User Reviews for Emsam to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Emsam has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder. 33% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Emsam Rating Summary

5.4/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Di · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 29, 2020

“I have been taking Emsam 6 mg for almost two months I initially was feeling pretty good but the last 21 days I have been very depressed and full of anxiety. I have tried almost every other antidepressant, SNRI and mood stabilizer. I also did two rounds of TMS. Really want this medicine to work and want to stay at the 6 mg because of the possible strokes from eating foods high in Tyramine. I do suffer from insomnia but take clonazepam 0.5 mg and that has helped. Just wish I knew why I have been so depressed and full of anxiety.”

Radioman94 · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2019

“Tried many antidepressant medicines over 30 years without much satisfaction now on 9 milligrams of ensam patch waiting to see results 1 3 weeks with a slight improvement in depression.”

Mindfixer · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2019

“I’ve been on just about very antidepressants known to man over the last 40 years. Nardil worked for five years and then suddenly stopped being effective. Two years ago I had 10 ECT treatments at UCLA, which where ineffective . Becoming desperate, I tried Emsam for two months. It had no effect at all, and at a cost of $1500.00 per month, might be considered one of the bigger pharmaceutical rip-offs.”

Dr disc · Taken for 10 years or more November 3, 2017

“25 yrs on Nardil. One ER room crisis with cheese. Had multiple negative reactions with avocado and red wine. Switched to 12 mg Emsam five years ago. Over time I felt anxious. Reduced to 9mgs. Feel much better. Wanting to reduce to 6 mg. Biggest problem is finding a Shrink that understands Emsam. Seems you need to find your own way with Emsam and it is very expensive. I have had suicidal thoughts while on Emsam. They have been cyclical. No depression since going from 12 to 9 mg. My age 79. Still very active sex life. My weight is constant.exercise, bike ride hills, hike and surf. I watch the diet restrictions. Hope this can help others. Nothing has ever helped except MAOI meds. Tried all the others. Nothing else worked.”

Booky · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2019

“I’ve tried so many psychotropic drugs for the last 30 years resulting in untoward side effects or ineffectiveness. My psychiatrist referred me for a second opinion med consult and the doctor I saw put me on Emsam for my MDD. I’ve been on 6mg for 3 weeks and I noticed a difference in about a week. I feel like the doom is lifting and I’m not as depressed. What amazes me is I have no flat feelings at all which is something that has left me feeling less than human on SSRI’s. I will be upping my dose after a month. Insomnia is a problem but I have it anyway so hard to tell what’s what. I’m still feeling anxious and tired but it’s much less and I hope with time that will get better. Also, it’s tricky to get the patch to stay on but I found a good spot that works for me. I put mine on the top of my thigh and that seems to be ok. So... what I’m trying to say... so far I like it!”

Musicmomma36 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 3, 2015

“I have tried several medications for my major depression over the years and Emsam side effects have, by far, been the smallest. There are no sexual side effects, no weight gain, etc. My moods are not "monotone" like I had felt on some of the other medications. The only drawback to this medication, in my opinion, is the food/drink watch. I personally don't have to modify much, but if you drink a lot or eat a lot of aged foods, this will be an issue for you on Emsam. Also this is an MAOi so there are medication interactions as well. But mood wise, depression, anxiety...this is the best ever!”

danjsul · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2016

“I've been on 6mg for a week now. I know I will probably need to be on 12mg as I think I'm probably one of the most rapid drug metabolizers there is but I can tell things are different again. I've tried Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Trazodone and the traditional MAOI parnate and the only one that helped at all was Parnate which I stopped because of swollen ankles but actually started again this time when I withdrew from cymbalta again before starting Emsam. Parnate & Emsam actually lower my BP. I also take 40mg Adderall 3xday and Claritin D and don't have hypertensive crisis or SS. MAOIs are the only AD that don't make me numb & hopefully at 9 or 12mg it will be great. I get upset easier but I am happy easier too.”

happypills8 · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 15, 2017

“The side effects of this drug have destroyed my well-being, and I am not exaggerating when I say that. Everything was going very well the first 2 months I was on the drug. But then the insomnia started. And then came the irritability. Then the short temper. Then the escalated anger. And then came the panic attacks, leading to dependency on Xanax XR. Depression came back anyway when the insomnia started. My social anxiety has returned in a big way. The lowest dose was too activating for me. I would not recommend this medication for anyone who suffers from anxiety along with depression, even *if* your depression is worse than your anxiety. I've been off it for almost a week. Pro: transdermal = bypasses the digestive tract”

Vsharp · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2019

“Was on the lowest dose, to prevent to many food restrictions. Did nothing for my depression- in fact made my mood awful, gave me nightmares in which I did unspeakably violent things, and a waking rage I have never experienced. Weeks off it, and my doctor is trying to get rid of my extreme agitation and anger with no success. I can’t interact with people without losing my temper. Comes in a very convenient patch form, but that’s the only positive, in my opinion.”

Tunio February 16, 2018

“I took Emsam for 3 weeks, and before Emsam I tried many antidepressants,TMS and also ECT nothing helped. I was hoping this medicine would help but sides effects are unbearable stomach pain, indigestion, nausea, upset stomach. I tried to relieved this with other medications like Zantac but with no effect. I really want this medicine to work but I have no luck again. I don’t know what to do now because my options are limited.”

Z-Nine · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2018

“Is a potential cure for your depression worth crippling debt? Well I guess you'll find out after you pay over $1500 for a 30 day supply. Unless you have your Medicare paid for you, look elsewhere.”

Learn more about Major Depressive Disorder