User Reviews for Selegiline

Also known as: Emsam, Eldepryl, Zelapar, Atapryl

Selegiline has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 55 ratings on Drugs.com. 78% of those users who reviewed Selegiline reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Depression
10.0
Summary of Selegiline reviews 7.8 55 reviews

Reviews for Selegiline

amirmahdi · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 7, 2021

For ADHD: “In Iran, it is customary for doctors not to continue treatment with Ritalin for ADHD after puberty. So, I had a lot of problems. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that the only over-the-counter drugs that can be effective include selegiline and amantadine, and that I got better results from selegiline than from Ritalin.”

Joe M · Taken for 10 years or more October 11, 2020

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “I've been using EMSAM transdermal patch since it was introduced in 2006. My final dose is 9mg/24 hours. I started on 6mg/24 hours Prior to EMSAM I was on many different antidepressants. Since being on EMSAM I feel like a new person. My depression is completely gone. I feel normal. I highly recommend EMSAM. Regarding potential food interactions: In the 14 years I've been using EMSAM I've had one food interaction. I ate sauerkraut once about ten years ago and felt dizzy. By resting and drinking a lot of water the interaction went away. Follow your Doctor's instructions.”

Di · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 29, 2020

Emsam (selegiline) for Major Depressive Disorder: “I have been taking Emsam 6 mg for almost two months I initially was feeling pretty good but the last 21 days I have been very depressed and full of anxiety. I have tried almost every other antidepressant, SNRI and mood stabilizer. I also did two rounds of TMS. Really want this medicine to work and want to stay at the 6 mg because of the possible strokes from eating foods high in Tyramine. I do suffer from insomnia but take clonazepam 0.5 mg and that has helped. Just wish I knew why I have been so depressed and full of anxiety.”

Jp · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 16, 2020

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “Started 25 years ago on Prozac and Paxil. Didn’t work. Tried nardil and felt incredible. Over a 5 year period it seemed to diminish and did not work anymore when they changed the coating on it. Over the next 15 years went through many trials and nothing helped. Started Emsan 9mg a year ago and it has helped. I feel 80%. which is acceptable. I can’t think of any side effects. Cost through ins was $80 but the tech at CVS found a coupon and it is only $20/month. Over the past 6 months have read as many books on anxiety/depression that I could and that has helped even more. I pick up tips that help me with anxiety/depression. Never stop trying!!!!”

gkm · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 20, 2013

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “I have tried what seems like every medicine for my depression and have only experience temporary minor relief of symptoms. My psychiatrist wanted to try ECT because nothing else was working and I was tired of being in the hospital, but I refused. She then mentioned that MAOIs(monoamine oxidase inhibitors) can sometimes be helpful for those who don't respond to other medicines so I agreed to try it. It has been a miracle worker for me! I have been on it for about 10 months and I have not had any severe depressive episodes and find myself going through the day without all of the terrible thoughts and cravings that used to haunt me. I went from extremely suicidal to functioning normally. I didn't even know I could feel this way!”

Dan · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 16, 2019

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “Currently on Emsam 6mg (selegiline) Such an amazing medication. Feel like myself, tons of energy, very social, and confident. Been on almost every SSRI and loads of other psych meds that have never worked. The lowest dose of 6mg allows me to eat whatever I want (that I'm not supposed to) not worry about having a hypertensive crisis. I take 200 mg of 5HTP (the direct precursor to serotonin) a day, too. Never had any adverse reactions. Feel great and love life!”

Carrw · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 4, 2015

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “86 yrs old depressed 3 yrs. Tried all medicine, nothing. Electro shock, nothing. On EMSAM patch 6mg nothing. Up to 9mg back to normal in TWO Days! Got shaky and up to 12mg and have been great for 1-2 yrs. Drink bottle white wine at dinner out, have frequent sex, eat small amounts of forbidden fruit, hot shower on patch, if itch scratch patch, sleep like a baby no side effects. Would not go back to suicidal state I once was in.”

AuntieBB March 25, 2013

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “I have been on many pills over and over trying to get my depression/bipolar under control. I would find something but then it would only work for a couple of months then back to square one. Ever since I was put on the Emsam patch I have loved it, I feel more alive, and wanting to get out and do things. I feel better about myself, I do my hair, makeup, and feel like I am part of society again. I have energy and the food restriction hasn't been that big of an issue, it has been a healthy change for me. Yes it is expensive and can have high copays but worth it. I was paying more for all the doctor copays and medicine copays then I am now for the Emsam patch. I would recommend it to everyone!”

:) June 13, 2011

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “Where has this medication been hiding? I've suffered from depression for 18 years, having to change medicines every couple years and usually never feeling too good...just pulling myself through everyday. I've been on Zoloft, Effexor, Prozac, Cymbalta with low dose Abilify and Wellbutrin. Finally a month ago a new Doctor suggested the EMSAM patch. I feel like the darkness has been lifted. I have energy, can concentrate and actually look forward to doing or planning things. Even the Adderall I had once taken to help increase my energy level didn't do what this patch is doing. EMSAM has changed not only my life, but my family's as well.”

ultimus gimp September 13, 2012

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “I lived in a world of gray with a circle of awareness as little as two feet. I was the quintessential invisible man. I tried all the antidepressants for over 50 years. Everything was totally useless and with horrible side effects to the extent that one wonders why anyone would prescribe it. The first thing that actually worked was Nardil which opened me to a world of light and color that I didn't know existed, but it had its problems and became ineffective after a time. 6 years ago my doctor finally gave up and gave me this. She started me on the low dose patch which didn't seem to do much but the fog did lift . I seem to have few if any side effects. Emsam is worth trying.”

Rotiart · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2013

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “I have been dealing with Bipolar II for most of my life without realizing it was anything more than depression with some bouts of super focus and productivity. After being diagnosed and trying a few different treatments that had worse side effects than the depression we tried Emsam at the 6mg dose. Almost overnight I noticed a massive improvement. While I tend to go into hypomanic states more often with this, it is controllable and I am more than happy to have this as the major side effect. I have been taking it for almost 2 months at the moment and hope that it keeps rocking!”

vietnam70 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 8, 2012

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “For depression, this is the very best for me. I still eat the foods that you can't with a pill form of a MAO Inhibitor. I have to avoid other stimulants, over-the-counter or meds. I take different meds for my anxiety. The Emsam patch has stopped my depressive episodes that started in Vietnam in 1970”

Bobby · Taken for 10 years or more January 23, 2019

For Depression: “Clinically depressed for over 50 years. Used Nardil for 35 years then switched to Emsam. It works well. I sometimes have depression episodes but they do not last more than a few weeks. I take 9MG patch. I started with 12 MG. I eat everything and drink red wine. I have sex 2-3 times a week with no meds. I am energetic, a bike racer, swimmer, golfer, world traveler and I am 80. Living in my RV seven months this year traveling the USA. I think the Emsam-Selegine-Deprenyl is a youth drug. Everyone says they have never seen anyone 80 act like me or have the energy I do. I am loving life. My wife died 13 years ago and I remarried a woman 24 years younger. I have been on an MAOI for 0ver 50 years and it helped me become quite successful. Always had clear thought patterns, an uplifted attitude and plenty of sex. Does it get any better? It is a long way from the day I put a 357 Mag in my mouth and almost pulled the trigger. Bobby”

mygroomer September 20, 2011

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “I started Emsam when hospitalized. My doctor noticed the positive effects before I did. She noticed I was thinking more clearly and more active. After 2 weeks I began to notice my mental clarity. After 1 month I cleaned my house in 1 day and began to shower, dress, apply make up and do my hair every day. I did not have to think about what need to be done I JUST DID IT. This was the first time in my life I can ever remember just being ME. After 6 months I became allergic to the adhesive, I can no longer use Emsam. What I wouldn't give to once again KNOW WHO I AM. But I am lost in depression and pain. I would gladly live with the restriction of Emsam because I WOULD BE LIVING.”

LKW01915 January 30, 2012

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “I tried EVERYTHING to get over what was first diagnosed as depression (30 years ago). About 12 years ago I started seeing a psychiatrist who thought I might be bipolar, type 2 (mostly depressive, no full-blown manic state) and started me on Emsam. It took some time-can't really remember but maybe a month but it works. Yes, there are side effects-insomnia being the worst but that dissipated in a few months. We all know that what works for one person may not for another but this is not an SSRI which can't "touch" depression associated with bipolar. And you don't have to be bipolar for it to work. I know it's frustrating but give it a shot-maybe you'll be like me and never have to try another medicine again!”

FosterM December 20, 2017

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “Have taken 8 different SSRI medications. All were beneficial and provided relief. But all also fizzled out after a period of time. Have been through 2 full treatments of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. Great relief but for only a 3 month period. Have had 8 treatments of ECT with no benefit. The 12 mg Emsam patch has been a literal life saver for me. The side effects are a piece of cake as far as I’m concerned. One rare side effect that I experienced was that it lowered my blood pressure. I learned that having blood pressure levels normal is really debilitating. But this medicine has completely and totally lifted my depression...this is the best I’ve felt since my first continuous bout with depression in 1999!”

Dr disc · Taken for 10 years or more November 3, 2017

Emsam (selegiline) for Major Depressive Disorder: “25 yrs on Nardil. One ER room crisis with cheese. Had multiple negative reactions with avocado and red wine. Switched to 12 mg Emsam five years ago. Over time I felt anxious. Reduced to 9mgs. Feel much better. Wanting to reduce to 6 mg. Biggest problem is finding a Shrink that understands Emsam. Seems you need to find your own way with Emsam and it is very expensive. I have had suicidal thoughts while on Emsam. They have been cyclical. No depression since going from 12 to 9 mg. My age 79. Still very active sex life. My weight is constant.exercise, bike ride hills, hike and surf. I watch the diet restrictions. Hope this can help others. Nothing has ever helped except MAOI meds. Tried all the others. Nothing else worked.”

Anonymous April 10, 2008

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “I have tried what feels like every medicine available for the past 10 years, and this is the first time that I feel like I enjoy life for long periods of time. Sure, with severe depression/anxiety, you will always have down days, but since taking this medicine, they have become less, and the depressed feeling doesn't last as long. I'm pretty upbeat now, and sometimes can be very chatty.”

gigantor · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2012

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “This helps my depression more than anything I've tried. I'm using Emsam and the ease of use is excellent. I have fibromyalgia and this might also be helping my pain, fatigue, and libido since I've noticed improvement with all. At first I craved sweets but don't now. I have mild irritation at the patch site. I wake up at least once at night to urinate (where I didn't before) and I also want a snack at that time, too. Even with night eating, I think I'm losing weight on this medication. My one concern is that I am definitely losing my hair on this. I will see my psychiatrist next week for a one month follow up and if the hair loss is easily remedied, I'll stick with it. Expensive without insurance.”

Anonymous March 1, 2012

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “Emsam is by far the best antidepressant I have come across in over 20 years of treatment in which I have been given everything under the sun. Welbutrin was ok but was weak, edgy and stops working after about 6 months. I have been on Emsam twice now for stints of about a year each. Unlike other antidepressants it doesn't have that plastic, fake agitaged feeling to it. Feels like natural emotions. It cuts my depression roughly in half. Still suicidal often, but not every moment of every day. I have a severe skin reaction to the adhessive that looks horrific but its worth it. Other than that and worsening insomnia it really doesn't have side effects. Well worth the rash. I have to stay at 6mg because the higher doses produce psychosis in me.”

Anonymous March 15, 2008

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “Emsam transdermal has given me back my life! From a depression so severe that I was non-functional, I am now back to the person who loves life and living. My doctor tried every ssri you can imagine with my condition only worsening. The only adverse side effects seem to be skin irritation and constipation. I still have a lot of stress in my life but I am now able to deal with my problems instead of trying to escape from the world.”

Anonymous October 22, 2011

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “I've been taking selegiline (Emsam) for depression for three years after 40 of pretty much everything else. This has been the most effective treatment I've had, lasting the longest with the best results. Side effects have been limited to skin irritation from the patch. The dietary restrictions aren't proving to be too restrictive. On a couple of occasions, I've had food with tyramine by accident. A bad headache for a few hours was the only result. (I didn't realize that I'd had the tyramine until after the headache had come and gone.) The price and need for prior authorization are my only real complaints.”

Booky · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2019

Emsam (selegiline) for Major Depressive Disorder: “I’ve tried so many psychotropic drugs for the last 30 years resulting in untoward side effects or ineffectiveness. My psychiatrist referred me for a second opinion med consult and the doctor I saw put me on Emsam for my MDD. I’ve been on 6mg for 3 weeks and I noticed a difference in about a week. I feel like the doom is lifting and I’m not as depressed. What amazes me is I have no flat feelings at all which is something that has left me feeling less than human on SSRI’s. I will be upping my dose after a month. Insomnia is a problem but I have it anyway so hard to tell what’s what. I’m still feeling anxious and tired but it’s much less and I hope with time that will get better. Also, it’s tricky to get the patch to stay on but I found a good spot that works for me. I put mine on the top of my thigh and that seems to be ok. So... what I’m trying to say... so far I like it!”

Caryn Brown December 4, 2011

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “EMSAM greatly helped the depression and anxiety. I had energy and a life again. But I had insomnia very hard to treat. I tried Ambien, Lunesta, Seroquel, Ativan and Trazodone but nothing helped. My Psychiatrist suggested Chloral Hydrate. ”

Musicmomma36 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 3, 2015

Emsam (selegiline) for Major Depressive Disorder: “I have tried several medications for my major depression over the years and Emsam side effects have, by far, been the smallest. There are no sexual side effects, no weight gain, etc. My moods are not "monotone" like I had felt on some of the other medications. The only drawback to this medication, in my opinion, is the food/drink watch. I personally don't have to modify much, but if you drink a lot or eat a lot of aged foods, this will be an issue for you on Emsam. Also this is an MAOi so there are medication interactions as well. But mood wise, depression, anxiety...this is the best ever!”

Anonymous November 12, 2009

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “I've been on this medication for several years now. During winter months we up my dose and in spring reduce it. After about 12 years of trying SSRI's and not having a lot of success we tried this drug. It has been the best medication for my depression. There are a number of precautions that you must remember to take. #1 Challenge each doctor to check and see if a new medication will react badly to the Emsam, a lot of the medications have interaction with Emsam. Also you must give up aged things, like Pepperoni, Salomi, Beer, Wine, and Worchester and Soy sauces. I learned the hard way about the last 2. Most important thing is challenge all new medications and MAKE the doctor look them up. ”

Smirch April 24, 2019

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “I don't need to go into detail here about how terrifying going through your first depressive episode is. I was prescribed 6 mg Emsam. I didn't notice an improvement for the first three weeks. When I was bumped up to 9 mg... I began to laugh again. I was able to FUNCTION again. I'm to a comparable state to where I was before my depressive episode, however with a few alterations in my personality. The negatives: insomnia - It is rare when I am able to sleep through the night. I often wake up in the middle of the night, and have a lot of difficulty falling back asleep. My psychiatrist recommended that I take off the patch before going to bed, but this put me in a really weird mood in the morning. The irritability - I notice that I get frustrated / angry much more easily now and I never felt like this before. This medication has been an absolute lifesaver for me.”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

Emsam (selegiline) for Depression: “Took this years ago for bipolar, I took it for several months and it caused severely agitated mania. Felt good at euphoric at first and quickly turned into extreme anger and impulsivity. Barely slept and when I did, the nightmares were violent and never-ending. Dr took me right off it.”