User Reviews for Nifedipine

Also known as: Procardia, Procardia XL, Adalat, Adalat CC Afeditab CR

Nifedipine has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 123 ratings on Drugs.com. 41% of those users who reviewed Nifedipine reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Raynaud's Syndrome   7.8
Hypertensive Emergency   6.0
Premature Labor   5.2
High Blood Pressure   4.1
Summary of Nifedipine reviews 5.5 123 reviews

Reviews for Nifedipine

Jlynnpence21 · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “Recently found out I’m pregnant and had my last child early due to blood pressure so I was prescribed these this time instead of labetelol and have had horrible swelling in my legs and feet horrible numbness in my legs when sitting and upon standing get extremely light headed and a tingling sensation in my neck and head I switched back to my previous med but am still going through the side effects from this medication and am on day 2 without it. I do not recommend this med to anyone I haven’t got off the couch since I started it a month ago”

Riley February 4, 2021

For Hypertensive Emergency: “I had a left basal ganglia stroke due hypertension. My B/P was 220/125. I was 49 at the time. Upon discharge from the hospital & God’s hand, I was able to go home with minimal effects I began taking Procardia Er following the stroke & had multiple trips to the ER with severe symptoms of heart palpitations, extreme dizziness, excessive weight gain & swelling, shooting electrical like pains in my arms, joint pain, severe anxiety, random confusion, fuzzy feeling in the back of my head. I was told by the ER, just a headache...need to wait and see what the full effects of your stroke will be... I waited and lived like this, never knowing which day would be a horrible day of symptoms. Finally realized the first hour of getting up in the morning before I took the med, I felt normal with symptoms starting about 45 minutes after taking it. I know I have no choice but to take some type of but this medication has horrible side effects I still have issues with B/P and even this med”

Dk · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2021

Nifediac CC (nifedipine) for High Blood Pressure: “Worked like it said, it's lower my blood pressure on the first day. Being trying to get my blood pressure under control for the last 6 months. On the others hand its blocks you up, like your stomach is in pain and I mean pain. The pain gets better after about 5 days”

Jackie January 20, 2021

For Raynaud's Syndrome: “I have been dealing with Raynaud’s for 15 years. I live in the south so for 4 months a year, I invest in those hot packs to keep my fingers warm when outside. I also use warm water to warm up my fingers and toes. I love to snow ski but pretty much gave that up. I tried various medications hoping to find something that would help. Amlodipine did not help me. I also tried a couple of other drugs that didn’t work. I saw this site and asked my doctor for nifedipine and I’m taking the one that you take 3 times a day, 10 mg each. It started working the first day! A week later it still works! I haven’t had to run warm water over my fingers, they haven’t turned white or my toes! Because I enjoy wine and after reading some of the other reviews, asked my doctor if I could just take two a day (7am and 2pm) and she said that was fine. I have had no problems with doing this for the last 4 days. I plan to just take this med during the cold months only.”

Autumn · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 23, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Been using Nifedipine ER for 2 years. The last three months, I started noticing more side effects. With the process of eliminating all meds except for the Nifedipine ER, the side effects were definitely from the Nifedipine ER. More swelling in my feet & ankles & even my arms. Made me more stuffy, fatigued & tired after only mild exertion, bloating & constipation. The worst of it was the tachycardia I was experiencing. It was coming on anywhere from 30 mins to 4 hours after taking it. I have been diagnosed with Supraventricular Tachycardia a long time ago & it never bothered me until recently. It must be something new they are putting in the Nifedipine ER. IF YOU HAVE TACHYCARDIA, PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION. IT WILL MAKE YOUR TACHYCARDIA WORSE. It also didn’t keep my blood pressure steady. Doctor tried adjusting the dosage & it didn’t work & made the side effects worse. BEWARE OF THIS MEDICATION.”

Silvi chivichon · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Not a good medication, it dropped my blood pressure real bad I toke only two pills and end in the hospital I will never will take this medication”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month October 20, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I react poorly to BP meds. I have taken different drugs for many years always combined with strong allergy medicine do to severe hay fever. When I started taking BP meds, the allergy drugs apparently masked side effects the drugs were giving me. After many years it tore up my entire digestive system. I stopped taking everything. It took months for them to wear off. I never felt better. One day 2 years after stopping my BP is 180+/110+. Primary care said too high, and we began trying BP meds again. With out allergy medicine, my side effect symptoms were immediate, nausea, headaches and dizziness. Sick all day. I stopped all BP meds again and felt great again. Then we tried nifedipine XR. Within 1 hour I had insomnia followed by an extreme debilitating headache, nausea, dizziness and my BP soared. I have never been this sick. The effects have lasted now for 5 days. I only took one 30mg dose! For me and many others this drug causes severe reactions. I don't think it should be on the market.”

CC October 14, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I take nifedipine 60mg 2x a day. First started with 30mg 1x a day, my blood pressure was still high so Dr increased to 60mg a day and 30 mg at night. Later switched it to 60mg 2x a day. Side effects in the beginning dizziness and fast heart rate. At times it felt like my heart was beating out of my chest when I would wake up in the middle of the night. Then the twitching in my left hand told my dr told to keep taking the medicine. I would get really cold and shiver so I drove myself to the ER because my body was so cold Dr still kept me on this medicine. I have headaches, insomnia and anxiety. Dr kept me on this medicine and prescribe me anxiety pills. Now I have tingling in my feet, legs, hands, arms and the top of my head. I'm also having muscle spasms in my calves, thighs, arms and hands. These headaches are getting 10x worse. I have pressure in my head and chills going through my head with a burning sensation in the back of my head.”

bt · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 13, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “This drug nifedipine is truly awful. I first experienced swollen feet and ankles. Then sleep problems. After several hours I wake and can't go back to sleep. Extreme fatique. Extreme weakness particularly in arms and shoulders and upper back. I can't get anything done around the house. And now finally breathing problems. It works, but it is not worth the side effects because you aren't really living being on this medicine. I've been on it about 6 weeks. So much for modern medicine...My doctor is going to put me on something else soon”

JackieG74 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 12, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “The first 9 or 10 months on nifedipine for high BP I had a lot of the same side effects others have mentioned. Specifically dizziness, headache, extreme fatigue, edema in my ankles and feet, muscle weakness, flushing, etc. I have even had some hallucinations, not sure I can attribute that to the medication though. A couple of months ago the dosage was increased from 30mg to 60mg because there was a stretch where it wasn't seemingly working as well. Well the 60 mg was working okay at first, then we started working from home and it kept dropping my blood pressure to dangerous levels, to the point of passing out. I went back to 30 mg and my blood pressure is close to where it needs to be some of the time but it seems to be the best I can get on this medication. Close, but no cigar, as they say. I'm mostly upset with the swelling in my legs and feet, I can't wear my shoes anymore or some of my pants and to get the swelling down I have to lie down with my feet up for at least half a day to be able to slip on shoes.”

NervousNellie · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I took my very first dose of nifedipine 30 mg ER at 1:30 pm and felt great. At 3:30 pm I started with the flushing and rapid heartbeat/pulse. Then I panicked which made it worse. Called Dr he said stop it and it will take a few days for all the meds to leave your system. Now it is on to the next experiment. I abhor trying new meds, especially for the heart.”

Red August 14, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was having a lot of side affects from my other blood pressure meds, maybe that is common. Fatigue and restlessness and heart palpitations. After being tried on lisinopril, losartan and clonadine at different times, I felt none of them were safe. That the side affects were too bad...but I was very wrong. When they put me on time release nefedipine, my side affects increased, and they were so bad, I had to go off of it suddenly, I almost lost my life, my legs swelled with oedema, veins were popping up, I was having chest pains, my blood pressure was rising and falling, pressure behind my eyes, I was super close to stroking out or a heart attack I was told. I am still recovering. I have to take something so I started back on losartan.. My dr is no help.. I don't know what to do.”

Jc needs healing · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was put on this because it was thought that Labetalol was causing breathing problems with my pregnancy. Turns out the shortness of breath was due to Covid. This medication really makes me miss Labetalol, which my insurance now won't cover :( My heart has been racing, the headaches are severe and frightening, my muscles ache, I can barely sleep (whilst also feeling very fatigued) and my mouth is super dry. I can't do this anymore. I already have terrible anxiety. My bp was on average about 130/80 beforehand. So it did lower my bp in the 125s/70s range. I really hope my OBGYN has another med safe for hypertension during pregnancy I can take. Lisinopril never made me feel so awful. Pray for me please.”

Shay · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was initially on HCTZ (25mg) before pregnancy. BP was perfect through out my entire pregnancy, but after having DD, my BP increased. I started taking Toprol XL (25mg) and it increased my pressure to triple digits systolic and diastolic! I was then started on Nifedipine (30mg 1x/day) a few days ago and I’ve experienced the worst headaches. I am now swelling in my ankles and having the shakes in my hands. My BP is still in the triple digits and it’s stressing me out.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Nifedipine is the worst drug I have ever taken in my life..I have known NO peace at all for the past two months since I started taking it. My side effects from the nifedipine is headaches, dizziness, SHAKING ,TREMBLING, feel like am floating in water, feel like something is crawling on my body”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Horrible headaches and off feeling, made me light headed as well”

Kat · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “My doctor switched me to this nifedipine medication since we are TTC. She prescribed 30mg ER tablets. About an hour after taking my first dose I get a throbbing headache, nausea and can't sleep (I take it at night before bed) an hour later at 1:30am I get up to use the bathroom and it feels like my heart is going to beat out of my chest. I stand still for a few minutes and try to calm down and let my watch take my heart rate and it comes back at 139bpm standing still and it still feels like my heart is going to pop out of my chest. I wake up my husband (he's an EMT) and have him check my bp and heart rate. Bp is 138/88 which isn't bad for me but still not where it should be and heart rate while sitting is 95bpm but still pounding. The next morning any time I stand up my heart rate spikes to over 100bpm and I had a throbbing headache and nausea most of the day and it lasted well after the 24hrs that the medication is supposed to last. Will not be taking this medication ever again.”

H3 · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2020

Adalat (nifedipine): “Since using Adalat XL for x2 weeks it first of all lowered the Blood pressure significantly, then BP was out of control again, started of with the Cipalat for first x2 weeks given by pharmacist , then decided since Adalat was prescribed to get that to see if it will work better, then feet started swelling immensely, diuretics helped nothing, then went on like this for the rest of the month, started to have shortness of breath, wheezing, pulse rate went up with x10 per min , then started to have a very uncomfortable stomach, pain in liver area, constipated and windy all over, had pain in groin and genitals, was irritable, sleepless and depressed, stopped the stuff, but has been a week now and my feet still swollen and still very windy and stomach still blown up , how long will this take to subside?????”

Amen75 · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on nifedipine 30 mg for 7 days I have the shakes right now, my chest feels tight. It’s 1:25 am I can’t sleep. My heart is racing and my blood pressure is still high this whole time! The first 2 days it was 80 over 60 now it’s kinda high at 154/87 I been having headaches. I’m always tired this sucks. Tonight will be the last time I take nifedipine.”

Chip April 26, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “While taken nifedipine for 3 months I recently started having really bad shakes and tremors especially in my legs! I can barely sleep. Have anyone else had these symptoms”

Vally1978 · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 21, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was prescribed 30 mg nifedipine for the longest time with no major issues but after a while stopped controlling my blood pressure. After increasing to 60 mg once per day I started to have the worst side effects... Lightheadedness, flushed face and body, and then the heart would start racing. Even led to a 911 call in the middle of the night. Going back to 30mg now and might end up off of it all together. Controlled my blood pressure wonderfully at the higher dose but can't stand the side effects.”

Anonymous February 29, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on 30mg Nifepidine for almost 2 months now. I feel warmness (something like a low grade heat) on the left side of my body from face to toe. The symptoms seem to go away if I missed a dose for a day or two. I am also on Valsartan, but I do not believe that it is cause of these symptoms as I have been on Valsartan for more than 2 years and never had these symptoms. It has completely killed my libido and erection. I will have to contact my dr. to find a remedy or I will drop this med. My bp control has not been that effective (averaging 130/85 and I am only 53) for me to trade sexual enjoyment.”

Mikejr · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 26, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I took procardia for about 3 years while in college, and I was at a point I was sleeping 18+ hours a day and still tired all the time, I had put on about 60 lbs., and felt horrible and my blood pressure was erratic at best. I HATED this medication!!!!”

White female 58 February 22, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “dr increased my Lisinopril from 10mg 2x daily to 20mg 2xDaily yet BP high. Dr added Nifedipine Extended Release 30 mg 2x daily. First pill PM: 1/2 hour very warm face, mild head ache, voice changed. 1 hour BP down, I was thrilled. Face stayed warm, ears felt a bit itchy, Throat sore plugged, voice raspy. 2nd pill in am: face very warm, throat sore, ears itchy, BP still down. Felt good about results and figured side effects better than high BP. THEN third pill in PM: very sore throat, voice cuts in and out, raspy and I loose my voice 50% of words said. Feels like my throat is cut with razors. Mild headache, ears feel plugged face very warm , throat swollen under jaw both sides (balls size of walnuts) can’t sleep it is 1am and my husband is monitoring me as I lay with bag of frozen corn on my neck to help reduce swelling and throat pain. I wont take another and feel like if I did my throat would close off. Bottom on my mouth feels fluid filled and fleshy.”

Anonymous February 6, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was prescribed Nifedipine 60mg after a visit to the dr with a blood pressure being 186/100. I took the medicine and started feeling worse with horrible headaches for 3 days and on the 3rd day I was rushed to the ER and admitted to the hospital because I had a T.I.A. (Mini stroke) and a BP 211/126. Once the medication left my system my blood pressure stabilized. This medication is not for everyone.”