User Reviews for Contrave

Weight Loss
6.4

Summary of Contrave reviews 6.7 1,599 reviews

Reviews for Contrave

For Weight Loss "I started taking Contrave on April 19th 2018. I am a 5'6" male with high blood pressure and a family history that includes heart disease. On that date I weighed 204lbs. Today August 13, 2008, I weigh 171 lbs. The medicine is an excellent appetite suppressant, and if you really have the desire to diet and lose the weight it seems to work very well. I exercise 2-3 times a week (walking 3 - 4 miles or golf ). I experienced some dry mouth and constipation when I first started the medicine, but I found that if I eat clean the constipation isn't an issue. But if I go a few days without at least a salad a day included in my diet I will tend to have that symptom . I tend to have an addictive personality by nature and it has seemed to help with other areas as well. I feel like i am more balanced and not nearly as obsessive as I once was. I hope to continue this medicine for the long haul."

GWBIII (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2018

For Weight Loss "I am only one week in so far. I am so glad I read the reviews here because I would have thought all of my nausea was abnormal. Day three and four were the worse by far. I am feeling much better today. No nausea at all. I did notice that when I eat anything that has a lot of carbs I feel sick. I had pancakes and I was really sick afterwards. The last couple days I made sure to lay off the carbs and I feel better. I have to say that really helps curb the urge to snack. Today at work there are the usual candy bars and chocolate there to tempt me but also someone brought in cookies. No temptation at all. I am eating my yogurt."

Crystal H (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2018

For Obesity "I am 5’9” and 285lb. I absolutely need to drop weight. Any more and I’m considering surgery! I really want this to work for me so that I can avoid more drastic measures. I just finished the first week and I have most definitely noticed a decrease in appetite and cravings. I have lost a few pounds this week. I do have some side effects with just one pill. My sleep is poor and I’m having crazy dreams when I do sleep. So far, that’s it. I’m a little worried about the constipation.... I sincerely hope that I can drop down to my goal of 165-175 and stay there indefinitely. I know it will take time and effort, but I’m desperate for a change."

Toga (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2018

For Weight Loss "I started Contrave in January of 2018 and have lost 50 pounds. (185lb to 135lb) It has changed my life and I look good and feel good. I did not have any side effects other than constipation and bad taste in my mouth. I really didn't follow the recommended dose at beginning. I was taking four a day by the second week since I was not experiencing any major side effects. I did have a little brain fog off and on during the first month but I was determined to see this through. The first 4-6 weeks it really helped me avoid sweets and pop. I try to take the pills around 8 am and 4 pm. I've gone from a tight size 14 to a size 6. Don't give up, and don't obsess over your weight at the beginning. "

Fortune 1265 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2018

For Weight Loss "Started Contrave back on 9/28/17. I followed the rules and escalated the dose accordingly, the first 4 weeks. No result the first month. The second month, I started exercising (60 min. cardio) 3-4x a week. The weight started shedding. I've had no side effects. My appetite has decreased tremendously. I only take two tablets daily after the 3rd month. Starting weight 168 lbs. My current weight is 150 lbs. My goal is to lose 10 more lbs."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 9, 2018

For Obesity "I started this medication on July 22, 2018. I'm 42yrs old 398lbs 5/7 in height. The first day I ate the same, dry mouth and lots of sweating. In fact sweating is all I seem to do. I lost my appetite around 2-3 day on the pill. within the first week looks like I dropped 10lbs and I feel smaller. My clothes are loose fitting and I can see my legs have dropped weight. I don't exercise but I do have lots of energy at the moment. I have a bad knee which requires replacement surgery and I'm often in so much pain I cry. Since I started this pill my pain has decreased. I can now walk without so much pain and I have even started dancing round more. Even if I can't drop all my weight. Just in the short time this medication has given me a will for life again. Thank you. LATEST UPDATE. I have tried to increase to taking one pill in the morning and one at night but unable to. I find myself unable to sleep at night."

KissyZ August 8, 2018

For Obesity "I have been taking this pill now for 2 weeks. I lost the 3 lbs the 1st week. Since then I have gained like 6lbs. However, I can tell that it's curbing my appetite, but no more weight loss. I'm trying to decide if I continue. I'm totally sleep deprived and constipated to the max degree...Is it worth it to continue?"

msevans1 (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2018

For Weight Loss "I have been on contrave for 20 weeks and lost 40 lb. The first month was hard. I had nausea and occasional vomiting. I had headaches, some dizziness. After a month & starting the full dose, I began to notice a difference. The nausea became less, along with the headaches & dizziness. This medication helps curb my appetite and cravings. I eat half as much because I feel fuller faster. I haven't exercised & I don't follow a certain diet. I hate exercise and I hate counting calories LOL . I don't have sugar cravings. I also take Prozac for depression. The contrave along with the prozac has helped my depression tremendously. I feel great. I feel a motivation that I have not felt in a very long time. I love the fact that this is a medication that you can take longer than most other diet meds. If you can make it through the first month the medication truly helps."

LJ August 7, 2018

For Weight Loss "I was losing weight but today, I have decided to stop taking Contrave. I wouldn't be able to eat anything at all. I felt like puking whenever I tried to eat something. Weeks without eating, just drinking. My eyesight went from perfect to blurry. I now need glasses, never needed them in my life until taking Contrave. All of a sudden I have this pain on my side, I'm constipated. I have this bad taste in my mouth 24/7. I thought at first it was something I ate, but it wasn't that. I brushed my teeth and a while later I felt the same taste so there I go brushing my teeth again. I feel like this all day long. It's horrible. It really isn't worth it."

Lala (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2018

For Obesity "I just started on my 4th week of taking Contrave. This drug was recommended by my therapist due to being a compulsive eater and the mild antidepressant benefit. I was already on a low cal low carb meal plan and doing food journaling but wasn’t losing weight cause of the stress eating. The first week was a learning experience. The first and second day I learned that if you eat something fatty then you will get sick no matter what time you took the pills. Your body will reject fatty foods. I think that is why people suffered from headaches and nausea. I have not had a problem since I cut out those foods. If I ate too much or ate even though my brain said not too then I would feel like I was having a panic attack. I do have a very active job and I sometimes walk. I lost nothing the first week and over the last two weeks I lost 6 pounds. My goal is to lose 50 pounds."

SK (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2018

For Weight Loss "I’ve been taking contrave for 5 months. I had minor headaches, nausea but never threw up in first two weeks. I was more focused on work and not snacking. Laser focused. This is not a pill that will cause you to lose weight by itself. This is a medication that helps prevent your food addiction and help you consciously eat. In addition to my daily dosage I workout 2-3 times a week and I’ve joined weight watchers. In the past five months I’ve lost 23 pounds. My heart rate has been higher than prior to taking contrave but only by a bit. Losing that weight has taken a lot of work and still struggling with cravings around that time of month. But you will yourself easier to stay away. For me I’ve gained energy from my weight loss not from a pill. I’ve noticed that I’m less creative and more direct. things don’t bother me as much. But this pill hasn’t changed my personality. Try to stick with it for at least three months to fully assess if this is a product for you."

Catacat August 5, 2018

For Obesity "Today was my first day! I took my first pill at 5:00 am and have not had any side effects till 6:00 pm this evening. I am extremely nauseous stomach hurts with a lot of diarrhea! I’m so disappointed! I don’t think I will be able to take this medicine."

DLB (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2018

For Weight Loss "I started contrave 6/24/18 and I have only gained weight. I have a little more self control but nothing is happening for me. I started at 202lbs and now weight 207lb. If you follow the dosage your Dr prescribes it will get better. I only had side effects one day and I was just nauseous. Is something wrong with me? How does it work for others and not me? I want to give up. It is my fault though. No exercise and still eat more than I should."

Crystal (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2018

For Weight Loss "HI EVERYONE! so like all of you I was wary of starting contrave due to bad reviews. Well I started contrave on FEB. 12th 2018 at 250lbs. Now I've come back to shed a little light in the dark! JULY 30th 2018. I'm 155 lbs and so happy. CONTRAVE does do its job but you have to let it. Don't give up because of headaches and etc. Contrave does come with a lot of side effects but you have to let your body get use to it. Adapt to the change. It took me awhile but I did do it. Any spare chance I got I was working out. Even for a few minutes in my bedroom every night. Eating right also helped, fruits, vegetables, I did have the bad constipation and headaches but I found ways to look passed it and what helped was vitamins, fibers natural medicines...!!! Anything to keep me pushing forth!! I hope this helped reassure a few people that you can do it - because I did."

STAYHOPEFULL (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2018

For Obesity "6/24/18 l was 291 lbs Starting weight. My first week l lost 8 pounds l did not experience any side effects except dry mouth which is OK that increase my water intake. 2nd week l lost 5 lbs again no side effects only dry mouth. 3rd week l lost 1 lb, as long as the numbers are going down right?. 4th week l gained 2 lbs , it was my fault. 5th week l lost 9 pounds , THAT'S 21 POUNDS LOST IN 35 DAYS!! NO EXERCISE AT ALL!! but l am going to start my workouts soon, l try to eat healthy low carb diet no fatty or greasy foods, my portion intake have 90% decreased , l can't finish a single serving of food on my plate, most of the time l forget to eat because l am not hungry especially after my first meal of the day, dinner time is the same thing just few bites l am full. Contrave is working for me so far. I will come back and give an update for my next results."

Desperate2loose (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2018

For Obesity "I started out taking one pill a day. Appetite was suppressed and mood was better. Week two I started getting hot flashes and then cold sweats occasionally, a little jittery. Was able to make healthy food choices. Walked on the treadmill 30 minutes a day. The third week when I went up to two in the morning and one at night, I thought I was going to die. I have never had such violent vomiting. (And I’ve had gallstones). I was vomiting blood, dizzy, couldn’t keep anything down. Diarrhea. Horrible headache. I thought I had food poisoning. Tonight, even though I went back down to one pill twice a day, I am having severe depression, self loathing. Smelled cigarette smoke all day and couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. It’s 3 am and I can’t sleep. The only weight I have lost is the two pounds I lost from vomiting all day. This is crazy. I don’t really know where to go from here. I’m afraid to quit cold turkey."

MissM July 27, 2018

For Weight Loss "Only took one pill and had the worst two days ever. Had a horrific headache (still a residual one 2 days later). Felt very nauseous, shaky and unable to sleep. Stomach hurt. Definitely not worth feeling like this. I’m hoping today I will feel much better. Waste of $253."

Bobbie (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2018

For Obesity "I started Contrave in March and have lost 30 lbs. without exercise. My Dr. had me start taking it in the evening to bypass some side effects. Due to the cost I decided to go off cold turkey. Then after seeing my dr. I decided to keep taking it. I started back with taking 2 twice a day. I was so nauseous. That was no fault of the medicine. I was at fault. I should have started with taking 1 and built up to the full dose. I would highly recommend it and don’t let the negative reviews scare you. Most people only write reviews when they are unhappy. For that reason, I wanted to write a good one. I’ve justified the cost by reminding myself that I would have spent more in buying snacks and sodas. If you decide to start taking it, be sure to go to the Contrave website and print the savings card. It should only cost you $99 a month. Remember, not everyone has a bad experience with it so give it a try and be patient. I didn’t lose right away. It takes time but is so worth it. Good luck."

Tybeegrl67 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2018

For Weight Loss "Hi, I want to help all of you as I was once 245 pounds. I am now 129 lbs which I have maintained for 7 years. I did not have any weight loss surgeries. People ask me, “What did you eat? How did you do it? Tell me your secret!” So I will share with all of you my secret. People don’t set out to become fat. People don’t set out to take drugs. I don’t believe when I hear “ I just love food.” We use drugs/food/alcohol to cover up our pain. I think food is one of the most difficult “drugs” because we always have to eat. My secret is that you have to have therapy to find out what causes you to do self destructive behavior. I had it for three years and then something happened. I was no longer focused on food. So the weight started coming off. I don’t believe in fad diets so I ate what I wanted but smaller portions. The weight came off. Of course I had to have surgery to remove excess skin. I’m much happier both physically & mentally. So that’s my secret. I hope it helps"

Ondine July 24, 2018

For Weight Loss "I started Contrave 6/2/18, the first week I experience headache and nausea. On week two and three less appetite and dry mouth which was ok because it help me drink more water. Now I am on day 2 of week three , 2 am and 1 in the pm. It is now 17 July and when I take the pill I feel like something is stuck in my chest but I haven’t gain or lost any weight. I hope week 4 brings great things."

Trinigal (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

For Weight Loss "I started taking this medication on Wednesday and I have been sick with nausea ever since. I have no hunger and having to force myself to eat a banana or something. How long does the nausea normally last bc I’ve thought about stopping it"

Babyd July 13, 2018

For Obesity "I started this medication 4/8/17 5ft 3in 221.6lbs 47yrs old. Pants size 18-20. As of March 2018 I was 174lbs size 12 pants. My 24 yr old daughter said I didn't look like the same woman who raised her. Because I have had 2 surgeries requiring sedation and opioid pain medication since mid March, I had to stop Contrave because it doesn't allow those to work. I have continued to eat the same, yet gained 12 pounds. My cravings are back, and I have given in once in a while and ate a few cookies. No eating out, no big carbs, no extra calories, the Contrave seems it will have to be life long. I'm depressed over the weight regain. I don't understand. I know it's the Contrave. It resets your "burn" point for the fat you store in your body. There is no going off to maintain the weight loss."

HeathsMom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2018

For Weight Loss "I've used this for 8 weeks and gone down about 25 lbs (11kg) together with increased exercise. So far I have managed to stay away from all sweets, haven't eaten anything else other than 3 meals per day of normal food and had no cravings for alcohol (another positive effect). There's no way I could have stayed away from overeating/unhealthy food for this long without Contrave so it's very effective in my opinion. It does reduce hunger a bit, but the greatest effect is the disappeared food cravings. The side effects were very mild (occasional mild nausea which went away quickly) and only happened the weeks when I started or increased dosage. I haven't felt any side effects in several weeks now, been taking 4 pills/day for 5 weeks. The only thing I'm worried about is the decreasing effect of Contrave, lately I haven't felt it suppress my appetite as much as in the beginning."

Nico (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2018

For Weight Loss "This is a serious weight loss drug with serious side effects but if you are dedicated to your weight loss it's worth it. I stayed on it for six weeks and lost 25 pounds along with diet and exercise. Personally it was a good jump starter but not something to stay on long term. I experienced all of the side effects at some point during those six weeks. I've lost a total of 50 pounds."

Lei (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2018

For Weight Loss "Contrave did nothing good for me. It gave me bad headaches, bad sweats, and made me more irritable. Also did not lessen my cravings. Made me more hungry, and made me crave chocolate even more. I actually gained weight!!! Thumbs away down for Contrave. Wish they had a money back guarantee. Too expensive for it not to work!!!!"

Sue (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2018