User Reviews for Opdivo

Opdivo has an average rating of 4.7 out of 10 from a total of 49 ratings on Drugs.com. 38% of those users who reviewed Opdivo reported a positive effect, while 55% reported a negative effect.

Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
Urothelial Carcinoma
Summary of Opdivo reviews 4.7 49 reviews

Reviews for Opdivo

SF Dana · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 15, 2021

For Melanoma, Metastatic: “My friend Jason was given this drug for Melanoma. He had a spot removed on his leg and his lymph nodes were removed. After that the Dr said he was cancer free but suggested he take this drug to stay in remission. The drug attacked his brain and caused his to lose the ability to talk, walk, and have proper motor skills and spent 9 months in a hospital bed in utter frustration and anger unable to do anything on his own including going to the bathroom. There was no recourse. Once it did the damage it was irreversible. He died almost a year later. Cancer was all over his body. He was 47.”

JJ · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2021

For Head and Neck Cancer: “These drugs poisoned my best friend. He had been doing well and after 2 treatments with these drugs he is a dying vegetable”

Pat · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 13, 2021

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “My husband, a smoker for 60+years, was diagnosed with nsclc in 2015. After several months of traditional ineffective chemo, his doctor recommended the newly discovered Opdivo. That was late 2015. It is now Feb 2021 and he is still going strong with no/minimal side effects. As I’m sure many fortunate patients can attest, every day is a blessing!”

Larrk · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 15, 2015

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “I started on Opdivo 6 weeks ago because my chemo and radiation did not keep the cancer at bay. I decided to try it to build up my immune system. The first time I had it as I was at the end of the IV I started feeling cold and my blood pressure shot up. The nurses gave me shots to bring it down. The second time I had it, every other week, They gave me some steroids first so I wouldn't have a reaction and I didn't. I did have some achey bones and breakthrough pain. The third time I had it and last time It went fine until I started having 103 degree fevers and my entire body broke out in a red itchy rash. I am on Prednisone IV's and I'm weaning off it right now but the rash is so itchy and nothing takes it away! Too many reactions...”

Adla1889 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 17, 2016

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “Original diagnosis stage IV lung cancer, July 2013. Received chemotherapy every 3 weeks for two years.July 2015 PET test showed cancer had metastasized to liver. Started on Opdivo August 2015. I have been on opdivo every two weeks since August 2015. Last CAT Scan (June 2016) tumor in liver is shrinking AND NO LONGER ANY TUMORS IN EITHER OF MY LUNGS. Slight side effects minimal, slight body aches and tiredness.”

Oldiebutgoodywife · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 17, 2019

For Melanoma: “My husband has stage 4 melanoma that developed tumors in both lungs 2 years after the melanoma was surgically removed. His infusion were a combination of the Yervoy and Opdivo. His tumors have shrunk to being almost undetectable on the left side and very small on the right. No side effects except a rash which was treated with steroids or ointment. We are beyond thrilled. This is an amazing medication.”

Davidkiser August 11, 2017

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “My mom started this treatment after her oncologist suggested that it was an alternative to other Chemo because is it was not as harsh. Well after her initial treatment ($27,000) she started swelling, couldn't eat, no energy, confused basically confined to her bed, and then the 2nd treatment, she had developed pneumonia and was hospitalized 4 days later, mom passed after 4 days, numerous antibiotics, blood transfusions and a lot of agony. I would not recommend this treatment to anyone. Its awful with life threatening side effects. I think this is just a money racket to get cash from the dying and the government.”

Brad · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 19, 2019

For Renal Cell Carcinoma: “Saved my life. Been on Opdivo (Nivolumab) for 3.5 years after being told I was about to die. All my tumors have shrunk, if not disappeared altogether. No side effects! CT scans are clear. No cancer symptoms. Doctor says I could live a normal life span. Treatment consists of a monthly half hour IV drip.”

fLB September 16, 2020

For Urothelial Carcinoma: “My dad was dx with SCCB, underwent chemo. After that, cystectomy w neobladder from parts of his intestine. The surgeon at MSKCC is top in the nation. Months later, a CT w biopsy showed metastasis in his lung, did fine with the Ipi/Nivo combo, but when switched to the Opdivo alone, he has been having more issues than when he was first diagnosed. Fatigue, low BP (80/50), anorexia, insomnia, anxiety, depression, mood swings, vision problems, eosinophilia, anemia, and the list goes on. After reading the reviews on this medication, I’m trying to make sure he is not given it again. It has led to more specialist visits for him than ever. Everyone needs to discuss quality of life versus quantity with their loved ones, prior to starting these meds. If one is constantly in pain, unable to eat, sleep, think straight, is constantly exhausted and fatigued, etc. is that really even living? It’s heartbreaking, to say the least. It may work for some, but for others, it has done the opposite.”

hesees July 31, 2019

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “I had NSCLC. I found out about April of 2018. The hospital I was going to tried radiation and chemo. The cancer had moved to the lymph nodes in my neck. The radiation shrank it some but it came roaring back. My Oncologist started me on Opdivo about October of 2018 and it has been smooth sailing so far. Here it is July 31 2019 and I look forward to maybe only one or two more treatments. My last two PET scans have been good. There is no doubt in my mind that I am alive because of this treatment. I have had some shortness of breath, quite a lot of fatigue, a rash or two, some itching.. Nothing unbearable, just uncomfortable. I am grateful for this technology. Having said that, I quite understand that people who have had negative experiences might even hate it, but how could I not give myself this chance?”

Babe, as my husband called me · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2017

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “My husband was diagnosed with NSCLC in late April 2016. Started on chemo treatments in May 2016. Received 6 rounds of chemo. His first scan, I believe it was after 2 rounds of chemo, came back "great news", cancer had shrunk & some spots disappeared (or were hiding). He continued with chemo and had another scan in November 2016, now there were some new spots. His oncologist said he could not receive any further chemo treatments and wanted him to start on opdivo. First infusion of opdivo was November 23, 2016. By Thansgiving, November 24, he was not feeling well, so Thanksgiving was cancelled. On December 5, he had severe stomach pain, so he went to ER and was admitted. He was discharged on December 8. He passed away Dec 14, 2016.”

Riccigirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 23, 2016

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “My mom started on radiation and chemo, traditional chemo did not work because the cancer had spread to her bone marrow. Her doctor started her on Opdivo and she went down hill from there. She had pneumonia and joint pain, diarrhea etc, the side effects were worst then the cancer. I would not recommend this drug to anyone, taking this drug was a HUGE set back for my mom, she passed away yesterday 11/21/16. Please do your homework before taking it.”

Fl Shopper · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2020

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “My husband was told he had 6-8 months to live. He had radiation and chemo and did well. After 14 months, his MRI showed an increase in size of his tumors. Six weeks before he died we were on a cruise. Four weeks after this his doctor wanted him to try Opdivo. He was dead within 7 days. Please read all you can about these drugs before making a choice.”

Terri73 July 20, 2017

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “My Dad started Optivo in May 2017, by the second treatment he was terrible sick, weak, no appetite, upset stomach and talking out of his head and confused. By the third treatment he so much fluid in his feet and was so weak he couldn't even move himself in bed..they should have never done a third treatment but was more concerned about the price of the treatment, my Dad died a week and a half later, in my opinion he spent the last part of his life miserable because of this medicine.”

ggasd July 24, 2016

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “took it after chemo stopped working.after 2 years...first 2 infusions went ok...3 days after 3rd infusion..my legs/feet stopped working..stayed in hospital 4 days legs/ feet slowly coming back..ran every test known to man,,,all normal..conclusion is a side effect of OPDIVO now off all treatment trying to resolve...better but still some weakness and balance issues”

Bunnyclover · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2017

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “My mother had ovarian cancer then non small lung cancer. This drug in our family opinion was terrible. We feel it hastened her death and she would have been better off with out it. Terrible side effect - she was covered with some type of horrible rash after the second round. And in hospital . Every time she took it - she would get worse. She got to where she couldn't walk . I think she would have had a better end of life without this. It felt like they were using her for money. : (”

KK · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 7, 2018

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “I started Opdivo in 2010 to 2012 had stage IV lung cancer it is now 2018 and living a normal life. Thanks for this product it saved my life . In 2010 the life expectancy was only 1 to two years on chemo .”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2017

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “My husband had 2 treatments, by the 3rd scheduled appt. he had died. My husbands primary cancer was renal carcinoma which spread to lung after 3 years. He started having a stiff neck with a lot of pain, very low blood pressure, and later developed an intracranial bleed, that was it, over. I really believe the drug may have caused more problems than good. Like the previous reviewer said, do your homework.”

WAnn July 10, 2019

For Melanoma, Metastatic: “I have been on this treatment since April 2018 and only got sick 2 times. Besides Vitiligo, skin rash and my thyroid being messed up this treatment has been great for me. My melanoma moved from skin issue to lymph nodes. The original large lymph lump has gone down immensely in size but has not completely gone away even though scans show if to be non malignant. The other nodes throughout my body vanished with this treatment and I am so glad I opted not to have any removed before treatment. It is July 2019 and I am still being treated monthly. Best wishes to others this has been a God send to me.”

wolfcook2005 August 29, 2016

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “after chemo and radiation started on opdivo,had 8 treatments with the only side effect being sore mouth,dr took me off of it because my scans didn`t show much progress,sent me to cleveland clinic and they said to start back on it,now have sore mouth and my skin is so itchy i can barley stand it”

Hill · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2018

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “My husband had stage 3B NSCLC with a small metastasis on his spine. Oncologist recommended Opdivo. Only had 2 treatments. After the first treatment he ended up in hospital with severe shortness of breath. He passed away a few days after the second treatment as the drug attacked healthy heart muscle. Don’t try this drug!”

Jeannr May 19, 2017

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “My husband was diagnosed with non small cell lung cancer in October 2012. He had surgery to remove 1/3 of his lung, chemo and radiation. In July 2013 had a double by pass surgery. July 2014, it matastised to the brain. Gamma knife shrunk the 2 tumors In September 2014 started another round of chemo, but 2 months later he had a TIA, they took him off the chemo. In September 2016 started Opdivo. Doing well no new tumors in the lungs or brain. Side effects are severe tiredness, sleeps all the time, body aches, depression. His quality of life is very bad . The depression really worries me. Has any one else been dealing with depression and severe mood swings on this drug?”

Broken hearted · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 11, 2020

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “My husband had been fighting this horrible disease (NSCLC) for two years. At one point the dr. said he was in remission. But the dr. still wanted him to try opdivo. I honestly believe the opdivo was what finished him. He had been on the opdivo for 3 months when the dr. said sorry but you have 3 months left and we are not going to continue the opdivo. Basically he said go home and die. Unfortunately he died 2 weeks later.”

Amos October 17, 2018

For Melanoma: “My sister (age 35) was diagnosed with melanoma April 2018. The cancer had spread to her Lymph-nodes but was confirmed to have not spread to any organs. In May 2018, after removal of 40 lymph-nodes, she had “no detectable melanomas”. She immediately began her infusions. Pain started within the first 2 treatments, but was determined to be a side effect of this treatment. Then in early September she was in such pain she went to the emergency room. It was shortly confirmed that she had large tumors were pretty much everywhere except her brain. Within 3 weeks she died. This treatment in no way worked, indeed her oncologist believes it actually accelerated her melanoma. Please consider not using this treament, it is like playing a game of roulette! For those that it doesn't work on, it REALLY doesn't work. She would have lived much longer by just dealing with the tumors as they arose and without the last 3 months of her life filled with terrible pain.”

KJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 6, 2018

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “My husband was given opdivo for stage IV non-small cell lung cancer. Three days after his third treatment, he became seriously ill (short of breath, fatigue, increased oxygen requirements) and was hospitalized. His oxygen needs increased from a baseline of 5L to 13L upon admission. Three days later, his oxygen needs increased to 30L and he passed away 10 days after his third treatment. I believe that Optivo contributed to his death at age 57. Looking back, he should never have started this medication.”

Ray · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 17, 2019

For Renal Cell Carcinoma: “I was on drug for almost 2 years, It worked for my bone metastasis and it shrunk my tumor in right kidney. Stage IV RCC, I was able to stop and been stable over a year now without medication. Hoping it will continue to work for a while.”

Sister · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 14, 2018

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “I am sharing my sisters experience with Opdivo. She had stage 3 NSCLC (non-small cell lung cancer). She started opdivo after a little over 2 years of chemo. The first year on it went great. All her scans showed no cancer. Then all of a sudden all her blood counts dropped. She was then diagnosed with AML (acute myeloid leukaemia) due to the opdivo.S he lived a month after that. The Doctors said the opdivo gave her a year she wouldn't have had with chemo. There is that but is only a chance to live longer with Opdivo. I don't believe it is a cure now. We are thankful for that one good year.”

Jessicap85 · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2018

For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: “My Dad had lung cancer, and it had spread to his liver. His doctor recommended starting Opdivo because chemo was no longer an option. He got his first treatment on July 24, 2017. He began having constipation issues, severe stomach pain, no appetite, with in a week of having the first treatment. Was admitted to the hospital August 5th, and died August 14th. He was suffering and miserable his last few weeks of life. I believe this medication contributed to his death. I think a persons body needs to be in a specific state for it to be successful. By reading the reviews it works wonders on some, and others they die very shortly after starting treatment.”