User Reviews for Nivolumab to treat Melanoma

Also known as: Opdivo

Nivolumab has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Melanoma. 50% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 50% reported a negative effect.

Nivolumab Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 46 medications used in the treatment of Melanoma.

Oldiebutgoodywife · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 17, 2019

Opdivo (nivolumab): “My husband has stage 4 melanoma that developed tumors in both lungs 2 years after the melanoma was surgically removed. His infusion were a combination of the Yervoy and Opdivo. His tumors have shrunk to being almost undetectable on the left side and very small on the right. No side effects except a rash which was treated with steroids or ointment. We are beyond thrilled. This is an amazing medication.”

Amos October 17, 2018

Opdivo (nivolumab): “My sister (age 35) was diagnosed with melanoma April 2018. The cancer had spread to her Lymph-nodes but was confirmed to have not spread to any organs. In May 2018, after removal of 40 lymph-nodes, she had “no detectable melanomas”. She immediately began her infusions. Pain started within the first 2 treatments, but was determined to be a side effect of this treatment. Then in early September she was in such pain she went to the emergency room. It was shortly confirmed that she had large tumors were pretty much everywhere except her brain. Within 3 weeks she died. This treatment in no way worked, indeed her oncologist believes it actually accelerated her melanoma. Please consider not using this treament, it is like playing a game of roulette! For those that it doesn't work on, it REALLY doesn't work. She would have lived much longer by just dealing with the tumors as they arose and without the last 3 months of her life filled with terrible pain.”

Ivy M · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2019

Opdivo (nivolumab): “After two treatments of Opdivo for Melanoma my father experienced many of the side effects, including muscle weakness, swelling (including in his brain), loss of appetite, constipation, droopy eye muscles, blurred vision, and irregular heartbeats and blood pressure. He is currently being treated at the Mayo Clinic in the ICU. He is the third case they have seen with similar reactions, but are having trouble treating the side effects. Thankfully he sought help before the symptoms worsened. My advice is to learn the side effects, and immediately let you doctor know if they appear.”

Mommas baby · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 10, 2015

“My mother recieved this treatment as part of a clinical trial for advanced stage 4 melanoma. She was given 9 months to live. As a reality of taking this "miracle" drug for Melanoma, she ended up with Adrenal failure and Advanced Diabetes. She died within 7 months. This is not a cure or a means of "living longer". Drug companies need to stop feeding on the time patients have left and leave them be. Honestly...do you want to sit with your loved one during their last days and talk and laugh and enjoy your time? Or watch them receive a multitude of medications in a coma state and die?”

Paul · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2018

Opdivo (nivolumab): “Everything was going well on the 2 week treatment for 8 weeks- then doctor tried to do a monthly dose and my sugar skyrockets to almost 500. I was hospitalized and had to start insulin shots! Still on shots for about a week hoping things get back to normal after the Opdivo is out of my system, just not sure how long that will take.”

NoCalgirl · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 17, 2019

“My boyfriend was diagnosed with Stage IIIC Melanoma in February 2018. I am fairly sure he had been sick for a few years prior to diagnosis. He had a 5.5 cm tumor excised from his upper arm and 18 axillary lymph nodes removed (one node lit thus the IIIC staging diagnosis.) Opdivo 480 once per month started in March 2018. He finished his last infusion on 4/2/2019. No Evidence of Disease as of last PET scan. The side effects have been extreme fatigue, muscle aches, diarrhea and rash. He has and continues to take Prednisone daily. He also has prescription steroid creams for the rash. He expected to feel better right away after his final infusion, this has not happened yet. Still very low energy and he sleeps a lot. Hoping he feels better very soon. Considering that until the last few years only traditional chemo regimen and/or Interferon were available we consider ourselves quite fortunate that Opdivo was made available. Time will tell. I hope an actual cure is found soon.”

Robert · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2018

“I had two treatments of Nivolumab two weeks apart. When I went in for my third treatment I mentioned that my muscles were sore. They did not do the third treatment and recommended that I see a Rheumatology Doctor. Saw her one week later and she sent me for blood work. Got a call that night that my sugars were above 600 and I needed to check into my preferred Emergency room. Spent 3 days in the hospital adjusting my sugars. At home I have to test my blood 4 times a day and inject insulin according to the numbers. They do not think my pancreas is improving and that I might have to continue this for life. "Diabetes". A week later it was discovered that my Thyroid was very low. Now on Thyroid medication. Debated whether to even start Nivolumab injections, because of all the side effects, but were advised by most of my doctors to start it and then I could always stop if side effects occurred. I guess you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Live and learn.”