User Reviews for Nivolumab

Also known as: Opdivo

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Nivolumab.

Hodgkin's Lymphoma

Melanoma

1 review 8 medications
Summary of Nivolumab reviews 5.3 28 reviews

Reviews for Nivolumab

For Hodgkin's Lymphoma: "I have both NHL and HL, have been on Opdivo since Feb 2017, I've had very little side effects, mostly a small rash. My Hemaglobin went from 59 to 145, I feel great, and I'm preparing for a donor stem cell transplant in Sept 2017 I've had an autologous stem cell transplant and several different chemos Terry Burlington, ontario"

Terrytigger August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Opdivo (nivolumab) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "My mom started this treatment after her oncologist suggested that it was an alternative to other Chemo because is it was not as harsh. Well after her initial treatment ($27,000) she started swelling, couldn't eat, no energy, confused basically confined to her bed, and then the 2nd treatment, she had developed pneumonia and was hospitalized 4 days later, mom passed after 4 days, numerous antibiotics, blood transfusions and a lot of agony. I would not recommend this treatment to anyone. Its awful with life threatening side effects. I think this is just a money racket to get cash from the dying and the government."

Davidkiser August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Opdivo (nivolumab) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "My mother had ovarian cancer then non small lung cancer. This drug in our family opinion was terrible. We feel it hastened her death and she would have been better off with out it. Terrible side effect - she was covered with some type of horrible rash after the second round. And in hospital . Every time she took it - she would get worse. She got to where she couldn't walk . I think she would have had a better end of life without this. It felt like they were using her for money. : ("

Bunnyclover (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "This treatment is the bomb after only 15 treatments I am now cancer free. There wasn't much hope for stage 4 non small cell lung cancer, I truly believe this treatment is a game changer. The only issue is it doesn't work for everybody but the more they research I'm sure they will find a way in the very near future. I have had absolutely no side effects, when I first started the treatment after being on chemotherapy for three months which in itself nearly killed me, my weight was 50 kilograms I now weigh in at a healthy 69 kilograms and have never felt better I will stay positive that it will keep the beast at bay. God bless :)."

Lealee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Opdivo (nivolumab) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "My Dad started Optivo in May 2017, by the second treatment he was terrible sick, weak, no appetite, upset stomach and talking out of his head and confused. By the third treatment he so much fluid in his feet and was so weak he couldn't even move himself in bed..they should have never done a third treatment but was more concerned about the price of the treatment, my Dad died a week and a half later, in my opinion he spent the last part of his life miserable because of this medicine."

Terri73 July 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "Love this stuff works miracles I was stage 4 spread to numerous lymph nodes. I was diagnosed June 2016 and started chemo which knocked the hell out off me, only on chemo for three months. Then started opdivo after only 15 treatments I am cancer free. I have never had any side affects gained more weight than I needed actually feel better than I ever have. It doesn't work for everyone I think about 20% which I think its roughly the same for chemo. It's sad we need something that works for 100%."

Lealee July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Opdivo (nivolumab) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "My brother died from taking this medication. His cancer was in his lungs. When he started opdivo, the cancer quickly went to his brain. He died weeks later. Why did the FDA approve this drug?"

Anonymous July 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Opdivo (nivolumab) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "My husband was diagnosed with non small cell lung cancer in October 2012. He had surgery to remove 1/3 of his lung, chemo and radiation. In July 2013 had a double by pass surgery. July 2014, it matastised to the brain. Gamma knife shrunk the 2 tumors In September 2014 started another round of chemo, but 2 months later he had a TIA, they took him off the chemo. In September 2016 started Opdivo. Doing well no new tumors in the lungs or brain. Side effects are severe tiredness, sleeps all the time, body aches, depression. His quality of life is very bad . The depression really worries me. Has any one else been dealing with depression and severe mood swings on this drug?"

Jeannr May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "My Dad was diagnosed last August 20 2016 with Stage 4 Lung cancer. He came home from the hospital and he started chemo right away. He had about 7 rounds of regular chemo. We thought he was doing so well. He had a scan in December and they said it was stable. Still continued treatment thru February. In the middle of March 2017 my Dad went in the hospital. He was there for 10 days Dr. Said the cancer was spreading he needed treatment. The new treatment Opdivo brought him home and 3/29/17 my Dad had is first treatment of Opdivo. My Dad seemed to start going down hill couldn't walk was having a hard time breathing. He never made the 2nd treatment my Dad died 4/19/2017. I am not saying it was from the Opdivo but it sure makes me wonder."

KimK. (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "Very positive till mouth sores & rash Truly love the drug so much better than chemo allows me to do things I couldn't under chemotherapy"

92101 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "I was done. The choices were crappy. No more chemo could even help. I hate big chemo companies. Sorry this stuff works period. Now how do you stop... 10k a pop. They say to keep going."

Regnar479 April 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Renal Cell Carcinoma: "I've had 7 two weekly infusions and so far I've had no side effects, none! After 6 infusions I was scanned and I was told it was working really well. My kidney cancer in my chest lymph glands have shrunk and the kidney cancer that has spread to my lungs has also shrunk! Nivolumab is my second line of attack, the first being Pazopanib. I only got 4-5 months out of Pazopanib, but I had quite a lot of side effects with it. So taking nivolumab and having no side effects is a real godsend. I haven't felt this good in 4 years, I feel stronger and I'm putting the weight back on I lost taking Pazopanib. Hair/have returned to normal colour. I hope this lasts a long time for me and I hope this post helps in some way. Good luck and God bless all."

Des2e (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Renal Cell Carcinoma: "47 months on treatment in the phase I-b clinical trial. Started Nov 2011 finished trial Oct 2015"

Ben B April 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Opdivo (nivolumab) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "My mother died from lung cancer. Her last hope of this medication. Within a couple months she was gone"

Rayray11111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Opdivo (nivolumab) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "My husband was diagnosed with NSCLC in late April 2016. Started on chemo treatments in May 2016. Received 6 rounds of chemo. His first scan, I believe it was after 2 rounds of chemo, came back "great news", cancer had shrunk & some spots disappeared (or were hiding). He continued with chemo and had another scan in November 2016, now there were some new spots. His oncologist said he could not receive any further chemo treatments and wanted him to start on opdivo. First infusion of opdivo was November 23, 2016. By Thansgiving, November 24, he was not feeling well, so Thanksgiving was cancelled. On December 5, he had severe stomach pain, so he went to ER and was admitted. He was discharged on December 8. He passed away Dec 14, 2016."

Babe, as my husband called me (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Opdivo (nivolumab) for Renal Cell Carcinoma: "I was on Opdivo for 6 months. It really set me back, I had to quit it before it killed me."

S/3 January 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Opdivo (nivolumab) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "I have been taking Ondivo since March 2016. My cancer is now in my liver and the medicine seems to be keeping the cancer strictly in my liver, due to a PET scan in 12-2016. I have developed a red rash and found that lotion and creams do help. Lately I have noticed my nails looking strange and the thumb nails look like they may come off. Have not discussed with my doctor, and will do so at the next appointment. My cancer started in a knot on my neck and in my lung as stage 4. I only have the cancer in my liver. I am unsure as to what I will do considering that cancer has been contained to my liver only. I have had cancer since August 2013."

Powder2016 January 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Opdivo (nivolumab) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "My husband had 2 treatments, by the 3rd scheduled appt. he had died. My husbands primary cancer was renal carcinoma which spread to lung after 3 years. He started having a stiff neck with a lot of pain, very low blood pressure, and later developed an intracranial bleed, that was it, over. I really believe the drug may have caused more problems than good. Like the previous reviewer said, do your homework."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Renal Cell Carcinoma: "Yesterday we celebrated my daughter's birthday and Thanksgiving without my husband who passed away in June. He was diagnosed with Neuroendocrine Carcinoid Tumors in 2010 and survived a wonderful 6 years. He did very well with Afinitor until it began to give him pneumonia. In March this year his doctor started him on Opdivo. HIs energy immediately plummeted. In early March he felt well enough to plan a vacation to Alaska for early June. By early April he wanted to cancel it. He had 3 injections of Opdivo over March and April. He went into hospice in May and passed away in June. I'm not saying Opdivo killed him since his cancer markers were starting to rise before starting it, but they skyrocketed after starting it."

Missing my husband (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Opdivo (nivolumab) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "My mom started on radiation and chemo, traditional chemo did not work because the cancer had spread to her bone marrow. Her doctor started her on Opdivo and she went down hill from there. She had pneumonia and joint pain, diarrhea etc, the side effects were worst then the cancer. I would not recommend this drug to anyone, taking this drug was a HUGE set back for my mom, she passed away yesterday 11/21/16. Please do your homework before taking it."

Riccigirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Opdivo (nivolumab) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "Original diagnosis stage IV lung cancer, July 2013. Received chemotherapy every 3 weeks for two years.July 2015 PET test showed cancer had metastasized to liver. Started on Opdivo August 2015. I have been on opdivo every two weeks since August 2015. Last CAT Scan (June 2016) tumor in liver is shrinking AND NO LONGER ANY TUMORS IN EITHER OF MY LUNGS. Slight side effects minimal, slight body aches and tiredness."

Adla1889 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Not Listed / Other: "My husband fought carcinoid cancer for 6 years. He kept getting pneumonia with the cancer drug that had kept him stable over the last couple of years and had to go off of it. His doctor had heard Opdivo recommended for his type of cancer and he was approved by BMS for full coverage since our insurance didn't pay for it. He started it in March with a dose every two weeks. His energy level plummeted. After 3 doses over 6 weeks he decided to stop, but his energy kept declining and his tumors had grown. Also his cancer markers were rising rapidly from about February till he was put on hospice in May. He passed away in June. I'm not say Opdivo killed him, the cancer did, but the start of his rapid decline coincided with the start of Opdivo."

My husband passed away (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Opdivo (nivolumab) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "after chemo and radiation started on opdivo,had 8 treatments with the only side effect being sore mouth,dr took me off of it because my scans didn`t show much progress,sent me to cleveland clinic and they said to start back on it,now have sore mouth and my skin is so itchy i can barley stand it"

wolfcook2005 August 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Opdivo (nivolumab) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "took it after chemo stopped working.after 2 years...first 2 infusions went ok...3 days after 3rd infusion..my legs/feet stopped working..stayed in hospital 4 days legs/ feet slowly coming back..ran every test known to man,,,all normal..conclusion is a side effect of OPDIVO now off all treatment trying to resolve...better but still some weakness and balance issues"

ggasd July 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: "My Husband started on Opdivo in late January 2016 after just a slight change in his NSCLC Adinocarcinoma. Almost immediately he stopped eating and it was like he went over a cliff. None of the dr's thought it was the opdivo. They thought he was having stomach issues and nothing made sense. He got so weak by the 4th treatment I was not going to let him have a 5th. When they checked him he was almost in Adrenal Failure. Heartbreaking. He regained some strength, but not much. I lost my best friend, the love of my life, my husband, my partner on May 27, 2016 at 4:57 pm. This time last year he was baling our hay for our farm on a rough chemo mixture. The toughest man ever. I hate Opdivo and I hate cancer."

For My Husband (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2016