User Reviews for Nifedipine

Also known as: Adalat, Adalat CC, Afeditab CR, Nifediac CC, Nifedical XL, Procardia, Procardia XL

Hypertensive Emergency

Premature Labor
4.2

Summary of Nifedipine reviews 6.4 76 reviews

Reviews for Nifedipine

For High Blood Pressure: "I took 1 nifedipine at 5am, and an hour later my blood pressure was lowered significantly. In fact, too low. For the next 24 hours, my heart was racing, and it felt like my heart was going to burst out of my chest. As I lied in bed trying to get to sleep, I could hear my heart pounding. I could not get to sleep. I called the doctor immediately, and she told me to stop the medicine. It is now almost 3 days later, and my heart rate is still elevated, ranging from 85 to 107. My normal heart rate is between 60 and 80 resting. Fortunately, my heart is not pounding, just beating faster than normal. I have no idea how long it will take before it goes back to normal, or if it will go back to normal. For me, this drug has been a disaster. I feel like I am on the verge of having a heart attack."

Brad (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Was taking 3 other beta blocker (losartan, metoprolol & clonidine) meds for hypertension. I was prescribed nifedipine 60mg ER to further lower my BP. Nifedipine effectively lowered my BP, but I soon developed a severe cough w/mucous and phlegm, and wheezing which is quite annoying. I took the nifedipine for two and one-half months and stopped w/o doctor's advice because I couldn't take the coughing and wheezing. Saw the doctor two weeks later and she said the cough would go away, but it DID NOT. No antihistamine or cough syrup has eliminated this. Seeing the doctor again tomorrow which is approx two months later; praying for relief. Has anyone else experienced this?"

Shooby (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Was on 30 mg a day. Lowers bp but 1st week my hands and feet started to tingle. 2nd week felt a ill feeling and no energy. The WORST! Also constipation and diarrhea! Ugh!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking nifedipine ER 30 mg tablets for 3 weeks. My pressure is lower but I cannot deal with the side effects. I am having spinning in my head, flushing in my face, numbness in my feet, pulse racing, and it feel like I will pass out. I called my doctor made an appointment for tomorrow to have this medication changed. This medication is not for me."

Tam (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "The most bad side effect of this drug is sexual dysfunction and lack of sleep : So is not healthy for guys who still want enjoy their sex life"

Le français (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Have been taking 30mg Nifedipine ER for two weeks now and with no changes at all to my BP numbers."

Jay (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I start taking Nifedipine for blood pressure. I took it for 2 days and I noticed my fingers swelling because my ring always was loose and it became tight. I also experienced what felt like my heart was lunging out of my chest. It gave me a good scare, was afraid to go to sleep on the 2nd evening never took another one. I am now on lisinopril that has hydrochlorothiazide in it. I feel great on that, my blood pressure is so much better. It was 209 / 92 but now is down to 142 over 76. They started me off on a lower dose of the lisinopril for two weeks but today they raised it a little and hopes of taking it down to the normal range."

jan April 24, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Took for two weeks. Did okay at lowering my blood pressure, but gave me agonizing migraines that made me nauseous as well. Doctor switched me to Norvasc"

Aqualily (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Started taking Nifedipine 30mg once a day for high blood pressure for about two weeks with no side effects. Controlled my blood pressure well but day before yesterday I began to have chest pains that sent me to the ER last night and determined to be muscular. Now tonight they are off and on and are so strong I may go back. On the recommendation from the ER doctor, I did not take my dose last night and my symptoms have not improved. Tonight my chest pains are much worse. Hoping to talk to my doctor about a suitable alternative Monday."

Anonymous February 11, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "nifedipine Er (XI) 30 mg Does great job controlling blood pressure, but the side effects are getting too much to bear. Memory loss, muscle cramps/stiffness, dry mouth and lips and tingling around lips, dry throat, increased urination, severe itching (head, hands, forearms, face), shakiness, upper (r) abdominal pain, vision changes, drastic hair loss, trouble sleeping. Put shod foot on floor and couldn't tell if it was on floor or not."

Mrs. Whipple February 6, 2018

For Raynaud's Syndrome: "I suffer from acute Raynaud's, in that I suffer it 24/7 even if in the warm my feet especially can turn into ''blocks of ice'' and I have painful stiffness of the hands and feet and a painful tingling rotating from one to the other all the time - if I get cold it is much worse. I was initially put on Nifedipine 5 mg three times a day which help with the worst symptoms for two months but the body adapted and it no longer helped as much. After tests my GP raised the dosage to 10 mg 3 times a day which has helped the Raynaud's somewhat but I cannot cope with the side effects of dizziness, sternum pain and extreme exhaustion so will have to revert to the lesser dosage of 5 mg which doesn't help me really. I am most disappointed and frustrated and wonder if there is any other help out there ?"

Revtz (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 29, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I am posting again. It's been about 6 months. Nifedipine has dropped my Blood Pressure significantly. Daily readings are 120 over 71. It's a medical miracle for me. No side effects. Not taking any other meds at this time."

male56 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "The pills dont even dissolve in my system. There is a hard plastic like substance on them under the coating. I just poop them out. Waste of money. "

Anonymous January 2, 2018

Nifedical XL (nifedipine) for High Blood Pressure: "Been taking this med Nifedica XL for 2 weeks n my pressure is still high. I was taking before Atorvastatin 10 mg for my cholesterol , then theDr gave me a new one that is Nifedica XL 30 mg for my bp and my pressure is still high"

Des press December 4, 2017

Nifedical XL (nifedipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I have been prescribed this medicine for my out of control blood pressure. First week no problems and my blood pressure went down tremendously. The second week not so good. I had muscle pains in my stomach and legs! Also my lips swelled up so bad! I couldn't continue taking that now on just lisinopril."

Hbp trouble (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "this medication makes my gums swell. [ gingival hyperplysia]"

dd. gregorius September 2, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "3 weeks 40mg Lisinapril BP still at 150/100. Went back to the Doc yesterday 170/100 in his office. He switched me to Nifedipine and I asked if he thought Buspirone help me, He prescribe it also. Took those two with .5 mg of Klonopin. 121/71 after a rough night of work. I have been trying to find the magic bullet for 11 years. I pray this is it. To soon to tell. I will post again in a month."

male 56 August 9, 2017

For Raynaud's Syndrome: "Since taking nifedipine (fast acting/quick release), I can keep my Raynaud's symptoms at bay. I take it 10mg 3x a day, and it is a wonder drug."

jbop08 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 11, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "Causes chest pain"

Don'tlikepills (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 6, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Procardia XL 60mg once daily for a few weeks and hate the side effects. It started out with simple tingling in hands, hyper active bowel sounds and some constiparion. Now I'm experiencing fast heartbeat. Although it helps to stabilize my BP, it's definitely not worth the ride effect especially the palpitations, which gets scary at times. I plan on stopping this med and switching to something else asap!"

SSD88 (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

For Raynaud's Syndrome: "After years of agonising pain in my fingers and toes exacerbated by army mountain exposure and "halo" training, along with cold water deep scuba work, I was finally diagnosed at 52 and at first put on beta blockers which made things much worse with multiple crippling attacks daily. A secind dictir put me in Adefin (nifidipine) and within 48 hours the pain, the numbness and the symptoms were gone. Now we are experiencing an early severe winter some symptoms have returned, but are still managable on my standard dosage."

ColdKiwi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 21, 2017

Adalat (nifedipine) for Raynaud's Syndrome: "Been on Adalat for the winter period started off good but after 2 months my left leg and ankle swelled and itched like crazy felt like dozens of bees stinging my leg. I knocked the Adalat off and it was OK doctor has now put me on Naftidrofuryl going to try but looks as though there's other side effect's with these tablets but give them a go. Anyone had a re-action with these capsules ."

Weary1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017

For Premature Labor: "I was given this medication at 36 weeks of pregnancy because they tried to stop the contractions. My doctor suggested this medication as a last resort. I was admitted a week later with no fetal heartbeat. Subsequently this medication stop the blood flow to the placenta ultimately causing my son Jayden to have a heart attack. It was not given approval to be administered on pregnant females and was in testing phases for pre term labor. This drug has cost me a lifetime of agony."

Regina Lane (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Just prescribed with this drug. I have had high blood pressure since 2004, no drugs have been able to lower it. Altace damn near killed me, my uvula was on my tongue. The doctors throw drugs at it but what is the cause? No one can tell me. Why do they think my calcium channels need to be blocked? Is that what is causing it? While on meds bp is consistently 190/113. Dec 24 2015 it was 204/142 on meds no headache."

everydamnnicknametaken November 17, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I was put on Nefedipine 60 mg twice a day two months ago. I had been taking Clonidine .3 mg for years. The Nefedipine does lower my blood pressure, but not as low as it used to be. Now it runs 145/65. The problem is the terrible fluid retention in my legs and ankles. I am relatively slender and I gained almost 20lbs in fluid since I started on Nefedipine. I can barely walk by the end of the day. I stopped taking it a few days ago (I still take my Clonidine) and will be switching to something else tomorrow with my doctor. Just not worth it."

RioFiero October 28, 2016