User Reviews for Emsam

5.8

Summary of Emsam reviews 7.9 35 reviews

Reviews for Emsam

Dan · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 16, 2019

For Depression "Currently on Emsam 6mg (selegiline) Such an amazing medication. Feel like myself, tons of energy, very social, and confident. Been on almost every SSRI and loads of other psych meds that have never worked. The lowest dose of 6mg allows me to eat whatever I want (that I'm not supposed to) not worry about having a hypertensive crisis. I take 200 mg of 5HTP (the direct precursor to serotonin) a day, too. Never had any adverse reactions. Feel great and love life!"

Booky · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I’ve tried so many psychotropic drugs for the last 30 years resulting in untoward side effects or ineffectiveness. My psychiatrist referred me for a second opinion med consult and the doctor I saw put me on Emsam for my MDD. I’ve been on 6mg for 3 weeks and I noticed a difference in about a week. I feel like the doom is lifting and I’m not as depressed. What amazes me is I have no flat feelings at all which is something that has left me feeling less than human on SSRI’s. I will be upping my dose after a month. Insomnia is a problem but I have it anyway so hard to tell what’s what. I’m still feeling anxious and tired but it’s much less and I hope with time that will get better. Also, it’s tricky to get the patch to stay on but I found a good spot that works for me. I put mine on the top of my thigh and that seems to be ok. So... what I’m trying to say... so far I like it!"

Smirch April 24, 2019

For Depression "I don't need to go into detail here about how terrifying going through your first depressive episode is. I was prescribed 6 mg Emsam. I didn't notice an improvement for the first three weeks. When I was bumped up to 9 mg... I began to laugh again. I was able to FUNCTION again. I'm to a comparable state to where I was before my depressive episode, however with a few alterations in my personality. The negatives: insomnia - It is rare when I am able to sleep through the night. I often wake up in the middle of the night, and have a lot of difficulty falling back asleep. My psychiatrist recommended that I take off the patch before going to bed, but this put me in a really weird mood in the morning. The irritability - I notice that I get frustrated / angry much more easily now and I never felt like this before. This medication has been an absolute lifesaver for me."

Vsharp · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "Was on the lowest dose, to prevent to many food restrictions. Did nothing for my depression- in fact made my mood awful, gave me nightmares in which I did unspeakably violent things, and a waking rage I have never experienced. Weeks off it, and my doctor is trying to get rid of my extreme agitation and anger with no success. I can’t interact with people without losing my temper. Comes in a very convenient patch form, but that’s the only positive, in my opinion."

Joyisajoy · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 24, 2018

"I was diagnosed with Bipolar I and anxiety 17 years (post-partum) and had spent much of that time depressed and/or suicidal. I had so many hospitalizations that I lost count. I'm telling you: it is at least worth a try. I tried every other combination and all of the SSRI meds and the group of tricyclics. I also have had various rounds of e.c.t., but nothing has helped as much as EMSAM. I do not find the dietary restrictions to be much of an issue. I know that not everyone tolerates different medications, but this has truly been a life saver for me. The down side is the cost of the drug. I am fortunate at this time that my insurance covers it."

Z-Nine · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Is a potential cure for your depression worth crippling debt? Well I guess you'll find out after you pay over $1500 for a 30 day supply. Unless you have your Medicare paid for you, look elsewhere."

Tunio February 16, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I took Emsam for 3 weeks, and before Emsam I tried many antidepressants,TMS and also ECT nothing helped. I was hoping this medicine would help but sides effects are unbearable stomach pain, indigestion, nausea, upset stomach. I tried to relieved this with other medications like Zantac but with no effect. I really want this medicine to work but I have no luck again. I don’t know what to do now because my options are limited."

FosterM December 20, 2017

For Depression "Have taken 8 different SSRI medications. All were beneficial and provided relief. But all also fizzled out after a period of time. Have been through 2 full treatments of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. Great relief but for only a 3 month period. Have had 8 treatments of ECT with no benefit. The 12 mg Emsam patch has been a literal life saver for me. The side effects are a piece of cake as far as I’m concerned. One rare side effect that I experienced was that it lowered my blood pressure. I learned that having blood pressure levels normal is really debilitating. But this medicine has completely and totally lifted my depression...this is the best I’ve felt since my first continuous bout with depression in 1999!"

Dr disc · Taken for 10 years or more November 3, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "25 yrs on Nardil. One ER room crisis with cheese. Had multiple negative reactions with avocado and red wine. Switched to 12 mg Emsam five years ago. Over time I felt anxious. Reduced to 9mgs. Feel much better. Wanting to reduce to 6 mg. Biggest problem is finding a Shrink that understands Emsam. Seems you need to find your own way with Emsam and it is very expensive. I have had suicidal thoughts while on Emsam. They have been cyclical. No depression since going from 12 to 9 mg. My age 79. Still very active sex life. My weight is constant.exercise, bike ride hills, hike and surf. I watch the diet restrictions. Hope this can help others. Nothing has ever helped except MAOI meds. Tried all the others. Nothing else worked."

happypills8 · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 15, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "The side effects of this drug have destroyed my well-being, and I am not exaggerating when I say that. Everything was going very well the first 2 months I was on the drug. But then the insomnia started. And then came the irritability. Then the short temper. Then the escalated anger. And then came the panic attacks, leading to dependency on Xanax XR. Depression came back anyway when the insomnia started. My social anxiety has returned in a big way. The lowest dose was too activating for me. I would not recommend this medication for anyone who suffers from anxiety along with depression, even *if* your depression is worse than your anxiety. I've been off it for almost a week. Pro: transdermal = bypasses the digestive tract"

danjsul · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on 6mg for a week now. I know I will probably need to be on 12mg as I think I'm probably one of the most rapid drug metabolizers there is but I can tell things are different again. I've tried Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Trazodone and the traditional MAOI parnate and the only one that helped at all was Parnate which I stopped because of swollen ankles but actually started again this time when I withdrew from cymbalta again before starting Emsam. Parnate & Emsam actually lower my BP. I also take 40mg Adderall 3xday and Claritin D and don't have hypertensive crisis or SS. MAOIs are the only AD that don't make me numb & hopefully at 9 or 12mg it will be great. I get upset easier but I am happy easier too."

Noonesbusiness · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2016

For Depression "I actually struggle with the possibility of bp ii. At 6 MG I didn't have any response positive or negative except that is repressed my appetite, with infrequent feelings of rage,which were controllable with benzos (ativan). At 9 mg I began to have extreme insomnia (probably because it metabolizes as l-amphetamine or an adderal-like substance). At this dosage the rage I would feel was too much to handle, and was very much similar to what I felt on wellbutrin. I would caution anyone, if you have rage on wellbutrin, you may (as others have anecdotally said) have feelings of rage on emsam as well. It's worth a try still, however, as when I wasn't feeling intense anger, at 9 mg I did feel better. best of luck."

Carrw · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 4, 2015

For Depression "86 yrs old depressed 3 yrs. Tried all medicine, nothing. Electro shock, nothing. On EMSAM patch 6mg nothing. Up to 9mg back to normal in TWO Days! Got shaky and up to 12mg and have been great for 1-2 yrs. Drink bottle white wine at dinner out, have frequent sex, eat small amounts of forbidden fruit, hot shower on patch, if itch scratch patch, sleep like a baby no side effects. Would not go back to suicidal state I once was in."

Musicmomma36 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 3, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have tried several medications for my major depression over the years and Emsam side effects have, by far, been the smallest. There are no sexual side effects, no weight gain, etc. My moods are not "monotone" like I had felt on some of the other medications. The only drawback to this medication, in my opinion, is the food/drink watch. I personally don't have to modify much, but if you drink a lot or eat a lot of aged foods, this will be an issue for you on Emsam. Also this is an MAOi so there are medication interactions as well. But mood wise, depression, anxiety...this is the best ever!"

Rotiart · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2013

For Depression "I have been dealing with Bipolar II for most of my life without realizing it was anything more than depression with some bouts of super focus and productivity. After being diagnosed and trying a few different treatments that had worse side effects than the depression we tried Emsam at the 6mg dose. Almost overnight I noticed a massive improvement. While I tend to go into hypomanic states more often with this, it is controllable and I am more than happy to have this as the major side effect. I have been taking it for almost 2 months at the moment and hope that it keeps rocking!"

gkm · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 20, 2013

For Depression "I have tried what seems like every medicine for my depression and have only experience temporary minor relief of symptoms. My psychiatrist wanted to try ECT because nothing else was working and I was tired of being in the hospital, but I refused. She then mentioned that MAOIs(monoamine oxidase inhibitors) can sometimes be helpful for those who don't respond to other medicines so I agreed to try it. It has been a miracle worker for me! I have been on it for about 10 months and I have not had any severe depressive episodes and find myself going through the day without all of the terrible thoughts and cravings that used to haunt me. I went from extremely suicidal to functioning normally. I didn't even know I could feel this way!"

AuntieBB March 25, 2013

For Depression "I have been on many pills over and over trying to get my depression/bipolar under control. I would find something but then it would only work for a couple of months then back to square one. Ever since I was put on the Emsam patch I have loved it, I feel more alive, and wanting to get out and do things. I feel better about myself, I do my hair, makeup, and feel like I am part of society again. I have energy and the food restriction hasn't been that big of an issue, it has been a healthy change for me. Yes it is expensive and can have high copays but worth it. I was paying more for all the doctor copays and medicine copays then I am now for the Emsam patch. I would recommend it to everyone!"

vietnam70 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 8, 2012

For Depression "For depression, this is the very best for me. I still eat the foods that you can't with a pill form of a MAO Inhibitor. I have to avoid other stimulants, over-the-counter or meds. I take different meds for my anxiety. The Emsam patch has stopped my depressive episodes that started in Vietnam in 1970"

ultimus gimp September 13, 2012

For Depression "I lived in a world of gray with a circle of awareness as little as two feet. I was the quintessential invisible man. I tried all the antidepressants for over 50 years. Everything was totally useless and with horrible side effects to the extent that one wonders why anyone would prescribe it. The first thing that actually worked was Nardil which opened me to a world of light and color that I didn't know existed, but it had its problems and became ineffective after a time. 6 years ago my doctor finally gave up and gave me this. She started me on the low dose patch which didn't seem to do much but the fog did lift . I seem to have few if any side effects. Emsam is worth trying."

gigantor · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2012

For Depression "This helps my depression more than anything I've tried. I'm using Emsam and the ease of use is excellent. I have fibromyalgia and this might also be helping my pain, fatigue, and libido since I've noticed improvement with all. At first I craved sweets but don't now. I have mild irritation at the patch site. I wake up at least once at night to urinate (where I didn't before) and I also want a snack at that time, too. Even with night eating, I think I'm losing weight on this medication. My one concern is that I am definitely losing my hair on this. I will see my psychiatrist next week for a one month follow up and if the hair loss is easily remedied, I'll stick with it. Expensive without insurance."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2012

For Depression "This is my first day on Emsam 9 mg. Very low blood pressure so far. Going to call doctor, in morning about that. Otherwise so far I have a little neck pain but nothing I can't handle."

Anonymous March 1, 2012

For Depression "Emsam is by far the best antidepressant I have come across in over 20 years of treatment in which I have been given everything under the sun. Welbutrin was ok but was weak, edgy and stops working after about 6 months. I have been on Emsam twice now for stints of about a year each. Unlike other antidepressants it doesn't have that plastic, fake agitaged feeling to it. Feels like natural emotions. It cuts my depression roughly in half. Still suicidal often, but not every moment of every day. I have a severe skin reaction to the adhessive that looks horrific but its worth it. Other than that and worsening insomnia it really doesn't have side effects. Well worth the rash. I have to stay at 6mg because the higher doses produce psychosis in me."

LKW01915 January 30, 2012

For Depression "I tried EVERYTHING to get over what was first diagnosed as depression (30 years ago). About 12 years ago I started seeing a psychiatrist who thought I might be bipolar, type 2 (mostly depressive, no full-blown manic state) and started me on Emsam. It took some time-can't really remember but maybe a month but it works. Yes, there are side effects-insomnia being the worst but that dissipated in a few months. We all know that what works for one person may not for another but this is not an SSRI which can't "touch" depression associated with bipolar. And you don't have to be bipolar for it to work. I know it's frustrating but give it a shot-maybe you'll be like me and never have to try another medicine again!"

Caryn Brown December 4, 2011

For Depression "EMSAM greatly helped the depression and anxiety. I had energy and a life again. But I had insomnia very hard to treat. I tried Ambien, Lunesta, Seroquel, Ativan and Trazodone but nothing helped. My Psychiatrist suggested Chloral Hydrate. "

Anonymous October 22, 2011

For Depression "I've been taking selegiline (Emsam) for depression for three years after 40 of pretty much everything else. This has been the most effective treatment I've had, lasting the longest with the best results. Side effects have been limited to skin irritation from the patch. The dietary restrictions aren't proving to be too restrictive. On a couple of occasions, I've had food with tyramine by accident. A bad headache for a few hours was the only result. (I didn't realize that I'd had the tyramine until after the headache had come and gone.) The price and need for prior authorization are my only real complaints."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)