User Reviews for Contrave

Learn more about Contrave.

Obesity 729 reviews 62 medications

7.1
Weight Loss 131 reviews 44 medications

6.3
Summary of Contrave reviews 860 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Contrave

For Weight Loss "I am on day 5 of taking Contrave. I usually think about food all day and everything in between is a major inconvenience. Day 5 of this medication I almost am forgetting to eat, I have more energy, my mind is quieter, I feel overall more peaceful than normal. I've lost 3 pounds already! I get full about half way through a small meal which is a big deal for me because usually my appetite is insatiable. I haven't had any of the side effects people have mentioned except that my eyes feel a little weird, which makes me feel a little dizzy, but it's barely noticeable. I have had some mild headaches but I think that's because I usually drink a lot of coffee and I haven't craved it as much so I havent had as much."

Kate123456789 (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2017

For Obesity "Please be careful on these meds. My husband used Neltrexone to get off pain meds after an accident. He had an extremely hard time getting off it because it sticks to the receptors in your brain. He was severely depressed and took over a year for all of the withdrawal symptoms to go away. It affected the quality of our lives."

Shae3838 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

For Weight Loss "I am about 65 pounds overweight and decided to ask my doctor for a diet supplement to assist with weight loss. Because of the medications that I was already taking, Contrave seemed like the best weight loss supplement for me. The first week of taking this medication I lost 4 pounds and was very excited. However, my excitement was short lived. I did not lose any more weight during the entire two and a half months that I was taking this drug. I exercised, modified my diet, ate smaller portions and nothing seemed to help. The only thing I did get from taking Contrave was a bad case of dry mouth."

Carjam1206 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2017

For Obesity "I cannot say enough positive about this medication. I started the end of March 2016, now 42 weeks in I am at 112lbs down. I work closely with my physician with monitoring my weight and diet. I followed all the precautions with the medication. Eliminating fat from my diet completely. Working out, etc. I knew it would not be a quick fix and with this med you get what you put into it. No serious side effects in the beginning, some tiredness and nausea. But that is going to happen ANYTIME you start a new medication and your system gets used to it. I also quit smoking after 20 yrs day 1 on this medication. This med it not for people looking for a quick fix, if you do not have the determination and commitment it will not work for you."

Megan0831 January 14, 2017

For Weight Loss "My first day was awful and the next two days weren't any better,but by day four the upset stomach had stopped. By my second week I noticed that I was not able to finish my food, even if I wanted because it looked so good,I just didn't feel like eating it anymore. As I continued to take the the medicine I figured out that I can't eat like I use to and I never felt better, so far I have listed 3lbs over 2 weeks. I enjoy this medicine because its helping me be the person that I know that I could be."

Just2cute January 14, 2017

For Weight Loss "I began taking Contrave on November 25, 2017. I am relatively active but have a tremendous appetite, sweets, carbs, chocolate, etc. I had no willpower, so my Dr. put me on this medication. Today, January 13, 2017, I have lost 20 lbs. and am encouraged. I did, however, have one setback. I didn't pay enough attention to the warnings about taking cold medications. I got a pre-Christmas cold and began cough syrups, cough drops, and a well-known mucous remedy. Within 3 days I had developed small bumps that looked like bug bites. The next day they had turned into rashes on my hands, legs, shoulders, and back. The Dr. advised my coming off the drug - the rashes disappeared in 2 days. I am back on for 2 weeks with no side effects."

RHJ January 13, 2017

For Weight Loss "I am only on day one of taking Contrave but I thought I'd write a review anyway. Many people experienced severe side effects right away, but I took Contrave with food and drank about 2 cups of water after and continued to drink water all day I feel completely normal after about 24 hours. I just wanted to put that out there for people who are considering giving it a try. Will post again next week. I got a coupon from my doctor for the cost, but it is still going to be $90 a month. Very expensive but hopefully worth it."

Kate123456789 January 12, 2017

For Obesity "Great for stopping cravings!"

Nicoluca January 11, 2017

For Weight Loss "I knew to expect side effects and mentally prepared myself to push through as best I could. But as the constant heaviness in my head, the whole-body dizziness, loss of coordination, blurred vision, constant nausea and fear of suddenly projectile vomiting at my work desk became harder to cope with, I gave myself permission to quit. As much as I want this medication to work for me, I cannot imagine putting myself through 2 more weeks of titrating my dose up to 4 pills a day, only to then find that my body never adjusted to the dosing and I felt sick nearly every moment of the day for a month only to have to titrate back down over the course of another month. I got up to 2 pills and just couldn't take anymore of the unwavering side effects."

I didn't last 2 weeks (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

For Weight Loss "I could really use some outside opinions. I have been on CONTRAVE for 6 months. I lost 15 lbs the first 6 weeks, but I was watching my diet, and walking 3x/week. After the first 3 months, the weight came back...with a vengeance, and I found myself feeling a sense of sadness that I hadn't felt before. The appetite returned with ferocity, and I haven't changed anything - diet, dosage, nothing. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Has anything changed with the medication? It just seems so strange...especially reading some of the success stories. Anyone??"

M&SB January 9, 2017

For Weight Loss "I'd rather weigh 1000 lbs than to take another one of these pills. Was prescribed this by a PA who thought it was better that addipex. I didn't even take the full dose. Within 30 mins after taking just 1 pill I was deathly sick. I couldn't even hold my head up. Dizzy, headache, nauseated, throwing up, can't breathe. feeling like death it was so bad. Nothing is worth feeling this bad. 1 is the lowest rating it would allow. But my rating is a NEGATIVE 1000"

DeathlySick (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2017

For Obesity "I've taken contrave because when I took the first pill,a few hours later I had the worst headache but I had read and understand the side effects. I continued until day 4 and the headaches got worse. My hands were shaking,I had lost my appetite completely. Being that I work in pharmacy both the pharmacist an technicians expressed their concerns from the moment I decided to fill my prescription. I just kept on getting this bad feeling during those 4days I had taken contrave. I later come to find out that contrave controls some of your brain function that sends signals to your stomach so it thinks you have no appetite. But while its doing that to your nuero functions it can also cause you to have seizures. I hate this,medication, never again."

Christy M January 9, 2017

For Obesity "My Dr prescribe contrave for me in October 2016. I waited about a week to start them as I was a little nervous about the side affects and the cost was very high. Anyway I began a week later and as of now a little over two months later I have lost 20lbs so far its working and my side affects were minimal hopefully it will continue this way."

T Lamb (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2017

For Weight Loss "I am a 34 year old mother of 3, and I have struggled with my weight my entire life. I've been on Contrave for 4 months and lost 29lbs. I started at 194 (I'm 5'7) and down to 165. This is nothing short of a miracle for me. It works completely differently than typical diet pills. It does not make me jittery or give me a rapid heart rate. It *somehow* allows me to say no to, or greatly limit my intake of, the foods I love. In general, my appetite is decreased by at least 70% and sweets (my kryptonite) are not something I have a compulsive need for anymore. It gives me slight headaches and nausea if I drink alcohol. I've heard it makes some very sick, but I haven't experienced this. I am SO glad took a chance on it. Life changing for me."

LDLMom January 6, 2017

For Weight Loss "If I could give this medication a 0 I would. After lots of research and talking with my doctor, I looked forward to trying this medication as I have struggled to lose weight after having my second child. I took the first dose at 8:30 am. By 9 am I felt extremely nauseous and dizzy. I called my doctor and she recommended that I take some anti nausea meds I had. They did nothing to quell the sea of vomit that ultimately came pouring out of me. I vomited all morning, into the afternoon. Now, I've been very ill with food poisoning, stomach flu, etc, but this was a new type of evil as the nausea didn't subside even the tiniest bit, as it does w food poisoning etc, after vomiting. There was no relief. I strongly recommend not taking this."

Hjdornean January 6, 2017

For Weight Loss "I have PCOS and hypothyroidism so losing weight is difficult for me. My Doctor prescribed Contrave 3 months ago. At first, the side effects were very difficult. I was nauseated and I felt really dizzy. At first, I didn't lose that much weight with it either; however, after about 2 weeks started losing weight and am currently down 25 pounds. I was very lucky as my prescription drug insurance changed at the beginning of this year and the new plan covers it with only a copay of $80 for a 3-months supply. I am thrilled with that. I have had constipation, but nothing that I cannot handle. I would suggest this drug if you have metabolic diseases. For me, the cravings disappeared, but I feel my body is burning more calories in the process."

A. Ice January 4, 2017

For Weight Loss "I experienced problems with severe constipation when on the full dose (4 pills a day) and massive hair loss, especially in the shower. I did lose weight but the side effects were too severe and outweighed the benefits."

PomMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2017

For Weight Loss "I am back on Contrave after a break. I took it for 1 year until my Rx ran out & my wedding was over :) Had lost a total of 35lbs, 3 dress sizes, and went from 36 to 31 BMI. Was off it for about 4 months and gained back 10lbs in the first month or so. I tapered off the drug just like I had tapered on and I think that helped to lessen the side effects, even though the cravings came back VERY strong about 2 weeks after I had completely stopped taking it. Things have plateaued now and I am losing weight on my own, just not as fast as with Contrave, so am going back on to get to my goal BMI of 25."

redstate January 3, 2017

For Weight Loss "I have been taking Contrave for about a year and a half now. Within the first 3-4 months I lost a total of 32lbs. I have never had any side effects while on it. The reason it does not get a perfect rating is because last October a new company purchased and started producing it. Since then they have been price gauging and ripping people off. The previous company charged $60/bottle; the new company charges $90. Good luck finding an insurance company that covers it; 99% don't. My doctor and I are looking for other options now. Not very many people can afford paying over a $1000/yr for medicine. Unless they lower the price I don't foresee them lasting much longer, which is sad because it really is a great medication."

Jerney (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 3, 2017

For Weight Loss "I started taking contrave in August of 2016 and it worked for me the first day. I did suffer from nausea sometimes but to me the medicine did more good than bad. I have lost just about 50 pounds since August. It suppresses my appetite and I have no desire to eat junk food. I don't eat fried food anymore either. You have to do your part for the medicine to do it's part. No such thing as a "magic pill" but it does help me make better food choices and I exercise as well. All in all I like the medication"

Ayona (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2017

For Weight Loss "Took Contrave the same day I gave up Lortabs because of the interaction warning & just like that: no opioid withdrawal & free of Lortabs! Only thing: my insurance wouldn't pay for this drug....it was too new & experimental. Someone spread the word that this miracle drug can sure stop severe opioids addiction!!!!!!"

Ucan2ok (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2017

For Weight Loss "I was prescribed Contrave when I talked with my doctor about how much weight I've gained recently and my inability to lose weight even with a healthier diet. I just started my 3rd week and am still doing the 1 pill in the morning, 1 pill late afternoon phase since I've already seen improvement in my portion control and have been loosing weight. This has helped me realize how many snacks and how much food I was actually eating at meals. I (for the first time in a long time) can say no to sweets and extra food just because it's there. In less than 3 weeks I've lost 8lbs. I experienced a tight feeling in my stomach for 2 days, but that was very minimal and is gone. No other side effects. Will update review at the end of my prescription"

HCarter55 January 2, 2017

For Obesity "Just saw a commercial for this, today. I don't like the idea of naltrexone in it. I won't be trying it. Thanks, but no thanks!"

Marlenead January 2, 2017

For Obesity "I'm on the 4th week of taking Contrave, with 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. So far the only side effects I've experienced was in the second week, I started getting dry mouth and motion sickness when in the car. The motion sickness stopped after a week. I still get dry mouth but I can deal with that. The first 3 weeks it didn't seem to suppress my appetite, but I successfully stopped a life long habit of drinking soda with no cravings. Since I started taking the full dose it's now controlling my appetite. The past 4 days I have no desire to snack and I feel very full after eating half of a meal and I continue to have that full feeling long after eating. So far 5 lbs down with no exercise. I'm optimistic, time will tell."

E.Diane January 1, 2017

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obesity "Took for two months and couldn't take it a day more. I did lose seven pounds in those two months but I don't know if it was from the medication or the vomiting I did every single day while on it. I didn't have much of an appetite which was a plus, again though I was sick every day. I couldn't even make it up to the full dose because it made me so ill. Vomiting, headaches, dry mouth, diarrhea, extreme mood swings, shakes, sleeplessness, and heart palpitations and pains. I stopped at two months which was a year ago today and I still am having long term heart problems from this stuff. That's under my doctors words not mine. I do need help with weighloss but have decided to eat better and exercise to my ability. No side effects from these!"

Lolo123 December 31, 2016