User Reviews for Contrave

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Contrave.

Obesity
6.9

Weight Loss
6.4

Summary of Contrave reviews 6.7 1,438 reviews

Reviews for Contrave

For Weight Loss "Started-March 2017 at 185lbs. As of February 2018-I'm at 125lbs. Contrave reduced my urge to eat extremely well. I did not exercise or increase my activity. My weight loss was strictly from consuming less calories. I did not have an urge to binge eat all day. Burgers and pizza are still regularly on the menu, but now instead of eating half a pizza, I am full after1-2 slices. Minimal side-effects. At the beginning-nausea, dry mouth and insomnia. Sleeping is my only issue still. I wasn’t the best sleeper before, but Contrave definitely made it worse. Insurance will not cover so its $90.00/mo. I'm at my goal weight now, hoping the weight doesn't come back if I stop. Again, everyone reacts differently to medication (for example: Antibiotics make me sick, but for millions it's not a problem). The side effects can be a bad for some, just don’t let that scare you off. Contrave is the first weight loss drug I’ve tried but personally I would highly recommend it. Resulets: 60 lbs - 11 months"

MojoT. February 20, 2018

For Weight Loss "I got this medication in hopes that I can lose this "baby weight" followed by my addiction to alcohol, which honestly I started packing on the pounds when I found myself drinking daily. I have not had any desire to drink while on this medication, and it has curbed my appetite. I started off at 138.8 pounds Jan 13th and now I am at 127.6 pounds, I have been sticking to two tabs in the am. I have been doing 30 min home work outs here and there. My ins did not cover it, so I printed up a coupon and paid $99 which to me was worth it. Since I am not taking the med as ordered I have enough until March 13th so 2 month. My goal weight is 115 ."

Anonymous February 19, 2018

For Weight Loss "My experience was TERRIBLE. I took the recommended dosages for 4 weeks. I needed to take anti nausea/motion sickness meds the entire time to keep from vomiting and experiencing the dizziness. I also needed headache meds 24/7 to get through the day without debilitating headaches. The side effects were supposed to lessen but as the dosage went up they got worse. I can only attribute the minimal weight loss to the unrelenting nausea. I knew these were side effects when I started the meds BUT had I known they would be so severe I would never have tried it. This is a combo of an anti depressant and a medication used to treat heroin addiction. If you are sensitive to any meds that alter your hormones STAY AWAY! This caused me to become moody and highly irritable. I am normally a very calm person- My temper was out and of control while taking this. Never again!"

BrittneyS82 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2018

For Obesity "I have been taking Contrave for a 2 month. I have had nausea, headaches, and I stay dizzy all day. Since I've been on Contrave I've experienced all the side effects. I eat more this medication doesn't BLOCK nothing out in my head. I'm still over weight and I haven't lost no weight at all!!! Contrave is not for me, yes after I spent 100 dollars on this medication. My loss another diet plan gone wrong for me."

Fat Dana (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2018

For Obesity "I love contrave, I have tried every diet even lap band nothing worked for me. Contrave really works, I don't crave sweets anymore I have lost 12 pounds in one month. I weighted 255lb on Jan 12 2018, today is Feb 15th I weight 243lb. answer to my prayers."

judy bug (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2018

For Weight Loss "I started Contrave on Jan 15 th 2018 I weighed 177lb, I went for my one month follow up and I have lost 5 lbs. Contave has helped with my sweet cravings a lot my brain thinks totally different now I’m eating healthy and even exercising. The only side effects I have is bad constipation it’s so bad I have to push so hard to even get a little bit to come out so I have had to turn to enemas but I see other people have used Maralax so I’m off to get some now. Overall I love the stuff"

Gumpone February 15, 2018

For Weight Loss "Day 2 on Contrave. 1st day felt buzzed and very sleepy with no other side effects. Slept well 1st night. Appetite gone. Lost 2 lbs. Taking 2 a day. Very hopeful. 55 yo, 5'2", 243 lbs day one."

Myjibril (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2018

For Obesity "Jan 15th 2017 I weighed in at 280 lbs, fast forward to Feb 2, 2018 I weighed in at 203 lbs. I was only on Contrave from March thru June 2017 but during that time I started walking and lifting 5lbs weights but at age 52 and I feel I need to lose at least another 30lbs. My challenge with walking started at 1/2 mile a day but a year later 4 miles is not an issue my next challenge is to start riding a bike and getting more than 4 miles a day. I love where I am going with my weight loss but the only side effect I had was on week three which was nausea but after a few days it all went away. Here's to my last 30 lbs and a lifetime of commitment to a healthier lifestyle."

HillCountryGal February 12, 2018

For Weight Loss "I just started this 4 days ago. I haven’t stepped in the scale yet because I see my gastric surgeon for the first time in years this week and want to weigh there. I feel like I have lost weight in my belly though. I am not hungry at all on Contrave. No headaches at all. I do have some nausea but that’s nothing new. I like not craving sweets so much."

anb3333 (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2018

For Obesity "I started taking contrave Jan. 16th 2018. I had went to the doctor for my yearly physical and my blood pressure was sky high. Im 28yr old female 5'2 and my starting weight was 277lbs. The first couple of days taking it I was nauseous and had a headache, but that went away. I'm at the full dose now 4 and 4. I'm down to 260lb so I've lost 17lbs in 3 weeks. I have to remind myself to eat. The problem is at this full dose I am so anxious I'm having hot flashes I'm dizzy and my head is fogged. I really hope this passes because although the weight loss is great the side effects really really suck."

rellyt (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2018

For Obesity "I have been on Contrave since May 2017 and have lost 24 pounds. I have not exercised or changed my diet. I have noticed that I eat way less than I used to and I get full really fast. I feel if I were to eat healthier and exercise I would lose a lot more. I still have cravings for chocolate and Dr.Pepper but I find myself not finishing the drink or only eating half the candy bar. I am beyond pleased with this medication I have tried numerous weight loss medications like Adipex ,Qsymia, and Alli with no results. My starting weight was 209lb and I'm down to 183lb. The only side effect I have experienced would be nausea which was mostly within my first two weeks of taking the medication."

MsG17 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 7, 2018

For Weight Loss "I have been taking Contrave for 30 days now. I am super excited and down 9lbs!!! That is AWESOME!! I have and do experience headaches & fatigue. I am going to start B-12 injections this week. Hopefully that will help boost my energy. So Far so Good. Thank you."

Angela L. (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2018

For Weight Loss "I have been on Contrave for 1 week and have lost 3 lbs! The first day I experienced a small amount of nausea. But it was nothing I couldn't handle. The second day the nausea was gone. I am normally a pasta junkie and a wine lover. But ALL of my cravings are gone. I don't even really want to eat or drink wine. So it is making it easier to think about what I am putting in my mouth. I am sleeping just fine. In fact, I haven't noticed any changes in my sleep pattern. Tomorrow I start 2 pills a day- I will try and post an update."

The Nelipot February 6, 2018

For Weight Loss "I love Contrave it’s been so helpful! I’ve lost about 32 lbs. and this med has been such a great start to my weight loss journey. I still have about 50 lbs to go but I’m 6 foot woman and I’m evening out lol but I went to the doctor to get checked out about how the drug is affecting me (did blood test) my liver and kidney enzymes were off the charts bad. I do like to drink cocktails or wine at the end of the day and also just had a root Canal like so taking ibuprofen a lot and antibiotics before the test so I hope it’s not the Contrave because it is working so well! The doctor said this pill is NOT a magic pill you still need to diet and exercise but it helps you want to do that! Anyone have a similar experience?"

German Amazon (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2018

For Obesity "I've been on Contrave since June 1, 2017. I have a couple of side effects (dry mouth, constipation (took care of that with Miralax) and slight tremors on the left hand only. I'm very satisfied. I have no cravings and limit my caloric intake with no problems. I had blood work done 2 weeks before starting and then after 5 and 1/2 months being on it. There was big improvement in my numbers....oh, and so far I am down 40 pounds ...I would like to stay on it for another 6 months or so."

msclep February 6, 2018

For Obesity "I've been taking contrave since the middle of August, 2017. I'm 22 years old, 5'3" and my starting weight was 204.1lb. Today, February 5, 2018, I am down to 169lb. That's a 35 lb (in a little under 6 months)!! I'm so excited! I absolutely love Contrave and have had NO side effects whatsoever from the beginning, other than being a little tired when I first started it. Although Contrave has done wonders for me, it is NOT a magic pill! It takes a lot of self-discipline and you MUST cut calories and work out (but Contrave definitely changes your brain chemicals and helps you say "no" more easily to cravings, eating out, etc. I'm typically eating around 1000 calories per day and run for 30 minutes, 4 times per week. My goal weight is 123 lbs so i'm hoping to make it there!! Will update at a year :) Hope this helps!!"

Girlboss February 5, 2018

For Weight Loss "I'm at the end of my first week and I'm down nine pounds. Contrave really works, how did I do it: 1. Drop / cut down on the alcohol. I would dive into the vodka no later then 3pm everyday. I don't think I could have stopped drinking without contrave. It really helps stop the craving, unbelievable. 2. Watch what I eat, follow a meal plan and I stopped eating meat at night during the week. Only vegetables. I use transformations meal plan. Again, contrave really helps with the hunger and staying on a meal plan. 3. Exercise 4 times a week. I goto a class at the gym, just casually walking on the treadmill isn't going to do it. 4. On the weekend have a cheat day, you deserve it! These reviews who say they have been taking contrave for a month and haven't lost a pound must realize. No medication is going to magically make you lose weight, you need to change your lifestyle as well. Remember, if it can be passed thru a window it's not on the meal plan! Hope that helps!"

cgarrell February 5, 2018

For Weight Loss "This medication has really worked for me, I've lost 12 pounds so far and I started the medication 1.5 weeks ago. So far good results."

Selena M (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2018

For Weight Loss "After going to my doctor for some blood work, I found out I’m unhealthier than I thought. I gained 20lbs (I’m 5ft4 183lbs 41yo female) My cholesterol is high (255) my fasting blood sugar was (99) & my vitamin D was low (17) I asked my doc for a prescription & she warned me about the cost. I was able to get it for $99 which is still high & probably not something I can do long term. I still want to try it though. I start Contrave tomorrow & I’m a bit nervous. I took Zyban 10 years ago when I quit smoking (& it actually worked for me) It did make me nauseous about 30 min after I took it & dry heaved. I also remember having crazy, vivid dreams. If that’s the extent of my side effects, I can handle it. I go back to my doc for a follow up appt. to recheck all my blood work & make sure my blood pressure doesn’t go up. I’m hoping to lose 13lbs & lower those bad #’s. I’m also going to change my diet, try to reduce sugar, saturated fat & cholesterol. I’ll update in 6 weeks."

Sugarfiend (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2018

For Weight Loss "I started taking this in November 2016 and I am down 50 lbs. I have lost more than I needed to and have been maintaining for the past 6 months. I couldn’t be more pleased with my results!"

hh339001 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2018

For Obesity "I took Contrave for approximately 2 months. Unfortunately, I gained weight. After the first full month I had worked up to two pills in the morning and one at night. While this medication seems to have decreased some compulsive feelings, I also started feeling depressed. This has continued since I stopped Contrave and as it has been over a year, I can not be sure that Contrave is the cause of this. I did not previously have really down thoughts before trying Contrave."

Cindwa February 2, 2018

For Obesity "I read a lot of these reviews before trying contrave myself and there are obviously some mixed feelings and results. I just started the full dosage two days ago. I haven't really noticed negative side effects some people report...possibly just a little constipation. One day I think I had the caffeine jitters, after a second cup of coffee and I suspect it was because of contrave. We are going out of town this weekend and I wanted to be down 10 lbs by then (not very realistic). But just this morning I actually hit that goal! I can't believe it! I started January 9th at 206.2 lbs and today, February 1st I weighed 196.2. I've had good results so far but this isn't a magic pill...I've been very strictly reducing my calories. But even so, I haven't really been tempted to over do it. I tend to boredom eat and eat emotionally and I really do feel like contrave helps me maintain self control. Some days it's actually hard to eat a safe number of calories."

CaitlinW19 February 1, 2018

For Weight Loss "The first 2 weeks worked great I lost about 7 1/2 pounds and then the third week I gained 3 pounds and I have been stuck at that gain for 2 weeks now. Did not help curb my appetite I still wanted just as much as I did before taking the pills. I had no side effects."

Trish228 February 1, 2018

For Obesity "I am almost finished with week 3 on Contrave. The first week I didn't feel much of an effect. The 2nd week I started noticing I was eating less. Week 3 I stayed with the two pills in the morning because I have a sinus infection and am taking augmentin and would prefer to wait until I finish that medicine before I up the dose due to potential new side effects. So far I have lost 8 lbs and have had almost no side effects. The first couple days when I began taking it, and the first couple of days after I upped my dose to two pills I felt a bit energized. Overall I have been in a great mood lately, sleep better, my appetite is decreased. I'm not sure I'll even need the full dose."

Jen38 January 30, 2018

For Obesity "I was unable to get passed the side effects, so I don't know if with prolonged use this would work for weight loss. The first week you are supposed to take one pill in the mornings and the dosage increases over the next 4 weeks until you are taking 2 pills each morning and 2 pills each evening. I gave up during the second week. Week one I suffered mild nausea, headaches, and restless sleep. I learned that taking with food helped ease the nausea, as long as it wasn't a fatty or greasy food. Fatty foods made the nausea worse. The headaches gradually subsided as well. The restless sleep got worse. By mid second week, with only one pill in the morning and one in the evening, I had full blown insomnia. Only two to three restless hours of sleep each night at the most. I couldn't handle this part so I quit taking. During what little time I was on it, I didn't feel a difference in my cravings or my appetite."

Les238 January 30, 2018