User Reviews for Jencycla

Jencycla has an average rating of 4.6 out of 10 from a total of 38 ratings on Drugs.com. 29% of those users who reviewed Jencycla reported a positive effect, while 49% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
4.5
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
5.5
Endometriosis
Summary of Jencycla reviews 4.6 38 reviews

Reviews for Jencycla

XxQUEENxX May 31, 2021

For Birth Control: “I decided in 2021 to get back on birth control and I ended up having high blood pressure when I went to the dr to get on it (I’m sure that was from nerves cause I’ve checked it 100+ times since and it’s been fine) But they give me Jencycla due to me having high BP. I have been on ortho tri cyclen lo in the past for 6+ years and it was perfect. I started Jencycla and the first month was fine. I even ovulated on it (I have severe pains when I ovulate, completely normal for me) Anyways, the first month on it was ok. The period I had after taking it the first month was pretty rough, I had clots, lots of them.. well my period finally ended. I was blood free for about 4 days then BOOM out of nowhere I start bleeding. HEAVY. On cycle day 11 I should NOT be bleeding at all. I’m on CD 14 and still bleeding. When I should be ovulating, I’m bleeding. I have had severe stomach cramps after taking the pill the past few days. I have not felt like myself at all. I’m calling it quits on Jencycla”

Sprbty · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 3, 2021

For Birth Control: “I'd been taking the combo pill for about 16 years and a doctor finally told me they won't give me them anymore because of the migraines I was getting. She recommended I try this one. The first 2 months was rough, breasts pain, random bleeding, MAJOR BRAIN FOG. I see that confusion is a symptom on the side effects lists, fine, but I feel like a different person. I Can't focus, hard time remembering, can't find the words, have a hard time explaining things. Has anyone else had these brain fog symptoms?”

babygirl14 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2021

For Birth Control: “I started taking Jencycla in October 2020. I have tried about every birth control nothing else has really worked for me. my only issue with Jencycla was that I did get pregnant while on it. I ended up having a miscarriage definitely caught me off guard. I take my pill everyday and at the same time. Other than that I have not had any other issue with it.”

L · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 28, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started taking Jencycla to help with heavy bleeding. My cycles were the opposite of what they should be... so instead of having my period for a week and not bleeding for three weeks...I was bleeding three weeks and not having my period for a week! I did have minor headaches when I started this. My pharmacist told me it would take at least 3 months to see any results so to keep taking it. The first two months were the same old thing but then last month was my third month and I went 17 days without any bleeding!! And this month has now been 22 days without any bleeding. Knock on wood I think it is working for me. So don't give up after a month or two give it time to get in your system!”

Hales November 25, 2020

For Birth Control: “I've started taking this Jencycla BC because estrogen based pills give me high blood pressure. I've been on it for about 2 years and haven't had any problems. Sometimes I get my period, sometimes I just spot and other times not at all. No side effects for me really. I take it at the exact same time everyday as prescribed and I have never gotten pregnant. You have to take it at the same time everyday or it won't work. Over all 8/10”

CCat · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 8, 2020

For Birth Control: “I am on my second pack of Jencycla and highly considering calling it quits. My periods were always 3-4 days prior to taking this pill and the past month my period lasted for 9 days and was heavy the entire time. My period stopped for 5 days and now I'm bleeding again. In a little over a month, I've gained close to 5lbs, my skin feels different, I have on/off depression and moodiness, and seriously the random and constant cramping. Also, I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but I swear I can smell chemicals from my skin and it only started once I started taking this birth control. It's a very noticeable and strong chemical smell that's especially strong on my hands......no amount of washing with soap gets rid of it. I'm giving this one more month and if the side effects don't stop/slow down.....I'm going to try a different pill.”

Annoyed · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 26, 2020

For Birth Control: “Jencycla has been the worst birth control I've ever been on.. my hair is so freaking thin near the front of my head since I started taking it, getting yeast infections, periods come sooner than expected, cramps, mood swings, weight gain. I'm switching pills now and hope my hair grows back and can feel confident again.”

Doglover October 6, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’m 19 and was put on this birth control due to migraines I was experiencing with previous birth controls, this birth control threw off my pH balance which caused me to have a lot of discharge, and many yeast infections which I never had before this. I also do not get my period on this birth control which I didn’t like.”

MsKlassy515 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2019

For Birth Control: “This birth control is garbage and I don’t recommend anyone take it unless you don’t care about getting pregnant. I used this pill Jencycla exactly on time everyday for 4 months and now I’m pregnant again. I’m beyond mad thankfully I’m married and not single. Please stay away from generic candy.”

Peaches · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 25, 2021

For Birth Control: “Well I ended up starting this birth control Jencycla November 6th 2020 because I found out my old birth control pills (Alysena) was effecting my liver more as it contains estrogen (I have NAFLD) & I was taking it for 5 years. Starting Jencycla everything was going okay I felt a little better but after a month I started getting confused a lot & of course thought it was normal as I was starting a new pill right? Wrong, Curiosity got the best of me 1 1/2 months into the pill come to find out this is a severe side effect of this pill. Since finding out I have stopped taking it and I haven't got a period the 2 1/2 month I've been on it either. I am hoping everything will go back to normal within the next few weeks until then I am 100% done with any form of birth control! My overall experience 0/10”

OAP29512 · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 17, 2020

For Birth Control: “I've been using this Jencycla birth control for 2 and a half years and my experience has been relatively positive. I am prone to migraines so doctor gave me a progesterone only pill and its been very effective at stopping pregnancy (which is my main reason for using it) but it doesn't offer many other benefits. My skin hasn't really improved but it hasn't gotten any worse either, weight stayed the same, and mood wasn't affected. First 2 or so months on it I was definitely tired and sluggish but my body got used to it. One side effect I don't really like is that every 3 or 4 months my period will be about 2 weeks late. At first this definitely scared me but its happened a few times now so I anticipate it.”

Ani · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2020

For Birth Control: “I've been taking Jencycla for 6 weeks and oh my it is the worst thing ever. I have broken out in these little bumps all over my body and especially on my neck and they itch really bad and I haven't had a period, but according to the test I took I'm not pregnant. It makes me kind of nauseous and made my skin break out. I read online that this is just when you first start taking it. I can't do this anymore I am not going to wait around for it to stop doing this, I'm too itchy and miserable and I'm just going to stop taking it”

Motherof3girls · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 18, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on this Jacycla pill for a year now. Chose this one because I wanted to breastfeed my newborn. This is the first time I use birth control so IDK how to compare to other pills but I honestly feel like this caused me postpartum depression. I feel on edge most days and really overall depression. I didn’t think it was the pill but upon doing more research I found that maybe it has been the pill messing with my overall mental health. I’ve gained tremendous amount of weight. I eat like I normally would over the years but I feel like after starting the pill weight just packed on easier. And yeah I also don’t feel motivation to do much around the house, I think that comes from the depression. I was waiting for a full year of using it to pass to really be able to see if I liked it. I haven’t gotten pregnant since on it. So that works fine, but at the cost of my mental health and physical lol”

CysterMister · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I was given this birth control for PCOS after my previous pill (Diane 35) caused blood clots to form in my body. The only side effect I had is extreme boob tenderness and tightness that went away after a couple weeks, though my nipples still feel sore. If I miss even one pill or am late more than an hour, I get a period. I didn't have a period for a whole year and even on Diane 35 I wasn't getting much but boy did Jencycla turn that around!”

NurseC · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 9, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “This medication made my life purely awful. I have PCOS and was placed on Jencycla for period regularity. Well, I was on it two years. Lost almost all of my hair, was having horrible mood swings and depression, gained more weight and became suicidal. My doctor kept telling me it was related to PCOS and kept putting me on more meds that I refused to take. So eventually I decided to stop taking it and honestly I never felt better. In two months I’ve lost twenty pounds, my hair is growing back quickly, and my mood swings have slowed tremendously. I do not recommend this med but like with any other it effects people differently.”

TX gal · Taken for less than 1 month August 24, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’m 41 and was prescribed Jencycla after recently having my last child a few months ago. Within a few days of starting Jencycla I had hives on my chest which spread to bumps on my hands and arms (some filled with fluid) as well as hives on the front and back of my thighs and legs. Due to COVID and having two small children I’ve not been out of the house (nor has my spouse). I’ve also not tried any new foods or detergents, or done any outside yard work. The only new thing I’ve been exposed to is this birth control. I stopped after reading a similar review on here and my itching resolved within 24 hours, however the skin blotches and bumps will take days to resolve. In total I took this birth control for 7 days. Maybe it would have resolved itself but the discomfort and physical embarrassment/unsightly look weren’t worth it. I’ve previously taken other birth control pill brands (16 years in total) without any issue. I will never try this one again.”

Stargazinggg · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I am truly satisfied with this birth control. I am being treated for PCOS. I couldn’t tolerate any other birth controls due to very bad headaches and nausea/ throwing up. Taking this so far has been great it doesn’t interfere with my daily activities.”

baby # 3 on the way · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 23, 2020

For Birth Control: “Used this Jencycla birth control pill as an alternative to my old prescription while I was breastfeeding. I am now pregnant with my 3rd! a lot sooner than I was planning. I never missed a pill and always took on time, I drank one time during this cycle.”

Jahni · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 12, 2018

For Birth Control: “I've been in all different kinds of birth control since I was 14. They have all had horrible side effects. I started this BC after having my first daughter because I was breastfeeding. I have never experienced a single side effect. Due to insurance issues I wasn't able to get this specific one and they switched me to "the same formula just a different brand" it was a no go!! I had mood swings and severe depression instantly. I only took it for like a month. Anyways, got insurance all sorted out and was able to get jensycla again. No joke guys my depression has actually IMRPOVED since being back on this mini pill. And still no side effects. I've been taking it for about 1.5 years total with a small 3 month break. 10/10 would recommend.”

ABC123XYZ333 January 12, 2016

For Birth Control: “I decided to post a review to hopefully help anyone out there who's looking for info. Me:I'm 39, no kids, no other medications, alcohol only a few times per year. My results: The first two months I had irregular spotting and two periods a month lasting 4 to 5 days each (the periods were 2 weeks apart so 4 in 2 months). After that, the next 6 months I have been very consistent, one period per month starting on the same day each month and only lasting about 5 days and no spotting in between. Break-outs have been more common in these 6 months just before my period starts, frustrating but controllable with sleep, a multi-vitamin and an acne cream to help. I have not gained weight, but struggle losing it. No harsh or scary side-effects so far.”

Kolie · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2020

For Birth Control: “I took this birth control because I have a history of blood clots. At first I used the nexplanon implant and that made me me break out and gain weight. Jencycla was prescribed to me a month ago and it is the worst BC I have ever been on. I am 33 and felt like I was going through menopause, it has given me the worst headaches, sore breasts and I super moody. I found myself more irritable and anxious while taking it. I have been on BC since I was 12 (for acne at first) so I have tried quite a few since then, and I cannot believe how bad this one affected me.”

KDW November 28, 2020

For Birth Control: “I started taking this Jencycla medication 6 weeks post partum, and I think it really contributed to my post partum depression and anxiety. Hair breakage has been a huge issue for me, but it wasn’t until I got my period back at 9 months postpartum with spotting in between that I started doing research and realized it could be the pill causing all of this. Moodiness has been terrible, but I also have had fatigue and frequent headaches. I have been on this for months and I am stopping it.”

Bella8999 October 28, 2016

For Birth Control: “I have been on Jencylca for 3 weeks now and I really like it so far. I have used the pull out method since I got married 14 years ago and it always worked... Until it didn't. I have always been scared of birth control pills due to the side effects. I tried several and they all made me very emotional and depressed so I stopped. I was worried this mini pill would do the same and it actually did the opposite. I am a very needy emotional person and within a week of taken them my mood did change but I am now not emotional, I am happy, I am a little but more bitchy but that doesn't bother me. I did feel nauseaus the first week but that subsided. I haven't yet gained weight, since I was expecting a weight gain I started dieting and that helped.”

anon June 12, 2019

For Endometriosis: “I absolutely HATE this birth control. I started taking it maybe 9 months ago and, although I am not pregnant, the side effects are awful and unbearable. I take birth control due to my endometriosis. I used to extremely sick in high school, I've passed out from pain, and have vomited countless times. I am 21, 4'11", 105 lbs and my flow was super, I also had the most irregular periods. I suffer from migraines and my old birth control was exacerbating them, so my OBG/YN put me on progesterone only birth control. When I take this medicine, I do get a period. It is still irregular, my flow is not enough to fill a regular tampon so I use a diva cup. The reason why this pill does not work for me is because my flow is irregular, my cramps are AWFUL, and I am getting horrendous acne (which never happened before). Even as I write this now, it is 3am and I cannot sleep due to my cramps. Earlier today I got a heat flash and vomited because of my period.”

Jen · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started taking Jencycla 2 weeks ago and I've had no ill side effects that others experienced. I did not start when I was suppose to, such as on the first day of my period and I am now having a very heavy period. It's a bit concerning because I thought my period was going to come on the last week of the pill packet. No big deal, as long as I'm not pregnant. I have not taken birth control my whole life. I'm now 43 and have two lovely boys. I decided to take this birth control as it is suppose to have less side effects. Im so glad my doctor suggested Jencycla.”

MrsS87 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 11, 2015

For Birth Control: “I was on this for 10-11 months. Worked great at preventing pregnancy, but caused acne, severe anxiety, chest pain, tiredness, bloating and just overall blah feeling. The chest pain and anxiety was enough for me. I couldn't take it anymore. My doctor switched me to this pill bc of high blood pressure, but I think this pill made it worse than the combined pill. I am done with birth control and it taking over my body!”

Mommaof4 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started Jencycla a month ago, I'm breastfeeding my newborn so I couldn't wait til I started my period to take the pills. I started it immediately after I got it, 2 weeks into taking it I started having heavy cramping and was on my period for 13 days straight, off for a week with heavy cramping and I just started again this past Tuesday. I also noticed a drop in my milk supply. I've stopped taking it.”

Cobaltbabe83 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 12, 2019

For Birth Control: “I just reviewed the other day. I forgot to add the most important thing. Looking back into the timeline of being on this pill, it made me extremely aggressive and moody. People I work with wondered why and how my personality did a complete 360 for the worst. I told them this was due to a bad med that didn't agree with me and left it at that. Did not mention it was birth control. I am a private person when it comes to my business. This pill turned me from a mellow person with a good sense of humor to this awful snappy witch who was slack in cleaning chores when I am normally a clean freak. It also made my hair more prone to breakage. I am back on a low dose levonorgestrel pill now and never felt better. Much calmer and bleeding has almost stopped. I don't recommend this minipill. But anything is always worth a fair shot. Most drs try their patients on what gets the highest reviews and best patient feedback. I let my new dr know what works best for me and luckily she came through.”