User Reviews for Nifedipine

Also known as: Adalat, Adalat CC, Afeditab CR, Nifediac CC, Nifedical XL, Procardia, Procardia XL

Learn more about Nifedipine.

Hypertensive Emergency 1 reviews 14 medications

Premature Labor 3 reviews 15 medications

4.2
Summary of Nifedipine reviews 57 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Nifedipine

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Procardia XL 60mg once daily for a few weeks and hate the side effects. It started out with simple tingling in hands, hyper active bowel sounds and some constiparion. Now I'm experiencing fast heartbeat. Although it helps to stabilize my BP, it's definitely not worth the ride effect especially the palpitations, which gets scary at times. I plan on stopping this med and switching to something else asap!"

SSD88 (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Raynaud's Syndrome: "After years of agonising pain in my fingers and toes exacerbated by army mountain exposure and "halo" training, along with cold water deep scuba work, I was finally diagnosed at 52 and at first put on beta blockers which made things much worse with multiple crippling attacks daily. A secind dictir put me in Adefin (nifidipine) and within 48 hours the pain, the numbness and the symptoms were gone. Now we are experiencing an early severe winter some symptoms have returned, but are still managable on my standard dosage."

ColdKiwi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adalat (nifedipine) for Raynaud's Syndrome: "Been on Adalat for the winter period started off good but after 2 months my left leg and ankle swelled and itched like crazy felt like dozens of bees stinging my leg. I knocked the Adalat off and it was OK doctor has now put me on Naftidrofuryl going to try but looks as though there's other side effect's with these tablets but give them a go. Anyone had a re-action with these capsules ."

Weary1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor: "I was given this medication at 36 weeks of pregnancy because they tried to stop the contractions. My doctor suggested this medication as a last resort. I was admitted a week later with no fetal heartbeat. Subsequently this medication stop the blood flow to the placenta ultimately causing my son Jayden to have a heart attack. It was not given approval to be administered on pregnant females and was in testing phases for pre term labor. This drug has cost me a lifetime of agony."

Regina Lane (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Just prescribed with this drug. I have had high blood pressure since 2004, no drugs have been able to lower it. Altace damn near killed me, my uvula was on my tongue. The doctors throw drugs at it but what is the cause? No one can tell me. Why do they think my calcium channels need to be blocked? Is that what is causing it? While on meds bp is consistently 190/113. Dec 24 2015 it was 204/142 on meds no headache."

everydamnnicknametaken November 17, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I was put on Nefedipine 60 mg twice a day two months ago. I had been taking Clonidine .3 mg for years. The Nefedipine does lower my blood pressure, but not as low as it used to be. Now it runs 145/65. The problem is the terrible fluid retention in my legs and ankles. I am relatively slender and I gained almost 20lbs in fluid since I started on Nefedipine. I can barely walk by the end of the day. I stopped taking it a few days ago (I still take my Clonidine) and will be switching to something else tomorrow with my doctor. Just not worth it."

RioFiero October 28, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hypertensive Emergency: "started w/hydralazine 100mg every 8hrs. worked for blood pressure. from 175/115 in hospital. dropped to 105/68. good bp but for heart rate up to 112. went to my cardiologist and he put me on nifedipine er 60mg. Blood pressure still good at 110/72 and now pulse rate down to 85-92. much better for me in the last month. Still on other meds and starting cpap therapy. had stress test and no heart diease or coronary artery diease. Had venous abalation on both legs."

old man 62 September 3, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "After taking a 30 mg tab one hour later felt like I was spinning and bp went up "

Bad drug August 13, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Raynaud's Syndrome: "It most definitely works at stopping my attacks when the cold hits. I used to have attacks all day, even if I just opened the refrigerator to take out the milk my hands would turn white. However, I get really bad muscle spasms. Mostly on my legs, but can be all over. I only take it when the temperature is cold and I know I will be outside watching a sporting event. I just started taking it again this week and have been getting muscle spasms in my jaw and behind my ribs as well as my calfs. It is the old things that allows me to be outside to watch my kids games so I will use it on a limited basis."

KathySab August 2, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Doctor started me on 60 mg to control my BP, later increased to 90 mg. The drug worked great in controlling my BP and I had no side effects for about 3 months. Then the ankle swelling started. It got to a point where I was limping and it was painful to walk down stairs. Doctor decreased dosage to 30 mg and added Coversyl about 2 months ago. Ankle swelling is almost gone and mobility in my ankles is almost back to 100%."

Ryan 43 years old (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I was put on this medication after the birth of my daughter. It controlled my blood pressure to a point keeping it around 135/92 which was a improvement. I experienced leg pain and swelling in my legs and ankles, dizziness, and a feeling of being out of it. I went off it and on lisinopril and feel better. My blood pressure is now on average 120/80."

Lynns77 April 13, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I get stomach cramps, growling gurgling sound, passing gas a lot, urinate frequently, mucous in my stool I even pass the pill in my stool whole. I am scared to take it but it works for my blood pressure. I will see my Dr today to report it. On it now for 3 months."

Hemi a January 28, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Raynaud's Syndrome: "I do not have circulation issues, but I do have Reynauds likely as a result of Lupus. I also have BP on the low side. I take this once a day in the winter and have not noticed any of the side effects mentioned (headaches, dizziness) but my already-bad leg/foot cramps get much worse -- sometimes debilitating. To counteract that, I take magnesium in the form of Calm at night...my cramps are much better!! I guess I recommend both... I am wondering what time of day is best to take this..I can have sleep issues and don't want to make that worse."

cold hands December 19, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Raynaud's Syndrome: "I have just been diagnosed with Raynaud's syndrome due to my very insufficient vascular blood flow in my legs. I have been nifedipine for 2 days and my feet toes and upper legs are already warmer."

Old Bat December 4, 2015

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "After taking nifedipine 20 mg sustained released, I started to feel the side effects like fast heart beat and insomnia. This drug has not help to lower my bp, hence I immediately stopped it and took another drug as advised by my GP."

Leng_Yap October 13, 2015

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Raynaud's Syndrome: "the past several winters the tips of some of my toes turned black and were ice cold , but would return to normal when the weather warmed up. I had tests done at a vascular specialist and had some diminshed circulation to my feet but nothing that required any type of surgery . I was prescribed Nefedipine and within a week or two my toes returned to normal and my feet were much warmer . I only take this drug during the colder months"

eel125 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2015

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Procardia (nifedipine) for Raynaud's Syndrome: "This medication is a miracle for me. I have been diagnosed with raynauds over 40 yrs ago and the past 10 yrs I have been taking Procardia. Feels like I don't even suffer from this disease anymore. I highly recommend this drug"

lgj2 July 7, 2015

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I have had very crazy, high high blood pressure since I was 20. I have tried several different medications, but this one probably works the best. I am on 20 mg of the Procardia & 200 mg of labatelol. The combo works pretty well for me, but when I first started taking the procardia I had killer headaches for hours on end. It almost made me stop taking it altogether. But, I stuck it out & it went away after several weeks. I have been on this for four months."

Jesssssssss June 13, 2015

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Raynaud's Syndrome: "Diagnosed few years ago. Started on Adalat and holy moly I got use of my hands back in winter. Absolutely amazing. Canada is freaking cold around minus 30 so you can imagine how that works with raynauds. I also have high blood pressure so in my case it is one pill does two jobs."

nicknamepicker May 23, 2015

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Raynaud's Syndrome: "First off I am from England so this drug did not cost a penny, also I am under sixteen and have severe raynauds. My whole hands go white usually 1-3 times a day. It's awfully painful and very annoying so I went to the doctor who prescribed 5mg of Nifedipine 3 times a day. It was great, my fingers and toes stayed normal and I felt fine. I did experience some bad dizziness and nausea for about 3 days so returned to the surgery and they lowered my dose. Since then I have felt comely fine and it's stopped my Raynaud's. The days I have forgotten to administer the drug my fingers have gone back to there old routine so it just proves it works."

Charliee (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2015

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "My doctor started me on this after my BP was high and since I am a busy mom the once a day dosing would be easy. Within two days my blood pressure was controlled and I slept great. Nursing hint, take your blood pressure meds that cause drowsiness at night. The Procardia helped me sleep wonderfully. However, I ended up with a massive fecal impaction from this medication and almost shut down my intestines. Be aware it is a bad, bad side effect."

Bella's mom (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2015

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nifedical XL (nifedipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure in 1993, only Medication my Dr. found to work for me Nifedical XL 60 MG tablet. My Dr. started me on 1 x 60 MG, 1 Hydrochlorothiazide 25 MG, 1 Losartan 100 MG, but my high blood pressure were still high. So Dr. give me 2 x 60 MG tablets of Nifedical, & my blood pressure has been good since. I been taking 2 Nifedical XL 60 MG for 21 years now. I had no problem or side effect until my Dr. and Specialist put me on Avodart 0.5 MG I took for 27 months. The Interaction between Nifedical and Avodart enlarge my breast especially my right one & cause ejaculation disorder. If it weren't for this websites Interaction Information on my medication I'll be still taking Avodart. My Dr.'s didn't no or care, or say I'm sorry, or I didn't know; cold people they are."

Johntheone (taken for 10 years or more) January 3, 2015

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adalat (nifedipine) for Raynaud's Syndrome: "NIfedipine helps"

robmag December 22, 2014

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Procardia (nifedipine) for Raynaud's Syndrome: "I started the nifedipine/Procardia this morning. About 4 hours later the rare side effects kicked in. Heart palpitations, dizziness, headache, and I was FREEZING. Even at 43 I still call my mommy. She wasn't thrilled I was going to take it anyway since I have perfect blood pressure. But she recommended laying on my left side. That did help even if it did take awhile for me to get warm again. The headache is still lingering."

jazzNwine (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2014

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor: "I have been taking this for 1 weeks straight because of premature labor at 33 weeks pregnant. The medication didn't cause me a problem until about the 5th day I started getting horrible pressure and nauseating headaches. It has been working for the contractions though I still have them they are far more spaced apart and less regular. The things mothers will do for their babies that's all I have to say!"

hclark2786 May 4, 2014