User Reviews for Emsam

Major Depressive Disorder
6.5

Summary of Emsam reviews 8.0 31 reviews

Reviews for Emsam

For Major Depressive Disorder "Is a potential cure for your depression worth crippling debt? Well I guess you'll find out after you pay over $1500 for a 30 day supply. Unless you have your Medicare paid for you, look elsewhere."

Z-Nine (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I took Emsam for 3 weeks, and before Emsam I tried many antidepressants,TMS and also ECT nothing helped. I was hoping this medicine would help but sides effects are unbearable stomach pain, indigestion, nausea, upset stomach. I tried to relieved this with other medications like Zantac but with no effect. I really want this medicine to work but I have no luck again. I don’t know what to do now because my options are limited."

Tunio February 16, 2018

For Depression "Have taken 8 different SSRI medications. All were beneficial and provided relief. But all also fizzled out after a period of time. Have been through 2 full treatments of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. Great relief but for only a 3 month period. Have had 8 treatments of ECT with no benefit. The 12 mg Emsam patch has been a literal life saver for me. The side effects are a piece of cake as far as I’m concerned. One rare side effect that I experienced was that it lowered my blood pressure. I learned that having blood pressure levels normal is really debilitating. But this medicine has completely and totally lifted my depression...this is the best I’ve felt since my first continuous bout with depression in 1999!"

FosterM December 20, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "25 yrs on Nardil. One ER room crisis with cheese. Had multiple negative reactions with avocado and red wine. Switched to 12 mg Emsam five years ago. Over time I felt anxious. Reduced to 9mgs. Feel much better. Wanting to reduce to 6 mg. Biggest problem is finding a Shrink that understands Emsam. Seems you need to find your own way with Emsam and it is very expensive. I have had suicidal thoughts while on Emsam. They have been cyclical. No depression since going from 12 to 9 mg. My age 79. Still very active sex life. My weight is constant.exercise, bike ride hills, hike and surf. I watch the diet restrictions. Hope this can help others. Nothing has ever helped except MAOI meds. Tried all the others. Nothing else worked."

Dr disc (taken for 10 years or more) November 3, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "The side effects of this drug have destroyed my well-being, and I am not exaggerating when I say that. Everything was going very well the first 2 months I was on the drug. But then the insomnia started. And then came the irritability. Then the short temper. Then the escalated anger. And then came the panic attacks, leading to dependency on Xanax XR. Depression came back anyway when the insomnia started. My social anxiety has returned in a big way. The lowest dose was too activating for me. I would not recommend this medication for anyone who suffers from anxiety along with depression, even *if* your depression is worse than your anxiety. I've been off it for almost a week. Pro: transdermal = bypasses the digestive tract"

happypills8 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 15, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on 6mg for a week now. I know I will probably need to be on 12mg as I think I'm probably one of the most rapid drug metabolizers there is but I can tell things are different again. I've tried Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Trazodone and the traditional MAOI parnate and the only one that helped at all was Parnate which I stopped because of swollen ankles but actually started again this time when I withdrew from cymbalta again before starting Emsam. Parnate & Emsam actually lower my BP. I also take 40mg Adderall 3xday and Claritin D and don't have hypertensive crisis or SS. MAOIs are the only AD that don't make me numb & hopefully at 9 or 12mg it will be great. I get upset easier but I am happy easier too."

danjsul (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

For Depression "I actually struggle with the possibility of bp ii. At 6 MG I didn't have any response positive or negative except that is repressed my appetite, with infrequent feelings of rage,which were controllable with benzos (ativan). At 9 mg I began to have extreme insomnia (probably because it metabolizes as l-amphetamine or an adderal-like substance). At this dosage the rage I would feel was too much to handle, and was very much similar to what I felt on wellbutrin. I would caution anyone, if you have rage on wellbutrin, you may (as others have anecdotally said) have feelings of rage on emsam as well. It's worth a try still, however, as when I wasn't feeling intense anger, at 9 mg I did feel better. best of luck."

Noonesbusiness (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2016

For Depression "86 yrs old depressed 3 yrs. Tried all medicine, nothing. Electro shock, nothing. On EMSAM patch 6mg nothing. Up to 9mg back to normal in TWO Days! Got shaky and up to 12mg and have been great for 1-2 yrs. Drink bottle white wine at dinner out, have frequent sex, eat small amounts of forbidden fruit, hot shower on patch, if itch scratch patch, sleep like a baby no side effects. Would not go back to suicidal state I once was in."

Carrw (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 4, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have tried several medications for my major depression over the years and Emsam side effects have, by far, been the smallest. There are no sexual side effects, no weight gain, etc. My moods are not "monotone" like I had felt on some of the other medications. The only drawback to this medication, in my opinion, is the food/drink watch. I personally don't have to modify much, but if you drink a lot or eat a lot of aged foods, this will be an issue for you on Emsam. Also this is an MAOi so there are medication interactions as well. But mood wise, depression, anxiety...this is the best ever!"

Musicmomma36 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 3, 2015

For Depression "I have been dealing with Bipolar II for most of my life without realizing it was anything more than depression with some bouts of super focus and productivity. After being diagnosed and trying a few different treatments that had worse side effects than the depression we tried Emsam at the 6mg dose. Almost overnight I noticed a massive improvement. While I tend to go into hypomanic states more often with this, it is controllable and I am more than happy to have this as the major side effect. I have been taking it for almost 2 months at the moment and hope that it keeps rocking!"

Rotiart (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2013

For Depression "I have tried what seems like every medicine for my depression and have only experience temporary minor relief of symptoms. My psychiatrist wanted to try ECT because nothing else was working and I was tired of being in the hospital, but I refused. She then mentioned that MAOIs(monoamine oxidase inhibitors) can sometimes be helpful for those who don't respond to other medicines so I agreed to try it. It has been a miracle worker for me! I have been on it for about 10 months and I have not had any severe depressive episodes and find myself going through the day without all of the terrible thoughts and cravings that used to haunt me. I went from extremely suicidal to functioning normally. I didn't even know I could feel this way!"

gkm (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 20, 2013

For Depression "I have been on many pills over and over trying to get my depression/bipolar under control. I would find something but then it would only work for a couple of months then back to square one. Ever since I was put on the Emsam patch I have loved it, I feel more alive, and wanting to get out and do things. I feel better about myself, I do my hair, makeup, and feel like I am part of society again. I have energy and the food restriction hasn't been that big of an issue, it has been a healthy change for me. Yes it is expensive and can have high copays but worth it. I was paying more for all the doctor copays and medicine copays then I am now for the Emsam patch. I would recommend it to everyone!"

AuntieBB March 25, 2013

For Depression "For depression, this is the very best for me. I still eat the foods that you can't with a pill form of a MAO Inhibitor. I have to avoid other stimulants, over-the-counter or meds. I take different meds for my anxiety. The Emsam patch has stopped my depressive episodes that started in Vietnam in 1970"

vietnam70 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 8, 2012

For Depression "I lived in a world of gray with a circle of awareness as little as two feet. I was the quintessential invisible man. I tried all the antidepressants for over 50 years. Everything was totally useless and with horrible side effects to the extent that one wonders why anyone would prescribe it. The first thing that actually worked was Nardil which opened me to a world of light and color that I didn't know existed, but it had its problems and became ineffective after a time. 6 years ago my doctor finally gave up and gave me this. She started me on the low dose patch which didn't seem to do much but the fog did lift . I seem to have few if any side effects. Emsam is worth trying."

ultimus gimp September 13, 2012

For Depression "This helps my depression more than anything I've tried. I'm using Emsam and the ease of use is excellent. I have fibromyalgia and this might also be helping my pain, fatigue, and libido since I've noticed improvement with all. At first I craved sweets but don't now. I have mild irritation at the patch site. I wake up at least once at night to urinate (where I didn't before) and I also want a snack at that time, too. Even with night eating, I think I'm losing weight on this medication. My one concern is that I am definitely losing my hair on this. I will see my psychiatrist next week for a one month follow up and if the hair loss is easily remedied, I'll stick with it. Expensive without insurance."

gigantor (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2012

For Depression "This is my first day on Emsam 9 mg. Very low blood pressure so far. Going to call doctor, in morning about that. Otherwise so far I have a little neck pain but nothing I can't handle."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2012

For Depression "Emsam is by far the best antidepressant I have come across in over 20 years of treatment in which I have been given everything under the sun. Welbutrin was ok but was weak, edgy and stops working after about 6 months. I have been on Emsam twice now for stints of about a year each. Unlike other antidepressants it doesn't have that plastic, fake agitaged feeling to it. Feels like natural emotions. It cuts my depression roughly in half. Still suicidal often, but not every moment of every day. I have a severe skin reaction to the adhessive that looks horrific but its worth it. Other than that and worsening insomnia it really doesn't have side effects. Well worth the rash. I have to stay at 6mg because the higher doses produce psychosis in me."

Anonymous March 1, 2012

For Depression "I tried EVERYTHING to get over what was first diagnosed as depression (30 years ago). About 12 years ago I started seeing a psychiatrist who thought I might be bipolar, type 2 (mostly depressive, no full-blown manic state) and started me on Emsam. It took some time-can't really remember but maybe a month but it works. Yes, there are side effects-insomnia being the worst but that dissipated in a few months. We all know that what works for one person may not for another but this is not an SSRI which can't "touch" depression associated with bipolar. And you don't have to be bipolar for it to work. I know it's frustrating but give it a shot-maybe you'll be like me and never have to try another medicine again!"

LKW01915 January 30, 2012

For Depression "EMSAM greatly helped the depression and anxiety. I had energy and a life again. But I had insomnia very hard to treat. I tried Ambien, Lunesta, Seroquel, Ativan and Trazodone but nothing helped. My Psychiatrist suggested Chloral Hydrate. "

Caryn Brown December 4, 2011

For Depression "I've been taking selegiline (Emsam) for depression for three years after 40 of pretty much everything else. This has been the most effective treatment I've had, lasting the longest with the best results. Side effects have been limited to skin irritation from the patch. The dietary restrictions aren't proving to be too restrictive. On a couple of occasions, I've had food with tyramine by accident. A bad headache for a few hours was the only result. (I didn't realize that I'd had the tyramine until after the headache had come and gone.) The price and need for prior authorization are my only real complaints."

Anonymous October 22, 2011

For Depression "I started Emsam when hospitalized. My doctor noticed the positive effects before I did. She noticed I was thinking more clearly and more active. After 2 weeks I began to notice my mental clarity. After 1 month I cleaned my house in 1 day and began to shower, dress, apply make up and do my hair every day. I did not have to think about what need to be done I JUST DID IT. This was the first time in my life I can ever remember just being ME. After 6 months I became allergic to the adhesive, I can no longer use Emsam. What I wouldn't give to once again KNOW WHO I AM. But I am lost in depression and pain. I would gladly live with the restriction of Emsam because I WOULD BE LIVING."

mygroomer September 20, 2011

For Depression "Where has this medication been hiding? I've suffered from depression for 18 years, having to change medicines every couple years and usually never feeling too good...just pulling myself through everyday. I've been on Zoloft, Effexor, Prozac, Cymbalta with low dose Abilify and Wellbutrin. Finally a month ago a new Doctor suggested the EMSAM patch. I feel like the darkness has been lifted. I have energy, can concentrate and actually look forward to doing or planning things. Even the Adderall I had once taken to help increase my energy level didn't do what this patch is doing. EMSAM has changed not only my life, but my family's as well."

:) June 13, 2011

For Depression "It really does work, the one side effect you have to overcome is it makes it difficult to sleep at night."

Anonymous December 22, 2010

For Depression "Tried Effexor, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Zoloft in the past with no results. EMSAM has brought me out of it after seven years. Only a little localized skin irritation."

Downerx July 26, 2010

For Depression "Have been using the 6MG patch for 4 weeks now with absolutely no results. No side effects. No skin irritation. Nothing. Doctor says I should be patient and wait till the 6 week point where it might finally kick in. If it doesn't we will go to the higher dosage. Probably just double it to the 12MG patch. Not looking forward to the dietary restrictions but it's a trade off I'm willing to take for relief from 30+ years of despair."

MelNcolly November 16, 2009