User Reviews for Contrave

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Contrave.

Contrave Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 63 medications used in the treatment of Obesity.

Reviews for Contrave to treat Obesity

"Just about to start the full dose tomorrow. Other than the first day, I haven't really had any side effects. I'm now starting to notice a decrease in my appetite. I have lost 7.6lbs in 3 weeks. I guess that is good. After reading some comments though, I was hoping to have lost more. Will check back in, in about another 3 weeks."

Hnt82 December 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Contrave for about 11 months now and have lost about 30lbs due entirely to the medication. I mean-its the only thing. I used to work out w a trainer 2-3 times a week for years and I stopped going to the gym entirely and still lost the weight. I order the same food but eat only a 1/3. Now I can stop obsessing about what to eat! I will warn you that I CAN NOT DRINK AT ALL ON CONTRAVE!! If I have 2 glasses of wine -which I am offered often since I'm in the wine biz and I'm throwing up all night and have a 2 day hangover. When I know I'm going to have some drinks I skip the afternoon does or if I'm going to a wedding or on vaca I stop taking. I don't notice a huge change in my eating when I skip a day."

LauraElizabeth821 December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started Contrave on 12/4/17. I take zoloft as well, but dr. lowered my dose in half to stave off interaction. Seems like when I lie down to sleep, its kind of like an out of body experience for a few minutes??? Hopefully goes away."

MickeyD650 (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I stated taking Contrave a week ago I lost 7lbs so far. I don’t feel hungry but I eat about 3X a day low carb some protein and fiber. I drink plenty of water. I sometimes feel nauseous. I don’t like to take medications but I am trying to continue taking it because it seems like it’s working. After reading some of the reviews I am more confident about it now. I’ve been thinking about major side effects with Contrave but no one has reported any so far. Good luck everyone in this weight loss journey."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been on contrave for nine months now and have lost 72 lbs. weight loss is slower now but I am still losing. Only side effects have been constipation and dry mouth but both have been tolerable"

Skinnyme (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I'm on my third day of contrave. My doctor is having me take my first weeks dosage at night time so if I do experience the side effects a lot of you are talking about on here, she said I would probably sleep through them. Tonight is the first night I've stayed up, but nothing. A little rumbling in my stomach, but nothing bad. I have a mild case of dry mouth, but nothing to extreme. I have noticed that I don't want sugary things. I went to the store today and bought healthy foods because I wanted to. The craving for food hasn't completely gone away, but it has dramatically declined and at least now it's a craving for healthy food. And, I can not get enough of water."

ashleym09 (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Contrave beginning of October 2017, so up to four pills a day and I have lost almost 20 lbs. I didn't really have any weird side effects, never got nauseous, no headaches. Really thirsty, so I am drinking much more water now. So, other than the weight loss, here are the GOOD things that happened to me: I went from only sleeping 4 or 5 hours per night to a full 8 hours every single night since I started these. I haven't slept like this in years. Also, I don't crave alcohol like I did. Big help for me, as I loved my wine. I do get hungry, but my willpower is much stronger now. It's not like Phen-Fen that took away all food cravings for me, but I like how I am making better choices."

Catlick (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is my second time trying this medication. The first time I was not ready and didn't really make any lifestyle changes and didn't lose weight. So my Dr recommend it again and even said that he was going to take it too. That had me motivated and needless to say when I went back for my month follow up, he walked right past me because he said he almost didn't recognize me. I have been on this medication for about 6 months and I'm down 37lbs! Largest weight loss in my life!! I started at 264lb. I don't exercise but I have been practicing clean eating. Only eating salmon and no other meat, and eating veggies and fruit. It's been working.... and my Dr is also down some lbs!!!"

ShawnG (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started this medication on 11/3 and I’m down 21lbs. My problem is definitely psychological/mental and Contrave appealed to me because it helps with the chemical levels in your brain. Started seeing a change on the second day. Not wanting the junk food and not as much. Was automatically choosing healthier food not even thinking about it. Was satisfied with having healthy foods and not feeling deprived. Also gave me the want to exercise and not feel like I had to drag myself to the gym. Did see the “effectiveness” of it wear off as I got closer to upping the dose which concerns me that after hitting the 4 pills a day I’m gonna stall out. Side effects: queasy after taking it and dry mouth like crazy. but makes me drink more water so + & -"

OregonGirl (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started using Contrave 3 months ago. I take one 12 hour extended release tab twice daily and I must say I have never witnessed results as quickly as I have with contrave. My starting weight was 233.4 and in three months I’m down 20.8 pounds to 212.4. I weigh just about daily to get an accurate track of my weight loss or gain but I have noticed anywhere from a .4 to .8 weight loss per day with no exercise other than waking around inside the office and doing business. The only other thing I did in addition to taking contrave is that I have cut out most carbs that I once ate way to much or like bread, beer, French fries, baked potatoes, white rice and my old favorite Thai food noodles. After doing all of that I’m steadily losing weight"

William M (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started contrave on 10/1/17, my weight was 244lbs. The first week I did have headaches. I lost 6lbs my first week. I don't crave sweets and I look for healthier options. I have been on contrave for 7 weeks and I do get an occasional headache, but advil takes care of the headache. As of today 11/21/2017 I have lost a total of 24lbs. The one thing I learned about taking contrave... You still have to eat or you could have the side effects. It's all about making healthy choices. My prescription plan does cover contrave, my Dr's office did have to submit special paper work for the prescription plan to cover contrave."

Sogood4411 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking this pill yesterday (11/19/17) and about 2 hours after taking it felt extremely nauseous and tired. Came home and took a nap. Felt better when I woke up. Definitely noticed a difference in appetite. Wasn't hungry for anything. In the evening, I did recognize the cravings were coming back, but I steered clear of sweets. Woke up today with a horrible headache, not sure if it's related or not, but leery to take contrave again today because of headache. Will update later. But so far it is reducing cravings and can tell when it wears off. I'm sure when I ramp up to pills in afternoon, it won't wear off."

Hnt82 (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Contrave 5 days (11/13/2017) ago. I have ZERO side effects... yesterday I went to "all you can eat buffet" and did not look away from food.... I am not sure, if I eat less.... I do not think so. I will keep taking it for a while and we will see. I will give an update in a month or so..."

Barotr (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on CONTRAVE now for 6 months I think. Working but not as potent as in the beginning. Exercising moderately as well. It was covered by my insurance but no more. I have lost 31 lbs. Still,I can't stay on this med forever. Very expensive when paid out-of-pocket. I will try it one more month and then get off it. Side effects are still some dizziness and intermittent nausea."

ricca (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got Contrave and shelled out $99.00 for it. I took it the first day and experienced depressions and flu like symptoms plus I had insomnia. I took it the second day, thinking it would get better. Well that was a huge mistake. I felt like my body was freezing and then on fire. I could not function whatsoever. I was at work and had to be driven home by my co workers. I wanted to jump out of my co workers van! I could not concentrate or sit still. I also experienced diarrhea like never before!!! I have never gone through withdrawals symptoms like this before but I am never taking this rubbish again!"

Holly S. November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking contrave on (11/14/17). I took my pill in the morning and had water all day. I did eat but very little. I didn't feel nauseous or anything. The second day it hit me like a ton of bricks, holy nauseous but then I remembered someone recommended taking magnesium, so I ran out and took it, I felt so much better after it kicked in. Like a total different feeling. I did have a headache all day. I did eat but very little, I felt like I needed to eat or I would get sick. On the 3rd day, I took the pill in morning with the magnesium and no nauseous feelings at all. I ate a pieces of granola but I had no interest of eating, I had my afternoon coffee and that's it so far. I feel like I should be eating but no desire too."

Ajolie143 November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started at 5'8 189lb pounds. I just finished week one. After reading the reviews I was hesitant to try this but so far no nausea. I have noticed zero desire for sweets. Even diet soda (which I used to love) holds little interest for me. Day 2-4 I noticed way more energy but I seemed to get used to the drug by day 5 and slept more but still have no interest in most food, get fuller faster and am repulsed by sugar. Starting my second pm dose tonight for week 2. *I take no additional medications."

Sarah4444 November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine is pure trash and so are these "paid reviews" all over the web. I asked my physician to prescribe this medication after discussing the medication. I was told it has an antidepressant and helps to regulate emotional eating. HOWEVER! I did not research this medication in depth until I purchased it for $100 (after downloading the online coupon). When the pharmacist gave it to me, they informed me three times that the medication was non-refundable (which I should have known then). I also received a 6 page, 2 sided 8x10 list of warnings. This made me go home and actually do in depth research and prompted me to read experiences from other users. They warned of headaches and nausea among other things. Continued on next post....."

alivej November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’ve been taking Contrave for 5 days. I noticed a change in my appetite on the first day. I was definitely less hungry. On the 2nd day, I felt great. I had more energy than I’d had in a very long time. The thought of junk food disgusted me. If I looked at it, I became nauseous. On the 3rd day, the nausea was unbelievable. I couldn’t keep anything down. I forced myself to drink water and to keep trying to eat. Day 4, less nauseous, little to no appetite. I forced myself to eat again. There was just no desire for food. I didn’t think about food….usually, I obsessed over it. Day 5, very little nausea in the morning. I’ve been able to eat small meals. I’ve found just in these 5 days that I’m interested in more healthy options. The food I used to love, I no longer have any taste for. So, if nausea is the only side effect for me, I’ll fight through it because I can already see a difference in me. Good luck to those interested and those already using Contrave to aid in their weight loss!!"

MiiNuLyfe (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well I've been taking this med for a little over a month now. I will say the first night I took it I did suffer insomnia but only for one night. Now that I'm on the full dosage for about 2 weeks now I am noticing more of a nausea feeling for the past few days. I've lost about 13lbs so it does works for me. However I don't believe I'll be taking for too much longer due to the nausea feeling. FYI - If you eat any grease or fried foods you will definitely feel the affects. It does force you to think about what you are eating and how it affects you."

TamD2013 November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started one week ago today. Only been hungry one day. Lost 3.2 lbs and 6.5 inches. More energy than I've had in years and overall happier. Look forward to continued success."

Tamine November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Contrave on 10/23/17. I felt very dizzy and nauseous within minutes of taking it. I continued it for the 1st week and still felt the same. I lost 6 lbs in the 1st week. I stopped taking it for a week due to the side effects. I just restarted it again today, still feel dizzy and sick. I'm going to try to stick with it and hope the side effects will go away."

Helen2011 (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I would NOT suggest this drug. I normally do not get side effects from drugs that are prescribed to me. Let me tell you, I had the worse side effects possible. Day 1 - I took my first pill in the AM, I was kind of scared so I took it with breakfast, no caffeine and only water. About 2 hours into the meds, my heart started to race, my mind was going crazy & I could not concentrate. I was sick to my stomach. There were several occasions where I thought I should tell my co-workers to call 911, it was that bad. I was sweating, shaking, it was horrible! 3 hours into the medication I went home sick that day. I felt like i had the flu. it took all day, sleeping it off overnight for the meds to wear off. DO NOT TAKE!! Only 1 day on Meds."

Mia Leigh (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So after reading all of the other reviews I thought I'd make one myself. Well so far this is my second week on Contrave I'm at the one in the morning, one in the afternoon phase. I have not lost any weight yet but I will to continue into the other phases just to see if the medication will work. One thing I can say is unlike many of the other reviews I have not had a lot of side effects, maybe a little nausea but not enough to be concerned about. So lets see where I am into my third week which will be two pills in the morning and one in the evening, I will keep you guys posted."

Tkgreat (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this medication for 9 days now. So far I have lost 6lbs. I do not feel as hungry or crave food. However, I am having a lot of side effects such as dizziness, dark urine, ringing in the ears, severe fatigue, and low blood pressure. Can anyone give me advice about if the side effects do indeed go away?"

Wine0806 (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2017