User Reviews for Contrave

Weight Loss
6.4

Summary of Contrave reviews 6.7 1,533 reviews

Reviews for Contrave

For Weight Loss "Took Contrave for 7 weeks. Made my heart beat off the charts and increased my BP (never in my 47 years have I had high blood pressure until taking Contrave). Did NOT suppress appetite, but INCREASED my appetite. I gained 7lbs. Oh well, I tried it. Hoping it works for others."

KMH (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2018

For Weight Loss "I’ve seen some very positive experiences with this medicine. I’m certainly not one of them. Most crucially it did nothing to suppress appetite or aid with weight loss. This makes all the side effects tough to bear. It completely destroyed my sexual function. It caused headaches and dizziness. It caused severe fatigue. Even stopping was hard. Withdrawal was around two weeks of headaches, lethargy, and dizzy spells. Just awful. I highly suggest you try several other meds before you try this one. It also wasn’t covered by insurance, so it runs $100/month, and even that is only because of a discount card."

Scott (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2018

For Weight Loss "I've been on this several days with no side effects. All cravings pretty much gone. Portions down 50%. I couldn't care a less if I have morning coffee. I am liking this so far. Standing next to a bag of sour cream and onion potatoes chips and having no desire to eat one. This drug changes everything!!!! Hopefully will continue."

PF (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2018

For Weight Loss "I only been taking Contrave for 2 days and since I been taking them I stay in the bathroom doing number 1's not 2's. I really cannot tell a different that because I just started it but once I've been on it in 4 months I will let you guys know my out come. Does anybody else have to use the bathroom all the time sense they been taking Contrave?"

Chandris7 May 12, 2018

For Weight Loss "I haven't lost any weight, I've actually gained because all I want to do on contrave is sleep and I'm still just as hungry...I'm about 3/4 through my first bottle and if there are no improvements in fatigue and appetite control then I will not refill the rx."

Rp (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

For Obesity "I have taken several medicines over the years, a couple for weight control. I HAVE NEVER had such a terrible reaction to a pill in my life..I'm a 51 year old female. Took the one AM pill for five days; thought I would seriously need to visit the ER. EXTREME dizziness, horrible nausea, and, as someone who has had a lifetime headaches, I have never, ever, had such terrible headaches. I've been off it for three days and am still feeling lingering effects. I'm truly shocked that this medicine is still being prescribed. The only positive was that it did curb my appetite...but the horrible side effects were not worth it. Don't recommend."

Hedda Lettuce (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

For Weight Loss "I’ve been on Contrave for about a month now. I am on the full dose of 2x morning and 2x night. It seems to be working well. Down 10lbs with no side effects that I was worried about getting after reading reviews. I do have one side effect and as far as I know it’s because of the Wellbutrin in the Contrave. It’s INCREASED sex drive! I’m not complaining but wasn’t expecting it either. I’ve replaced my snacking on food to one on one exercise with my husband. It would be nice to know I’m not the only one with this unusual side effect?!?"

Sandy (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2018

For Weight Loss "I do not recommend this drug to anyone. I was on it for not even 2 months. Yes I lost a few pounds but it almost cost me my life. I became more and more depressed while taking this drug. I felt horrible about my self and I would wake up every morning feeling more tired than when I went to bed. I would get angry over the smallest things. Finally I reached the lowest of the low. If my husband had not been with me and stopped me I would not be alive and he would have lost his wife and our 5 kids would be without their mom. Please do not take this very risky medicine. Being over weight is far better than being dead from a weight loss medication."

HB (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2018

For Obesity "I am in my third week and have not experienced any of the negative side effects. I can tell that I have no sweet cravings and I eat smaller portions to be full. I have tried many weight loss programs and so far this seems to be a great addition to assist with my lifestyle change. Very excited!"

Mom23 (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2018

For Obesity "Awful. This made me soooo constipated. I had no extra energy, my appetite stayed the same, and I had to give myself enemas just to use the bathroom. It did make me quit biting my nails which I'm sure is the wellbutrin contained in the pill"

Mrsmac023 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2018

For Obesity "Wonderful! been on it for almost 2 months. I am down 14 pounds. I have had absolutely no side effects. Wish it was cheaper ( paying $99.00) as my insurance will not cover it. I was slightly depressed before starting this also. This medicine has helped with that as well. I sleep well, and have given up Pepsi! That was huge for as I drank it all the time. I don't crave it any more!!! I feel as I am making more healthy choices! Super excited to continue my journey on this!"

Mom0f3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2018

For Weight Loss "I have binge eating disorder and Contrave works really well for me. Not only did it completely get rid of my cravings for food that I could not control, but it completely obliterated my urges to drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes. I wasn't trying to stop drinking or smoking. It was just a pleasant surprise/ side effect. If you're trying to lose weight but need a little extra push especially when you're following a diet, I'd definitely recommend it. Oh! I didn't have any side effects and I have a very sensitive stomach. Only side effects were: stopped me from impulsively eating, drinking and smoking. Made me less impulsive in general. Lowers your sex drive too."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2018

For Obesity "I've been on Contrave now for 6 weeks. I've noticed my clothes fit looser. Down side, my left hand twitches like Parkinson's but I know what's happening and keep going. Constant dry mouth, with a strong metallic taste on my mouth. I actually sleep well at night when I take it. Some constipation and when you have the urge to have a bowel movement hits suddenly and sometimes felt like childbirth with severe spasms. Cravings are down considerably, but frequent nausea. The Welbutron in the medication helps me stay calmer. Overall, I'll continue to take the medication."

Miss A (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2018

For Obesity "I started Contrave in early June of 2017. I had significant side effects for about 3 weeks but stuck with it. Today is May 1, 2018, and I’ve gone from 237lb to 126lb. YES 126lb! I have been very strict with my calories, and rarely cheat. I was very close to stopping the Contrave in the early days, but extremely happy I didn’t!"

Thinagain (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2018

For Obesity "I started off really good with it but then started to get ringing in my ears. I continued to take Contrave but the ringing was driving me crazy so I had to stop it. I've been off of it for some time now but still continue with the ringing in the ears which started with Contrave."

Rita (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2018

For Obesity "I’ve been taking Contrave for 3 weeks and it’s working for me. My appetite and cravings have really been reduced. I can only eat about 1/3 of what I ate before getting on it. Previously I also loved beer and that’s made me gain a lot of weight. Now I have no cravings for beer and when I go out I can only drink 1 and I’m done because it just tastes bad now. It took about 10 days to get to this point so stick with it. The side effects were minimal, mostly drowsiness, and went away in a few days. I have no side effects now."

Ginger70 (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2018

For Weight Loss "It’s being a week now starting pill on 20 April. No weight loss yet. My cravings are getting worse. I am eating more then ever. I have no nausea, no headaches, what should I do? It’s working totally opposite on me! Going to work happily eating more, working more I gained 4 kg since the day I started!!!!"

Shaz April 28, 2018

For Weight Loss "Although Contrave did make me feel a little depressed and caused severe dry mouth, I stuck it all out because it worked so well in helping me lose weight. I knew up front it might cause depression which it did but it wasn't so bad. After a while that went away. The severe dry mouth was bad but I used Biotene and kept the spray with me or chewed gum. I lost 40 lbs. in the first year. I was so ecstatic and wanted to lose at least 15-20 more lbs. Unfortunately for me it just suddenly stopped working one day. It started working within the first week of using it. I'd eat maybe half my meal or half a container of yogurt and then I'd feel so full that I couldn't make myself take another bite. I'm not sure why it stopped working. I was off of it for about a year then tried it again but it still didn't work like it did that first time. I know everyone has different reactions to medications, but for me it was literally a miracle pill!"

Lisa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2018

For Obesity "I've read the reviews on Contrave and decided to try it for myself. On day 1, I took my pill at 9am. I felt fine until 5pm. It hit me out of nowhere...major headache, jittery and I was so sick to my stomach. I know everyone reacts differently, but I should have listened to the reviews. I was so sick day 1 there wasn't a day 2."

NC (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

For Weight Loss "Hi, I started contrave about 3 weeks ago and I feel great! My night binging has stopped and I'm satisfied with smaller portions. At my heaviest I was 175lbs @5'1" . I've maintained 165 lbs for the past 2 years so contrave is helping me tremedously. My goal is 135 lbs, I feel very positive I will be successful. The only side effect has been dry mouth & at times shaky hands. I'm sleeping better than ever. Overall, I would recommend contrave. In 3 weeks I've lost about 6 lbs. And to my surprise I don't feel like I'm dieting but making healthier choices."

Lynette (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

For Obesity "I started Contrave in March, I know I have gone down maybe 5 lbs? but the headaches have not gone away and the hot flashes are horrible! I am on the 4 a day I am going to take the 2 in the am and try splitting the 2 at night? I know exercise is key and I am really trying at least walking everyday. I am hoping the side effects go away soon?"

lynda (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2018

For Obesity "Week 2 on medicine. Last night I felt like I was dying. Nausea (since day 1), cold sweats (that's a new one), hot flashes, unable to sleep and VERY short tempered (since day 1). No effect on appetite either, unless you count always being nauseous as an appetite suppressant! Decided I'd rather be fat than feeling like i'm losing my mind in the middle of the night. I've taken Wellbutrin alone before and did not have such severe side effects. Must be the combination of the two medicines. My skin was crawling, hands and feet ice cold and was seeing things. Now I know what opioid withdrawal must feel like. Not pleasant. I'm stopping immediately.."

BigGuy (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

For Weight Loss "Had to stop after one day and one pill. The nausea, headaches and dry mouth were extreme. Within hours of taking first pill, I felt high and disoriented. I felt shaky and sweaty. After vomiting several times that day, I guess pill was out of my system. I had to lie in bed the rest of the day because I felt so horrible. I wish I had listened to the bad reviews. Don’t waste your money!"

Unhappy lady (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2018

For Obesity "I am 5'4 and 212lbs. I have always been curvy (usually weighing 155lbs) but after baby #4 my body really changed and cravings got out of control. Day 4 of taking 1 pill a day. I decided to cut the pill in half and take half in AM and half in afternoon, just to help my body adjust to the RX. The first 2 days I felt very dizzy. I have felt the nausea for sure. I feel extremely tired afternoon usually. On the plus side, I barely eat anything and I can definitely say NO to food, even the sweet stuff. 4 days and 1.5lbs down already. I will update every couple weeks. Good Luck to everyone. The struggle is real. Week #1 complete now and total weight loss is 5.2 lbs. Still get nausea, headaches are minimal, and still get fatigued. But happy to deal as long as I am losing weight."

workingmom4 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2018

For Obesity "Started February 21, 2018, as of today April 20, 2018 I've lost 27 lbs. I did have some significant nausea the first week. I was also having a few sips of wine that first week. Stopped the wine and the nausea went away. Guess that's why the bottle clearly states No Alcohol. Not only have I noticed a reduction in cravings and general hunger but the biggest affect is that a very small amount of food fills me up. I have also made a conscious effort to reduce calories. A lean cuisine for dinner and I'm full. Only 53 more pounds to go. I suggest you get Contrave from the pharmacy on the Contrave web site. I got my first bottle from Costco at $198 for 150 pills. Had my prescription transferred to the contract pharmacy and I now get 120 pills for $99. A significant savings."

Shipkicker (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2018