Selegiline use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Selegiline: Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar, Atapryl, Carbex, Selgene, Jumex
Selegiline Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Because little information is available on the use of selegiline during breastfeeding, an alternate drug may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
A woman took selegiline 10 mg/day, levodopa 400 mg and benserazide 100 mg daily throughout pregnancy and continued them while breastfeeding her infant for 3 days. The child was followed for 10 years and no developmental abnormalities were found.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Selegiline can decrease serum prolactin in women with migraine, and in those taking neuroleptic drugs with elevated serum prolactin. The clinical relevance of these findings in nursing mothers is not known. The prolactin level in a mother with established lactation may not affect her ability to breastfeed.
1. Kupsch A, Oertel WH. Selegiline, pregnancy, and Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord. 1998;175-6. PMID: 9452347
2. Calabresi P, Silvestrini M, Stratta F et al. l-Deprenyl test in migraine: neuroendocrinological aspects. Cephalalgia. 1993;13:406-9. PMID: 8313454
3. Kodesh A, Weizman A, Aizenberg D et al. Selegiline in the treatment of sexual dysfunction in schizophrenic patients maintained on neuroleptics: a pilot study. Clin Neuropharmacol. 2003;26:193-5. PMID: 12897639
4. Perenyi A, Bagdy G, Arato M. An early phase II trial with L-deprenyl for the treatment of neuroleptic-induced parkinsonism. Pharmacopsychiatria. 1983;16:143-6. PMID: 6140692
CAS Registry Number
Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about selegiline
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 37 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: dopaminergic antiparkinsonism agents
- Selegiline orally disintegrating tablets
- Selegiline system
- Selegiline transdermal
- Selegiline Oral (Advanced Reading)
- Selegiline Transdermal (Advanced Reading)