User Reviews for Contrave

Learn more about Contrave.

Contrave Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 65 medications used in the treatment of Obesity.

Reviews for Contrave to treat Obesity

"I'm 30 years old weight 210lb and started using Contrave 8/8/2017. I haven't had to deal with all the negative side effects that come with this drug thankfully. I'm wanting to lose 60 pounds by May 2018. Don't know if I have lost any yet told myself I wouldn't weigh in till my doctor appointment on 09/05/2017. I do feel that it's working I don't feel like I have to eat all the time which I like because that is why I started taking contrave. All in all I'm liking contrave - it's doing what I wanted it to do. Will update after doctor appointment. Good luck to the rest of you on your weight loss journey."

Bambi87 August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"UPDATE : Starting weight 221.6lbs on April 8th, 5ft 3" tall, 47yr old female, this morning I am 188lbs. That's 33.6lbs down basically without exercising. Down from a size 18 shorts to a 14. I have a few clothes that once were too tight and my gut hung over that fit me now. And shorts I bought 4 years ago that I can pull off without unbuttoning. I have jeans from 2004 that I kept that were sentimental and I can almost button without a muffin top. This is why I push on....this is something I never thought I would feel, I look in the mirror and sorta see the old me coming back....its working for me and my husband can tell you my self confidence is better than its been in a LONG time!"

HeathsMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Unfortunately, I saw zero results. No change/help with appetite. No decreased cravings. Basically, no change with anything. Dry mouth and horrible insomnia were my side effects. I already suffer with sleep disturbances and I literally would only sleep a few hours a night while taking contrave. I tried it for two months and the cost is outrageous- $250 a month with a coupon. Hope it does help some folks- just didn't work at all for me."

Nursenays (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just finished my first week of contrave with metformin, and I have lost 11 lbs already. With PCOS, this is the first time I've seen weight loss like this. I do have some upset tummy and nausea, and I have to force myself to eat, because I am not hungry at all anymore. I am really hopeful. Down from 276 to 165. I haven't added exercise yet, and am really hopeful. Will update."

CurvyGirl (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Contrave back on May 15th and have lost 30 pounds. No side affects."

Estatic August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On day 3 so far mild headache til afternoon hours, kinda stay inside to prevent it from being worse, I hope this goes away. Other than that I feel fine. I like that I sweat more when I exercised, it's good to sweat n burn fat while you work out! I'll update Sunday at the time I do my weigh in for week one!"

Marylyn monroe August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am excited about this healthy journey. I started taking Contrave Monday 24th (183lbs) , went back to the doctor Saturday29th (179lbs). So yes it is working for me 4lbs down and 3lbs of fat gone! I have not had any side effects and I pray it skips me... My goal is to be 160lbs by 11/21 if I lose more that will be terrific! However, I know it's not a quick fix more of a lifestyle change which is why I am a pescatarian and loving it. I believe if you do your part (no junk, soda, or bad carbs) Contrave will do the rest. What makes it more worth the try was the cost. I use the coupon which discounted it to 90.00 plus my insurance covered it so I only paid 40.00 for a 30-day supply."

Thickfine (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So basically I weighed 286lb in Feb and used weight watchers until April, at which time I lost about 20lbs. I had really bad cravings and wanted to get off the diet, but decided to see a medic weight loss doctor. At first she prescribed metformin in morning and night to cut carb cravings (off label use, my blood work was all fine) I got down to like 255 after about 4 weeks on that. Then I said the carb cravings wouldn't go away all I wanted was bread and chocolate so she was going to put me on Contrave but new it was going to be hundreds a month. So she did what I recommend EVERYONE should do. She prescribed me Wellbutrin and Naltrexone and it comes out to be a similar dose to the max dose of Contrave. Works wonders.. down to 238lb as of today"

EJ07 July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I too was nauseated in the beginning but it was as worth working through. The timing of the medication is important since it has a relatively short span. In the beginning I was taking it 12 hours apart so if 8 am, than 8pm. I lost nothing. Now I take my 2nd one around 5-6 pm. Keeps me in control for the evening. As the other reviewer stated, you need to change your lifestyle. I kick started the program with nutrasystem and now understand portion size. I eat everything, just less. Lose it app is great for logging. I've lost 17lbs in 3 months. Also there is a discount card on their website. You shouldn't have to pay more than $99 per bottle. I highly recommend."

De Lynn July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have found Contrave to be a truly effective and exciting medication. I don't have cravings. I can walk right past cookies, donuts, pies, whatever at work and not feel like I've missed a thing. I only get really hungry when I have skipped a meal or forgotten to eat. As for side effects, I had some mild nausea at first and I still have what has been described by some as "flushing" - I get very hot in the mornings and sweat profusely for a while. I lost 20 pounds from the middle of April until the middle of July. I have not exercised at all but my energy level is definitely up. I am so happy my doctor prescribed this drug for me!"

Skinnyseeker July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Contrave & during the 2nd week became so nauseated that I had to stop taking it. About 4 weeks ago I started to take it again, and have stuck with just the ONE morning pill and have been doing great...I've lost 12 pounds. BUT and here is the biggest thing for those complaining they are "NOT LOSING WEIGHT" I'm also doing this with the Weight Watchers program, meaning I am taking accountability for the food I am putting into my mouth, I'm eating more fruits & veggies, I am not going to the drive through of McDonalds or eating medium size pizza's expecting this medication to help me lose weight. YOU have to change your habits or the medication won't do anything for you. I suggest taking this with a 'diet plan' or 'eating program'"

blondsungoddess (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am taking contrave for 3 months have not lost anything. I am paying the $300 a bottle for nothing, because my medical insurance won't cover it, the only thing I noticed is my nerves are over whelming , I am so angry more then usually, my question is I am taking zoloft as well - is this changing the effects of the contrave ,if so why didn't any one say something. Like my doctor. At times I feel like ripping someones head off"

Danita326482 July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Update: Starting weight 221.6lbs on April 8, 2017 today I am 193.4lbs. Seemed to have reached a plateau. Also had a point there over the weekend that I was starting to have cravings and worried that the medication wasn't working as well as it did in the beginning. Chocolate cravings....Hmmmmm....but now I am back on track and I didn't give in to the cravings other than my Carbsmart ice cream bars, and I will add time on my recumbent bike which I have not been doing to help push past this number on the scale. Good luck with your journey!"

HeathsMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Contrave for 9 months and have lost 80.1 pounds. I still have to do the work (eat right and exercise). For me it has been a tool to help me make better decisions. I still have a ways to go, but am confident I can continue to be successful."

Kellyoke72 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The headaches were bad. I've been off this medicine for months and can still vividly imagine the awful taste it leaves in your mouth. Like a gagging thirst. The headaches alone make it unbearable but the truly worst part is irritability. "

Crqzy July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"12 weeks and no change. The most expensive weight loss medication I have taken even with the card. Constipation and frequent need to urinate."

RueAnn (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Contrave June 1, 2017. I followed up to the third week because of the dizziness and sickness. I continued the third week and switched the times (two at night, one in the morning). I went back to the doctor on June 30, 2017 and gained 1 pound. It felt like I was doing good. Apparently not. I felt so discouraged. My doctor encouraged me to continue and also added B12 injections. We will see in another 2 months. Hopefully, I'll see results by then."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Female, 26, SW: 209 Currently on week 3 of Contrave. I've experienced all of the bad side effects (dry mouth, insane nausea, trouble sleeping at night, drowsiness during the day, vomiting, mental fogginess, severe dizziness, some anxiety, and weird dreams). Started to feel better by end of 2nd week, still dizzy but not debilitating. Usually workout 4x/week and can't because of dizziness. Increased to 3/day yesterday and the side effects are almost as bad as 1st week. I have noticed I don't have the cravings I usually do and can say no to food. However, I am still pretty hungry throughout the day. I'm hoping the side effects will go away and this will begin working. Will update when I have weighed in. Don't think I've lost any weight."

Autumn0725 (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Contrave for 6 weeks and am 20 pounds down (Starting weight 308lb now 288lb)!! At first the side effects were pretty bad. Highly recommend to increase doses when starting this medication as the website suggests. I experienced a bit of dizziness, sweating, and dry mouth are the main side effects for me. I made myself continue on the medication and the side effects lessened as my body got used to it. Now the side effects are minimal and worth dealing with for the results I am seeing. Hang in there if your trying it out! I rarely actually feel hungry. I eat small meals just to keep my body going. The best thing and most important for me is that I DO NOT crave anything like I did before, so I can control my eating choices. What a God send!!"

Val3ri3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm down 17 pounds in 23 days. I have NEVER had this kind of positive result from anything I've tried. I have PCOS so my hormones made losing weight almost impossible. I have found that I've had to play with the dosage a bit.... when I got to week 3 where I'm supposed to take 2 pills in the morning and 1 at night, the nausea was intolerable and I wasn't able to sleep at night. I found that taking one in the morning and 1 around 2-3 in the afternoon seems to be my "sweet spot". The only side effects are occasional nausea, constipation (easily managed with senna), and extreme dry mouth, which helps with my water intake! I cannot wait to see what results are down the road for me!"

MamaRNfromMS June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started Contrave 4/22, have lost 22 lbs. Had bad side effects at first, nausea, stomach pain. Bad dry mouth and weird dreams .Continued on and have been on 2 tabs in am and 2 in pm. No real side effects other than horrible dry mouth . Still no real cravings. Am on a high protein diet. Low carb low fat. Haven't really lost much in 14 days. I'm depressed. Eating very healthy. Any advice fellow Contravers?? I'm still going to take it. Has anyone else levelled off and then began to lose weight again? Would appreciate any feedback..I'm down a pant size and happy! Thank you!!"

Eigreg June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have only been on it ten days and have not reached full dosages, but I do not notice any decrease in wanting to eat my binge foods. I am committed to trying this for a month or two. I have now been on Contrave two weeks. I did not notice a difference in cravings or appetite until I began taking two pills in the am and one at night three days ago. The only side effect is I get a bit anxious and worry it might turn into a panic attack. This doesn't last long, but I am considering stopping because of it.... But I am Finally neutral to food, just eating to live and healthy food choices and smaller portions. I don't want those sugar and flour cravings to come back, as I am the heaviest I've ever been. I am 58 next month. "

Kickit June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 56yo woman, 405 lbs (not a typo), 5'9" tall. I find in thus forum that most people don't have the amount of wright to lose as I do yet I am hopeful. I started Contrave June 8th 2017 and have lost 11lbs. Soon I'll be up to 3 tabs/day. I find that it is helping somewhat yet I still am craving fast food. I am following a low carb diet with no exercise yet. I hope that the higher dose will help with the cravings more. Side effects for me have been lethargy and some nausea. I plan on continuing this med in hope that I finally can resolve my food addiction."

Motmot21 (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The 1st time I tried Contrave, one pill made me so sick to my stomach with vomiting and weird neuro side effects for 2 days. I tried again a couple of months later starting out with 1/4 tablet twice a day and worked up to 1 1/2 tablets twice a day. I have learned to take the meds in the middle of eating a meal and NOT to take near any coffee. I lost 8 lbs without changing my diet in a short time. I did notice my craving for sweets was nil. My dad passed away and I have gotten off Contrave but plan to start out 1 twice a day again and build up to the highest dosage I can tolerate. My cousin has been on the full dose for over 1 year and is STILL continuing to loose."

cactuspatch (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"June 18, 2017 - I started taking Contrave at the end of January 2017. In the middle of March, I added two Garcinia Gambogia (95%) and 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with any fruit juice, on a daily basis. I am female, and started out weighing 213 pounds. As of today, I have lost 26 pounds. This weight-loss medicine has helped me tremendously and I am looking forward to the next few months. If you are considering this medication, be sure and look for the half price coupon. It will save you lots of $$$. Good luck!"

DLT123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2017