User Reviews for Contrave

Contrave Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 63 medications used in the treatment of Obesity.

Reviews for Contrave to treat Obesity

"I’ve been on Contrave for 24 days and have lost 5lbs. The first week I lost 5lbs, but I was also doing boiled eggs for breakfast and fit smoothie for lunch and regular dinner, so that was probably water weight. My appetite suppressed for the first week, but not after that. I keep going up and down a lb and haven’t lost any weight the past 2.5 weeks. I’ve had all the side effect but they seem to have subsided now. Started taking Dramamine for the nausea after I threw up one day. One of the major side effects is the way it effected my period. I’m on minastrin and don’t really get a period. I started Spotting within a week and then got my full blown period while I was still taking birth control. The bleeding is super heavy and I’m passing clots. I really hope this stops and doesn’t happen every month or I will have to stop taking the med. Is anyone else having this issue or had it and did it get better? I want to try it for at least 2 months and see how it works."

Flabtofab (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2018

"Week 3. Little side effects. Slight headaches at first. No cravings. Appetite down 98% of the time. Have not lost a pound. Very disappointed. Stopped soda pop. Stopped snacks. Low carb. Risk of seizures scares me as I have 2 kids with epilepsy. I don't do any specific exercise but lots of yard work and gardening and lots of stairs in my home. There has to be an underlying reason I can't lose weight. I hope to find a doctor that can find the cause and not just treat the symptoms. I am 69 yrs old and 228 lbs at 5'6". I'm fairly active for my age and size. Will probably not refill. Too costly."

Jojo (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2018

"Started med on 6/6. Immediately felt minor side effect of dry mouth midway through the day of 1 per day. Increased energy as well. It took a couple days before feeling suppressed appetite and cravings. Still at 1 per day even though Dr prescribed increase to 2 per day. Felt like it would keep me awake. At about day 5 headaches came and went, a little brain fuzz too. Nothing too extreme so will continue as it seems like the purpose outweighs the side effect so far"

Shawnee31 June 15, 2018

"I’ve been taking Contrave for 16 months & have lost 8 pounds. How long do I have to take to lose 25 pounds"

J (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 12, 2018

"At first I thought the Contrave was helping me mood wise. But it never reduced my cravings or appetite. Eventually I started feeling very depressed and suicidal. Also, I felt overwhelmed about my weight, and couldn't make any decisions. I stopped the Contrave and have felt so much better in terms of mood. I don't see my appetite or cravings changing since getting off of it, so it wasn't helping me at all."

StillFat (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2018

"I have been on Contrave almost five months now and have lost 20 pounds. I feel like I could have lost more by now had I tried harder but initially I just kept eating the same as usual. Also I took months to build to the full dose. Now that I am counting calories and exercising more the pounds are dropping more quickly. The only side effects I have experienced are excess sweating and sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and sleep more lightly. I plan to continue taking the medication."

Jen38 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2018

"I started Contrave in October 2017 and by the end of March 2018 I was down 32 pounds. No other program I tried in the past has produced these results. Early side effects included hot flashes and extreme constipation. After two months the hot flashes stopped, but constipation remains a problem. However, using stool softeners and taking a water-soluble fiber such as Beneficial has helped me to manage this side effects. Around month three, I began to notice slight tremors in that my hands were shaky when lifting anything from one place to another. It does not seem to be a constant event and most times I am just not aware of it. At this same time, I thought I was smelling cigarette smoke in my home. Since no one here is a smoker I'm thinking I'm losing my marbles. Maybe its related to the taste side effect. My weight has plateaued but I still have another 60 target pounds to lose."

Madampreztx June 5, 2018

"I'm a 65 year old woman, 5'9", and I weighed 193lb, with very high cholesterol, when I started Contrave about a month ago. My goal weight is 160lb. So far I have lost about 12 lbs. Contrave has been very helpful in controlling my cravings for treats. It has been easy to stick with healthy foods, such as salads, yogurt, etc. I am only taking 3 tabs a day, when I took the full 4 a day, it made me a bit jittery. I found when I took 4, it also made my ears ring. So I take one first thing in the am, one at around 11 am, then one at 3:30 pm. This minimizes the side effects. When I eat dinner, halfway through I suddenly get nauseous so it makes me literally stop eating. I take this as a sign that I have had enough to eat. Then I really have no interest in eating anything else later where normally I'd be looking for ice cream. I would recommend trying Contrave...I'm really glad I'm doing this as it is helping me a lot."

Gray May 31, 2018

"I have been on Contrave for 7 1/2 weeks and I have lost 14lbs without adding any extra exercise or significant changes to what I eat. I am eating smaller portions and not snacking. I noticed my cravings subside in just the first few days, my biggest struggle was eating habits- eating when watching TV etc, even when I wasn't really hungry. I have experienced some side effects - I started with headaches, then they stopped after week 2. By week 6, I started to experience the nausea, dizziness and constipation (which can be controlled by watching what you eat) So I decided to cut back to only 3 tablets a day. I am still losing weight and that is my motivation to keep this going."

Okiedokie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2018

"I have been taking Contrave for 3 months now. In those three months I have lost a total of 24 pounds. And I have gone down 4 pant sizes. I have experienced a few of the side effects. But they are not enough to make me stop talking Contrave. As this is the only thing that has ever helped me. I am very pleased with my progress."

rachelg May 28, 2018

"I am coming up on one month of using this medication. The first week or so I had a headache but was mild and drinking lots of water relieved it. The first day or so after I started, and each time I increased a dose, I had most of the other listed symptoms (nausea, stomach cramps, diarrhea, constipation), but they went away in 24 to 48 hours. I started at 193lb and lost 13 lb. I am 57 year old female. I am following weight watchers and am finally seeing success because my appetite is very low and my cravings are gone. I walk for an hour each day, and sometimes other exercise as well. Sometimes I think I would like something I used to crave, and then realize I am thinking about it out of habit and don't actually crave it at all. I feel really hopeful on this. Just really expensive for me, as insurance doesn't cover it."

BJS (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2018

"I am so nauseous and I’m taking one in the morning and one at night. But so sick. I would rather be fat. My Dr told me to see how it affected me.. was hoping it would work. Oh well.."

Julies (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2018

"I am going into week 3 on Contrave. My starting weight was 382lb and have not had a weigh in yet, but have already lost enough that it is noticable to people around me. I have dropped one complete clothing size ( was in 6X now wear 5X and can fit into some 4X clothes). When I started these pills I also went on the Banting diet (green list only) and started doing the exercises that I can ( I am in a wheelchair due to car accident injury). I think that combining all 3 is the contributing factor to dramatic weight loss. So far the only side effects I have experienced is 1. being more sleepy (I am now able to have really good sleep at night. Before these changes, it was tough for me to sleep.) 2. Occasional tummy hurt, but I recognize that as hunger pains which is common whenever one goes on a stricter diet 3. Dry mouth, but if I hydrate properly, again not an issue. Right now I am happy with results and will update on week 6."

Rydon (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2018

"Day one....no side effects. Have been on Wellbutrin for years. My super cool doctor prescribed Naltrexone by itself to accompany my existing Wellbutrin. Took first dose with food, all is well. I will check back in after week one. It’s gotta work!"

ItsGottaWork! May 20, 2018

"I have taken several medicines over the years, a couple for weight control. I HAVE NEVER had such a terrible reaction to a pill in my life..I'm a 51 year old female. Took the one AM pill for five days; thought I would seriously need to visit the ER. EXTREME dizziness, horrible nausea, and, as someone who has had a lifetime headaches, I have never, ever, had such terrible headaches. I've been off it for three days and am still feeling lingering effects. I'm truly shocked that this medicine is still being prescribed. The only positive was that it did curb my appetite...but the horrible side effects were not worth it. Don't recommend."

Hedda Lettuce (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

"I am in my third week and have not experienced any of the negative side effects. I can tell that I have no sweet cravings and I eat smaller portions to be full. I have tried many weight loss programs and so far this seems to be a great addition to assist with my lifestyle change. Very excited!"

Mom23 (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2018

"Awful. This made me soooo constipated. I had no extra energy, my appetite stayed the same, and I had to give myself enemas just to use the bathroom. It did make me quit biting my nails which I'm sure is the wellbutrin contained in the pill"

Mrsmac023 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2018

"Wonderful! been on it for almost 2 months. I am down 14 pounds. I have had absolutely no side effects. Wish it was cheaper ( paying $99.00) as my insurance will not cover it. I was slightly depressed before starting this also. This medicine has helped with that as well. I sleep well, and have given up Pepsi! That was huge for as I drank it all the time. I don't crave it any more!!! I feel as I am making more healthy choices! Super excited to continue my journey on this!"

Mom0f3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2018

"I've been on Contrave now for 6 weeks. I've noticed my clothes fit looser. Down side, my left hand twitches like Parkinson's but I know what's happening and keep going. Constant dry mouth, with a strong metallic taste on my mouth. I actually sleep well at night when I take it. Some constipation and when you have the urge to have a bowel movement hits suddenly and sometimes felt like childbirth with severe spasms. Cravings are down considerably, but frequent nausea. The Welbutron in the medication helps me stay calmer. Overall, I'll continue to take the medication."

Miss A (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2018

"I started Contrave in early June of 2017. I had significant side effects for about 3 weeks but stuck with it. Today is May 1, 2018, and I’ve gone from 237lb to 126lb. YES 126lb! I have been very strict with my calories, and rarely cheat. I was very close to stopping the Contrave in the early days, but extremely happy I didn’t!"

Thinagain (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2018

"I started off really good with it but then started to get ringing in my ears. I continued to take Contrave but the ringing was driving me crazy so I had to stop it. I've been off of it for some time now but still continue with the ringing in the ears which started with Contrave."

Rita (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2018

"I’ve been taking Contrave for 3 weeks and it’s working for me. My appetite and cravings have really been reduced. I can only eat about 1/3 of what I ate before getting on it. Previously I also loved beer and that’s made me gain a lot of weight. Now I have no cravings for beer and when I go out I can only drink 1 and I’m done because it just tastes bad now. It took about 10 days to get to this point so stick with it. The side effects were minimal, mostly drowsiness, and went away in a few days. I have no side effects now."

Ginger70 (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2018

"I've read the reviews on Contrave and decided to try it for myself. On day 1, I took my pill at 9am. I felt fine until 5pm. It hit me out of nowhere...major headache, jittery and I was so sick to my stomach. I know everyone reacts differently, but I should have listened to the reviews. I was so sick day 1 there wasn't a day 2."

NC (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

"I started Contrave in March, I know I have gone down maybe 5 lbs? but the headaches have not gone away and the hot flashes are horrible! I am on the 4 a day I am going to take the 2 in the am and try splitting the 2 at night? I know exercise is key and I am really trying at least walking everyday. I am hoping the side effects go away soon?"

lynda (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2018

"Week 2 on medicine. Last night I felt like I was dying. Nausea (since day 1), cold sweats (that's a new one), hot flashes, unable to sleep and VERY short tempered (since day 1). No effect on appetite either, unless you count always being nauseous as an appetite suppressant! Decided I'd rather be fat than feeling like i'm losing my mind in the middle of the night. I've taken Wellbutrin alone before and did not have such severe side effects. Must be the combination of the two medicines. My skin was crawling, hands and feet ice cold and was seeing things. Now I know what opioid withdrawal must feel like. Not pleasant. I'm stopping immediately.."

BigGuy (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018