Generic name: SEMAGLUTIDE 1.34mg in 1mL
Dosage form: injection, solution
Drug class: Incretin mimetics
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 7, 2022.
- Start OZEMPIC with a 0.25 mg subcutaneous injection once weekly for 4 weeks. The 0.25 mg dosage is intended for treatment initiation and is not effective for glycemic control.
- After 4 weeks on the 0.25 mg dosage, increase the dosage to 0.5 mg once weekly.
- If additional glycemic control is needed after at least 4 weeks on the 0.5 mg dosage, the dosage may be increased to 1 mg once weekly.
- If additional glycemic control is needed after at least 4 weeks on the 1 mg dosage, the dosage may be increased to 2 mg once weekly. The maximum recommended dosage is 2 mg once weekly.
- Administer OZEMPIC once weekly, on the same day each week, at any time of the day, with or without meals.
- The day of weekly administration can be changed if necessary as long as the time between two doses is at least 2 days (>48 hours).
- If a dose is missed, administer OZEMPIC as soon as possible within 5 days after the missed dose. If more than 5 days have passed, skip the missed dose and administer the next dose on the regularly scheduled day. In each case, patients can then resume their regular once weekly dosing schedule.
Important Administration Instructions
- Administer OZEMPIC subcutaneously to the abdomen, thigh, or upper arm. Instruct patients to use a different injection site each week when injecting in the same body region.
- Inspect OZEMPIC visually before use. It should appear clear and colorless. Do not use OZEMPIC if particulate matter and coloration is seen.
- When using OZEMPIC with insulin, instruct patients to administer as separate injections and to never mix the products. It is acceptable to inject OZEMPIC and insulin in the same body region, but the injections should not be adjacent to each other.
Frequently asked questions
- How do Mounjaro, Wegovy & Ozempic compare for weight loss?
- Mounjaro vs Ozempic: How do they compare?
- How many doses are in an Ozempic pen?
- 4 Key Ozempic Side Effects to Watch Out For
- Taking Ozempic: What foods should you avoid?
- Ozempic vs Wegovy: What's the difference between them?
- How long does it take for Ozempic to work?
- Does Ozempic need to be refrigerated?
- How long does it take to lose weight on Wegovy?
- What is Ozempic used for and how does it work?
- How does Ozempic (semaglutide) help with weight loss?
- What is Ozempic face?
- Where and how should Ozempic be injected?
- What type of drug is Ozempic (semaglutide)?
- Does Rybelsus help with weight loss?
More about Ozempic (semaglutide)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (917)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- Patient tips
- During pregnancy
- Support group
- FDA approval history
- Drug class: incretin mimetics
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.