety, and weird dreams). Started to feel better by end of 2nd week, still dizzy but not debilitating. Usually workout 4x/week and can't because of dizziness. Increased to 3/day yesterday and the side effects are almost as bad as 1st week. I have noticed I don't have the cravings I usually do and can say no to food. However, I am still pretty hungry throughout the day. I'm hoping the side effects will go away and this will begin working. Will update when I have weighed in. Don't think I've lost any weight."

Autumn0725 (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss "I started taking contrave 4 days ago. The first 2 days were great; no side effects and lots of energy. Last 2 days I've had terrible headache and nausea. However, I have already lost 4 pounds and have no cravings or ability to eat very much. I read on another chat site to try Dramamine at night and Bonine in morning. (Dramamine causes drowsiness and Bonnie doesn't.) Took Dramamine about an hour ago and feel much better! I also drank peppermint tea and have been chewing peppermint gum. These have helped as well., and chewing gum can help with dry mouth too. I do start to get some cravings towards the evening. I'm hopeful that the second dose a day helps with that. I'm not ready to give up on it yet since I'm startling to lose. Good luck all"

Peachymom (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss "I started last Friday (6/23). The first four days I had a constant nauseous feeling, but not too bad. Day 5 that went away, and I have noticed at this point I do get a burst of energy not long after taking it so when I start my 2nd pill tomorrow evening, I plan on taking it closer to 4 p.m. so I don't have trouble sleeping. I am down 2.5 pounds. Cravings are gone, and I am able to focus on work instead of constantly thinking about when my next snack or meal is going to be and what I will have. I am not looking for a miracle, just looking to be the best ME I can be."

Yiv (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obesity "I've been on Contrave for 6 weeks and am 20 pounds down (Starting weight 308lb now 288lb)!! At first the side effects were pretty bad. Highly recommend to increase doses when starting this medication as the website suggests. I experienced a bit of dizziness, sweating, and dry mouth are the main side effects for me. I made myself continue on the medication and the side effects lessened as my body got used to it. Now the side effects are minimal and worth dealing with for the results I am seeing. Hang in there if your trying it out! I rarely actually feel hungry. I eat small meals just to keep my body going. The best thing and most important for me is that I DO NOT crave anything like I did before, so I can control my eating choices. What a God send!!"

Val3ri3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss "I started today, took my first pill after breakfast and feel a little odd, some tinging in my jaw and left side neck tightness but is mild and seems to come and go, a little dizzy and thirsty and am on my 2nd bottle of water. Tomorrow I'm going to leave out the coffee and see if that makes a difference. I have a desk job where I sit anywhere from 8-14 hours a day, I have put on about 25lb in past year and am having joint and leg issues as a result and no energy all along with the middle aged upper stomach bloat...I had enough and finally asked for a weight loss pill to help kickstart some weight loss so I can feel better and get more active again. Hoping to only need the pills short term. I will update my progress after a week. Start 200lb."

Begging for fit at forty (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss "Only on day two but I am cautiously optimistic. Day one I was amped like crazy and felt no desire to eat until my stomach was practically eating itself. Took dose at 6am. Ate a snack at 11:30 and a third of a salad at 2. By then my stomach was pissed and cramped for an hour. I had a persistent bad headache that carried over to today. To be fair, I am also fighting a head cold so I assign blame to that more than med, for now. Dinner was a small fruit and granola bowl. I bought a cookie and only ate one bite. Did not desire any more. Today again 6am. I forced myself to eat at 7:30 and felt much better, less amped. No cramping. Small lunch again, really just eating because I know I need to. Cravings are way down. Headache got better as day went on."

HeatherN June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss "DON'T give up! At first I thought the pill wasn't doing ANYTHING for me. I was still "hungry", craving things, over eating, etc... I was really about to go to the doctor & say this pill is NOT working. About the 2nd week taking it I FINALLY noticed a difference. I wasn't as hungry as much. I wasn't craving anything. My body says I'm hungry but my mind says I'm not. I wanted a cookie (or so I thought) so I purchased 2 of them. I only ate half of one & gave the rest to my friend just because I didn't want it anymore. This pill takes time to actually build up in your system. I just started week 3 and I've lost 6 pounds & 2.5 inches in my waist. I worked out week 1 everyday. Week 2 I didn't work out at all."

S. Dani (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss "This med is horrible! First of all I do not see how the FDA approved this. The side effects are unbearable. It caused me extreme nausea, dry mouth, and a zombie like feeling. In the beginning I felt wired and had insomnia. Then I was really sleepy. I had to take naps. I felt very irritable and just out if it. I had constipation and a itchy burning rash appeared on my skin. I lost a few pounds the first week but that was only because I was too sick to eat. I would not recommend this even if it was free!"

CaseyBH June 25, 2017