User Reviews for Contrave to treat Obesity

Contrave Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 38 medications used in the treatment of Obesity.

Reviews for Contrave

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 28, 2020

“I have been on Contrave for 8 months and have lost approximately 35 pounds and have another 30 pounds to get to my target weight. If you can get past the first few weeks, it really does work. You can immediately feel the reduction in food cravings and appetite. I used anti-nausea drugs to help me the first week and then I had no issues. You do have to follow a healthy diet, but for people who eat compulsively it makes a big difference in being able to resist junk food and reduce your food intake. This ultimately allows your body to adjust to healthier food and shrink your stomach.”

Pen4 · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2020

“I have been on contrave for 4weeks. Only side effect nasty head aches. I lost no weight at all , even on a very low cal diet .”

Stac · Taken for less than 1 month August 22, 2020

“I am just shy of being on Contrave for 4 weeks. Taking 4 pills a day. I have been having horrible dreams!!! Every night. Camped with a friend and she said it was like I was fighting something in my sleep. Not an issue prior. Anyone else? I want to see this though.”

Anonymous August 21, 2020

“5'1 female- starting weight 195, current weight 162, goal weight 125. -33 pounds so far in 6 months. Overall my experience with Contrave has been a positive one. At first I did experience odd side effects some included, dizziness, dry mouth, involuntary twitching, and very VERY odd dreams. However, after awhile these went away. For the last 6 months I have been able to loose 33 pounds by only taking 1 pill at night. My physician is moving my dose up to 2 pills now, one the AM and one in the PM. I started that regimen this week and I am back to experiencing a little dizziness and dry mouth, odd dreams (not as much as the beginning). But, I am sure this will disappear as well soon. I eat 1 meal a day now and exercise for 1 to 1.5 hours 5-6 days a week.”

Harlin · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 14, 2020

“I am a 50 year old male. I started Contrave 4 weeks ago and have lost 10kg. It causes some side effect symptoms like fuzzy head and a funny taste in your mouth initially. Sometimes I have a funny frontal headache. It has improved my mood and made me able to walk past food without stopping. I take snacks to eat during the day but usually don’t even touch them. I have been able to drop my cals to 1600-1800/ day. It’s also had an incredible effect on my libido and performance. My wife is loving it. It is not a miracle drug. You still have to work hard but it certainly helps a lot.”

Anonymous August 4, 2020

“After 5 days of taking contrave, I had severe constipation. So bad that after taking a laxative, I was puking and almost passing out. Finally after a couple hours I was able to go. But after being off of contrave for 3 days, still having issues of constipation, nausea. This pill is not worth this major side affect.”

Savannahlee123 June 6, 2020

“10 days on Contrave & I’ve lost 2.15 kg Sometimes feeling spaced out but if I stay active this goes away. Nauseous on the first day only.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 3, 2020

“Lost 50 pounds over 2 years, was key to the process and got me back to exercising. Did not experience any side effects. Cost of medicine offset by food savings and reduced healthcare costs in the future (I assume).”

Pearl · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2020

“I have been on Contrave for about 6 weeks and I have lost 17lbs. I just starting to feel nauseated during the day and during workout. I continue for another week and see what happens. I think I'm going to go back to 2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon.”

AFM · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 29, 2020

“I've been losing 5 lbs a months. I have stopped stress eating. Small amounts of food fill me up now.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2020

“I have been on contrave for ten weeks . Only lost 2.5 kgs Could be water weight I completely changed diet and exercise more. Very expensive $238.00 Bad side effects”

Gru · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 9, 2020

“I felt okay but my kidney function declined. Rebounded when I stopped the prescription.”

JJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 26, 2019

“So, I wanted to wait until I placed a review anywhere about my experience with Contrave. I have Ben taking it for 3 months and am at full dose (2 tabs 2 x a day - 5am and 2pm). The first 6 weeks was tough. Felt nauseous and shaky. And I am someone who relies on Wellbutrin for mental health but, I was 15lbs overweight. I knocked of the 1st 20lbs with diet and exercise but menopause or age (53) just wouldn’t let me shed the last 15. So, spoke to my GP and we decided to try this. This medicine worked for me! I now think of food as nutrition not entertainment or a crutch when I am bored. Anyway I have 6 more lbs to go and then will tapper off and go back to Wellbutrin straight. If you are serious about taking back your health with diet and exercise and can’t drop the last bit, I would say give it a try.”

Dodgy Boy · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 5, 2019

“I have been taking Contrave since late July this year. As of today I have lost 26kg (56lbs). I had bad side effects for the first 4-6 weeks but they have since subsided. I haven’t touched alcohol or fast food since early August and currently only eat one meal a day. This drug has worked for me and I’m glad I pushed through the early side effects as it has truly been worth it.”

MattG November 21, 2019

“As far as negative effects I have had absolutely none. Which allowed me to change my diet to 1800 calories or less a day without feeling hungry. I have lost around 32 pounds. Also if you read this and think that well if you reduce your calories 1800 or less of course you will loose weight and that's true however before taking this drug I would have never been able to be limiting my food to this amount and feel fine . So I'm hoping by shrinking my stomach using this when I am eventually weaned off this drug my natural appetite will be at a more reasonable level so I can maintain. If you need to loose alot I would recommend it . You need to make healthy choices and have some commitment as well.”

MrsG · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 13, 2019

“I am very happy with this Contrave pill; I take it right before bed and at lunch time. I have never experienced nausea or headaches, but I have experienced constipation ( which I remedied with extra water and vegetables) and some restless night around week three. I didn't have much to lose, so it's not falling off but it allows me to not crave food, binge eat and I really could care less about a drink at night or on the weekends. My water consumption is at 100 oz, which is a huge improvement!”

Dee Dee · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2019

“Contrave is costly. To avoid paying unnecessary money, just have your MD prescribe the two medical ingredients separately ie bupropion as one med and the naltrexone as the other. I only pay $20/month. By having them prescribed separately, my insurance covers almost ALL the cost. I've lost 50 pounds over 6 months and saved huge amounts of money by NOT using Contrave.”

kate · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2019

“Took for 3 months. Lost about 5 pounds total (all in first month), so didn't work. Moreover, it made me INSANELY constipated. I could have tolerated the constipation (by using laxative) if I had actually lost weight, but not effective at all.”

LL · Taken for less than 1 month October 29, 2019

“I purchased Contrave for weight loss and was so excited to try it after reading the reviews. After taking it for 1 week, I started having headaches and was nauseated, I continued taking the medication hoping the side effects would go away, however after 3 weeks they were so bad I couldn't do any longer. I stopped the medication for 1 week. After two weeks I started feeling better so I started back on the medication but I took it at night for hoping for better results, I woke up at 3 am with a horrible headache, nauseated and could not go to work the next day. I did not lose any weight while taking this medication only lost time from employment.”

Supergirl · Taken for less than 1 month October 28, 2019

“Today is my 3rd day on Contrave. The first two days I did experience headaches and was light headed. I have small hives on my eyelids. No headaches today. My appetite has curbed tremendously I usually eat all day, now not as much. Was 202lbs when I started will weigh on Day 7”

Marmar October 22, 2019

“I am a 34 yr old female, 183 lbs and BMI of 28. I wonder if my doc should have even prescribed this to me....I used this drug for 3 days and had a horrible experience. My side effects were stomach cramping, severe headache, and violent vomiting. The brain fog many speak of turned into severe headaches and nausea turned into violent bouts of vomiting. To a point that I thought I would have to be admitted to the hospital. Also, unaware this contains an opiate blocker naltrexone and the ingredient bupropion used to treat depression, the neurological effects were also quite concerning. I had spasms in my muscles and joints, like small surges of electric shock. I had a really scary experience and do not recommend this to anyone unless they have done thorough research on how the ingredients can effect them. I have been off of this drug for 2 days and still feel unwell.”

Jody · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 20, 2019

“Well I've been on Contrave for 6 months now. Lost inches but not losing weight. I seem to be heavier now and it has slowed me down on smoking. I still crave certain things and drink al ot of water but I feel this pill isn't really working for me.”

Anonymous October 16, 2019

“So one year ago today is started taking Contrave. I am a 65 yr old male and when I started I was 349 lbs. After many diets and weight loss fads with little to no success, I went to see my Doctor to discuss Bariatric Surgery which I wasn’t looking forward to but felt I didn’t have much choice . On this I have a bit of nausea and light headedness at first but it was very minor. Right away I felt my appetite decreasing. I did watch what I ate but didn’t restrict any specific foods just a whole lot less of it. It began to work immediately and the weight started coming off pretty quick I am very excited to announce that after 1 year I have dropped 75 lbs (my goal was 60 lbs)and feel wonderful. For me Contrave was a 'Wonder Drug' and gave me the boost I needed. I am remaining on the pills for a bit longer but I really feel I can monitor the quantity of food I consume . The only real side effect has been the money I have spent on new cloths - actually very happily.”

karo October 14, 2019

“I have lost weight in the past with diet and walking a lot. But after having a heart attack, I am not permitted to walk in extreme hot or cold. I was desperate to lose weight and the doctor prescribed Contrave. I was only on day two of the pills and as my luck would have it, I tore my meniscus the second day of taking the pills and I have not been able to take my walks for a month. Despite that, I have faithfully taken the pills as prescribed but they have done NOTHING for me. I still have very strong cravings for sweets and carbs and since I am not able to walk, I have been giving into those cravings. I need diet and exercise to go hand in hand for a successful weight loss program. The drug did not alter my taste for the foods I love or help control portions. The only thing this pill did is make my mouth go dry shortly after taking it. I have not lost any weight in almost 1 month. I paid $114 for these pills and it was a total waste of money.”

Rose September 25, 2019

“I’m very disappointed. Contrave didn’t work for me. I didn’t lose any weight in over a month. If anything I was fighting my raging hunger of an evening which I had never experienced before. I continually battled strong cravings. A total waste of money. Having said that, I’m happy to read it did work for others.”